Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ever played this game?

+5
Idéfix
Propagandhi711
Impedimenta
Maria S
Captain Bhankas
9 posters

Go down

ever played this game? Empty ever played this game?

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:22 am

when i was a kid, we always played cricket, hide-n-seek, chor-police, kabaddi and other silly games that have no names. briefly, i also tried my hands at this game that was quite a rage in one particular season. like most other games, i royally sucked at it because all i could manage was a limp bicycle tyre which had no grip or stiffness to keep it rolling without constant need to propel and maneuver it with a stick or hand.

ever played this game? _mya3023-6cr_500
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

ever played this game? Empty Re: ever played this game?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:16 am

Lol. Yeah I did. I was bad at it too initially.

The other few things we did with tyres was 1) we would tie that to a rope on a tree and use it as a swing. And 2) this was rough but fun. One kid would sit on one end of the tyre and hold it tight, while another one would drag it all across the yard. It sounds rough But when you are a little kid, going on such a fast galloping ride was pretty thrilling, and felt like an achievement too cos you had to balance yourself on those tyres.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:57 am

Ah, Capt. Vinod..am sure the girls were impressed even if you..well, tried:)

And wasn't tomboyish, and into more easy girl games-dolls, tea parties, playing with pets, indoor games etc.

Speaking of boys, girls and games played (!)..the differences- even if we do the same things are amusing;)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:20 am

no. i only played cricket with an examination pad as the bat and the fake ball but i was good at that game so my cousin brother would bribe me a samosa if i joined his team.

there was one other stupid game we played. my neighbor's mom had a wig on. used to love to steal it and hide it and watch her yell [nasty words] at everyone who came into the home until she found it "Accidentally" or we "found it" for her. my neighbor would help me steal his own mom's wig.

good times.

you know, my neighbor now also has a wig, i am sure but i ain't stealing it. just saying.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am

I was very Tom boyish. Would pull out arms and legs of the dolls and try hooking them up again in different ways.

Anyhoos. Talking about wigs. No idea how, but we had this old braided hair piece atrachment at home. Saw no one using it ever. Most summers, I would somehow put it on in the back of my boy cut hair. Then I would take a silver chain, and turn it into many loops and pin it on the front right of my hair. Then I would sit down in front of the mirror in a mujra pose and sing like rekha in her umraav jaan avatar, 'in aakhon ki masti ke....'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 am

Oh. And I would play cricket with my cousins using a book on really hot or rainy days. Basically we would take turns to close our eyes and open the book randomly. Then whatever number came on the even side, like 2, 4, or 6. That would be our score. 0 and 8 were out. And we would keep a tally of our scores for like 50 chances each. sounds lame but we had so much fun with it one summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

thanks for keeping us in the loop & updated w.r.t your teenage hijinx, impy and vb

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:when i was a kid, we always played cricket, hide-n-seek, chor-police, kabaddi and other silly games that have no names. briefly, i also tried my hands at this game that was quite a rage in one particular season. like most other games, i royally sucked at it because all i could manage was a limp bicycle tyre which had no grip or stiffness to keep it rolling without constant need to propel and maneuver it with a stick or hand.

I used to love this game. Fond memories!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Captain Bhankas wrote:when i was a kid, we always played cricket, hide-n-seek, chor-police, kabaddi and other silly games that have no names. briefly, i also tried my hands at this game that was quite a rage in one particular season. like most other games, i royally sucked at it because all i could manage was a limp bicycle tyre which had no grip or stiffness to keep it rolling without constant need to propel and maneuver it with a stick or hand.

Oh yeah. This used to be one of our fave games. We - a gang of some 4 skinny kids, extendable to 7 when kids from the adjacent lane joined us - ruled the streets with these, running in gangs round the block.

I had a tyre a bit smaller than the one in the picture, belonging to a very odd two-wheeler my uncle used to potter around in the early 80s. I've only vague memories of that bike(?) - it looked like an unholy offspring of a Rajdoot motorcycle and a Bajaj M80. This was a very good tyre because it was not too small like the no-good Bajaj scooter tyres one of my friends ran with nor too flimsy like the bicycle tyres. This one was the right size and had the right stiffness and was not too heavy either like a car tyre.

But my favoritest wheel was not this but a bicycle rim. When you run fast steering one of those with a stick, the friction causes a high-pitched racket. And at 8 or 9, this was a very good thing. I was the king of my street and my noisy cycle rim was proof of that.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:21 pm

In my not-so-insigficant town at present they used to cut the edge/corner of worn-out car/truck tires and sell it. We bought 2 of them for myself and my uncle. I played with that "tire" whenever I visited the town during holidays - NO ONE ELSE COULD DARE TOUCH/PLAY with my tire (all 20+ cousins visited that town). When they sold that house in 1998, the 2 tires were still hanging on the same rack - long unused.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm

I had a bicycle wheel rim, the Hercules brand. All it took was a stick to insert into the groove and push on. I could just guide the wheel, turn left and right with great deft and even do figure 8's on the tar road. (No beating with the stick on tires)

I got into trouble for circling around the traffic signal at the center of a 4-way intersection, stopping traffic in the process. The constable let me go after taking the stick away, thankfully not the rim. Later I switched from chasing a wheel to girls.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 am

good contribution from VB, maria, i'menta, carvaka, MD, uppili and GC. that made for a very entertaining read.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 am

>>>>When I was 8 or 9. If I remember it was a bicycle tire and I wasn't too bad at it, but may have lagged behind the other kids. One memory is running through the next street and the kids from that street tried to harass us.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down