Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dentist

3 posters

Go down

dentist Empty dentist

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 pm

hey guys,

any dentists here? or anyone know dentists?

i've been told i need fillings 6mos ago and am due for an oral prophylaxis now and i've been reminded to get my fillings done. i don't like this dentist but i can't change him until jan. is it okay to push off till jan? i'm worried that he might not do a good job. can a lot of things go wrong when doing a filling? if so, i will consider going to my family dentist whom i really trust, except he doesn't take my insurance, i'll have to pay in full.

thanks,
nanda

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

dentist Empty Re: dentist

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 pm

If you are not comfortable with the dentist, drop him like a red hot brick. Find another one. Fillings can be put off if you don't have tooth ache. Some dentists are notoriously known to do unnecessary dental work. I have changed quite a few. Ask around, from neighbors, co-workers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:24 pm

PN, Did you know that you can check up your dentist's profile on the Net? his rep, law suits and ratings. Also find the dentists in your town for their ratings. Google the dentists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:hey guys,

any dentists here? or anyone know dentists?

i've been told i need fillings 6mos ago and am due for an oral prophylaxis now and i've been reminded to get my fillings done. i don't like this dentist but i can't change him until jan. is it okay to push off till jan? i'm worried that he might not do a good job. can a lot of things go wrong when doing a filling? if so, i will consider going to my family dentist whom i really trust, except he doesn't take my insurance, i'll have to pay in full.

thanks,
nanda

If the decay is not too big and if it's not bothering you, then I'd wait the next 5-6m and get it done by a dentist I trust. Dental emergencies happen when the decay reaches the nerve in the pulp of the tooth. Hopefully, it isn't that bad. When you go the second dentist, don't mention to him initially about the fillings that the previous dentist suggested. Let him do his own diagnosis.

Meanwhile, floss daily, paying special attn to the areas where you were told that you need a filling. Brush the biting (occlusal) surfaces well, taking care to see that food is not stuck in the grooves. And swish with ACT fluoride rinse or Listerine fluoride (the purple one) twice daily. The sequence: floss, brush, mouthwash. Do it twice everyday. That should take care of the caries not getting worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Clove oil, sold in Indian grocery store helps to relieve tooth ache. Drug stores sell oral anesthetic gel for temporary relief of pain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:33 pm

a dentist's joke to patients: floss only those teeth that you want to keep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:a dentist's joke to patients: floss only those teeth that you want to keep.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14026830
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Hmm... good teeth is a must for pravalika right now... she first needs to land a doc with a flashing smile and no bad breath, and then who knows, he might check her teeth for later fertility issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:24 am

thank you guys, esp kinnera and priya. very useful info, kinny.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:04 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Hmm... good teeth is a must for pravalika right now... she first needs to land a doc with a flashing smile and no bad breath, and then who knows, he might check her teeth for later fertility issues.

Agreed. She better move fast and get that filling done by the family dentist even if she has to pay for the treatment herself. By the end of this year, she's gonna be past the age when her eggs would be good enough to sell (by her own admission).

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:10 am

You are most welcome PN. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down