Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:home made (not by me) orange chicken w/rice and salad. Rice was a little dry, but the rest was good.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 DxbCGZq
very very nice (and healthy). who made it? XH?

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:30 am

Jes. XH made all of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:53 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Jes. XH made all of it.
Very nice. His name is Jes?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:07 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Jes. XH made all of it.
Very nice. His name is Jes?
No I was just trying to be cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:11 am

oh jeez! inspired by this colourful dinner i was about to change ganpath's name to jes.

Back to top Go down

Post by noisy_dravidfan Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:58 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:i made rabri today using sucralose. i added only cardamom using this recipe. it was as good as tiwari's rabri.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 2013-121

there are 2 styles of making rabri. this is the benares/kolkata style. the other style is: boil boil boil until milk condenses to 1/3rd or less; add nuts, kesar, cardamom etc. and freeze.
what do you mean you made? you meed you had it made by ganpath.

noisy_dravidfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:46 pm

noisy_dravidfan wrote:what do you mean you made? you meed you had it made by ganpath.
kya yaar... i made it; not ganpath. i have taken to the occasional cooking. i was a bit hesitant making it for i thought it would take an hour on low flame but surprisingly it turned out to be the easiest dish i have ever made -- took 15 minutes and no fuss. and it is damn tasty.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:06 pm

baked camembert infused with herbs&garlic, with crusty sourdough rolls and cranberry+nut mixture.

(was inspired by this: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cheese-recipes/beautiful-baked-camembert)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 Cheese10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:24 pm

bw wrote:baked camembert infused with herbs&garlic, with crusty sourdough rolls and cranberry+nut mixture.

(was inspired by this: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cheese-recipes/beautiful-baked-camembert)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 Cheese10
Looks delicious and decadent. Entertaining with the IB crowd again?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Looks delicious and decadent. Entertaining with the IB crowd again?
oh, this is how i cook and eat every day, snoopy.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:13 am

bw wrote:baked camembert infused with herbs&garlic, with crusty sourdough rolls and cranberry+nut mixture.

delicious and well presented! damn, i want those sourdough rolls. we don't get good bagels here either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 RKdB1Bd

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:delicious and well presented! damn, i want those sourdough rolls. we don't get good bagels here either.
thanks. why not get some sourdough starter and bake your own? or make your own starter as well.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:42 am

bw wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:delicious and well presented! damn, i want those sourdough rolls. we don't get good bagels here either.
thanks. why not get some sourdough starter and bake your own? or make your own starter as well.
that is a good idea! i will get a recipe from the net and try at home. i'm sure younger will love it too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 am

Fried button idlis and chutney:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 Imag1715
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:38 pm

yuck @ fried sanna idlis or any fried idlis for that matter. chutney looks good. i could eat coconut chutney with coconut chutney everyday but it is heavy and unhealthy. i am tempted to try idlis tomorrow but i think i'll settle for vadas with coconut chutney. will also try the vadas with the lip-smacking garlic chutney (victoria one) that ganpath has recreated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:yuck @ fried sanna idlis or any fried idlis for that matter. chutney looks good. i could eat coconut chutney with coconut chutney everyday but it is heavy and unhealthy. i am tempted to try idlis tomorrow but i think i'll settle for vadas with coconut chutney. will also try the vadas with the lip-smacking garlic chutney (victoria one) that ganpath has recreated.
What is your beef with fried idlis? Are you being a puritan that idlis must be steamed and not fried?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Check out kaima idly in the menu below:

http://www.saravanabhavan.com/menu/U.S.A/dallas_usa.pdf
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:yuck @ fried sanna idlis or any fried idlis for that matter. chutney looks good. i could eat coconut chutney with coconut chutney everyday but it is heavy and unhealthy. i am tempted to try idlis tomorrow but i think i'll settle for vadas with coconut chutney. will also try the vadas with the lip-smacking garlic chutney (victoria one) that ganpath has recreated.
Yay.. could I err... borrow ganpath's reconstructed recipe of the lip-smacking garlic chutney, please ?  TIA and all Very Happy

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Fried button idlis and chutney:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 Imag1715
ayyo, paavam idlis. the things they have to endure! what next, stuff them poor things with caviar?

chutney looks good.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 pm

having it after such a long time. *Heaven* liked the 85% pure one more

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 OoXzcyw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm

bw wrote:

ayyo, paavam idlis. the things they have to endure! what next, stuff them poor things with caviar?

chutney looks good.
Halcy, I tried the fried cocktail idlis coated with milagai podi in Madaras Boat Club a few months back. Loved it!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:20 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Halcy, I tried the fried cocktail idlis coated with milagai podi in Madaras Boat Club a few months back. Loved it!
yeah, some restaurants serve 'masala idli' - idlis crumbled like upma, pan fried and smeared with molagapoDi and other spices. i suspect they get rid of old, stale idlis this way. idli poratti-fied with molaga poDi was a common train food carried by my grandparents and others.

i've never had deep fried idlis though. some people stuff idlis with eggs, i hear. Rolling Eyes

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:29 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Halcy, I tried the fried cocktail idlis coated with milagai podi in Madaras Boat Club a few months back. Loved it!
yeah, some restaurants serve 'masala idli' - idlis crumbled like upma, pan fried and smeared with molagapoDi and other spices. i suspect they get rid of old, stale idlis this way. idli poratti-fied with molaga poDi was a common train food carried by my grandparents and others.

i've never had deep fried idlis though. some people stuff idlis with eggs, i hear. Rolling Eyes
You are bringing back fond memories of train trips to Madras from Madurai during the holidays! My paati did the porattified thing with idlis and dosais. Yum!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

You are bringing back fond memories of train trips to Madras from Madurai during the holidays! My paati did the porattified thing with idlis and dosais. Yum!
>>>>Those idlis are good. I have had cocktail idlis and if the boat club has them, I will try them. I like their dishes. I will be there for a couple of weeks soon.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

>>>>Those idlis are good. I have had cocktail idlis and if the boat club has them, I will try them. I like their dishes. I will be there for a couple of weeks soon.
You need to specify that you want milagapodi smeared cocktail idlis to the bearer at the club. I am sure you'll have a blast in Chennai.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:15 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

You need to specify that you want milagapodi smeared cocktail idlis to the bearer at the club. I am sure you'll have a blast in Chennai.
>>>Kool. I end up overeating when I go to the different clubs. I haven't been to the Boat Club in awhile though.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:39 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Yay.. could I err... borrow ganpath's reconstructed recipe of the lip-smacking garlic chutney, please ?  TIA and all Very Happy
blend garlic, aam aadha (look at the ginger looking fruit in the pic -- i don't know its english name; or substitute it with more lime), coriander, kashmiri red chili powder (or paprika), salt, a little lime, a little onions.  

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 20131110

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:56 am

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

chutney looks good.
Halcy, I tried the fried cocktail idlis coated with milagai podi in Madaras Boat Club a few months back. Loved it!
GC-saar, you should also try the Chinese-style chilli fried idli (deep fried cocktail idlis tossed with minced ginger-garlic, capsicum, green chilli and soy sauce). I was very skeptical but when I tasted it, I was converted.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 am

bw wrote:

Oh the egg stuffing was only because my mom made them, and eggs are the most non-vegetarian item she will cook or eat. My own preference would be to stuff them with mildly flavored mutton keema.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:42 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

Oh the egg stuffing was only because my mom made them, and eggs are the most non-vegetarian item she will cook or eat. My own preference would be to stuff them with mildly flavored mutton keema.
after kris's suggestion of pizza curry, nothing seems to matter much. stuff the idlis with cheese too. *shrug*

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:46 am

OMG what a brilliant suggestion! Cheese stuffed idlis with coconut chutney and podi would be creamy heaven!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:13 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:OMG what a brilliant suggestion! Cheese stuffed idlis with coconut chutney and podi would be creamy heaven!!
May I suggest deep-frying keema-stuffed idlis? This will beat even your stuffed paniyarams hollow.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:OMG what a brilliant suggestion! Cheese stuffed idlis with coconut chutney and podi would be creamy heaven!!
May I suggest deep-frying keema-stuffed idlis? This will beat even your stuffed paniyarams hollow.
will try. btw, how do you stuff idlis? same way as paniyarams? steam with hollows half-filled, stuff keema, pour batter and steam again?

i will also try cocktail idlis (i'm assuming they are fried) smeared with milagai podi before i finally decide whether i like fried idlis or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

chutney looks good.
GC-saar, you should also try the Chinese-style chilli fried idli (deep fried cocktail idlis tossed with minced ginger-garlic, capsicum, green chilli and soy sauce). I was very skeptical but when I tasted it, I was converted.
Is there a restaurant in Bangalore that serves this style? Btw I'll be visiting my mom mid-December. If you'll be in the area let's hook up.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:32 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Is there a restaurant in Bangalore that serves this style? Btw I'll be visiting my mom mid-December. If you'll be in the area let's hook up.
i watched someone add a liberal dose of fish sauce to authentic vegetable kootu(molaguttal, to be precise) and relish it.

anything goes!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:21 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Is there a restaurant in Bangalore that serves this style? Btw I'll be visiting my mom mid-December. If you'll be in the area let's hook up.
i watched someone add a liberal dose of fish sauce to authentic vegetable kootu(molaguttal, to be precise) and relish it.

anything goes!

Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Mad

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:55 pm

i should remind myself to visit this thread only occasionally and then read it sparingly. there should be a separate thread titled food rape for this sort of thing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i should remind myself to visit this thread only occasionally and then read it sparingly. there should be a separate thread titled food rape for this sort of thing.
I guess there is a fine line between food seduction and food rape.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:34 pm

There are some ppl who are innovative, creative and want to experiment different things while some are the conservative, old fashioned kind who want to go by the book and resist any kind of change. The world is in need of the former, methinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:46 am

thanksgiving lunch: idlis stuffed with cheese (processed cheese), milagai podi, garlic chutney, coconut chutney. verdict: very nice. next time we need to add more cheese or a different cheese that leaves no gaps.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 2013-124

had milagai podi for the first time. very tasty with idlis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:57 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:btw, how do you stuff idlis? same way as paniyarams? steam with hollows half-filled, stuff keema, pour batter and steam again?
Correct.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:59 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:thanksgiving lunch: idlis stuffed with cheese (processed cheese), milagai podi, garlic chutney, coconut chutney. verdict: very nice. next time we need to add more cheese or a different cheese that leaves no gaps.

Looks good, but I don't particularly fancy cheese stuffing except in jalapeno poppers.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:02 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i should remind myself to visit this thread only occasionally and then read it sparingly. there should be a separate thread titled food rape for this sort of thing.
lol! You're now sounding like my dad.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:09 am

Oh this is a Bambaiya invention that I encountered by accident at a Gujju restaurant. In Bangalore, I'm very puritanical and would never dream of eating idli-dosa at any place other than CTR and suchllike, leave alone try out experiments around these. I've no idea where you get chilli idlis, but this might help: http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/restaurants/tag-chilli-idli

I was planning a visit in January. How long are you in BLR?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:thanksgiving lunch: idlis stuffed with cheese (processed cheese), milagai podi, garlic chutney, coconut chutney. verdict: very nice. next time we need to add more cheese or a different cheese that leaves no gaps.

Looks good, but I don't particularly fancy cheese stuffing except in jalapeno poppers.
here's an idea - stuff idlis with cheese and jalapeno. or stuff them with chutney. why bother dunking it in chutney etc. just fill them up with everything. sambar will be a bit tricky but then they have these shanghainese pork dumplings with liquid inside and idlis too can be made to handle that. imagine, biting into a steaming idli and getting a mouthful of sambar!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:17 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

here's an idea - stuff idlis with cheese and jalapeno. or stuff them with chutney. why bother dunking it in chutney etc. just fill them up with everything. sambar will be a bit tricky but then they have these shanghainese pork dumplings with liquid inside and idlis too can be made to handle that. imagine, biting into a steaming idli and getting a mouthful of sambar!
>>>Hey, I was thinking about the same just now. Brilliant  minds etc Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:20 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 11 2013-124

>>>That chutney looks really good. I love coconut chutney.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:23 am

bw wrote:here's an idea - stuff idlis with cheese and jalapeno. or stuff them with chutney.
Idli stuffed with chutney is not very original. The Gujjus have already built the famous sandwich dhokla (a layer of chutney, or even paneer and chutney, separating yellow and white dhokla).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:24 am

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

>>>Hey, I was thinking about the same just now. Brilliant  minds etc Smile
Dunno abt you, but BW was just being facetious.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next