Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:38 pm

bw wrote:....made some crème brûlée in an effort to clear the impurities in my brain.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Cremeb10
Ooh la la@la crème brûlée. Très belle. Très délicieux.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by bw Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Ooh la la@la crème brûlée. Très belle. Très délicieux.
when interacting with people who drink only designer beers, one ought to mind one's accents and umlauts, i am told.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:53 pm

bw wrote:
when interacting with people who drink only designer beers, one ought to mind one's accents and umlauts, i am told.
Pardon , madame. But you must not let Le Professor-ai intimidate you so much.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 pm

bw wrote:....made some crème brûlée in an effort to clear the impurities in my brain.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Cremeb10
recipe please.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
recipe please.
shall post it in a little while...

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:29 am

bw wrote:
Apparently the expression to "watch one's P's and Q's came from New England where the bars in the old days used to serve beer in pints and quarts so it was prudent to watch the amount before one gets into swears.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 am

wow! though not a fan of sweets, this pic looks utterly delicious and smacks of professional photography. texas for this gradual introduction to european cuisine.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:57 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
recipe please.
here's the recipe that i used to make this. i did not use vanilla sugar but granulated white sugar to mix with the egg yolks and demerara sugar to do the topping. a mini blow torch(or culinary torch as called by some) is absolutely necessary to get the crispy, caramelized layer on top. get creative with garnish! also, the ramekins i had were a little too big for a single serving and i decided to some other cups instead.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/creme-brulee-recipe/index.html

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:02 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:wow! though not a fan of sweets, this pic looks utterly delicious and smacks of professional photography. texas for this gradual introduction to european cuisine.
hk, thanks. i click using an old 3+ years old samsung phone that has been water damaged as well. am hoping my new yet-to-buy iphone 5s will yield better results.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:13 am

bw wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
recipe please.
here's the recipe that i used to make this. i did not use vanilla sugar but granulated white sugar to mix with the egg yolks and demerara sugar to do the topping. a mini blow torch(or culinary torch as called by some) is absolutely necessary to get the crispy, caramelized layer on top. get creative with garnish! also, the ramekins i had were a little too big for a single serving and i decided to some other cups instead.

you can also do a cream+milk mixture ( 2 cups of cream and 1-2 cups of milk) but i wanted a pure cream one this time.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:23 am

bw wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:wow! though not a fan of sweets, this pic looks utterly delicious and smacks of professional photography. texas for this gradual introduction to european cuisine.
hk, thanks. i click using an old 3+ years old samsung phone that has been water damaged as well. am hoping my new yet-to-buy iphone 5s will yield better results.
ladies and gents, please take heed. this is called "passion" for food. here is a person cooking top class food and clicking awesome pics. with a damaged phone while the rest of you talk talk about food and android, possess the latest phones, but are too lazy to click a pic. or when you do, you shoot sloppy photos. clicking and sharing pics. makes the forum interesting (visually interesting).

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 am

bw wrote:
bw wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
recipe please.

you can also do a cream+milk mixture ( 2 cups of cream and 1-2 cups of milk) but i wanted a pure cream one this time.
thank you. need to go looking for a blow torch for the holidays. i love crem brulee.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:00 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
bw wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
recipe please.

thank you. need to go looking for a blow torch for the holidays. i love crem brulee.
tch tch tch. Where is your umlaut ? a typo on top too. I am very disappointed.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:32 am

kerala parottas

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2013-125

kothu parottas

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2013-126

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:46 am

i will delete the above post if maria does not arrive in the next 6 hrs.  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:53 am

Too late to delete. It looks good
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:03 am

damn you. texas for the compliments! it was delicious. so delicious that i had to force myself to stop -- you can keep eating this stuff. eggs + maida parathas = win win (think egg kati roll).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 am

Looks good hoojs. What's the second image kottu parotta? Reminds me of this tiffin a BFF would bring back home in school. Made from leftover crushed rotis. She had to bring two tiffins, coz it would be 4 of us BFFs at lunch time and the 3 of us would attack it like hungry lions the moment she opened that box.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 am

yes second image is kothu parottas. the parottas go though a blender and are then sauted with onions, tomatoes, green chillis, ginger-garlic paste and eggs (beaten and poured into the mix). the aroma of maida parthas fresh off the tava is one of the best scents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:yes second image is kothu parottas. the parottas go though a blender and are then sauted with onions, tomatoes, green chillis, ginger-garlic paste and eggs (beaten and poured into the mix).

Omg sounds like what BFF used to get, except that they used old rotis. *memories*. None of us could ever get the same taste. Sometimes when I am too nostalgic, I attempt making this here.

Next time I'm in India, will ask her to bring this for me. I am shameless that way, and she knows that well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:01 am

i see. you know, maida (paratha) tastes a bit sweet (agree?) which doesn't happen with rotis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:i see. you know, maida (paratha) tastes a bit sweet (agree?) which doesn't happen with rotis.

Who knows. Maybe they added maida in their rotis. Her taste would definitely be different. Let me send a note to her on FB so that she knows what's expected in future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:24 am

aar macher kalia for lunch today. aar is a delicious local fish (of bengal).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 20131210

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:55 am

tiramisu

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Pick-m10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:15 am

bw wrote:tiramisu

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Pick-m10

Nice. Italian tradition for 'pre-Christmas'? I have one of my own. Bread pudding made from Panettone. Maybe if the pictures are good, I will post one.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Nice. Italian tradition for 'pre-Christmas'? I have one of my own. Bread pudding made from Panettone. Maybe if the pictures are good, I will post one.

it is italian, rather "anything but indian", tradition on most days, due to popular demand.

do post a picture!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:37 pm

and post a recipe. we have been pigging out on slices of trader joe's panettone for breakfast and to satisfy postprandial sweet tooth urges, but i've never heard of bread pudding made from panettone.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:09 am

ravioli with parmesan fondue and crispy bacon (bole to ravioli alla carbonara con pancetta croccante e fonduta do parmigiano blah blah blah)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2013-127

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:ravioli with parmesan fondue and crispy bacon (bole to ravioli alla carbonara con pancetta croccante e fonduta do parmigiano blah blah blah)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2013-127

is the ravioli stuffed with anything? how does this whole thing taste on the whole? seems like an odd pairing, melted parmesan with fried pancetta

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:is the ravioli stuffed with anything? how does this whole thing taste on the whole? seems like an odd pairing, melted parmesan with fried pancetta
no, it was not stuffed ravioli. i had the option of taking spaghetti or ravioli with it -- i chose ravioli. it was main course and not enough for me; so i had to stuff myself with bread, olive oil, herb-infused butter and pilsner. i tasted pancetta for the first time and the whole combination was very tasty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:23 pm

i just googled pancetta. it is standard american bacon. but this bacon was soft, melt-in-the-mouth type, unlike the crispy (yet chewy) ones the same hotel serves in it's other restaurants.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:i just googled pancetta. it is standard american bacon. but this bacon was soft, melt-in-the-mouth type, unlike the crispy (yet chewy) ones the same hotel serves in it's other restaurants.

pancetta and bacon although come from same part of big arent the same. pancetta isnt smoke cured, bacon usually is.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:i just googled pancetta. it is standard american bacon. but this bacon was soft, melt-in-the-mouth type, unlike the crispy (yet chewy) ones the same hotel serves in it's other restaurants.

pancetta and bacon although come from same part of big arent the same. pancetta isnt smoke cured, bacon usually is.
right!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and post a recipe. we have been pigging out on slices of trader joe's panettone for breakfast and to satisfy postprandial sweet tooth urges, but i've never heard of bread pudding made from panettone.

You could use the recipe from BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/breadandbutterpuddin_88983

The following are 4 of the pics I took:

Cut up Panettone:
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Cutupp10

Soaked in the custard:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Custar10

After it was baked and served:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Served10

Served with rum sauce( You can find the rum sauce recipe online):

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Readyt10
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:00 pm

oh, wow, nice pictures, snoopy!

i have never been fond of bread puddings but am tempted to try this recipe. in fact, i will try this "posh" one.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1358/panettone-pudding

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:47 am

Best chicken recipe ever! I didn't get to take pictures. I didn't get to eat much of it either. Just had a little taste of it. It was so good! My 19 yr old and two of his friends finished everything (i made with a kg of chicken). It was very spicy but the non-indians kids said they loved it! Try this one:

http://www.sailusfood.com/2013/12/18/chicken-salna-recipe-tamil-nadu/

Edit: when making indian chicken recipes, i use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. breasts don't taste very good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Kinnera wrote:Best chicken recipe ever! I didn't get to take pictures. I didn't get to eat much of it either. Just had a little taste of it. It was so good! My 19 yr old and two of his friends finished everything (i made with a kg of chicken). It was very spicy but the non-indians kids said they loved it! Try this one:

http://www.sailusfood.com/2013/12/18/chicken-salna-recipe-tamil-nadu/

Edit: when making indian chicken recipes, i use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. breasts don't taste very good.
just read the recipe. it's nothing that i've ever tried. boneless chicken is a good idea. will try this day after!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Panini sandwitches with Boar's head Cajun turkey, Savory Remoulade Cajun style mayo and Pepperjack cheese = the best sandwitches ever!

Edit: Also, tried and tested this today. Damn good. http://www.sailusfood.com/2006/05/19/dondakaya-vepudu-tindoraindian-gherkin-stir-fry/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:28 pm

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 0gPPcgK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:12 pm

wish i had a hubby like him. i am having chinese tomorrow. done and final! (despite it being saraswati puja.)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151927686057689&set=a.113750137688.93249.60908652688&type=1&relevant_count=1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:46 pm

amazing classy home made food pics, some of them high end dining that people do daily. 

wonder why this thread died down.

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:amazing classy home made food pics, some of them high end dining that people do daily. 

wonder why this thread died down.

yeah , I wonder too.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:30 am

had lunch with school friends today. and guess what we were served for appetizers? CHILLI IDLIS! idli + cornflour + soy sauce + vinegar = yummy!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2014-111

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:33 am

thambi chini bhai bhai

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:00 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:thambi chini bhai bhai
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 Lmao11

but seriously this is better than chilli paneer or gobi manchurian! had some great tofu in gravy with pan fried noodles too. the eatery is owned by one of us (school friends).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:15 am

yeah I guess it must be good. will see if i find something like this on a trip to desh.

y'day xh brought full grilled chicken from costco. was too dry to eat. i got reminded of cranberry sauce that we usually use during thanksgiving, but we didn't have that obviously. what we did have was strawberry jam, so that's what i used. was not bad. not bad at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:yeah I guess it must be good. will see if i find something like this on a trip to desh.

y'day xh brought full grilled chicken from costco. was too dry to eat. i got reminded of cranberry sauce that we usually use during thanksgiving, but we didn't have that obviously. what we did have was strawberry jam, so that's what i used. was not bad. not bad at all.
really no clue how that would taste. i'm glad you enjoyed it. i have given up non veg (i've metioned this before -- save ilish, rui, prawns, lobsters and bacon). i can eat chicken now only if it is subsumed by excessive marination and tandoored to the core.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 am

tomatoes halwa this diwali. recipe - sanjeev kapoor: http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/recipe/Tomato-Halwa.html

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2014-118

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:52 am

tandoori idlis:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2014-123

some of the idlis turned out hard (there are 3 different preparations in it). next time we will marinate them in yogurt and cook in our charcoal grill (this one was in conventional oven).

speaking of experimentation, younger ordered in chicken kakori kebabs last night. now THAT is PREPOSTEROUS. what is next? paneer and idli kakori?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:tandoori idlis:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 13 2014-123

some of the idlis turned out hard (there are 3 different preparations in it). next time we will marinate them in yogurt and cook in our charcoal grill (this one was in conventional oven).

Don't marinate it - it'll just turn into sludge. Just dip it in the tandoori marinade and coat it all over before sticking it in the grill.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next