Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7 things north indians shld know abt tamils

+11
Maria S
Merlot Daruwala
michelle2
garam_kuta
Kayalvizhi
swapna
nevada
Silly Point
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
Rishi
15 posters

Go down

7 things north indians shld know abt tamils Empty 7 things north indians shld know abt tamils

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:00 pm

FB posting from a tamil friend.

Suppressed tamil voice or crap?

http://www.theweekendleader.com/Opinion/1965/7-things-north-indians-should-know-about-tamils.html

(brb...will get my popcorn)

Back to top Go down

7 things north indians shld know abt tamils Empty Re: 7 things north indians shld know abt tamils

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Kinnera wrote:FB posting from a tamil friend.

http://www.theweekendleader.com/Opinion/1965/7-things-north-indians-should-know-about-tamils.html

For God’s sake don’t assume all of us know Hindi and carry views of Hindi speaking politicians without English sub-titles if you call yourself an English channel.

Especially when you are covering matters relating to Tamil Nadu, like say, the current hot topic relating to the release of the Rajiv assassination case convicts. Hardly 3 percent of the population understands Hindi in Tamil Nadu.

>>>That is what I said a few days ago.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

7 things north indians shld know abt tamils Empty Re: 7 things north indians shld know abt tamils

Post by truthbetold Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:23 pm

A non Tamil like me thinks there is truth in that.
what is chettinad food?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:28 pm

a northindian will never feel the need to write an explainer article for the benefit of telugus or tamils.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm

truthbetold wrote:A non Tamil like me thinks there is truth in that.
what is chettinad food?
Possibly the most amazing cuisine next to my amma's cooking (ofcourse)

*helpfully Yours*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Silly Point wrote:
what is chettinad food?

*helpfully Yours*

Krithi

Can you give examples? Yes. I can google.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a northindian will never feel the need to write an explainer article for the benefit of telugus or tamils.

>>>What does that mean? Does your statement point to the arrogant attitude of NIs?

Should Tamils even care what NIs think about them and try to explain?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:37 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Silly Point wrote:
what is chettinad food?

*helpfully Yours*

Krithi

chicken chettinad. Yum. When I first had that, I told my telugu friend how a loved that dish from Andhra. That was an oops

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:38 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Silly Point wrote:
what is chettinad food?

*helpfully Yours*

Krithi

Then do it.. Jest Do it Very Happy

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a northindian will never feel the need to write an explainer article for the benefit of telugus or tamils.

>>>What does that mean? Does your statement point to the arrogant attitude of NIs?

no my statement underscores the obsequious attitude of some tamilians.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:43 pm

and such a long winded article to simply say, we are as diverse as any other culture.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Rishi wrote:

For God’s sake don’t assume all of us know Hindi and carry views of Hindi speaking politicians without English sub-titles if you call yourself an English channel.

Especially when you are covering matters relating to Tamil Nadu, like say, the current hot topic relating to the release of the Rajiv assassination case convicts. Hardly 3 percent of the population understands Hindi in Tamil Nadu.

>>>That is what I said a few days ago.
 I agree. This reminds me of an interview that i watched a while ago. This Barkha female does an interview in english interspersed with hindi, for an english channel, NDTV while the interviewed Khejrival dude responds only in Hindi. This moron with all his IIT kharagpur brain imagines that india's aam aadmi can understand only hindi, but watches english channels. So for the benefit of the hindi speaking, english channel watching aam aadmi, he responds only in hindi. Khejrival may be brainless. But what happened to the brains of NDTV folks? They don't even have the sense to carry subtitles in english, though it's an english channel. Thoughtlessness or sheer arrogance?

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Was that written by a meat eating shudra who lacks appreciation for the finer things in life?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:17 pm

nevada wrote:Was that written by a meat eating shudra who lacks appreciation for the finer things in life?

eh? most tamilians are carnivores or at least omnivores.

http://hindu.com/2006/08/14/stories/2006081403771200.htm

The survey shows that regional location matters more than caste or community. As expected, the lowest proportion of vegetarian families are in coastal States such as Kerala (two per cent), Tamil Nadu (eight per cent), Andhra Pradesh (four per cent), Orissa (eight per cent) and Bengal (three per cent). Most land-locked States, especially in the west and north, are places with the highest proportion of vegetarian families: Rajasthan (63 per cent), Haryana (62 per cent), Punjab (48 per cent), Uttar Pradesh (33 per cent), Madhya Pradesh (35 per cent) and Gujarat (45 per cent).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:25 pm

and the diversity of food habits amongst indians never fails to amaze me. a few days ago, i had taken a guest of mine at work out to lunch, a very highly accomplished chemist and a sought after speaker. i knew him slightly. he is a tamilian and from his name i had surmised that he was surely a non-vegetarian and suggested many excellent sea food restaurants in the neighborhood. i was surprised when he told me he was a vegetarian.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and the diversity of food habits amongst indians never fails to amaze me. a few days ago, i had taken a guest of mine at work out to lunch, a very highly accomplished chemist and a sought after speaker. i knew him slightly. he is a tamilian and from his name i had surmised that he was surely a non-vegetarian and suggested many excellent sea food restaurants in the neighborhood. i was surprised when he told me he was a vegetarian.

ya. my name suggests i shd be a vegetarian.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and the diversity of food habits amongst indians never fails to amaze me. a few days ago, i had taken a guest of mine at work out to lunch, a very highly accomplished chemist and a sought after speaker. i knew him slightly. he is a tamilian and from his name i had surmised that he was surely a non-vegetarian and suggested many excellent sea food restaurants in the neighborhood. i was surprised when he told me he was a vegetarian.

Pillais and saiva vellalas tend to be vegetrian.

There are vegetarians among other non-brahmin castes in TN.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:11 pm

Jai says that Southern Indians deserve the crap that Northern Indians throw at them.

Why would SIs want NIs to understand the SI point of view? Why should SIs be fair to NIs?

If NIs ever speak to you in Hindi, say, "I don't speak your language; send me a translation, and I'll try to respond."

Ignore NIs and live your own SI lives. You don't lose anything by not knowing any of them (unless you are a Kinnera).

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:19 pm

You buy a train tuicket. Destination is in Hindi and English. Do you travel with it not knowing where your ticket really takes you or send it to Railway minister asking for a translation?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Some people never understand the difference between a small problem and a big problem. They search for problems and magnify them to feel vindicated.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:You buy a train tuicket. Destination is in Hindi and English. Do you travel with it not knowing where your ticket really takes you or send it to Railway minister asking for a translation?
Stop complaining; do something. For example, don't leave the ticket window until the Railways provide you an official translation of the ticket. You are paying the ticket clerk, and for the train and the tracks. There are many ways to protest peacefully.

But first, stop learning Hindi, and learn your native language.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:46 pm

swapna wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:You buy a train tuicket. Destination is in Hindi and English. Do you travel with it not knowing where your ticket really takes you or send it to Railway minister asking for a translation?
Stop complaining; do something. For example, don't leave the ticket window until the Railways provide you an official translation of the ticket. You are paying the ticket clerk, and for the train and the tracks. There are many ways to protest peacefully.

WHy? why can't we be bi-tri-multi lingual?? why limit ourselves? it is like biting of nose to spite face? right? I am not the one to talk I can't read or write Tamil but speak Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam Fluently.. My parents insisted we know these languages! more parents should insist their children learn their native language and Hindi.. it is a language it is not going to hurt to learn another language...

*multilingually yours*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:47 pm

swapna wrote:

What a bad suggestion? I am on my to home from work for the holidays. On the way I refuse to leave the railway ticket counter until they provide tamil translation. WAit how long? Until Tamil Nadu becomes independent???

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:10 pm

swapna wrote:

Jai says that Southern Indians deserve the crap that Northern Indians throw at them.

Why would SIs want NIs to understand the SI point of view? Why should SIs be fair to NIs?

If NIs ever speak to you in Hindi, say, "I don't speak your language; send me a translation, and I'll try to respond."

Ignore NIs and live your own SI lives. You don't lose anything by not knowing any of them (unless you are a Kinnera).
eh? I see the NI-SI thing only in the discussions on this forum, in a broader sense. I don't see such thing among my friends. I don't care who's who.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Tell me, is the literacy rate of TN (in Tamil) 100 percent? Why is Chennai inadequately supplied with drinking water, electricity, and sewage and garbage disposal services?

If the Governments of TN set right these infrastructural issues, or at the very least, stayed out of the way of hard-working Tamilians, that will raise TN's standard of living, and Indians from every part of India will want to live in TN.

North Indians will then want to learn Tamil, wear the "lungi," and suck in saambaar by the bucket. They'll want to take railway tickets printed exclusively in Tamil back to Jaipur, Indore, and Lucknow, to show off to bhabhi and bhayya.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

eh? I see the NI-SI thing only in the discussions on this forum, in a broader sense. I don't see such thing among my friends. I don't care who's who.
That's not surprising; sycophants have sycophants for friends.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
swapna wrote:

What a bad suggestion? I am on my to home from work for the holidays. On the way I refuse to leave the railway ticket counter until they provide tamil translation. WAit how long? Until Tamil Nadu becomes independent???
For how long? You want numbers? 23 days and 9 hours. People take turns standing in.line and demanding tickets translated into Tamil. You fill in the details. Regardless, stop complaining.

I suppose you're unfamiliar with the notion of making a relatively minor, temporary sacrifice today for a huge, lasting gain in the future.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:

no my statement underscores the obsequious attitude of some tamilians.

most likely these characters were not raised/do not live in thamizh nAdu.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 pm

swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

not everyone is narrow minded like you who'd always be conscious abt the other's caste, creed, religion, language, nativity,etc. Majority of ppl just don't care abt such thing in normal day to day interactions with ppl. fyi, that's a good thing. Your prejudiced mind is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Response to swapna-

>>>> Why is Chennai inadequately supplied with drinking water, electricity, and sewage and garbage disposal services? If the Governments of TN set right these infrastructural issues, or at the very least, stayed out of the way of hard-working Tamilians, that will raise TN's standard of living, and Indians from every part of India will want to live in TN.

Indian finance minister provided the answer a few years ago. Hindi statrs are dragging the Southern states and Maharashtra down because the latter are subsidizing Hindi states. He told this in a frank discussion with US Ambassador thinking it is confidential. But it was revealed in Wiki leaks memos from US governmennt.

The solution is for Tamilnadu to become independent. Having the burden of subsidizing Hindi states removed, Tamil Nadu would have a higher standard of living.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 pm

swapna wrote:
North Indians will then want to learn Tamil, wear the "lungi," and suck in saambaar by the bucket. They'll want to take railway tickets printed exclusively in Tamil back to Jaipur, Indore, and Lucknow, to show off to bhabhi and bhayya.

having your state pride is not enough? the very fact that you want NIs to validate your language, clothes and food mean u secretly believe you are below them.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:57 am

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

not everyone is narrow minded like you who'd always be conscious abt the other's caste, creed, religion, language, nativity,etc. Majority of ppl just don't care abt such thing in normal day to day interactions with ppl. fyi, that's a good thing. Your prejudiced mind is not.
Really? Here's a thread that was started by Dr Ashwin titled "Hindus should have 5 children to prevent becoming a minority -- Singhal":

https://such.forumotion.com/t20765-hindus-should-have-5-children-to-prevent-becoming-minority-singhal#144489

That's Ashok Singhal, a Hindu nationalist, and his idiotic view is being enthusiastically endorsed by another Hindu, Dr Aswin. In the same thread, Uppusaamy GowNDer, yet another Hindu, expresses disappointment that India's fertility rate is a low 2.1 children/woman, and that "the Islamis will produce 10 kids then."

Do you see threads like that started here by Muslims, Christians or Sikhs?

Allowing yourself to be insulted and abused every day by Mummmy Singh, and exploited as Vidya's accomplice to spread her fake divorce story is not broadminded, just naive and masochistic. But it happened only because you wanted to make yourself worthy of the social interaction you craved with North Indians.

How low can a South Indian woman's self-esteem be?

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:20 am

Michelle, why are you spelling Northindian as North Indian? What happened??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:58 am

nevada wrote:Was that written by a meat eating shudra who lacks appreciation for the finer things in life?
is this an obnoxious comment or a failed attempt at Sheldon(big bang theory) type humor?
finer things?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:02 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Michelle, why are you spelling Northindian as North Indian? What happened??
he/she is cleverly misleading handle investigator(s) share-talking Holmes.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:22 am

.We would rather hear a gaana song than waste our time on her.

btw what's a gaana song? doesn't gaana in urdu mean song? so a "gaana song" would be a song song. what is a song song?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:46 am

To me, "gaana" in colloquial tamil usage simply means "sing along songs" genre, usually upbeat songs, the lyrics are about life- a little philosophical mixed with humor ...songs anyone can easily relate to..join in, clap your hands and even dance to!

Mr. Gaana Bala..is popular among contemporary gaana genre singers:

A big hit "Kaasu, Panam, Thuttu, Money, Money"..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpDBEjMFYB4
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:48 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Response to swapna-

>>>> Why is Chennai inadequately supplied with drinking water, electricity, and sewage and garbage disposal services? If the Governments of TN set right these infrastructural issues, or at the very least, stayed out of the way of hard-working Tamilians, that will raise TN's standard of living, and Indians from every part of India will want to live in TN.

Indian finance minister provided the answer a few years ago. Hindi statrs are dragging the Southern states and Maharashtra down because the latter are subsidizing Hindi states. He told this in a frank discussion with US Ambassador thinking it is confidential. But it was revealed in Wiki leaks memos from US governmennt.

The solution is for Tamilnadu to become independent. Having the burden of subsidizing Hindi states removed, Tamil Nadu would have a higher standard of living.
KayalV, there has been no credible movement for the independence of TN from India.

Before a demand for independence can be credible, a democratically elected Tamil Government should raise the standard of living of Tamilians to double that of India without TN.

Talk to me after the people of TN have proved their ability to organize and provide themselves a continuous supply of drinking water, electricity, garbage and sewage disposal services, and have attained a Thamizh literacy rate of 95 percent.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:05 am

Maria S wrote:To me, "gaana" in colloquial tamil usage simply means "sing along songs" genre, usually upbeat songs, the lyrics are about life- a little philosophical mixed with humor ...songs anyone can easily relate to..join in, clap your hands and even dance to!

Mr. Gaana Bala..is popular among contemporary gaana genre singers:

A big hit "Kaasu, Panam, Thuttu, Money, Money"..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpDBEjMFYB4

thanks for that explanation. in all the years i lived in TN, i had never heard that particular usage. this must be an exclusive chennai usage.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:15 am

Conclusion: Rekz is the only true tamilian here.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Tracy

Who is rakz? I did not see any of her posts on this thread.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Phlegmy,
Is there any specific reason why you switched handles from swapna to michelle2 and back to swapna in this thread?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:09 pm

How about Paneer Dosa and Mutton Dosa?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

eh? most tamilians are carnivores or at least omnivores.

http://hindu.com/2006/08/14/stories/2006081403771200.htm

The survey shows that regional location matters more than caste or community. As expected, the lowest proportion of vegetarian families are in coastal States such as Kerala (two per cent), Tamil Nadu (eight per cent), Andhra Pradesh (four per cent), Orissa (eight per cent) and Bengal (three per cent). Most land-locked States, especially in the west and north, are places with the highest proportion of vegetarian families: Rajasthan (63 per cent), Haryana (62 per cent), Punjab (48 per cent), Uttar Pradesh (33 per cent), Madhya Pradesh (35 per cent) and Gujarat (45 per cent).

i really don't believe these statistics. Especially AP's 4 percent. If that is true, it should be difficult to spot a vegetarian restaurant in AP.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:33 pm

B_A
I looked in the mirror and said what was I thinking. 

Max's stats on vegetarianism  are probably close to home. If it is not 4% in AP, it may be 10% if you add other castes such as padma sali and those who do hari katha etc. 

The reason for more vegetarian hotels is more historical than based on population.  In earlier years the customer base was mostly educated brahmin types working in urban areas. The other reason is most of the early hotels were started by brahmins followed by major success with chains like udipi and kamat.  Eating non vegetarian outside home was limited due to relatively more expensive items on the menu. 

AP nonveg consumption at home and outside rose to significant levels more recently (in the last 3 decades).  Now people start restaurants based on customer demand and you find huge number of non veg entities.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:46 am

Phlegmy, do you do the tuck job in keeping with your current female handles when posting on such or chatting or did they drop off already from misuse?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 am

"On food, come on guys, you need to really grow up. We do not eat just idli, sambar, dosa and vadai. We love our thalappakatti biryani, velu military hotel, and karaikudi chettinad restaurants. Next time you visit us, try one of these restaurants and don’t look for a Saravana Bhavan. - See more at: http://www.theweekendleader.com/Opinion/1965/7-things-north-indians-should-know-about-tamils.html#sthash.z32hgGau.dpuf"

>>> It's well-known that more North Indians try the South Indian food (dosa, Idli etc.) than South Indians try the North Indian food (aloo paratha etc.).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down