What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:15 pm



Huzz, as promised, here's the image of my dosa. I made chicken pulusu (stew) to go along with it. The classic combo in my hometown is dosas with mamsam pulusu (mutton stew). Tastes heavenly! That's the best combo with dosas, not sambar or any kind of chutneys or powders. Trust me on this! I substituted mutton with chicken here. Tasted great!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

PS: dosai looks very good, btw.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 pm

blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:02 am

kinnera wrote:Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz
ha ha ha! dosas with chicken is sacrilege to me too but i am ready to break out of that mold. i will search a pulusu recipe on the net and try chicken pulusu with dosa. Smile your pic looks awesome! as i had mentioned to your on chat earlier, i do have a vacancy in my house for another cook. i pay well.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 am

kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz

Amen. I'm entirely with you on this, Kinny. The dosai orthodoxy is rooted in ignorance (or abhorrence) of other, better options.

Just one small niggle about your hierarchy though: after mutton comes prawns IMO. Chicken and the rest follow.

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4873
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:04 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz

Amen. I'm entirely with you on this, Kinny. The dosai orthodoxy is rooted in ignorance (or abhorrence) of other, better options.

Just one small niggle about your hierarchy though: after mutton comes prawns IMO. Chicken and the rest follow.

Have you tried drinking coffee with pickles ( hot lime or Avakkai) ? - the bestest combo to taste real coffee.

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Impedimenta on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 am

GK, stop polluting coffee. i am having mine now and wanted to post a picture of it but got put off by this aavakkai talk. i know aavakai tastes best with either plain hot white rice or cold curd rice.

Impedimenta

Posts : 2791
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Propagandhi711 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am


Propagandhi711

Posts : 6592
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Rekz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:16 pm

kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz

+1
Glad someone agrees to my tastebuds...
Idly or dosa i prefer it with chicken or mutton curry BESTEST combo ever...

Rekz

Posts : 1086
Join date : 2011-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Maria S on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Rekz wrote:
+1
Glad someone agrees to my tastebuds...
Idly or dosa i prefer it with chicken or mutton curry BESTEST combo ever...



Hello Rekz,

Absolutely!

May be it's "cultural"Smile

In TN.. many of our Churches..after midnight mass on Christmas or Early Morning Services (4 am)..they used to serve the best dosa(i) or idlies with Chicken or Mutton Curry..all kinds of preps- kurma, kari kozhambu, black pepper curry..etc.

Even at home, that is our staple morning breakfast..especially on festival and special occasions. It can be in Chennai, Vellore, Tirunelveli, Madurai, Thanjavur or USA..it's the same!

Hope you are doing well..nice to see you.

Maria S

Posts : 2776
Join date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Maria S wrote:In TN.. many of our Churches..after midnight mass on Christmas or Early Morning Services (4 am)..they used to serve the best dosa(i) or idlies with Chicken or Mutton Curry..all kinds of preps- kurma, kari kozhambu, black pepper curry..etc.
uff, so many combinations, so little time. random musings. let me take baby steps and start with dosai with pulusu. would you have any other reco. maria? dosa (to substitute for appams) with mutton/chicken ishtew instead? or dosa with chicken pulusu is good starter recipe?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Maria S on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: uff, so many combinations, so little time. random musings. let me take baby steps and start with dosai with pulusu. would you have any other reco. maria? dosa (to substitute for appams) with mutton/chicken ishtew instead? or dosa with chicken pulusu is good starter recipe?



Tomayto, Tomaato..dosai, dosa, thhosai:)

Pulusu? (as in tamarind added curry?) Most of the recipes I mentioned..don't have tamarind in them..I don't particularly like Chicken or Mutton Curry Preps with tamarind..*only add tamarind in fish, prawn curries..

On my pref list..Idlies, dosais, appam, idiappams with..in this order:

1. Mutton curry, esp. ku(o)rma *(starter) or paya

2. Chicken curry, korma or black pepper curry

3. Fish curry

Maria S

Posts : 2776
Join date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Impedimenta on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:00 pm

i am eating a veggie heaven on focacia from heavenly ham having been ditched mercilessly by my lunch partner. so, ya. dosais now look like dosas to me.

Impedimenta

Posts : 2791
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Maria S wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: uff, so many combinations, so little time. random musings. let me take baby steps and start with dosai with pulusu. would you have any other reco. maria? dosa (to substitute for appams) with mutton/chicken ishtew instead? or dosa with chicken pulusu is good starter recipe?



Tomayto, Tomaato..dosai, dosa, thhosai:)

Pulusu? (as in tamarind added curry?) Most of the recipes I mentioned..don't have tamarind in them..I don't particularly like Chicken or Mutton Curry Preps with tamarind..*only add tamarind in fish, prawn curries..

On my pref list..Idlies, dosais, appam, idiappams with..in this order:

1. Mutton curry, esp. ku(o)rma *(starter) or paya

2. Chicken curry, korma or black pepper curry

3. Fish curry
texas! i will examine this over the next few days and then take a call on the best combo to (have) cooked. Smile txs again maria!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 pm

you know, being reminded of your "black pepper" chicken curry, earlier today, on chat, i was talking about hostel food (that my older is eating) with BW. she asked me how he was finding it? i said great (hostel food is veggie). then she logged out. but then it struck me that anything you cook in the south always tastes better (from my recent visits to bangalore) than what you do in the north. it is because the spices are fresh there. i think.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Maria S on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:36 pm


You are welcome HK.

When I say- Black Pepper Chicken curry (Milagu) , this recipe is close to what I usually prepare:

http://myerecipecorner.blogspot.com/2011/07/chettinad-pepper-chicken-curry.html


*Certainly the fresh spices makes a difference. That seems to be slowly changing in many places in the South (at least in Chennai), where people are using packaged spices, "instant" masalas etc more and more!

Maria S

Posts : 2776
Join date : 2011-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:05 pm

kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz


I see that all the carnivores are trying to shh up the iyerinis. I've tasted all the combos, and I think dosa -chicken combo is sorta overkill. Dosa so delicately flavored, it just gets drowned in all the spiciness of the chicken curry. You feel like you are eating the chicken curry by itself, which is fine, when you like chicken, which most people who tend to eat dosa with chicken do.

It is best eaten with some nice, spicy chutneys, IMO.

Vada or garelu, on the other hand, is a different story. The dough is so thick, even when deep fried and crispy, it still tends to be bland, so it goes very well with spicy chicken or mutton stews.

I served dosa to a NI guest who rolled up my chicken 65 in it, and ate it like a wrap. I just assumed both of them were so bad, that was the only way he could get them in.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Merlot, I take your word. Will try it with prawns next time.

Asha, don't know what chicken curry you tried it with. That could make a difference. Anyway, Mutton stew (mamsam pulusu) with dosas is a classic combo. I actually committed blasphemy by substituting mutton with chicken. The masala is the same for both though.

Maria, the chicken and mutton pulusulu that i mentioned above don't have tamarind in it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm


Today's dinner-Ponganalu (made with the dosa batter)



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by truthbetold on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Kinney and merlot,
chicken with mutton curry beats most others. If that bothers some people here it tastes even better. One place i would like to go back is a small restaurant near big annapurna in coimbatore. Best dosa mutton combo.

truthbetold

Posts : 6578
Join date : 2011-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kinney and merlot,
chicken with mutton curry beats most others. If that bothers some people here it tastes even better. One place i would like to go back is a small restaurant near big annapurna in coimbatore. Best dosa mutton combo.

High Five, TBT Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 pm

kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz

Yuck!

I am still getting over the imagery of idlis stuffed with eggs that MD kindly(!) shared on Sulekha and now this. Food pollution and abuse, that's what all this is. And yeah, that's that.

Paneer Dosai seems almost palatable, in light of all this.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Maria S wrote:
*Certainly the fresh spices makes a difference. That seems to be slowly changing in many places in the South (at least in Chennai), where people are using packaged spices, "instant" masalas etc more and more!
true. this trend is all over. i was thinking on slightly different lines. take the humble cardamom for example. kerala, karnataka and TN lead in its production. in the south you can literally pluck it from your backyard and crush it. whereas here you have to rely on imported (from the south) cardamom. also we so many curry trees in the south all over; as if it grows like a weed. curry leaves (that i have lately taken a fondness for in my buttermilky onion raita) that we use here is not fresh.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Kris on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kinney and merlot,
chicken with mutton curry beats most others. If that bothers some people here it tastes even better. One place i would like to go back is a small restaurant near big annapurna in coimbatore. Best dosa mutton combo.



>>>>> I have eaten at annapoorna in c'tore which I thought was vegetarian. From what i remember food was very good, but I have never tried meat sides with dosa/idli. Pretty much all indian meat dishes have been Hindian/Moghlai for me

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:...in the south you can literally pluck it from your backyard and crush it.
hahaha @"plucking it" from one's backyard, you plucker, you! sounds a lot like penius seetharamayya's mother "stitching"... hahaha... a silk vest for him to wear to thirupathi.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Posts : 1251
Join date : 2011-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:00 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:...in the south you can literally pluck it from your backyard and crush it.
hahaha @"plucking it" from one's backyard, you plucker, you! sounds a lot like penius seetharamayya's mother "stitching"... hahaha... a silk vest for him to wear to thirupathi.
what you goin on about old man? how's rosie baabi?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:29 am

kinnera wrote:
Today's dinner-Ponganalu (made with the dosa batter)
this looks easy interesting! i think we will try it this week itself with coconut chutney. will post pics.
http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/03/20/ponganalu-gunta-pongadalu/

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 am

kinnera wrote:
Today's dinner-Ponganalu (made with the dosa batter)



Looks good - hope this wasn't dunked in chicken pulusu :-)

The tamilian version is called 'paniyaaram'. Wonder what that word means.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:24 am

ashaNirasha wrote:
kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.

Shhh...what do you iyerinis know abt chikkin and mutton? I tasted dosas with all combos, so I shld be able to tell what's the best. This is the best combo (mutton is the best, chiken second best and e'thing comes after that)

Razz


I see that all the carnivores are trying to shh up the iyerinis. I've tasted all the combos, and I think dosa -chicken combo is sorta overkill. Dosa so delicately flavored, it just gets drowned in all the spiciness of the chicken curry. You feel like you are eating the chicken curry by itself, which is fine, when you like chicken, which most people who tend to eat dosa with chicken do.

It is best eaten with some nice, spicy chutneys, IMO.

Vada or garelu, on the other hand, is a different story. The dough is so thick, even when deep fried and crispy, it still tends to be bland, so it goes very well with spicy chicken or mutton stews.

I served dosa to a NI guest who rolled up my chicken 65 in it, and ate it like a wrap. I just assumed both of them were so bad, that was the only way he could get them in.

Look who is here! Could you visit us more often?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:18 am

blabberwock wrote:The tamilian version is called 'paniyaaram'.
of course! there has to be a tamil version of it.
Wonder what that word means.
you don't know what paniyaaram means? loosely translated it means "this dish was invented by tambrahms." it is a tamil loan word from ardh magadhi or pali so that is why you are unfamiliar with its eytmology. we are making ponganalu with homemade peanut chutney tomorrow. we decided to go whole hog with peanut chutney as an accompaniment.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:58 am

we need a ponganulu skillet for this. we feel our aluminium muffin tray should do the job. lets see.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Yuck!

I am still getting over the imagery of idlis stuffed with eggs that MD kindly(!) shared on Sulekha and now this. Food pollution and abuse, that's what all this is. And yeah, that's that.

Paneer Dosai seems almost palatable, in light of all this.

Oye! oye! this is not experimentation of some weirdo! This dosalu-mamsam pulusu combination has been passed down through generations. It's not a new invention.

If ever you become a non-veggie, you got to try this for sure.

Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Today's dinner-Ponganalu (made with the dosa batter)
this looks easy interesting! i think we will try it this week itself with coconut chutney. will post pics.
[url=http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/03/20/ponganalu-gunta-pongadalu/
http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/03/20/ponganalu-gunta-pongadalu/[/quote[/url]]

That's a good website for authentic recipes from my hometown/region. I hope yours come out fine in the aluminium muffin trays and don't stick to the bottom. good luck!

I have a non-stick ponaganala skillet with me.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
you don't know what paniyaaram means? loosely translated it means "this dish was invented by tambrahms." it is a tamil loan word from ardh magadhi or pali so that is why you are unfamiliar with its eytmology.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Good luck with your muffin pan paniyaarams. Try using ramekins to make idlis stuffed with eggs next.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 pm

ha ha ha! no, i have aborted the muffin tray idea for ponaganalus. the muffin cups are deep and we will have trouble flipping them over. i'm getting a CI ponaganalu skillet today and have it made tomorrow.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 am

[quote="blabberwock"][quote="ashaNirasha"]
kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Yikes! Dosai with ..chicken.....??????? ayyo.




Look who is here! Could you visit us more often?

yes, dosa needs all the support it can use.

Speaking of which, I went googling for idli with egg, and ended up with ice cream dosa, from sulekha.

http://food.sulekha.com/ice-cream-dosai-id28433-45947-recipe.htm


This one seems doable, but it looks like they are using whipped cream rather than ice cream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6qKfPUm0k

ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ha ha ha! no, i have aborted the muffin tray idea for ponaganalus. the muffin cups are deep and we will have trouble flipping them over. i'm getting a CI ponaganalu skillet today and have it made tomorrow.

I'm glad you have abandoned the muffin tray idea. I was gonna suggest you nix that idea, because even with the regular ponagalu skillet, the centers remain undercooked.

I tried the mini-muffin trays once, and I regretted wasting the batter.

I was going to say meh to even the skillet ponagalu, but was afraid kinnera will beat me out of this thread.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

Have you tried drinking coffee with pickles ( hot lime or Avakkai) ? - the bestest combo to taste real coffee.

Impedimenta wrote:GK, stop polluting coffee. i am having mine now and
wanted to post a picture of it but got put off by this aavakkai talk. i
know aavakai tastes best with either plain hot white rice or cold curd
rice.

blabberwock wrote:

Yuck!

I am still getting over the imagery of idlis stuffed with eggs that MD kindly(!) shared on Sulekha and now this. Food pollution and abuse, that's what all this is. And yeah, that's that.

Paneer Dosai seems almost palatable, in light of all this.

G3 - I was j/k about pickles and coffee. When you offer coffee, if someone says thottukka /could i have some pickles to go with ? you know what it means

BW- yeah..to borrow a line from a pAlghat iyer who used to run a 'mess' in Triplicane, when asked why he never uses onion and garlic and such like spices in his -actually, the mAmi's - cooking, he said
" savathukkuthAn sAmbrAni eaththanuM' - ( roughly translated, only corpses need perfume/incense)

Many times, simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication, as da Vinci once said

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
BW- yeah..to borrow a line from a pAlghat iyer who used to run a 'mess' in Triplicane, when asked why he never uses onion and garlic and such like spices in his -actually, the mAmi's - cooking, he said
" savathukkuthAn sAmbrAni eaththanuM' - ( roughly translated, only corpses need perfume/incense)

Many times, simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication, as da Vinci once said

eh? corpses? I thought we use incense and perfumes for gods more than for corpses-the incense sticks, the sambrani, sandalwood, rose water, the best smelling flowers, etc. Gods are the ones who are dressed well too, in silk clothes e'day and adorned with rich ornaments.

The ppl who feel they are simple and hence holier than others are the ones with an inflated ego. Refer to fluteholder's thread, 'question to indo and others'. The upanishads talk abt such deluded ppl-the ones forcefully denying themselves of the material things in the name of spiritual progress. That's not necessary.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:43 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
I'm glad you have abandoned the muffin tray idea. I was gonna suggest you nix that idea, because even with the regular ponagalu skillet, the centers remain undercooked.

Ashu, you are eating the wrong stuff, cooking in the wrong way and pronouncing their the name wrong way too Razz. The Ponganalu (not ponagalu Smile) are slow cooked, only on medium heat. And the skillet is covered to facilitate some steaming too. The centers remain uncooked if they are done in high flame and the are not covered. In that case, the outside gets burnt fast, while the center remains uncooked. So the key is to slow cook them.

ashaNirasha wrote:
I was going to say meh to even the skillet ponagalu, but was afraid kinnera will beat me out of this thread.

yeah, i would've def'ly done that Razz

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:58 pm

kinnera wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
BW- yeah..to borrow a line from a pAlghat iyer who used to run a 'mess' in Triplicane, when asked why he never uses onion and garlic and such like spices in his -actually, the mAmi's - cooking, he said
" savathukkuthAn sAmbrAni eaththanuM' - ( roughly translated, only corpses need perfume/incense)

Many times, simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication, as da Vinci once said

eh? corpses? I thought we use incense and perfumes for gods more than for corpses-the incense sticks, the sambrani, sandalwood, rose water, the best smelling flowers, etc. Gods are the ones who are dressed well too, in silk clothes e'day and adorned with rich ornaments.

The ppl who feel they are simple and hence holier than others are the ones with an inflated ego. Refer to fluteholder's thread, 'question to indo and others'. The upanishads talk abt such deluded ppl-the ones forcefully denying themselves of the material things in the name of spiritual progress. That's not necessary.

sorry i didn't mean that way and if I had offended your sensibilities, I apologize.

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Hellsangel on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:23 pm

What he was cooking.

Hellsangel

Posts : 13297
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by FluteHolder on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Just had the following for lunch.

Thanks to Ganapathi/wify/me(helped in kitchen:))

Avarakkai/Vendakkai(both fresh from backyard garden) Saambhar, Rice, Masala Vadai, Persian cucumber raitha, Appalam, Spinach Daal, Beans Poriyal with fresh Theangai thuruval), Semiya Payasam.

FluteHolder

Posts : 1734
Join date : 2011-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:38 pm

I celebrated Ganesha Chaturthi with a grand dinner of:
- Scallops in a saffron confit and potato foam
- Ribeye steak (well made but a bit too much meat even for me, a neo-convert)
- Dessert was a delicate mango canelloni with a delicious passion fruit ice cream
- Lots of spanish red wine and the company of three beautiful Turks
Nicely buzzed now. Ah. Life is good.

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4873
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

Speaking of which, I went googling for idli with egg, and ended up with ice cream dosa, from sulekha.

http://food.sulekha.com/ice-cream-dosai-id28433-45947-recipe.htm


This one seems doable, but it looks like they are using whipped cream rather than ice cream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6qKfPUm0k

That's a crêpe, innit?

The thought of stuffing ice cream into a dosai cone is revolting but then I have seen people eat dosai with jam.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 pm

[quote="kinnera"]


Ashu, you are eating the wrong stuff, cooking in the wrong way and pronouncing their the name wrong way too Razz. The Ponganalu (not ponagalu Smile) are slow cooked, only on medium heat. And the skillet is covered to facilitate some steaming too. The centers remain uncooked if they are done in high flame and the are not covered. In that case, the outside gets burnt fast, while the center remains uncooked. So the key is to slow cook them.



I'll give it to you about the pronunciation. We call it 'gunta punugulu', I was trying to use your word, and it came out as a cross between the two.

Anyway, I made them today, and it didn't change my opinion one bit. By the time I get two batches of these done, I can cook lamb biryani and chicken fry.

After I was done, I realized it was Ganesh Chaturdi, and felt so sorry for myself.

Here's the pic.


ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:00 pm

[quote="blabberwock"


That's a crêpe, innit?

The thought of stuffing ice cream into a dosai cone is revolting but then I have seen people eat dosai with jam.[/quote]

That's what it is! It didn't strike me at first, I need to check out some of those.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:56 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

After I was done, I realized it was Ganesh Chaturdi, and felt so sorry for myself.


Why sorry?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
Here's the pic.

wow, those are nice pics asha! you have made amends for the other rather disastrous pic you posted in this thread a year ago. Razz good job. my wife's out of town so we will have these made upon her return. i'm confident ganpath ram will be able to take care of the undercooked centre problem. quick question: like utthapams, does ponganalu need sour batter?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 am

Had no idea y'day was Lord Ganesa's b'day. Anyway, I made this for the birthday boy. Portobello mushroom, feta, olive, red onion, thyme tart (no more wonder help, it is wonder me now).

HK, just for you, I took the picture of the whole thing and not dump the leftovers on you.



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:59 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum