Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamil Idiot

+7
Propagandhi711
Maria S
MaxEntropy_Man
FluteHolder
Impedimenta
Rishi
goodcitizn
11 posters

Go down

Tamil Idiot Empty Tamil Idiot

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:32 am

One Hidayathullah trying to argue why he opposes Kamal Haasan's movie:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/india-decides-9/vishwaroopam-cultural-terrorism-or-justified-ban/262949?hp

And we have misguided people like Max who seem to think that TN muslims are not as fanatical as NI muslims.

Back to top Go down

Tamil Idiot Empty Re: Tamil Idiot

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Why is this post titled Tamil Idiot? Kindly elucidate.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:34 am

goodcitizn wrote:Why is this post titled Tamil Idiot? Kindly elucidate.

Max is of the opinion that TN muslims are less fanatical than UP (or rather, north indian) muslims. I disagree. This Hidayathullah is an educated man and yet he is talking utter nonsense. And it is not just him there are many others in TN who are opposing the release of Kamal's movie.

It is ridiculous that Kamal's movie is being released in Malaysia but not in TN because of the protests of some muslim groups in TN. I have no patience or tolerance for these kind of people who insist on 'my way or the highway'.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 am

I thought you were referring to the Tamil muslim guy on the video who was idiotically saying that the muslim community was protesting because the movie was anti-India, not just anti-muslim.

I don't have a clue as to what Max had claimed on this board. But there are less fanatic muslims in Tamil Nadu as compared to, let us say, U.P. Also, unlike in North India, there are muslims in Tamil Nadu who don't have Urdu as their mother tongue (who are Tamil-speakers) and aren't culturally tied to the Pakistani breed of Talibanism. In fact, most practice monogamy.

As for those minority muslim groups in TN who have banded together to legally ban the showing of Kamal's movie, their motive might well be to get "noticed" as a voting bloc. Except for being delayed a couple of weeks, it is highly unlikely the movie will be banned.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am

This NI woman has awful voice. She is a horrible interviewer.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 am

Rishi wrote:This NI woman has awful voice. She is a horrible interviewer.

my favorite comment so far.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 am

When people like Deepa Mehta and Kamal Hassan make movies denigrating the Hindu society, they claim that their movies convey ideas and messages about how screwed up the Hindus are and how badly they need to reform etc.

But when this Muslim guy jumps up and down about this Viswaroopam movie, they are asking him to chill out. "It is just a movie, a fiction, dont take it seriously," they say.

Double standards.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 am

goodcitizn wrote:I thought you were referring to the Tamil muslim guy on the video who was idiotically saying that the muslim community was protesting because the movie was anti-India, not just anti-muslim.

I don't have a clue as to what Max had claimed on this board. But there are less fanatic muslims in Tamil Nadu as compared to, let us say, U.P. Also, unlike in North India, there are muslims in Tamil Nadu who don't have Urdu as their mother tongue (who are Tamil-speakers) and aren't culturally tied to the Pakistani breed of Talibanism. In fact, most practice monogamy.

As for those minority muslim groups in TN who have banded together to legally ban the showing of Kamal's movie, their motive might well be to get "noticed" as a voting bloc. Except for being delayed a couple of weeks, it is highly unlikely the movie will be banned.

The vast majority of UP muslims practice mongamy. A clear majority of UP muslims are Barelvis which is a liberal muslim sect. With respect to TN, muslims in northern TN know urdu while those in southern TN do not know urdu.

Further, 18% of the populace of UP comprises of muslims. If these people wanted to have their own political party (as is the case in AP) they would have succeeded but they have chosen not to have their own party and prefer voting for mainstream parties. (I am not denying the existence of some lunatic fringe elements but there is nothing like the MIM of AP).

The claim that SI muslims are more liberal than NI muslims is a myth. Most of the fundamentalist NI muslims immigrated to Pak.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I thought you were referring to the Tamil muslim guy on the video who was idiotically saying that the muslim community was protesting because the movie was anti-India, not just anti-muslim.

The vast majority of UP muslims practice mongamy. A clear majority of UP muslims are Barelvis which is a liberal muslim sect. With respect to TN, muslims in northern TN know urdu while those in southern TN do not know urdu.

Further, 18% of the populace of UP comprises of muslims. If these people wanted to have their own political party (as is the case in AP) they would have succeeded but they have chosen not to have their own party and prefer voting for mainstream parties. (I am not denying the existence of some lunatic fringe elements but there is nothing like the MIM of AP).

The claim that SI muslims are more liberal than NI muslims is a myth. Most of the fundamentalist NI muslims immigrated to Pak.

I never made such a claim. Nor do I agree that anyone who disagrees with you is automatically an idiot.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I never made such a claim. Nor do I agree that anyone who disagrees with you is automatically an idiot.

I am not saying YOU made such a claim, but that some people make this claim. I have always had high respect for people who have disagreed with me in a courteous manner. I object to intimidatory tactics of any kind in the event that two people disagree.

Your claim that i am somehow implying that anyone who disagrees with me is automatically an idiot is itself idiotic.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I am not saying YOU made such a claim, but that some people make this claim. I have always had high respect for people who have disagreed with me in a courteous manner. I object to intimidatory tactics of any kind in the event that two people disagree.

Your claim that i am somehow implying that anyone who disagrees with me is automatically an idiot is itself idiotic.

Just hear yourself. This is what you said: "Max is of the opinion that TN muslims are less fanatical than UP (or rather, north indian) muslims. I disagree." And you titled the post as "Tamil Idiot" because you disageed with his opinion. Now I am idiotic for pointing that out? Sheez.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Just hear yourself. This is what you said: "Max is of the opinion that TN muslims are less fanatical than UP (or rather, north indian) muslims. I disagree." And you titled the post as "Tamil Idiot" because you disageed with his opinion. Now I am idiotic for pointing that out? Sheez.

The 'Tamil idiot' which the title of my thread referred to was NOT Max. It was Mr Hidayathullah, the tamil lawyer, who was trying to defend his idiotic position of opposing the release of Kamal Hassan's movie on the basis of crazy arguments. And he apparently enjoys a lot of support which is why the movie was actually banned in TN. I thought it was a great shame that a purportedly rationalist state like TN is banning this movie while Malaysia which has a muslim majority is happily screening it.
My claim is also that there are many idiots in TN just as there are many idiots in UP. It is not correct to say that religious bigotry is more widely prevalent in UP as this incident has shown.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The 'Tamil idiot' which the title of my thread referred to was NOT Max. It was Mr Hidayathullah, the tamil lawyer, who was trying to defend his idiotic position of opposing the release of Kamal Hassan's movie on the basis of crazy arguments. And he apparently enjoys a lot of support which is why the movie was actually banned in TN. I thought it was a great shame that a purportedly rationalist state like TN is banning this movie while Malaysia which has a muslim majority is happily screening it.
My claim is also that there are many idiots in TN just as there are many idiots in UP. It is not correct to say that religious bigotry is more widely prevalent in UP as this incident has shown.

That is why my initial post to you was, "Why is this post titled Tamil Idiot? Kindly elucidate". You started your response talking about Max instead of this Tamil lawyer so it was ambiguous as to who you were referring to. Now the matter is settled and I have no beef with you. If you prefer fish instead of beef in my previous sentence, let me restate and say, "I have no fish with you!"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:03 pm

That is why my initial post to you was, "Why is this post titled Tamil Idiot? Kindly elucidate". You started your response talking about Max instead of this Tamil lawyer so it was ambiguous as to who you were referring to. Now the matter is settled and I have no beef with you. If you prefer fish instead of beef in my previous sentence, let me restate and say, "I have no fish with you!"
>>>
So for a vegetarian, is it 'I have no Cauliflower with you'? (sounds funny) Smile
Saare Ungalukku Rombathan Porumai Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 pm

FluteHolder wrote:That is why my initial post to you was, "Why is this post titled Tamil Idiot? Kindly elucidate". You started your response talking about Max instead of this Tamil lawyer so it was ambiguous as to who you were referring to. Now the matter is settled and I have no beef with you. If you prefer fish instead of beef in my previous sentence, let me restate and say, "I have no fish with you!"
>>>
So for a vegetarian, is it 'I have no Cauliflower with you'? (sounds funny) Smile
Saare Ungalukku Rombathan Porumai Smile

Laughing Actually I felt like saying, "No soup for you! Next ...?"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:06 am

here is what i said, paraphrasing myself -- the relationship between the hindu and muslim community in TN and kerala is different from the rest of the country, because the history of islamic presence in these two states is different from the rest of the country, i.e. muslims arrived to trade with the locals, rather than to pillage and plunder.

i also said there the strain of islam in TN and kerala is more firmly tethered to local language and customs with not much connection to the larger urdu-based strains that can be found elsewhere. i didn't say anything about the relative liberalism of northindian and southern indian muslims.

about their relative liberalism i can't say very much except i have never seen tamil muslim women covered from head to toe with the hijab. even bharathi seemed to have made note of this when he said,

dilliththurukkar seida vazhakkam adi
peNgaL thirayittu mugamalar maRaiththu vaitthal

translation: this custom of veiling to hide a woman's face, it seems like it's the practice of delhi muslims (his shorthand notation for northindian muslims). he didn't say thurukkar (muslims), but dilliththurukkar.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i also said there the strain of islam in TN and kerala is more firmly tethered to local language and customs with not much connection to the larger urdu-based strains that can be found elsewhere.
this is nonsense. GC also said the same thing. why is a poor language being blamed for what are the unappealing aspects of islam? it is also untrue that muslims in north speak in urdu to distinguish themselves from the other locals (hindus). just like as it is in the south, muslims in (undivided) bengal speak in bengali, muslims in (undivided) punjab in punjabi, in gujarat in gujarati. in UP/bihar they speak in urdu because the hindus too speak in urdu/hindi. their have a shared culture -- music, cuisine -- with the hindus.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:33 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i also said there the strain of islam in TN and kerala is more firmly tethered to local language and customs with not much connection to the larger urdu-based strains that can be found elsewhere.
why is a poor language being blamed for what are the unappealing aspects of islam?

i didn't say that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:36 am

the diversity of indian islam.

sanjay subrahmanyam says what i want to say, but says it more thoroughly and from the vantage point of a professional.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:37 am

Idiotic title of this thread (!) aside..Kamal has to be given a lot of credit and he owes these "silly/idiotic" people who tried to ban his movie..for making it a super box-office hit! It's going to rake in a lot of money, accolades and Kamal is perhaps going to be the (I don't think the wonderful lady- RIP would be offended if I say this)...Kamalahasan is like the Rosa Parks of Tamil Cinema!

I grew up in TN..and knew/know many Muslim women who wear the burkha (by choice)..they wear them when they want to..I had medical collegemates (and even Prof) who put them on when they wanted to..and took them off, when they wanted to. For many it was simply a tradition..in no way was it a symbol of oppression..they were educated, smart, tough..not to mention fun loving as they can be!

As for all the "mingling" and togetherness in TN..it all depends on the individuals and their families/traditions..and is mostly superficial, but we coexist and like 21st Century race-relations in the US..on the outside people are more friendly and nice..inside, the divisions are alive and well. Does not take much to provoke (for a liberal or moderate to turn extremist)..the first thing people run to attack..is the other person's identity.."the Black/White/Asian guy", "the Christian woman", "the doctor", "the SC/ST person"..etc. And if you want to hire someone..depending on the stereotype (doctor, accountant, lawyer..maid) you name it..people will see if they can hire someone from their clan, tribe, race etc..or if they have had bad experiences..will try to find someone they "owe something to"..(be it race, caste etc)..the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 am

Maria S wrote:Idiotic title of this thread (!) aside..Kamal has to be given a lot of credit and he owes these "silly/idiotic" people who tried to ban his movie..for making it a super box-office hit! It's going to rake in a lot of money, accolades and Kamal is perhaps going to be the (I don't think the wonderful lady- RIP would be offended if I say this)...Kamalahasan is like the Rosa Parks of Tamil Cinema!

I grew up in TN..and knew/know many Muslim women who wear the burkha (by choice)..they wear them when they want to..I had medical collegemates (and even Prof) who put them on when they wanted to..and took them off, when they wanted to. For many it was simply a tradition..in no way was it a symbol of oppression..they were educated, smart, tough..not to mention fun loving as they can be!

As for all the "mingling" and togetherness in TN..it all depends on the individuals and their families/traditions..and is mostly superficial, but we coexist and like 21st Century race-relations in the US..on the outside people are more friendly and nice..inside, the divisions are alive and well. Does not take much to provoke (for a liberal or moderate to turn extremist)..the first thing people run to attack..is the other person's identity.."the Black/White/Asian guy", "the Christian woman", "the doctor", "the SC/ST person"..etc. And if you want to hire someone..depending on the stereotype (doctor, accountant, lawyer..maid) you name it..people will see if they can hire someone from their clan, tribe, race etc..or if they have had bad experiences..will try to find someone they "owe something to"..(be it race, caste etc)..the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Would have been good if you would have responded to gyanputra's posts on sulekha telling him that the title of many of the threads of his posts was idiotic. Instead of reprimanding gyanputra, however, you preferred sucking upto him. I recall both Max and JM criticizing you for doing this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 am

Yes..thanks for the memories Rashmun. There are so many things in life I "should have", "could have"..and "should not have"..what to do? All I have is today and perhaps tomorrow. Is there anything nice you would like to say today- in the present?

Speaking of sucking up..why not to you? I recall some good things about you..let me see..right away, I remember your (seriously) nice response to my post about Pres. Jimmy Carter and Mrs. Carter and their healthy lifestyles. Thanks for that.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Maria S wrote:
Yes..thanks for the memories Rashmun. There are so many things in life I "should have", "could have"..and "should not have"..what to do? All I have is today and perhaps tomorrow. Is there anything nice you would like to say today- in the present?

Speaking of sucking up..why not to you? I recall some good things about you..let me see..right away, I remember your (seriously) nice response to my post about Pres. Jimmy Carter and Mrs. Carter and their healthy lifestyles. Thanks for that.

If you want to suck upto swih you are better off saying something uncharitable about the admin and/or the bash coalition.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Maria S wrote:

If you want to suck upto swih you are better off saying something uncharitable about the admin and/or the bash coalition.

The rock like unity of the bash coalition has been smashed into smithereens by now. It is every bash brother for himself now.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Rashmun wrote:One Hidayathullah trying to argue why he opposes Kamal Haasan's movie:

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/india-decides-9/vishwaroopam-cultural-terrorism-or-justified-ban/262949?hp

And we have misguided people like Max who seem to think that TN muslims are not as fanatical as NI muslims.

Tamils and Tamill Muslims are no different than other humans.

Equally idiotic and intelligent as others.

I'm happy Max lives in USA, or he would have been disillusioned by Tamilians years ago.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Why is this post titled Tamil Idiot? Kindly elucidate.

Max is of the opinion that TN muslims are less fanatical than UP (or rather, north indian) muslims. I disagree. This Hidayathullah is an educated man and yet he is talking utter nonsense. And it is not just him there are many others in TN who are opposing the release of Kamal's movie.

It is ridiculous that Kamal's movie is being released in Malaysia but not in TN because of the protests of some muslim groups in TN. I have no patience or tolerance for these kind of people who insist on 'my way or the highway'.

Must be handiwork of thalaivar Rajini, don't want Kamal to break his records Wink

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Maria S wrote:Idiotic title of this thread (!) aside..Kamal has to be given a lot of credit and he owes these "silly/idiotic" people who tried to ban his movie..for making it a super box-office hit! It's going to rake in a lot of money, accolades and Kamal is perhaps going to be the (I don't think the wonderful lady- RIP would be offended if I say this)...Kamalahasan is like the Rosa Parks of Tamil Cinema!

I am very sorry to say, you cannot generalize things like that, based on a few observations.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Maria S wrote:

The rock like unity of the bash coalition has been smashed into smithereens by now. It is every bash brother for himself now.

oh! when did this happen?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:20 pm

rosa parks?? why? i do not follow tamil cinema or kamal and hence curious.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:28 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Maria S wrote:

In my opinion an articulate, intelligent, and beautiful lady like yourself should stay away from impolite discussions.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Maria S wrote:

In my opinion an articulate, intelligent, and beautiful lady like yourself should stay away from impolite discussions.

alright - since you flattered me so much, i shall follow your advice.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:here is what i said, paraphrasing myself -- the relationship between the hindu and muslim community in TN and kerala is different from the rest of the country, because the history of islamic presence in these two states is different from the rest of the country, i.e. muslims arrived to trade with the locals, rather than to pillage and plunder.

>> It is somewhat true of Kerala.However, in Tamilnadu there is no documented history >> to actually prove. that the Kings encouraged the traders to settle by marrying local >>women and become Muslims.
>>In Kerala also, while the initial Muslim population might have been started that way,
>> the expansion was due to the pogroms of Tipu. This is a well known fact, offcourse
>> denied by pseudo-seculars in Congress.
>> In Tamilnadu there was the Madurai Sultanate intent on forced conversions.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down