Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

+32
Obnoxious
Tejpal Singh Iyer
michelle2
noisy_dravidfan
b_A
Idéfix
Jebediah Mburuburu
churi.
Bittu
Another Brick
seven
Kris
Impedimenta
Admin
Captain Bhankas
Nila
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
bw
indophile
Maria S
ashaNirasha
pravalika nanda
Rekz
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
southindian
ashdoc
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
Jeremiah Mburuburu
36 posters

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:37 am

And if you really want to push the envelop, prepare paniyaram stuffed with chicken or mutton mince (as you once did) and then dip in the tandoori marinade and skewer with slices of capsicum and onion.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:59 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:And if you really want to push the envelop, prepare paniyaram stuffed with chicken or mutton mince (as you once did) and then dip in the tandoori marinade and skewer with slices of capsicum and onion.

yes! that would be quite tasty with the yogurt based marinade and smoky taste! paniyarams would not need frying either 'cos they are quite firm (some of these idlis were fried in line with the hindu recipe)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:22 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:tandoori idlis:

some of the idlis turned out hard (there are 3 different preparations in it). next time we will marinate them in yogurt and cook in our charcoal grill (this one was in conventional oven).

Don't marinate it - it'll just turn into sludge. Just dip it in the tandoori marinade and coat it all over before sticking it in the grill.
 oh, missed this post. i think you make a valid point -- that is why the hindu recipe avoids yoghurt in the marinade!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 am

come to think of it, this tandoori idli is a healthy diet. i had just this with chutney for lunch. it is basically roasted veggies and rice. *thumbs up*

my daily lunch, invariably, is arahar dal, rice, one veggie sabzi (i prefer bitter gourd, lady finger, carrots and beans or eggplant by circulation) with fafda to substitute for papad. now i can have tandoori idlis twice a week instead. i'll try with paniyarams next time for they are smaller in size and won't require frying. frying and grilling makes the idli a cricket ball. some pieces were marinated in a tamarind base and not fried before grilling today and they were ultra soft and juicy. if paniyarams don't gel, i'll get a button idli steamer. 

btw, a sanjeev kapoor tip: (we haven't tried it for we get store batter)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 10378160_10152309546682689_6047492275791169825_n

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:32 am

pic looks good. keep experimenting.

we get very good idli thingies in my village. whenever I go there, it's a must! Guess that's the only time in the year that I consume idli, in any form. Or maybe sometimes during team lunch here, but those are buffets, hence idlis get passed for other menu items.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:come to think of it, this tandoori idli is a healthy diet. i had just this with chutney for lunch. it is basically roasted veggies and rice. *thumbs up*

my daily lunch, invariably, is arahar dal, rice, one veggie sabzi (i prefer bitter gourd, lady finger, carrots and beans or eggplant by circulation) with fafda to substitute for papad. now i can have tandoori idlis twice a week instead. i'll try with paniyarams next time for they are smaller in size and won't require frying. frying and grilling makes the idli a cricket ball. some pieces were marinated in a tamarind base and not fried before grilling today and they were ultra soft and juicy. if paniyarams don't gel, i'll get a button idli steamer. 

perhaps you could add mashed poha that was presoaked (gets softer by the minute or even less, esp.with hot water that you can microwave as you need so little just to cover the poha) and add it to the commercial batter, yeah? it should work bhaiya

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 am

garam_kuta wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:come to think of it, this tandoori idli is a healthy diet. i had just this with chutney for lunch. it is basically roasted veggies and rice. *thumbs up*

perhaps you could add mashed poha that was presoaked (gets softer by the minute or even less, esp.with hot water that you can microwave as you need so little just to cover the poha) and add it to the commercial batter, yeah? it should work bhaiya
good idea! we will add this to store batter next time. despite our neighbourhood being dotted with top class restaurants now (including garden cafe who are supposedly the last word on SI fare in kolkata), i don't get soft idlis. the boxwallah idli-vendor makes softer idlis and i am his patron. 

btw, we are making this for lunch tomorrow:

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Hot-Garlic-Eggs-Turban-Tadka-FoodFood.html

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Hot-Garlic-Eggs-Turban-Tadka-FoodFood

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

good idea! we will add this to store batter next time. despite our neighbourhood being dotted with top class restaurants now (including garden cafe who are supposedly the last word on SI fare in kolkata), i don't get soft idlis. the boxwallah idli-vendor makes softer idlis and i am his patron. 

btw, we are making this for lunch tomorrow:

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Hot-Garlic-Eggs-Turban-Tadka-FoodFood.html

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Hot-Garlic-Eggs-Turban-Tadka-FoodFood

wish i had the mental space to plan my menu that far in advance. i don't know what i'm having for breakfast today, let alone lunch tomorrow.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:44 pm

i think this thread will help me shed a few pounds because of all the unappetizing foods it features. i should read this thread before i eat, so my hunger will be diminished before i eat the first mouthful.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think this thread will help me shed a few pounds because of all the unappetizing foods it features. i should read this thread before i eat, so my hunger will be diminished before i eat the first mouthful.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Img-2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:27 pm

cinnabons from the mall

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 J65Jn4x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:cinnabons from the mall

CAN'T POST ELSEWHERE IN THIS STUPID FORUMOTION GLITCH THUS POSTING RELATED INFO HERE:

got to applaud this 12 year old kid

[size=36]12-Year-Old Speaks The Truth About Plain Doughnuts[/size]

[size=36]What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Essay10[/size]

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 J65Jn4x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:15 am

but I like plain donut Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:38 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:but I like plain donut Sad

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Lmao15

on an unrelated note, i found the perfect image to respond with to idiots in online arguments:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 16108210

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:but I like plain donut Sad

on an unrelated note, i found the perfect image to respond with to idiots in online arguments:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 16108210

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:48 am

this is what i had last night. the chef cooked it specially for me. hyatt regency kolkata (i will buy them out if they sell -- god has been kind with me). i love egg yolk. egg yolk with salt and pepper, i declare, is the most tastiest, heavenly, substance on earth (haven't eaten snakes yet -- oh therein lies a tad racist joke: had adam and even been chinese, we would have still been in paradise for they would have eaten the snake instead!). i requested the chef to substitute the ham with pancetta and he obliged. 

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-111

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-112

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:02 pm

egg and black pepper are so good together, they must get married.

Is that plain butter on top? Did you scoop it out and blotted the surface with a paper before consuming it? Better be it that way now or some heart surgeon would be doing the deed a few years later.

(That's a joke actually... my very haryanvi dad was one day telling us how they used to consume home made ghee in childhood... and i said - 'yeah, [doctor name] is taking it all out now', referring to his bypasses and angioplastis).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:29 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:egg and black pepper are so good together, they must get married.

Is that plain butter on top? 

no, that is hollandaise sauce. it's made from egg yolk. it's called eggs benedict (breakfast dish). we tried making it at home with home-made hollandaise sauce:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-010

older tried salmon benedict when he visited maine earlier this summer:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Img-2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:28 pm

bigger is not always better, but...

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Xf9Bv00

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 am

*faint* @ dosa. would love to eat it. where was this? in bittu's house when his wife was away?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:bigger is not always better, but...

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 Xf9Bv00
is that paper dosa? It looks kinda awkward, when it juts out of the paper plate, but I know it is the trend..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 am

Yep. Paper masala dosa, masala came on the side. Could not finish it actually as I had full Ragda patties just before it. Bringing the other half home was also a challenge as I had to break it up and put it in a box, and eat away the stubborn parts that would not go in.

This was at Dimple in Edison.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:34 am

what kind of a name is dimple for a restaurant? glad it isn't pimple.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:45 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what kind of a name is dimple for a restaurant? glad it isn't pimple.

From what I remember, it's an SI joint, I think a chain of something in Mumbai... they had opened one more place called Bombay Talk on the same road (Oak Tree), and y'day I noticed they renamed Dimple to Dimple Bombay Talk II or something.

Very expensive place, but decent food. Been going there since 1999.

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what kind of a name is dimple for a restaurant? glad it isn't pimple.

From what I remember, it's an SI joint, I think a chain of something in Mumbai... they had opened one more place called Bombay Talk on the same road (Oak Tree), and y'day I noticed they renamed Dimple to Dimple Bombay Talk II or something.

Isn't this a place with a lot of varieties of Parathas?  I think it is a North Indian joint. They seem to make decent dosas though. May be the cook is a south indian.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:18 pm

tingu wrote:this is what i had last night. the chef cooked it specially for me. hyatt regency kolkata (i will buy them out if they sell -- god has been kind with me). i love egg yolk. egg yolk with salt and pepper, i declare, is the most tastiest, heavenly, substance on earth (haven't eaten snakes yet -- oh therein lies a tad racist joke: had adam and even been chinese, we would have still been in paradise for they would have eaten the snake instead!). i requested the chef to substitute the ham with pancetta and he obliged. 

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-111

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-112

pale  puke!

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 pm

michelle2 wrote:
tingu wrote:this is what i had last night. the chef cooked it specially for me. hyatt regency kolkata (i will buy them out if they sell -- god has been kind with me). i love egg yolk. egg yolk with salt and pepper, i declare, is the most tastiest, heavenly, substance on earth (haven't eaten snakes yet -- oh therein lies a tad racist joke: had adam and even been chinese, we would have still been in paradise for they would have eaten the snake instead!). i requested the chef to substitute the ham with pancetta and he obliged. 

pale  puke!
|< |< t. one lonely bastard livingan  ignobile existence in a r l 1 ng t 0 n, thanks. what do you not like about the above food?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Obnoxious wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Isn't this a place with a lot of varieties of Parathas?  I think it is a North Indian joint. They seem to make decent dosas though. May be the cook is a south indian.

Not really sure if it's NI or SI, had the impression it's SI. These days am sorta out of touch with new haunts in Edison/Iselin. Not sure of parathas. Will check it out next time I go.

Have had variety of dosas and other chat items here. Dosas are good. Sorry to say they do serve pav bhaji dosa too. XH had ordered it once and I had looked down at him (this was pre-such and I was a major purist), however, one of his cousins had pissed them off when ordering Mysore Masala dosa challenging them that they can't make it hot enough for him. As a result, ALL of our dosas came super hot, save Pav Bhaji one that XH had ordered, so I ended up eating his, in the process compromising my standards of the time, but whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:29 pm

tingu wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

pale  puke!
|< |< t. one lonely bastard livingan  ignobile existence in a r l 1 ng t 0 n, thanks. what do you not like about the above food?

( pale  puke!) x 100

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:07 am

sprouted chana cutlets (three chanas -- white, green, brown). http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Sprouts-Cutlet-Sirf-30-minute-FoodFood.html

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-128

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 am

yummy looking and healthy sounding.

When it comes to cutlets, you know what I miss? The vegetable cutlets they used to give out in Indian Railways, back in the 90s. Do they still have them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:22 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:yummy looking and healthy sounding.

When it comes to cutlets, you know what I miss? The vegetable cutlets they used to give out in Indian Railways, back in the 90s. Do they still have them?

yes they do. their jersey yoghurt is just awesome (i dunk it in rice, add salt, pepper, pickles and voila! curd-rice). they have introduced some new items too. if i can find the link i'll post later today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:25 am

dal dhokli (gujjus rock! lovely dish with curry leaves flavour): http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Dal-Dhokli-KhaanaKhazana.html

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-125

meanwhile the rocking gujjus like modi and ambani have taken to eating idlis and dosas for breakfast every day. https://amitagadre.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/mukesh-ambanis-favorite-idli-dosa-place-thats-what-the-owners-and-the-pictures-posted-here-say/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:40 am

"meanwhile the rocking gujjus like modi and ambani have taken to eating idlis ..... " ... tingu

>>>  Isn't the madrasi Idli  quite similar to the gujju dhokala in texture and taste etc.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 am

a good daal, or a pic of it, can make tracy cry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:36 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:"meanwhile the rocking gujjus like modi and ambani have taken to eating idlis ..... " ... tingu

>>>  Isn't the madrasi Idli  quite similar to the gujju dhokala in texture and taste etc.

i think we have discussed this before in old sulekha and it ended with jalebis inducing loose motions. but let's discuss it again.

actually the cholas, pandyas and other kingdoms had robust maritime trade with the indonesian archipelago (much before dhokla -- more on this subject marked * below). now in that archipelago, the blokes knew how to ferment rice damn well and had dishes accordingly (ask me for links to the dishes extant today). the madrasis (for they did not comprise only modern day tamilians back then in "those" south indian kingdoms -- thus generic "madrasis") learnt the trick of fermenting rice from them. they brought the trick back home and developed idli, dosa, uttapa (#michelle2 #swapna #flimflam).   

* (the gujarati dhokla) it's now accepted that the people who inhabit gujarat today are not those who inhabited it, say, 5000 years ago! we do not know the antiquity of the dhokla. the people who inhabited gujarat then have since moved to maharashtra and further south (the dhokla did not move with them -- neither did khakda, khandvi, bhakri -- the cuisine totally changed and stands part south-indian in maharashtra today!). unless the antiquity of dhokla can be established, we cannot hypothesize that idli is the child of the dhokla. the dhokla might very well be a child of the idli!

i am open to corrections.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:38 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:a good daal, or a pic of it, can make tracy cry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:22 pm

tingu wrote:dal dhokli (gujjus rock! lovely dish with curry leaves flavour): http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Dal-Dhokli-KhaanaKhazana.html

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2014-125

meanwhile the rocking gujjus like modi and ambani have taken to eating idlis and dosas for breakfast every day. https://amitagadre.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/mukesh-ambanis-favorite-idli-dosa-place-thats-what-the-owners-and-the-pictures-posted-here-say/
>>Looks very tempting.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:19 pm

tingu wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:"meanwhile the rocking gujjus like modi and ambani have taken to eating idlis ..... " ... tingu

i think we have discussed this before in old sulekha and it ended with jalebis inducing loose motions. but let's discuss it again.

actually the cholas, pandyas and other kingdoms had robust maritime trade with the indonesian archipelago (much before dhokla -- more on this subject marked * below). now in that archipelago, the blokes knew how to ferment rice damn well and had dishes accordingly (ask me for links to the dishes extant today). the madrasis (for they did not comprise only modern day tamilians back then in "those" south indian kingdoms -- thus generic "madrasis") learnt the trick of fermenting rice from them. they brought the trick back home and developed idli, dosa, uttapa (#michelle2 #swapna #flimflam).   

* (the gujarati dhokla) it's now accepted that the people who inhabit gujarat today are not those who inhabited it, say, 5000 years ago! we do not know the antiquity of the dhokla. the people who inhabited gujarat then have since moved to maharashtra and further south (the dhokla did not move with them -- neither did khakda, khandvi, bhakri -- the cuisine totally changed and stands part south-indian in maharashtra today!). unless the antiquity of dhokla can be established, we cannot hypothesize that idli is the child of the dhokla. the dhokla might very well be a child of the idli!

i am open to corrections.

or it never changed (implying that the dhokla etc. were invented much later)!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:13 pm

i made this and it turned out well. the family cleaned it up. i am not into photographing food, it's just fucking food you know, but i am quite proud of this particular effort. simple and tasty.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/dining/271mrex.html?_r=0
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i made this and it turned out well. the family cleaned it up. i am not into photographing food, it's just fucking food you know, but i am quite proud of this particular effort.  simple and tasty.

Nice. The flavor of the rice by itself (from the 1:1 ginger-garlic frying), I'm guessing, will be desi pulao-ish but too bland for the desi palate. I'd probably throw in some heat and soy sauce with the rice. Better still, some goan sausages.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i made this and it turned out well. the family cleaned it up. i am not into photographing food, it's just fucking food you know, but i am quite proud of this particular effort.  simple and tasty.

omg this looks awesome! love the fried egg topping (a chelo kebabs type). will try this in a few days and post pics! if i don't like it, ill pour ghee on it. if i still don't like it, i'll add curd to it and eat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am not into photographing food, it's just fucking food you know

that you are not into photographing food --- ticked as OK;

that it's just fucking food -- NO! there is good food, unsavoury food like cockroach sushi (google it), comfort food, aesthetically appealing food (that could taste horrible and vice versa) etc. it's as bad as saying you are not tamilian or northindian, you are just fucking Indian! worse, south asian!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Nice. The flavor of the rice by itself (from the 1:1 ginger-garlic frying), I'm guessing, will be desi pulao-ish but too bland for the desi palate. I'd probably throw in some heat and soy sauce with the rice. Better still, some goan sausages.

yup the ginger-garlic flakes is what really makes this dish. if you mean it was not fiery hot, that's right. my tolerance for excessively spicy food these days is not very high. i like milder, subtler flavors. it's a very satisfying meal. i also used brown rice instead of white rice and added a bit of black pepper and sichuan pepper to add some kick to the dish.

tingu -- i like good food, but in my life it doesn't rise to a level important enough to be photographed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

yup the ginger-garlic flakes is what really makes this dish. if you mean it was not fiery hot, that's right. my tolerance for excessively spicy food these days is not very high. i like milder, subtler flavors. it's a very satisfying meal.  i also used brown rice instead of white rice and added a bit of black pepper and sichuan pepper to add some kick to the dish.

tingu -- i like good food, but in my life it doesn't rise to a level important enough to be photographed.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:11 pm

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 KX8wiMv

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 TL7kjiu

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 ARrPVPt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:39 am

had the rural bengal (and assam, bihar, orissa,chattisgarh -- not to mention bangladesh) staple meal for lunch: panta bhaat with fried rui, alu posto and green chillies and onions.

panta bhaat - rice fermented overnight; tastes slightly sweet and sour with salt and served cold;
alu posto - potatoes cooked with poppy seeds;
fried rui - rohu fish fried in mustard oil.

verdict - divine! the best accompaniment to panta bhaat is neither fried fish nor alu posto. the best accompaniment is raw onions!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2015-014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:28 am

Looks good!

Yesterday in lunch they gave complimentary masala dosa. It had garlic in it, ugh. I would rather have paneer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:43 am

tingu wrote:had the rural bengal (and assam, bihar, orissa,chattisgarh -- not to mention bangladesh) staple meal for lunch: panta bhaat with fried rui, alu posto and green chillies and onions.

panta bhaat - rice fermented overnight; tastes slightly sweet and sour with salt and served cold;
alu posto - potatoes cooked with poppy seeds;
fried rui - rohu fish fried in mustard oil.

verdict - divine! the best accompaniment to panta bhaat is neither fried fish nor alu posto. the best accompaniment is raw onions!

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2] - Page 14 2015-014

Looks delicious. I'm suddenly craving Bong food. Fish bharta would also go well with this combo I think.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Fish bharta would also go well with this combo I think.

absolutely!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next