Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I’m an Army veteran, and my benefits are too generous

2 posters

Go down

I’m an Army veteran, and my benefits are too generous Empty I’m an Army veteran, and my benefits are too generous

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Though I spent more than five years on active duty during the 1970s as an Army infantry officer and an additional 23 years in the Reserves, I never fired a weapon other than in training, and I spent no time in a combat zone. I returned to active duty for five months in 1991 during the Persian Gulf War, but I was assigned to the Pentagon. My hazardous duty consisted of a daily drive on New York Avenue before its upgrade.

I am hardly unique. Despite the extended operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, nearly half of the 4.5 million active-duty service members and reservists over the past decade were never deployed overseas. Among those who were, many never experienced combat.

And yet, the benefits flow lavishly. While on active duty, I received medical care without any premiums or co-pays, a substantial housing allowance, a small stipend for food, and a base salary that by today’s pay scale would be $5,168 a month.

Even though I spent 80 percent of my time in uniform as a reservist, I received an annual pension in 2013 of $24,990, to which I contributed no money while serving. (Reserve retirement pay does not start until you turn 60. For those who remain on active duty for at least 20 years, payments start the month they leave service. Those who enlist at 18, right out of high school, can retire at 38 and receive $26,000 a year for the rest of their lives.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/im-an-army-veteran-and-my-benefits-are-too-generous/2014/06/06/5e8db2ec-eb35-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html?hpid=z4

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

I’m an Army veteran, and my benefits are too generous Empty Re: I’m an Army veteran, and my benefits are too generous

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:24 pm

"The most generous benefit of all is Tricare. This year I paid just $550 for family medical insurance. In the civilian sector, the average family contribution for health care in 2013 was $4,565, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Simply put, I’m getting more than I gave. Tricare for military retirees and their families is so underpriced that it’s more of a gift than a benefit. A fourfold increase in premiums would leave Tricare safely on the side of hearty largesse, yet the Pentagon’s attempts to raise premiums by as little as 10 percent have had shelf lives shorter than ice cubes."

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

I’m an Army veteran, and my benefits are too generous Empty Re: I’m an Army veteran, and my benefits are too generous

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:09 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:"The most generous benefit of all is Tricare. This year I paid just $550 for family medical insurance. In the civilian sector, the average family contribution for health care in 2013 was $4,565, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Simply put, I’m getting more than I gave. Tricare for military retirees and their families is so underpriced that it’s more of a gift than a benefit. A fourfold increase in premiums would leave Tricare safely on the side of hearty largesse, yet the Pentagon’s attempts to raise premiums by as little as 10 percent have had shelf lives shorter than ice cubes."

Military also need to be split into segments. Those who are on the "field" and not "on the field" Of course, they need to define "field" in an airtight manner.

Same thing goes for all federal employees... wouldn't you like to know about the "Pension pension" they get after retiring ? Next to the filthy wall street looters, the govt "servants" are the mst financially secured retirees. So are the City and county employees in most states.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:"The most generous benefit of all is Tricare. This year I paid just $550 for family medical insurance. In the civilian sector, the average family contribution for health care in 2013 was $4,565, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Military also need to be split into segments.  Those who are on the "field" and not "on the field"  Of course, they need to define "field" in an airtight manner.

Same thing goes for all federal employees... wouldn't you like to know about the "Pension pension" they get after retiring ? Next to the filthy wall street looters, the govt "servants" are the mst financially secured retirees.  So are the City and county employees in most states.
That no longer is the case; I believe that's changed in the late '80s or early '90s.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:24 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Military also need to be split into segments.  Those who are on the "field" and not "on the field"  Of course, they need to define "field" in an airtight manner.

Same thing goes for all federal employees... wouldn't you like to know about the "Pension pension" they get after retiring ? Next to the filthy wall street looters, the govt "servants" are the mst financially secured retirees.  So are the City and county employees in most states.
That no longer is the case; I believe that's changed in the late '80s or early '90s.

Not really....some agencies have moved onto 401K savings plan... But, for some long term permanent positions, these still remain on the books.

Also, those who joined a few established companies in the 80s and 90s have both 401K AND pension/pension plans. of course, most are moving away for the new employees while letting go of these 50+ guys on a severance package. This was a surprise for me when I heard about the private companies offering both.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Not really....some agencies have moved onto 401K savings plan... But, for some long term permanent positions, these still remain on the books.
That is nothing compared to the older plan where they could draw as high as 6 figures pensions of course they are not eligible for social security.
Also, those who joined a few established companies in the 80s and 90s have both 401K AND pension/pension plans. of course, most are moving away for the new employees while letting go of these 50+ guys on a severance package. This was a surprise for me when I heard about the private companies offering both.
Some still do offer pension plans.. I believe Lockheed & some co-operatives.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Some still do offer pension plans.. I believe Lockheed & some co-operatives.

May not be true anymore. If you are to join a pvt company today, you are going to be on a 401K plan. Period. Even county and state governments have shelved the pension plans - after California debacle.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down