What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Propagandhi711 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:42 am

brie wrote:LOL, LOL, LOL!

i think the best accompaniment to curd rice is curd chillis and... more curd rice!

i added a bit of milk yesterday to my curd rice (thanks GK) and that went a long way to cut the excess sourness! and then i added red chilli pickle (in the pic. to the extreme left) to make it sour! it takes a lot to satisfy the heart!

dont know what the stuffing is called in queen(r)s english but it's called vaamu in telugu


Propagandhi711

Posts : 6592
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:57 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

dont know what the stuffing is called in queen(r)s english but it's called vaamu in telugu
i'm not sure but i will have to ask my andhraite (yes he belongs to AP now after bifurcation) friend if these curd chillis are stuffed with vaamu/carom-seeds. actually, very interesting!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Propagandhi711 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:02 pm

brie wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

dont know what the stuffing is called in queen(r)s english but it's called vaamu in telugu
i'm not sure but i will have to ask my andhraite (yes he belongs to AP now after bifurcation) friend if these curd chillis are stuffed with vaamu/carom-seeds. actually, very interesting!

looked up on internets but couldnt find the recipe, maybe it's specific to the area my family's from. green chillies are stuffed with ajwain and couple other stuffing thingies that make it sour(ish) but they're not sundried or fried. the chilli flava is lost when they're fried, I like this raw version much better

Propagandhi711

Posts : 6592
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:33 pm

brie wrote:LOL, LOL, LOL!

i think the best accompaniment to curd rice is curd chillis and... more curd rice!

i added a bit of milk yesterday to my curd rice (thanks GK) and that went a long way to cut the excess sourness! and then i added red chilli pickle (in the pic. to the extreme left) to make it sour! it takes a lot to satisfy the heart!

absolutely bhaiya! indeed it's the green chillies-even better with a touch of a few crystals of salt that you can caress/smear on it.

BTW, bedekar makes the most hot green chillies pickles- its heavens with curd rice.  it can be more intense than wasabi. Don't taste it without some buffer or you die! it's all like sechs..raw, pungent, violent, and you sweat, but you want more and more bounce

tender mango pickles is another good one to go with curd rice and so is aavakkai - for most pickles, the key ingredient is the  ground mustard that makes it exquisite and does the magic!

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Kris on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:49 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:LOL, LOL, LOL!

i think the best accompaniment to curd rice is curd chillis and... more curd rice!

i added a bit of milk yesterday to my curd rice (thanks GK) and that went a long way to cut the excess sourness! and then i added red chilli pickle (in the pic. to the extreme left) to make it sour! it takes a lot to satisfy the heart!

absolutely bhaiya! indeed it's the green chillies-even better with a touch of a few crystals of salt that you can caress/smear on it.

BTW, bedekar makes the most hot green chillies pickles- its heavens with curd rice.  it can be more intense than wasabi. Don't taste it without some buffer or you die! it's all like sechs..raw, pungent, violent, and you sweat, but you want more and more bounce

tender mango pickles is another good one to go with curd rice and so is aavakkai - for most pickles, the key ingredient is the  ground mustard that makes it exquisite and does the magic!>>>
>>How about gongkura pickle? I used to like the one without garlic which was available in pretty much any Indian store. The one thing I missed though was the taste of  Indian curd and used to hate Knudsen buttermilk. That may be the reason I outgrew the taste for curd rice, although i did find Bulgarian buttermilk awhile later. I also got in the habit of mixing buttermilk with plain soda and a little bit of salt right before hitting the sack. The Iranians actually have a carbonated drink which I have seen in stores.

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Propagandhi711 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Kris wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:LOL, LOL, LOL!

i think the best accompaniment to curd rice is curd chillis and... more curd rice!

i added a bit of milk yesterday to my curd rice (thanks GK) and that went a long way to cut the excess sourness! and then i added red chilli pickle (in the pic. to the extreme left) to make it sour! it takes a lot to satisfy the heart!

absolutely bhaiya! indeed it's the green chillies-even better with a touch of a few crystals of salt that you can caress/smear on it.

BTW, bedekar makes the most hot green chillies pickles- its heavens with curd rice.  it can be more intense than wasabi. Don't taste it without some buffer or you die! it's all like sechs..raw, pungent, violent, and you sweat, but you want more and more bounce

tender mango pickles is another good one to go with curd rice and so is aavakkai - for most pickles, the key ingredient is the  ground mustard that makes it exquisite and does the magic!>>>
>>How about gongkura pickle? I used to like the one without garlic which was available in pretty much any Indian store. The one thing I missed though was the taste of  Indian curd and used to hate Knudsen buttermilk. That may be the reason I outgrew the taste for curd rice, although i did find Bulgarian buttermilk awhile later. I also got in the habit of mixing buttermilk with plain soda and a little bit of salt right before hitting the sack. The Iranians actually have a carbonated drink which I have seen in stores.

I think the higher fat & milk solids content of buffalo milk used in india makes all the difference in the flavor & texture when it comes to yogurt and coffee for that matter. bulgarian yogurt is a pretty good approximation of what yogurt made in those mud pots back home tastes like. I never skip yogurt when in india (except maybe when am in hyd) coz of that taste.

Propagandhi711

Posts : 6592
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by TruthSeeker on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:34 pm

?

Curd to me only means two things:

1. Curd with sugar, and Aloo/Mooli/Gobi ke paranthe.
2. Lassi.

Curd rice as a salty dish is unique to SI, but tasty.

One should thank God/themselves to be born Indian, when it comes to food! :-)

TruthSeeker

Posts : 947
Join date : 2012-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Kris on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Kris wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:LOL, LOL, LOL!

i think the best accompaniment to curd rice is curd chillis and... more curd rice!

i added a bit of milk yesterday to my curd rice (thanks GK) and that went a long way to cut the excess sourness! and then i added red chilli pickle (in the pic. to the extreme left) to make it sour! it takes a lot to satisfy the heart!

absolutely bhaiya! indeed it's the green chillies-even better with a touch of a few crystals of salt that you can caress/smear on it.

BTW, bedekar makes the most hot green chillies pickles- its heavens with curd rice.  it can be more intense than wasabi. Don't taste it without some buffer or you die! it's all like sechs..raw, pungent, violent, and you sweat, but you want more and more bounce

tender mango pickles is another good one to go with curd rice and so is aavakkai - for most pickles, the key ingredient is the  ground mustard that makes it exquisite and does the magic!>>>
>>How about gongkura pickle? I used to like the one without garlic which was available in pretty much any Indian store. The one thing I missed though was the taste of  Indian curd and used to hate Knudsen buttermilk. That may be the reason I outgrew the taste for curd rice, although i did find Bulgarian buttermilk awhile later. I also got in the habit of mixing buttermilk with plain soda and a little bit of salt right before hitting the sack. The Iranians actually have a carbonated drink which I have seen in stores.

I think the higher fat & milk solids content of buffalo milk used in india makes all the difference in the flavor & texture when it comes to yogurt and coffee for that matter. bulgarian yogurt is a pretty good approximation of what yogurt made in those mud pots back home tastes like. I never skip yogurt when in india (except maybe when am in hyd) coz of that taste.
>>>The higher fat makes sense. Initially I thought the manufacturing process here involved some preservatives which gave it the funny taste. I found the bulgarian version quite by accident and never went back after that.

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:25 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
brie wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

dont know what the stuffing is called in queen(r)s english but it's called vaamu in telugu
i'm not sure but i will have to ask my andhraite (yes he belongs to AP now after bifurcation) friend if these curd chillis are stuffed with vaamu/carom-seeds. actually, very interesting!

looked up on internets but couldnt find the recipe, maybe it's specific to the area my family's from. green chillies are stuffed with ajwain and couple other stuffing thingies that make it sour(ish) but they're not sundried or fried. the chilli flava is lost when they're fried, I like this raw version much better
i think it is specific to your area. the vaamu that is more popular is deep fried in besan:


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:34 am

Kris wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Kris wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:LOL, LOL, LOL!

i think the best accompaniment to curd rice is curd chillis and... more curd rice!

i added a bit of milk yesterday to my curd rice (thanks GK) and that went a long way to cut the excess sourness! and then i added red chilli pickle (in the pic. to the extreme left) to make it sour! it takes a lot to satisfy the heart!

absolutely bhaiya! indeed it's the green chillies-even better with a touch of a few crystals of salt that you can caress/smear on it.

BTW, bedekar makes the most hot green chillies pickles- its heavens with curd rice.  it can be more intense than wasabi. Don't taste it without some buffer or you die! it's all like sechs..raw, pungent, violent, and you sweat, but you want more and more bounce

tender mango pickles is another good one to go with curd rice and so is aavakkai - for most pickles, the key ingredient is the  ground mustard that makes it exquisite and does the magic!>>>
>>How about gongkura pickle? I used to like the one without garlic which was available in pretty much any Indian store. The one thing I missed though was the taste of  Indian curd and used to hate Knudsen buttermilk. That may be the reason I outgrew the taste for curd rice, although i did find Bulgarian buttermilk awhile later. I also got in the habit of mixing buttermilk with plain soda and a little bit of salt right before hitting the sack. The Iranians actually have a carbonated drink which I have seen in stores.

I think the higher fat & milk solids content of buffalo milk used in india makes all the difference in the flavor & texture when it comes to yogurt and coffee for that matter. bulgarian yogurt is a pretty good approximation of what yogurt made in those mud pots back home tastes like. I never skip yogurt when in india (except maybe when am in hyd) coz of that taste.
>>>The higher fat makes sense. Initially I thought the manufacturing process here involved some preservatives which gave it the funny taste. I found the bulgarian version quite by accident and never went back after that.
what props says is interesting but i have my doubts. after the white revolution and pasteurization of most of the milk in india, the fat content is standardized to a fixed percentage -- be the milk of water buffalo's or cow's or mix (often mix). we buy milk from a local buffalo & cow dairy AND packaged mother dairy milk. the curd made from both milk tastes the same. mother dairy's or amul's packaged curd also tastes the same. i think it is the strain of bacteria that differentiates curd from yoghurt. i recall .|Sublime|. mention that she made her yoghurt/curd in USA (i think in she resides in buffalo, lol) using indian curd as a starter and that she kept the fire perennially lit.


Last edited by brie on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:39 am; edited 2 times in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:35 am

garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:LOL, LOL, LOL!

i think the best accompaniment to curd rice is curd chillis and... more curd rice!

i added a bit of milk yesterday to my curd rice (thanks GK) and that went a long way to cut the excess sourness! and then i added red chilli pickle (in the pic. to the extreme left) to make it sour! it takes a lot to satisfy the heart!

absolutely bhaiya! indeed it's the green chillies-even better with a touch of a few crystals of salt that you can caress/smear on it.

BTW, bedekar makes the most hot green chillies pickles- its heavens with curd rice.  it can be more intense than wasabi. Don't taste it without some buffer or you die! it's all like sechs..raw, pungent, violent, and you sweat, but you want more and more bounce

tender mango pickles is another good one to go with curd rice and so is aavakkai - for most pickles, the key ingredient is the  ground mustard that makes it exquisite and does the magic!
lol. will try it if i get a chance. maybe there are bedekar stores in bangalore -- will look.

agree with the text in red 100% -- mustard works like magic when used in pickles! funny because mustard in bengali dishes when used as a paste imparts an opposite taste: sweetish and milky.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Propagandhi711 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:54 am

brie wrote:
Kris wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Kris wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

absolutely bhaiya! indeed it's the green chillies-even better with a touch of a few crystals of salt that you can caress/smear on it.

BTW, bedekar makes the most hot green chillies pickles- its heavens with curd rice.  it can be more intense than wasabi. Don't taste it without some buffer or you die! it's all like sechs..raw, pungent, violent, and you sweat, but you want more and more bounce

tender mango pickles is another good one to go with curd rice and so is aavakkai - for most pickles, the key ingredient is the  ground mustard that makes it exquisite and does the magic!>>>
>>How about gongkura pickle? I used to like the one without garlic which was available in pretty much any Indian store. The one thing I missed though was the taste of  Indian curd and used to hate Knudsen buttermilk. That may be the reason I outgrew the taste for curd rice, although i did find Bulgarian buttermilk awhile later. I also got in the habit of mixing buttermilk with plain soda and a little bit of salt right before hitting the sack. The Iranians actually have a carbonated drink which I have seen in stores.

I think the higher fat & milk solids content of buffalo milk used in india makes all the difference in the flavor & texture when it comes to yogurt and coffee for that matter. bulgarian yogurt is a pretty good approximation of what yogurt made in those mud pots back home tastes like. I never skip yogurt when in india (except maybe when am in hyd) coz of that taste.
>>>The higher fat makes sense. Initially I thought the manufacturing process here involved some preservatives which gave it the funny taste. I found the bulgarian version quite by accident and never went back after that.
what props says is interesting but i have my doubts. after the white revolution and pasteurization of most of the milk in india, the fat content is standardized to a fixed percentage -- be the milk of water buffalo's or cow's or mix (often mix). we buy milk from a local buffalo & cow dairy AND packaged mother dairy milk. the curd made from both milk tastes the same. mother dairy's or amul's packaged curd also tastes the same. i think it is the strain of bacteria that differentiates curd from yoghurt. i recall .|Sublime|. mention that she made her yoghurt/curd in USA (i think in she resides in buffalo, lol) using indian curd as a starter and that she kept the fire perennially lit.

ofcourse the culture makes all the difference in the world when it comes to taste, I do the same vis-a-vis making yogurt at home in US with yogurt culture imported from india but there's a definite difference in texture, thickness and general creaminess of what you get in india w/buffalo milk and here in US. I can't attest to difference between cow milk and buffalo milk in india, almost never had cowmilk there.

Propagandhi711

Posts : 6592
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:38 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:


ofcourse the culture makes all the difference in the world when it comes to taste, I do the same vis-a-vis making yogurt at home in US with yogurt culture imported from india but there's a definite difference in texture, thickness and general creaminess of what you get in india w/buffalo milk and here in US. I can't attest to difference between cow milk and buffalo milk in india, almost never had cowmilk there.
makes sense. yes, high fat milk like that of buffalo's would make for a different texture of curd.

trivia: india is the largest exporter of beef (brazil is 2nd). water buffalo meat is classified as "beef" by FDA in US. whatever india exports as beef is water buffalo meat. the export is not to US per se but to mid east and east asia. i've tasted both. they taste the same in minced form (hamburgers) but as steaks, buffalo meat is a bit chewy but tastes the same.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Propagandhi711 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:04 am

brie wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:


ofcourse the culture makes all the difference in the world when it comes to taste, I do the same vis-a-vis making yogurt at home in US with yogurt culture imported from india but there's a definite difference in texture, thickness and general creaminess of what you get in india w/buffalo milk and here in US. I can't attest to difference between cow milk and buffalo milk in india, almost never had cowmilk there.
makes sense. yes, high fat milk like that of buffalo's would make for a different texture of curd.

trivia: india is the largest exporter of beef (brazil is 2nd). water buffalo meat is classified as "beef" by FDA in US. whatever india exports as beef is water buffalo meat. the export is not to US per se but to mid east and east asia. i've tasted both. they taste the same in minced form (hamburgers) but as steaks, buffalo meat is a bit chewy but tastes the same.

yeah buffalo meat is leaner than regular steak. more like a drier flank steak if anything

Propagandhi711

Posts : 6592
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:37 am

I'm glad much of the discussion about curd/ curd rice is without pics. I can't stand the sight or smell of both, and can't even look at people eating them. Never used to sit and eat at the dining table, always sneaked out on some pretext or the other. If forced to sit with others, I was done and gone, long before others got to that part. 

For the longest time, I refused to touch or clean up the utensils or plates that were used to eat them. Now, I might buy yogurt if a dish or curry calls for it. Store bought stuff doesn't smell at all and I can deal with it. I close my eyes, quickly ladle a couple of spoonfuls into the dish, stir it and close the lid. Done. 

Also guilty of making people choose between yogurt and me. Sad, but can't help it.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:45 am

ashaNirasha wrote:I'm glad much of the discussion about curd/ curd rice is without pics. I can't stand the sight or smell of both, and can't even look at people eating them. Never used to sit and eat at the dining table, always sneaked out on some pretext or the other. If forced to sit with others, I was done and gone, long before others got to that part. 

For the longest time, I refused to touch or clean up the utensils or plates that were used to eat them. Now, I might buy yogurt if a dish or curry calls for it. Store bought stuff doesn't smell at all and I can deal with it. I close my eyes, quickly ladle a couple of spoonfuls into the dish, stir it and close the lid. Done. 

Also guilty of making people choose between yogurt and me. Sad, but can't help it.


dang girl, you got a bad case of Giaourtiophobia.

I don't have a love of it, but I have put it in places wherever they have told me to put it, for benefits and such. (hope I didn't ruin your afternoon, sorry).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:49 am

ashaNirasha wrote:I'm glad much of the discussion about curd/ curd rice is without pics. I can't stand the sight or smell of both, and can't even look at people eating them. Never used to sit and eat at the dining table, always sneaked out on some pretext or the other. If forced to sit with others, I was done and gone, long before others got to that part. 

For the longest time, I refused to touch or clean up the utensils or plates that were used to eat them. Now, I might buy yogurt if a dish or curry calls for it. Store bought stuff doesn't smell at all and I can deal with it. I close my eyes, quickly ladle a couple of spoonfuls into the dish, stir it and close the lid. Done. 

Also guilty of making people choose between yogurt and me. Sad, but can't help it.

interesting! may I ask you whether in your school days, your lunch box was most frequently packed with curd rice and pickle?

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by pravalika nanda on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 am

men are not men these days.

pravalika nanda

Posts : 2023
Join date : 2011-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:00 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:I'm glad much of the discussion about curd/ curd rice is without pics. I can't stand the sight or smell of both, and can't even look at people eating them. Never used to sit and eat at the dining table, always sneaked out on some pretext or the other. If forced to sit with others, I was done and gone, long before others got to that part. 

For the longest time, I refused to touch or clean up the utensils or plates that were used to eat them. Now, I might buy yogurt if a dish or curry calls for it. Store bought stuff doesn't smell at all and I can deal with it. I close my eyes, quickly ladle a couple of spoonfuls into the dish, stir it and close the lid. Done. 

Also guilty of making people choose between yogurt and me. Sad, but can't help it.


dang girl, you got a bad case of Giaourtiophobia.

I don't have a love of it, but I have put it in places wherever they have told me to put it, for benefits and such. (hope I didn't ruin your afternoon, sorry).
Man, I hope it's not what I'm thinking it is. If it is, there are other, pleasant, sweet things you know.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by ashaNirasha on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:14 am

garam_kuta wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:I'm glad much of the discussion about curd/ curd rice is without pics. I can't stand the sight or smell of both, and can't even look at people eating them. Never used to sit and eat at the dining table, always sneaked out on some pretext or the other. If forced to sit with others, I was done and gone, long before others got to that part. 

For the longest time, I refused to touch or clean up the utensils or plates that were used to eat them. Now, I might buy yogurt if a dish or curry calls for it. Store bought stuff doesn't smell at all and I can deal with it. I close my eyes, quickly ladle a couple of spoonfuls into the dish, stir it and close the lid. Done. 

Also guilty of making people choose between yogurt and me. Sad, but can't help it.

interesting! may I ask you whether in your school days, your lunch box was most frequently packed with curd rice and pickle?
Not really. Surprisingly, never had anyone in my childhood group of lunch buddies bring that either. One girl brought rice with sambar every single day in all her school years, with different vegetable curries ( stir-fry  types) on top.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 352
Join date : 2011-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:17 am

ashaNirasha wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:I'm glad much of the discussion about curd/ curd rice is without pics. I can't stand the sight or smell of both, and can't even look at people eating them. Never used to sit and eat at the dining table, always sneaked out on some pretext or the other. If forced to sit with others, I was done and gone, long before others got to that part. 

For the longest time, I refused to touch or clean up the utensils or plates that were used to eat them. Now, I might buy yogurt if a dish or curry calls for it. Store bought stuff doesn't smell at all and I can deal with it. I close my eyes, quickly ladle a couple of spoonfuls into the dish, stir it and close the lid. Done. 

Also guilty of making people choose between yogurt and me. Sad, but can't help it.


dang girl, you got a bad case of Giaourtiophobia.

I don't have a love of it, but I have put it in places wherever they have told me to put it, for benefits and such. (hope I didn't ruin your afternoon, sorry).
Man, I hope it's not what I'm thinking it is. If it is, there are other, pleasant, sweet things you know.


used it for cosmetic purposes all my life. I would not use anything "home" on open (or any) infections. have used it on hair and skin. it's supposed to lighten scars (was advised a lot after chicken pox), and surprisingly makes you smell good (later). It adds shine to hair and conditions it. This one I can attest. I used to add yogurt in my mehendi for hair. 

To address what's in your mind Smile read somewhere if you insert it in your hooha for 30-50 minutes then it makes it smell/taste/feel good.. hehe.. too bad I discovered all these supposedly good tricks when I didn't have a need for it. But once after my 40s I did try this trick. Wasn't uncomfortable as I kept it to a minimum and even forgot about it, but I don't know of the outcome, if it was good or bad. I have never had a yeast infection in my life (knock on wood), but I don't think I will try this in that kinda scenario.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:32 am

ashaNirasha wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:I'm glad much of the discussion about curd/ curd rice is without pics. I can't stand the sight or smell of both, and can't even look at people eating them. Never used to sit and eat at the dining table, always sneaked out on some pretext or the other. If forced to sit with others, I was done and gone, long before others got to that part. 

For the longest time, I refused to touch or clean up the utensils or plates that were used to eat them. Now, I might buy yogurt if a dish or curry calls for it. Store bought stuff doesn't smell at all and I can deal with it. I close my eyes, quickly ladle a couple of spoonfuls into the dish, stir it and close the lid. Done. 

Also guilty of making people choose between yogurt and me. Sad, but can't help it.

interesting! may I ask you whether in your school days, your lunch box was most frequently packed with curd rice and pickle?
Not really. Surprisingly, never had anyone in my childhood group of lunch buddies bring that either. One girl brought rice with sambar every single day in all her school years, with different vegetable curries ( stir-fry  types) on top.

OK. as you might have guessed, some of the south indian school kids' lunch box is routinely filled with curd rice that invariably becomes sour and smells, which many detest and this dislike gets so internalized that they are not fond of curds at all - a simple solution is to make it in not-too-hot-milk with just a couple of spoons of buttermilk/curd that gets so yummy by the time one eats lunch.

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Seva Lamberdar on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:06 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:men are not men these days.
?

Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 4191
Join date : 2012-11-29

View user profile https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by seven on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Mexican salad n guacamole that I prepared myself. I also made Greek vinaigrette.

seven

Posts : 1518
Join date : 2013-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:men are not men these days.
?

'Men' is only a concept - they are all just glorified boys Laughing

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:41 am

doi ilish (ilish cooked in curd and mustard seeds)


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:51 am

Awesome! I see a wedge of gondhoraj on the side too. Super like!

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4874
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:41 am

brie wrote:doi ilish (ilish cooked in curd and mustard seeds)


Yummy!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:42 am


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by goodcitizn on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:54 am

brie wrote:

Hee hee, a most divine representation of Kali! Razz

goodcitizn

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:15 am

goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

Hee hee, a most divine representation of Kali! Razz


wish you ate fish -- you would have loved bong preparations of ilish, prawns and crabs. you are a strict vegetarian, no?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:15 am

finally got the much coveted, much awaited SHAN MASALA!!!!!!  time for some motton biryani and curry!



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:15 am

Why, don't you get this easily in Kolkata? Quite commonly available here.

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4874
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:41 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Why, don't you get this easily in Kolkata? Quite commonly available here.
really? i tried in AC market, then online (amazon) but no luck. one friend told me today (after i told him about how i had managed to get shan from new delhi) that it is available in new market! i am trying new market day after. i understand that if you do get it here, it is smuggled (amazon clearly says no shipping to india).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:51 am

no it is not smuggled. it is imported. 


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by garam_kuta on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:25 am

brie wrote:finally got the much coveted, much awaited SHAN MASALA!!!!!!  time for some motton biryani and curry!

watch out the salt content, bhaiya... it may be included already! in their home style channa masala, it is,...the first time I used, it was a mess and I kind of redeemed it by immersing a lots of potato cubes!

garam_kuta

Posts : 3106
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 am

garam_kuta wrote:
brie wrote:finally got the much coveted, much awaited SHAN MASALA!!!!!!  time for some motton biryani and curry!

watch out the salt content, bhaiya... it may be included already! in their home style channa masala, it is,...the first time I used, it was a mess and I kind of redeemed it by immersing a lots of potato cubes!
a BIG THANKS!!!

missus has planned chicken curry for tomorrow. i have just instructed ganpat to taste before adding salt.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:16 am

navami bhog (it was navami till noon today 22nd oct '15):




happy dusherra and shubo bijoya!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:43 am

OMG poori with that alu sabzi is the ultimate! And halwa!!!

Happy Vijaydashami!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Kris on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:50 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:OMG poori with that alu sabzi is the ultimate! And halwa!!!

Happy Vijaydashami!
>>>Yep. Thought of my mother.. this was her favorite combo. And it so happened that I had this last night at an Indian joint when I had a couple of hours waiting for my son.

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:OMG poori with that alu sabzi is the ultimate! And halwa!!!

Happy Vijaydashami!
>>>Yep. Thought of my mother.. this was her favorite combo. And it so happened that I had this last night at an Indian joint when I had a couple of hours waiting for my son.

Poori bhaji is an all time classic. Only, for bhaji, I prefer the dryer variety served up in Maharashtra and the South. If it has to be masaledar, then I would go with a Bengali aloor dom.


Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4874
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:21 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:OMG poori with that alu sabzi is the ultimate! And halwa!!!

Happy Vijaydashami!
>>>Yep. Thought of my mother.. this was her favorite combo. And it so happened that I had this last night at an Indian joint when I had a couple of hours waiting for my son.

Poori bhaji is an all time classic. Only, for bhaji, I prefer the dryer variety served up in Maharashtra and the South. If it has to be masaledar, then I would go with a Bengali aloor dom.

i agree. on another note, i do not like the north indian samosa (too big and spicy). i prefer the bengali ones (smaller and the alu inside is exactly the bhaji in your pic 1 with a few peanuts thrown in).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Kris on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:05 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:OMG poori with that alu sabzi is the ultimate! And halwa!!!

Happy Vijaydashami!
>>>Yep. Thought of my mother.. this was her favorite combo. And it so happened that I had this last night at an Indian joint when I had a couple of hours waiting for my son.

Poori bhaji is an all time classic. Only, for bhaji, I prefer the dryer variety served up in Maharashtra and the South. If it has to be masaledar, then I would go with a Bengali aloor dom.

>>>I will keep the bengali version in mind. Haven't had that before.

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Kris on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:12 am

brie wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:OMG poori with that alu sabzi is the ultimate! And halwa!!!

Happy Vijaydashami!
>>>Yep. Thought of my mother.. this was her favorite combo. And it so happened that I had this last night at an Indian joint when I had a couple of hours waiting for my son.

Poori bhaji is an all time classic. Only, for bhaji, I prefer the dryer variety served up in Maharashtra and the South. If it has to be masaledar, then I would go with a Bengali aloor dom.

i agree. on another note, i do not like the north indian samosa (too big and spicy). i prefer the bengali ones (smaller and the alu inside is exactly the bhaji in your pic 1 with a few peanuts thrown in).
>>>I don't care for the big sized samosas that much either. A side note: I guess this made its way across the Indian ocean. I remember going to a party at an Ethiopian (fellow) student's place and she kept talking about 'sambosas'. It turned out to be  samosas with some meat stuffing. She was puzzled when I told her it was Indian. Must have made the journey with Gujaratis who settled in East Africa.

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:30 am

Kris wrote:
>>>I don't care for the big sized samosas that much either. A side note: I guess this made its way across the Indian ocean. I remember going to a party at an Ethiopian (fellow) student's place and she kept talking about 'sambosas'. It turned out to be  samosas with some meat stuffing. She was puzzled when I told her it was Indian. Must have made the journey with Gujaratis who settled in East Africa.
Shocked Shocked

i googled. indeed the sambusa is nothing but the samosa! your hypothesis about how it may have travelled to india makes robust sense. so many things we take to have been around since time immemorial were actually introduced recently! durga puja of bengal is also a latter day invention -- revived by the hindu zamindars aligned with the raj. durga puja in bengal is only 17th century old!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:41 am

i googled a bit more. samosa, the name, has sanskrit origins. it is more likely it reached ethiopia via the arab route.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Kris on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:36 am

brie wrote:i googled a bit more. samosa, the name, has sanskrit origins. it is more likely it reached ethiopia via the arab route.
>>>The Sanskrit origin is surprising. I would have thought there could have been more of a Mughal connection. I am trying to think if I have seen something like it in Arab* cuisine. As far as I can recall, I haven't which is why I surmised the Gujarati merchant route.

*Admittedly, my experience is limited in this area. I have had more exposure to North African/Berber cuisine.

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:29 am

sorry kris i stand corrected.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa#History wrote:The samosa is claimed to have originated in the Middle East (where it is known as sambosa[8]) prior to the 10th century.[9] Abolfazl Beyhaqi (995-1077), an Iranian historian mentioned it in his history, Tarikh-e Beyhaghi.[10] It was introduced to the Indian subcontinent in the 13th or 14th century by traders from Central Asia.[6]
Amir Khusro (1253–1325), a scholar and the royal poet of the Delhi Sultanate, wrote in around 1300 that the princes and nobles enjoyed the "samosa prepared from meat, ghee, onion and so on".[11][12]
Ibn Battuta, a 14th-century traveler and explorer, describes a meal at the court of Muhammad bin Tughluq, where the samushak orsambusak, a small pie stuffed with minced meat, almonds, pistachios, walnuts and spices, was served before the third course, ofpulao.[12][13]
The Ain-i-Akbari, a 16th-century Mughal document, mentions the recipe for qutab, which it says, “the people of Hindustan callsanbúsah”.[14]

samosa does not have sanskrit origins -- with wiki note demands citation in-link. 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:56 am

Totally love the dry boiled alu with poori too. This used to be our staple in train journeys too. Alu poori and achar packed in old mithai boxes. Even now that's what we pack sometimes, if we can, on long road trips (not in old mithai boxes lol).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:23 am

brie wrote:sorry kris i stand corrected.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa#History wrote:The samosa is claimed to have originated in the Middle East (where it is known as sambosa[8]) prior to the 10th century.[9] Abolfazl Beyhaqi (995-1077), an Iranian historian mentioned it in his history, Tarikh-e Beyhaghi.[10] It was introduced to the Indian subcontinent in the 13th or 14th century by traders from Central Asia.[6]
Amir Khusro (1253–1325), a scholar and the royal poet of the Delhi Sultanate, wrote in around 1300 that the princes and nobles enjoyed the "samosa prepared from meat, ghee, onion and so on".[11][12]
Ibn Battuta, a 14th-century traveler and explorer, describes a meal at the court of Muhammad bin Tughluq, where the samushak orsambusak, a small pie stuffed with minced meat, almonds, pistachios, walnuts and spices, was served before the third course, ofpulao.[12][13]
The Ain-i-Akbari, a 16th-century Mughal document, mentions the recipe for qutab, which it says, “the people of Hindustan callsanbúsah”.[14]

samosa does not have sanskrit origins -- with wiki note demands citation in-link. 

And look at the sheer travesty of replacing mincemeat, almonds, pistachios and walnuts with aloo!!

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4874
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [2 of 2]

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:53 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum