Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885

5 posters

Go down

India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885  Empty India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885

Post by FluteHolder Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 pm

India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885  Original1

(tamil link)

http://news.vikatan.com/article.php?module=news&aid=27136

Married at the age 9 to a 20 year old man. Husband encourages her to study.

She continues her studies and excels in English.

She is devastated due to death of their son when she is 14. (calcs donot sound right). 

Husband decides send her abroad to study medicine and approaches some charity in US. Charity says she has to convert to X-ianity to get funds for college. She declines and others pay for her studies.

At 19 goes to US for medical degree at PA (Medical College for Women).

At 23 returns to India but due to Cold/food in US she gets TB and dies...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885  Empty Re: India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Inspiring, but sad that she died so young. I read more abt her on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandi_Gopal_Joshi

Back to top Go down

India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885  Empty Re: India's First Woman Doctor - Year 1885

Post by Rishi Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 pm

>> Brave lady.

It is her husband whom we should thank. The man was way ahead and progressive than any other Indian men of that era and many Indian men of the current century.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Rishi wrote:>> Brave lady.

It is her husband whom we should thank. The man was way ahead and progressive than any other Indian men of that era and many Indian men of the current century.

Too bad , these people doesn't belong to Rashmun's favorite "superior" religion in certain respects.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:16 am

You had posted this story almost 1 or 2 years ago. I dug up all the info I can abut that lady - that is how I remember your posting.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 am

he was a wife beater.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

You had posted this story almost 1 or 2 years ago. I dug up all the info I can abut that lady - that is how I remember your posting.
>>>Since FH posted this time, I did not want to embarass him by mentioning that I had already posted this article before.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

he was a wife beater.
>>You are kidding. Right?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down