Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text)

+6
Vakavaka Pakapaka
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
indophile
southindian
Kayalvizhi
10 posters

Go down

What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text) Empty What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text)

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 pm

What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text) Empty Re: What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text)

Post by southindian Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 pm

In Swahili it means "LTTE is permanently screwed for good".
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text) Empty Re: What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text)

Post by indophile Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:35 am

In Sanskrit "Mangala" means (in thos context) the planet Mars; "Yaana" means vehicle. So "Mangala-yaana" literally means Mars vehicle. When fit into Hindi "Mangala-yaana" becomes Mangal-yaan.

Of course. Mars is called Kuja and Angaaraka in Sanskrit. Those names were not chosen for the Mars orbiter. What they call "kuja-dosham" in astrology in the South is called "manglik" in the North. Mangala can also mean "good" or "shubha" (e.g., maangalya, sarva-mangalaani bhavantu, Sreeraama chandruniki nitya subha mangalam, etc.).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:38 am

indophile wrote:In Sanskrit "Mangala" means (in thos context) the planet Mars; "Yaana" means vehicle. So "Mangala-yaana" literally means Mars vehicle. When fit into Hindi "Mangala-yaana" becomes Mangal-yaan.

Of course. Mars is called Kuja and Angaaraka in Sanskrit. Those names were not chosen for the Mars orbiter. What they call "kuja-dosham" in astrology in the South is called "manglik" in the North. Mangala can also mean "good" or "shubha" (e.g., maangalya, sarva-mangalaani bhavantu, Sreeraama chandruniki nitya subha mangalam, etc.).
Hey Indo! Don't feed the Troll(us Fishyeyeus)
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 pm

indophile wrote:In Sanskrit "Mangala" means (in thos context) the planet Mars; "Yaana" means vehicle. So "Mangala-yaana" literally means Mars vehicle. When fit into Hindi "Mangala-yaana" becomes Mangal-yaan.

, etc.).
Thanks

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:20 pm

indians celebrate their festivals with much enthusiasm. this diwali they fired a rocket all the way to mars... haaaaaa haaaaa haaaa

*heard on whatsapp*

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:01 pm

indo-- why did they shorten it to mangalyaan? why didn't they leave it as magala-yaana?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:indo-- why did they shorten it to mangalyaan? why didn't they leave it as magala-yaana?
Most Hindi words are hala-ant (end in consonants). For example, Raama in Sanskrit is Raam in Hindi.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:

, etc.).
Thanks
So, are you happy that Hindian words are used to name the Mars Vehicle even though many Tamizhians are working in ISRO? What is Mars vehicle in LTTE Tamizh?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm

indophile wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:indo-- why did they shorten it to mangalyaan? why didn't they leave it as magala-yaana?
Most Hindi words are hala-ant (end in consonants). For example, Raama in Sanskrit is Raam in Hindi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi#Sanskrit_vocabulary

Tatsam (तत्सम / same as that) words: These are words which are spelt the same in Hindi as in Sanskrit (except for the absence of final case inflexions).[10] They include words inherited from Sanskrit via Prakrit which have survived without modification (e.g. Hindustani nām/Sanskrit nāma, "name"; Hindustani Suraj/Sanskrit Surya, "sun"),[11] as well as forms borrowed directly from Sanskrit in more modern times (e.g. prārthanā, "prayer").[12] Pronunciation, however, conforms to Hindi norms and may differ from that of classical Sanskrit. Amongst nouns, the tatsam word could be the Sanskrit uninflected word-stem, or it could be the nominative singular form in the Sanskrit nominal declension.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

, etc.).
Thanks
So, are you happy that Hindian words are used to name the Mars Vehicle even though many Tamizhians are working in ISRO? What is Mars vehicle in LTTE Tamizh?
India is the land of Hindians/Samskritists. So the name does not surprise me.

In Tamil "sevvaai viN uurthi" or "sevvaai viN kalan".

THere is only one Tamil. Its callled Tamil. Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli chastised BJP's Dr. Murli Manohar Joshi for saying otherwise.
http://www.tamiltribune.com/01/0601.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:

THere is only one Tamil. Its callled Tamil. Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli chastised BJP's Dr. Murli Manohar Joshi for saying otherwise.
http://www.tamiltribune.com/01/0601.html
you mean it is not "Tha" anymore? Dont you be calling your ideologue as Dr. Tanjai ...?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

, etc.).
Thanks
If they are looking for a Telugu name, how about Kuja-bandi (just like Tirupati-bandi, Bombai-bandi, Kalakatta-bandi, etc.), except this bandi doesn't take passengers. Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Does the Telugu word bandi come from Tamil vandi?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Does the Telugu word bandi come from Tamil vandi?
Yes... that is why I claim all over Andhra and Telengana for TN.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:15 pm

No, Telugu did not come from Tamil. However, they both have a common ancestor called proto-dravidian or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian_languages

Last edited by indophile on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to include the link)

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean?
I just read Mangalyaan as "Manga Thalaiyan"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:Does the Telugu word bandi come from Tamil vandi?
Yes... that is why I claim all over Andhra and Telengana for TN.
Stop being unfair to Telangana. Forget about Andhra and its capital Hyderabad (LOL) but take Telangana.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:27 pm

LOL! listening to "pon ondru kandean, pen angu illai..." what a beautiful composition!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
LOL! listening to "pon ondru kandean, pen angu illai..." what a beautiful composition!
I will attempt a translation  -
pon ondru kandean -- hey! girl with just one eye,
pen angu illai ---- the guy is not there (where you think he is).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:48 pm

indophile wrote:No, Telugu did not come from Tamil. However, they both have a common ancestor called proto-dravidian or whatever.

Afaiu, these proto-whatevers are not actual languages but just postulates of linguistic theories to explain the commonality of a set of languages. This may or may not correspond to the actual reality of such a common language ever existing or having had wide spread (geographically as well as over time) usage. For eg: let's say in next two hundred years English influence becomes very widespread with local adaptations viz. Hinglish, Chinglish, Tinglish etc. Then some 2000 years later a linguist looking at the commonalities will claim that English, Hinglish, Chinglish, Tinglish etc.. all had a proto-English parent even though a normally evolved English with 70% commonality to the current day English is still in use.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:52 pm

FYI, kujA is not telugu. ku represents Earth and jA is born of. kujA is same as bhauma as in bhumi putra. Which is the name of mars based on the story of his origins in the puranas.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:11 pm

yaan is also journey. naukAyanam, vimAnayAnam, dakshiNAyanam, uttarAyanam.. all indicate journey by the word yAnam.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:13 pm

I meant AyAn is journey.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:30 pm

indophile wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
let me translate:

I found OE woman

She has no headlice.

P.S. Of course, this is not correct....(but better than yours..Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:58 am

indophile wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
let me translate:

I found OE woman

She has no headlice.

A very high bar indeed, but my turn now:

pon ondru kandean -- I saw a piece of gold

pen angu illau-- there was no pen there, though

(maybe he was looking for a golden pen, but came up short)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:08 am

smArtha wrote:I meant AyAn is journey.
Dictionary entries for yana ans ayana.
http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=+yana&trans=Translate&direction=SE
http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=AyAna+&trans=Translate&direction=AU

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 am

Kris wrote:
indophile wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I just read Mangalyaan as "Manga Thalaiyan"
let me translate:

I found OE woman

She has no headlice.

A very high bar indeed, but my turn now:

pon ondru kandean -- I saw a piece of gold

pen angu illau-- there was no pen there, though

(maybe he was looking for a golden pen, but came up short)
LOL, golden pen indeed! aiyoo, indo please watch the original song for pronounciation...then maybe you'll get the meaning:-) it is a beautiful song

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:27 am

indophile wrote:No, Telugu did not come from Tamil. However, they both have a common ancestor called proto-dravidian or whatever.

i find your linguistic attitude very revealing. whenever you write about something sanskritic, you take great care to provide reasonable sounding explanations and answers. you sound almost reverential! but if it's something to do with your own native tongue or its history, you're dismissive and sometimes even derisive. are you ashamed of your language's non-sanskritic roots? that its roots would have something in common with that most despised of languages (puke, puke), tamil! is that it?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 am

smArtha wrote:FYI, kujA is not telugu. ku represents Earth and jA is born of. kujA is same as bhauma as in bhumi putra. Which is the name of mars based on the story of his origins in the puranas.
angaaraka? There are stories that "he" was born a drop of Vishnu's sweat and/or Siva's sweat and born as iron-colored (lohitaanga), and so the name angaaraka. When Bhoodevi adopted him he became Ku-ja.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i find your linguistic attitude very revealing. whenever you write about something sanskritic, you take great care to provide reasonable sounding explanations and answers. you sound almost reverential! but if it's something to do with your own native tongue or its history, you're dismissive and sometimes even derisive. are you ashamed of your language's non-sanskritic roots? that its roots would have something in common with that most despised of languages (puke, puke), tamil! is that it?
you seem to making up for JM's absence rather well. keep filling up the "vacuum."

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

you seem to making up for JM's absence rather well. keep filling up the "vacuum."
lol!
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Where did Indo say that Telugu's roots are not common to Tamil's roots? He did mention that both seemed to come from some proto-Dravidian language and that is acknowledging common ancestry (aka common roots). Unless you are upset that he didn't accept 'Telugu came out of Tamil premise' as most Tamilians would like to claim/believe and get riled up when such a claim is even questioned or considered for discussion.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

A very large Tamil chip, indeed, on your shoulders, Il Professor-ai!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Max, why you always so annoyed and that too on such a small forum? It doesn't affect anyone here or help you in sharing your frustrations.

If you are annoyed and want a bigger audience to hear then express your frustations on a larger forum.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Max, why you always so annoyed and that too on such a small forum? It doesn't affect anyone here or help you in sharing your frustrations.

If you are annoyed and want a bigger audience to hear then express your frustations on a larger forum.
sir, looks to me that you are more annoyed with this than anyone else. just saying.

MAX - neenga nalla kelapi vittutu oditeenga:-) have a great weekend, to all

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:56 am

Impedimenta wrote:
southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

sir, looks to me that you are more annoyed with this than anyone else. just saying.

No madam, I'm not annoyed at all. Max is the one with 2 puk*s in his post. Smile

I hope your words are soothing for Max and he calms down after this.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
indophile wrote:No,i ?
This will explain the behaviour

https://such.forumotion.com/t17196-tamil-pride-article-by-a-demented-twisted-hindian-fanatic?highlight=tamil+pride

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
indophile wrote:No,i ?
This will explain the behaviour

https://such.forumotion.com/t17196-tamil-pride-article-by-a-demented-twisted-hindian-fanatic?highlight=tamil+pride
Which part, Trollus Fishyeyeus?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 pm

first 6 lines itself explainns the Tamil behaviur (as understood by a demented Hindian fanatic) but the whole article is educative

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:first 6 lines itself explainns the Tamil behaviur (as understood by a demented Hindian fanatic) but the whole article is educative
How do I know that this article was not written by a demented Tamil fanatic, Trollus? Is there a link to the original article?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

nice display of good, old fashioned, ghetto mentality. tambi needs gallant tangi to defend him always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always, haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa  

get ready for this tomorrow:

What language is MANGALYAN? What it mean? (no text) Impy10

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Nice

Signature updated

Enjoy!
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down