Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What you’d need to make to afford a decent one-bedroom

3 posters

Go down

What you’d need to make to afford a decent one-bedroom Empty What you’d need to make to afford a decent one-bedroom

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

No single county in America has a one-bedroom housing wage below the federal minimum wage of $7.25 (several counties in Arkansas come in at $7.98).

Coastal and urban counties are among the most expensive. The entire Boston-New York-Washington corridor includes little respite from high housing wages. Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties in California rank as the least affordable in the country. In each of those counties, a one-bedroom hourly housing wage is $29.83, or the equivalent of 3.7 full-time jobs at the actual minimum wage (or an annual salary of about $62,000).

While it suggests that a minimum-wage worker can't afford housing in Seattle (where the one-bedroom housing wage is $17.56 an hour), in reality that person probably finds housing by renting a room in someone else's home, by living in the cheapest part of town, or by working considerably more than 40 hours a week. (Remember George W. Bush's praise for the "uniquely American" story of the single mother of three who worked three jobs in Omaha?).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/04/22/what-youd-need-to-make-in-every-county-in-america-to-afford-a-decent-one-bedroom/?hpid=z5

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

What you’d need to make to afford a decent one-bedroom Empty Re: What you’d need to make to afford a decent one-bedroom

Post by Kris Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:No single county in America has a one-bedroom housing wage below the federal minimum wage of $7.25 (several counties in Arkansas come in at $7.98).

Coastal and urban counties are among the most expensive. The entire Boston-New York-Washington corridor includes little respite from high housing wages. Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties in California rank as the least affordable in the country. In each of those counties, a one-bedroom hourly housing wage is $29.83, or the equivalent of 3.7 full-time jobs at the actual minimum wage (or an annual salary of about $62,000).

While it suggests that a minimum-wage worker can't afford housing in Seattle (where the one-bedroom housing wage is $17.56 an hour), in reality that person probably finds housing by renting a room in someone else's home, by living in the cheapest part of town, or by working considerably more than 40 hours a week. (Remember George W. Bush's praise for the "uniquely American" story of the single mother of three who worked three jobs in Omaha?).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/04/22/what-youd-need-to-make-in-every-county-in-america-to-afford-a-decent-one-bedroom/?hpid=z5

>Ok, I am not sure what the solution is here. Minimum wage in Marin cannot be increased to $62,000. The housing prices/rents are high in certain area because there are people willing to pay them. I am not sure why the solutions above (see bolded section) are bad. These folks have made these choices. In the California areas cited, the same people can move inland by a couple of hours and housing prices/rents drop drastically.  If they have chosen not to do that, why is that a problem for other members of society?

Kris

Back to top Go down

What you’d need to make to afford a decent one-bedroom Empty Re: What you’d need to make to afford a decent one-bedroom

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Kris wrote:
>Ok, I am not sure what the solution is here. Minimum wage in Marin cannot be increased to $62,000. The housing prices/rents are high in certain area because there are people willing to pay them. I am not sure why the solutions above (see bolded section) are bad. These folks have made these choices. In the California areas cited, the same people can move inland by a couple of hours and housing prices/rents drop drastically.  If they have chosen not to do that, why is that a problem for other members of society?
Do you think that is practical, how many minimum wage jobs would be available inland, is public transportation available for them to travel daily to the city (to their work location)?
BTW, if they spend all (or most) of their income on housing, how'd they survive?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Do you think that is practical, how many minimum wage jobs would be available inland, is public transportation available for them to travel daily to the city (work location)?

>>>If they find jobs in the lower rent areas and they are willing to take them, they will move. The people in Marin will face a shortage of this type of labor and the wages will go up till supply and demand coincide. If there are not enough jobs in the low rent areas, they will continue making the compromises they are making now. Yes, many people do commute to the bay area from the outskirts and there is even some public transportation, although maybe not the greatest in the world.  In the case of the bay area, you don't have to go even to the outskirts, if you are willing to compromise on the quality of the housing and neighborhoods. Nevertheless, these are choices people make. I am not sure what the other solution is here. Raising the wage of a movie ticket clerk or a waiter to $62,000 a year is needless to say a business  model that is not worth dignifying with a discussion.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Do you think that is practical, how many minimum wage jobs would be available inland, is public transportation available for them to travel daily to the city (work location)?

>>>If they find jobs in the lower rent areas and they are willing to take them, they will move. The people in Marin will face a shortage of this type of labor and the wages will go up till supply and demand coincide. If there are not enough jobs in the low rent areas, they will continue making the compromises they are making now. Yes, many people do commute to the bay area from the outskirts and there is even some public transportation, although maybe not the greatest in the world.  In the case of the bay area, you don't have to go even to the outskirts, if you are willing to compromise on the quality of the housing and neighborhoods. Nevertheless, these are choices people make. I am not sure what the other solution is here. Raising the wage of a movie ticket clerk or a waiter to $62,000 a year is needless to say a business  model that is not worth dignifying with a discussion.
I don't think that article is suggesting a steep minimum wage hike (to $30/hr). Solution would be somewhere in the middle Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

I don't think that article is suggesting a steep minimum wage hike (to $30/hr). Solution would be somewhere in the middle Smile

And you think this will have no domino effect?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

And you think this will have no domino effect?
Aren't we footing the bill already, in the form of various welfare programs. Wage hike might alleviate the burden on us while forcing the corporations pay decent wages to employees.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/23/investing/buffett-minimum-wage/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down