Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dosa-making machine by an engg. student

+5
Nila
southindian
Rishi
Seva Lamberdar
indophile
9 posters

Go down

Dosa-making machine by an engg. student Empty Dosa-making machine by an engg. student

Post by indophile Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 am

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/a-machine-that-makes-dosas-in-a-jiffy/article4412180.ece?homepage=true

indophile

Back to top Go down

Dosa-making machine by an engg. student Empty Re: Dosa-making machine by an engg. student

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:23 am

indo garu, watisthis? recycled such news? ye kya haal bana rakha hai?

Back to top Go down

Dosa-making machine by an engg. student Empty Re: Dosa-making machine by an engg. student

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 am

Interesting development. Reminds of someone (an elect. engg. professor) approaching me several years ago to participate in the development of a machine to make (not cook) french fries.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:indo garu, watisthis? recycled such news? ye kya haal bana rakha hai?

Didn't know that SUCHers covered it already.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 am

indophile wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:indo garu, watisthis? recycled such news? ye kya haal bana rakha hai?

Didn't know that SUCHers covered it already.
how could you have missed the sansani, bole to sensational, current, "dosa vs dosai" headline? https://such.forumotion.com/t10931-it-is-dosa-and-not-dosai-says-max-s-favourite-indian-newspaper#84659

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:55 pm

No good.

The machine cannot make onion oothappa.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:35 pm

indophile wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/a-machine-that-makes-dosas-in-a-jiffy/article4412180.ece?homepage=true
Nice. If this helps, we should soon see 50% fewer marriages in TN.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:20 pm

What? Sill one needs to spread the batter? Nothing beats the dosa made with cast iron skillet.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Sasthi wrote:What? Sill one needs to spread the batter? Nothing beats the dosa made with cast iron skillet.

Seasoning the cast iron pan is the pain.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Sasthi wrote:What? Sill one needs to spread the batter? Nothing beats the dosa made with cast iron skillet.

seasoned cast iron skillets are available on the market.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Yeah, Lodge has pre-seasoned cast iron griddles. But I don't like the way dosas come out on those. They don't come out crispy.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:51 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:Yeah, Lodge has pre-seasoned cast iron griddles. But I don't like the way dosas come out on those. They don't come out crispy.

I use the same but get it right. The trick is to heat up the tawa...reduce the flame before you spread the batter and set it to the medium flame. Another age old remedy is to cut the onion into half and use that to spread a tiny bit of oil instead of cheese cloth...might work.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Sasthi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

seasoned cast iron skillets are available on the market.

You still need to season them and it takes time. Buy an OLD
Griswold griddle if you can find one!
We bought a carbon steel one made by De Buyer
and seasoned it several times before using. Now it has a smooth surface
and dosaaaai comes out (falls off) crisp.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 am

ashaNirasha wrote:Yeah, Lodge has pre-seasoned cast iron griddles. But I don't like the way dosas come out on those. They don't come out crispy.

i don't like them too crispy. i hate the way it's served in restaurants. my mother gets it just right with the crispiness.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down