Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

meanwhile in the world of real cricket...

+3
Jeremiah Mburuburu
doofus_maximus
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

meanwhile in the world of real cricket... Empty meanwhile in the world of real cricket...

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 pm

you know the kind that is played for five days in whites, with a cherry involving no quadruple chins and corrupt sons-in-law, and which doesn't feature half naked dancing girls? there was excitement in that world, a maiden test ton on a home ground:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

meanwhile in the world of real cricket... Empty Re: meanwhile in the world of real cricket...

Post by doofus_maximus Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 am

you don't have belabor the point. we get it that you don't like tonty-tonty.
besides, do you really think that folks in our age group really care about IPL.

PS: IMHO, by the time he retires, Anderson will be considered one of the all time great SWING bowlers cricket has seen.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

meanwhile in the world of real cricket... Empty Re: meanwhile in the world of real cricket...

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am

it is not just that i don't care about the IPL. i am frustrated that in the face of such a glaring conflict of interest nobody in the indian cricketing establishment has the courage to unseat srinivasan. why is he being allowed to do this? why is everyone suffering from a collective loss of testicles?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 26, 2013 9:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it is not just that i don't care about the IPL. i am frustrated that in the face of such a glaring conflict of interest nobody in the indian cricketing establishment has the courage to unseat srinivasan. why is he being allowed to do this? why is everyone suffering from a collective loss of testicles?
n. srinivasan? he was a wuss. i knew him well. he never played any cricket, but he played decent tennis at college. he was coached regularly by ramanathan krishnan.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 am

yes n.srinivasan. he is the president of the bcci and a franchise owner of the most valuable IPL franchises, the chennai super kings, and in my estimation corrupt to the core.

he hasn't been playing any tennis lately. he seems to collect chins for a hobby these days. was he at IIT with you? please say he was. you'll make at least two individuals on this board very happy.

meanwhile in the world of real cricket... 158534
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 26, 2013 10:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:yes n.srinivasan. he is the president of the bcci and a franchise owner of the most valuable IPL franchises, the chennai super kings, and in my estimation corrupt to the core.
i didn't know that it's possible to be corrupt in those positions. what does he do? match-fixing? organize a gambling ring? i wouldn't have thought that he had the gumption to engage in any of that.

he was largely ignored at school, being neither academically brilliant, nor a sportsman. always sat in the third row in class. (i sat in the last, reading comics under the desk.) he worked hard at academics, but was never extraordinary; and we aggravated his frustration by playing the fool and pretending that we worked less hard than we actually did.

he didn't play tennis at school, and our cricket teams were too strong - jawad hussain, england's nassir hussain's father, p.k. belliappa, etc. - for any ordinary person to make it. the only tamil brahmin fella i remember to have made it to our team was n. ram.

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:he hasn't been playing any tennis lately. he seems to collect chins for a hobby these days..
hahaha. i was shocked when i saw his photo, but i recognize his face quite well.
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:was he at IIT with you? please say he was.
no, he was at school with me. only one other fella in my class at school made it to an iit, and he attended iit-b. srinivasan did chemical engineering at the a.c. college of technology of madras u. he formed a strong doubles tennis team with his cousin, n. shankar. i think krishnan coached them together. they used to come to the institute to play inter-collegiate tennis matches.

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you'll make at least two individuals on this board very happy.
hahaha, but why would anyone be happy that he attended an iit?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 11:10 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:i didn't know that it's possible to be corrupt in those positions. what does he do? match-fixing? organize a gambling ring? i wouldn't have thought that he had the gumption to engage in any of that.

he was largely ignored at school, being neither academically brilliant, nor a sportsman. always sat in the third row in class. (i sat in the last, reading comics under the desk.) he worked hard at academics, but was never extraordinary; and we aggravated his frustration by playing the fool and pretending that we worked less hard than we actually did.

..Here is some information about your classmate at School....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 26, 2013 11:12 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:hahaha, but why would anyone be happy that he attended an iit?

ah you see just the attending of an iit is no good. if you can combine it with some unsavory act or lascivious behavior, now that's gold!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:hahaha, but why would anyone be happy that he attended an iit?

ah you see just the attending of an iit is no good. if you can combine it with some unsavory act or lascivious behavior, now that's gold!

Of course... naturally...and it is only fair... When someone went to IIT and does some praiseworthy act, the media, the public, and many times the person give all the credit to IIT (forgetting their high school education, post graduation, etc...), then it is only fair to aportion all the blame to their IIT education when their graduates do something wrong.

In fact, if only had N. Srinivasan gone to IIT, he could have become even more brilliant and would have done great crookery as ICC Chairman.

That is the way it is and that is the way it should be....fairness in everything.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 11:22 am

...How and why the Son-in-Law is the favorite of N. Srinivasan.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 26, 2013 11:24 am

attending an IIT does not imbue a human being with immunity from the usual human foibles. only saamiyaar and rishi think that and have made it at least part of their life's work to whine about IITans.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 26, 2013 11:29 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Of course... naturally...and it is only fair... When someone went to IIT and does some praiseworthy act, the media, the public, and many times the person give all the credit to IIT (forgetting their high school education, post graduation, etc...), then it is only fair to aportion all the blame to their IIT education when their graduates do something wrong.

In fact, if only had N. Srinivasan gone to IIT, he could have become even more brilliant and would have done great crookery as ICC Chairman.

That is the way it is and that is the way it should be....fairness in everything.
max, i just remembered something: i think that srinivasan did his graduate work at IIT - the Illinois Institute of Technology, so the references to IIT that you might have seen in his profile may be to that institute.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 26, 2013 11:32 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:i didn't know that it's possible to be corrupt in those positions. what does he do? match-fixing? organize a gambling ring? i wouldn't have thought that he had the gumption to engage in any of that.

he has not been implicated in match/spot fixing but the scandal has come very close -- to his son-in-law, a scion of another prominent chennai family the avm family of the avm studios. his son-in-law until he got arrested was the "CEO", whatever that means, of the chennai super kings,

while he has not been directly implicated, his owning of a sporting franchise directly administered by a cricketing body he heads is a HUGE conflict of interest. in fact he went to the extent of getting the BCCI's constitution rewritten to make it possible for him to wear both of these highly conflicting hats. the public has just accepted this like sheep and allowed him to continue in this position. nobody seems to be very exercised about all this except a few erudite but toothless cricket journalists and part time internet warriors like myself.

tamilians until recently used to whine that they have no say in india's cricketing affairs and that the mumbaikars have unfairly made the system work for themselves. well, they were given the reins and look how they have made a mess of it!

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun May 26, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 11:39 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:attending an IIT does not imbue a human being with immunity from the usual human foibles. only saamiyaar and rishi think that and have made it at least part of their life's work to whine about IITans.

But, the public and the media seem to think so...and Rish and Saamiyaar do is to remind that an IITian can be just as big a crook as anyone else.

Why should it upset anyone when IIT tag is attached to misdeeds while the same tag is proudly waved at every success of an IITian?

If anything IITs give only a conducive environment (thanks to the largesse of the Indian Govt and taxpayers) and its teachers are just as good or as bad as any at the NITs and other top 50 colleges in India. If anything the credit should go to the 12 years of education the iitians get before they get in. But alas, not many IITians realize this either.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 26, 2013 11:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:attending an IIT does not imbue a human being with immunity from the usual human foibles. only saamiyaar and rishi think that and have made it at least part of their life's work to whine about IITans.
uppusaamy started whining about the iits long before the very public debacles of rajat gupta and phaneesh murthy. he also whines constantly about the ivy league universities of the u.s., and more recently, about the iims. i can imagine his reasons. he - uppusaamy - is very transparent.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 11:49 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
uppusaamy started whining about the iits long before the very public debacles of rajat gupta and phaneesh murthy. he also whines constantly about the ivy league universities of the u.s., and more recently, about the iims. i can imagine his reasons. he - uppusaamy - is very transparent.

Hahaha.... I have been whining about politicians, CPAs, Liars, MBAs, Medicos, academicians, wall street looters, you, max, and even myself...for Y E A R S....in case you have failed to notice it...Razz

So what do you think is the reason ??? Be man and out with it...Smile

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 26, 2013 11:52 am

doofus_maximus wrote:

PS: IMHO, by the time he retires, Anderson will be considered one of the all time great SWING bowlers cricket has seen.

May be great in English conditions much like the over hyped great Dennis Lillee

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 11:58 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:

May be great in English conditions much like the over hyped great Dennis Lillee
is

Then there was this long forgotten Aussie called Bob Massie and this guy could make the ball move and hiss like a snake all over the pitch and air. just a medium pacer, he formed a great partnership with the thunderbolts Lillie and Thompson for a brief period.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 12:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
tamilians until recently used to whine that they have no say in india's cricketing affairs and that the mumbaikars have unfairly made the system work for themselves. well, they were given the reins and look how they have made a mess of it!

BCCI is jinxed... Look who all headed it over the last 2 decades. Dalmiya (this guy is back at it again), Pawar, Srinivasan and all are crooks. Politicians and businessmen - their interests are power and money FIRST.

both groups are unfit to run BCCI.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 26, 2013 12:15 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

But, the public and the media seem to think so...and Rish and Saamiyaar do is to remind that an IITian can be just as big a crook as anyone else.

Why should it upset anyone when IIT tag is attached to misdeeds while the same tag is proudly waved at every success of an IITian?

If anything IITs give only a conducive environment (thanks to the largesse of the Indian Govt and taxpayers) and its teachers are just as good or as bad as any at the NITs and other top 50 colleges in India. If anything the credit should go to the 12 years of education the iitians get before they get in. But alas, not many IITians realize this either.

while i have not done a thorough comparative study of the iits and other universities, everything i've known and heard leads me to believe that:

1. the iits are far superior to the other engineering colleges in india, on the basis of the quality of students, faculty, facilities, curricula, and teaching;

2. students entering the iits are far superior in academic preparation to those entering other indian engineering colleges;

(the credit for all this should go to jawaharlal nehru, the board of directors of the iits, and motivated, hard-working students.)

3. the iits' faculty and facilities are far inferior to those of the engineering school of the average university in the u.s., and no match to the well-known universities that have strong engineering schools, e.g. stanford, and certainly the specialized institutes of technology, e.g. m.i.t.

i don't think i've revealed any startling info here.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 26, 2013 12:21 pm

3. the iits' faculty and facilities are far inferior to those of the engineering school of the average university in the u.s.,..

true on average, but there are some real gems. i had a few of them, and the best ever teacher that i never had as an undergrad is prof balakrishnan the IIT madras physicist. he is probably the best ever classroom lecturer i have ever seen in any subject, indian or american.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun May 26, 2013 12:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

3. the iits' faculty and facilities are far inferior to those of the engineering school of the average university in the u.s.,..

true on average, but there are some real gems. i had a few of them, and the best ever teacher that i never had as an undergrad is prof balakrishnan the IIT madras physicist. he is probably the best ever classroom lecturer i have ever seen in any subject, indian or american.

i should have been more specific. the iit faculty's teaching was good. i meant that their overall accomplishments, including, research, publications, etc., are far inferior to those of faculty at the average american university. iit-m's faculty members in the mathematics, physics, chemistry, materials science, and applied mechanics departments were very good teachers.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 26, 2013 12:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i should have been more specific. the iit faculty's teaching was good. i meant that their overall accomplishments, including, research, publications, etc., are far inferior to those of faculty at the average american university. iit-m's faculty members in the mathematics, physics, chemistry, materials science, and applied mechanics departments were very good teachers.

that's true. the relentless pressure in the US to publish and to win grant money that in turn fuels research is one of the factors responsible for american academia's continuing edge in research. this pressure can of course be extreme and have negative consequences leading people to move as was the case in venky ramakrishnan's decision to leave the US. but in a larger sense this pressure is a positive thing keeping people from intellectual death and decay post tenure. as i understand it, federal grant money in india is not all that competitive if you are at an IIT or IISc. incidentally prof b also wins high marks on the research and publication front. you can tell i am an unabashed fan.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun May 26, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 26, 2013 12:51 pm

1. the iits are far superior to the other engineering colleges in india, on the basis of the quality of students, faculty, facilities, curricula, and teaching;

2. students entering the iits are far superior in academic preparation to those entering other indian engineering colleges;

(the credit for all this should go to jawaharlal nehru, the board of directors of the iits, and motivated, hard-working students.)

3. the iits' faculty and facilities are far inferior to those of the engineering school of the average university in the u.s., and no match to the well-known universities that have strong engineering schools, e.g. stanford, and certainly the specialized institutes of technology, e.g. m.i.t.

i don't think i've revealed any startling info here.

I agree on all three..

However, I The motivation and hard-working ethics for the 18 yr olds were ingrained in them long before they stepped on the IIT campuses. The high schools, family environment, guidance they received are more than responsible for these qualities. Like I said before all that the IITs do is to provide the environment and Nehru and tax payers should be thankful. In fact, I will give the GoI even more credit for establishing RECs in every state - which have now become Pseudo IITs with overall better teachers than the IITs - Trichy, Suratkal, warrangal, Bhopal, and Calicut, can give a good competition to many of the IITs.

BTW, Stanford is not the greatest for Engineering. If you really want great UG engineering look at Lafayette, Harvey Mudd, Rose-Hulman, Kettering, Obispo, and Olin College. Grdautes from here are snapped up by the MITs and Stanfords even ahead of their own graduates. There is a qualitative difference between the graduates from these schools and the MIT/Stanford Undergraduates - which are primarily gradute/research centers. Unfortunately, the US public does not recognize a university without undergraduate programs. So they have to have UG programs.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun May 26, 2013 5:34 pm

[quote="MaxEntropy_Man"]yes n.srinivasan. he is the president of the bcci and a franchise owner of the most valuable IPL franchises, the chennai super kings, and in my estimation corrupt to the core.

he hasn't been playing any tennis lately. he seems to collect chins for a hobby these days. was he at IIT with you? please say he was. you'll make at least two individuals on this board very happy.

** That's a scary picture, max. Otherwise, he would've been a wonderful help to my plan B. I would've asked flam to introduce me to him, but alas, this ghastly picture.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Mon May 27, 2013 5:52 am

doofus_maximus wrote:PS: IMHO, by the time he retires, Anderson will be considered one of the all time great SWING bowlers cricket has seen.

Two things:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV_UULLBK4g

2. meanwhile in the world of real cricket... Hyperbole-04
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 27, 2013 8:58 am

churi. wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:PS: IMHO, by the time he retires, Anderson will be considered one of the all time great SWING bowlers cricket has seen.
Two things:
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV_UULLBK4g

so not even the greatest swing bowler of this year?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 am

....Bob Massie on his debut at Lords - the only video I could find...

(Interesting to see many of the past greats in that video).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down