Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

phunny story

+2
swapna
seven
6 posters

Go down

phunny story Empty phunny story

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Got reminded of an old incidence from college time. we were in second year, and it was the first day in one of the labs. the professor was late, the students were noisy, and there was one very harried young assitant professor there, who pretty much no one cared about. He was from our department but he had never taken any of our classes until then.

So anyway, he decided that to get the class in control he will have to exert some authority. So he began picking students and yelling at them. Our group was the first one he came to. Out of all the students, he picked me. Now remember, this was an engg. college. We were very very few girls there. In that group, I think we were just 2 girls (or maybe just me) and about 6-7 boys. It would usually be highly unlikely any prof picked on a girl, but anyway, in our case he did.

AP: you! look here!!!

me: (stern attention), yes sir.

AP: What is going on here? What is your name?

me: (meekly) Beatrix...  

AP: BEATRIX KIDDO, do not loiter around. Find a seat and sit there quietly till sir comes.

And I guess then he realized his mistake, so he turned around and left as abruptly as he had come. I was too stunned to notice that he yelled my full name when I had given only first name, but my classmates repeated this exchange a lot that day. One of the many ones that gave them a chance to pull my leg, lol.

Back to top Go down

phunny story Empty Re: phunny story

Post by seven Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 pm

So some undercover handle used a full name (or complete info about Sth) when only half of it was given to them ?
I'm sorry I did t understand your story. So he called you by your full name. So ?
What reminded you of the incident ?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 pm

seven wrote:So some undercover handle used a full name (or complete info about Sth) when only half of it was given to them ?
I'm sorry I did t understand your story. So he called you by your full name. So ?
What reminded you of the incident ?

undercover handle? this is a story from my college, 20 years ago. got reminded coz on my group chat someone mentioned another weird story of me from back then. (there are many of them)

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Got reminded of an old incidence from college time. we were in second year, and it was the first day in one of the labs. the professor was late, the students were noisy, and there was one very harried young assitant professor there, who pretty much no one cared about. He was from our department but he had never taken any of our classes until then.

So anyway, he decided that to get the class in control he will have to exert some authority. So he began picking students and yelling at them. Our group was the first one he came to. Out of all the students, he picked me. Now remember, this was an engg. college. We were very very few girls there. In that group, I think we were just 2 girls (or maybe just me) and about 6-7 boys. It would usually be highly unlikely any prof picked on a girl, but anyway, in our case he did.

AP: BEATRIX KIDDO, do not loiter around. Find a seat and sit there quietly till sir comes.

And I guess then he realized his mistake, so he turned around and left as abruptly as he had come. I was too stunned to notice that he yelled my full name when I had given only first name, but my classmates repeated this exchange a lot that day. One of the many ones that gave them a chance to pull my leg, lol.
"Incident," not "Incidence."

Why would the assistant professor have taken any of your classes? Was he still a student?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Do you think that your story is "bhenkatrao-phunny," as in "bhenkatrao, bhenkatrao, bhy are you bhandering in the bherandah like a bhagabond?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 pm

swapna wrote:

Why would the assistant professor have taken any of your classes? Was he still a student?

Memory fails me on the correct title. Calling him assistant professor just coz he was very new there and not our main teacher. Must be his second semester in. Must be in his early/mid 20s. He never took any of our classes in any capacity, and now that I think of it, this could be a lab from a different department.

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Got reminded of an old incidence from college time. we were in second year, and it was the first day in one of the labs. the professor was late, the students were noisy, and there was one very harried young assitant professor there, who pretty much no one cared about. He was from our department but he had never taken any of our classes until then.

Is your last name very common among northindians ?

VenkatRao Utthine

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:26 pm

b_A wrote:

VenkatRao Utthine

scratch 

you mean he added some random northindian last name and it turned out to be mine?

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
b_A wrote:

VenkatRao Utthine

scratch 

you mean he added some random northindian last name and it turned out to be mine?
maybe. depends on how popular your last name is.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm

b_A wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
b_A wrote:

VenkatRao Utthine

scratch 

maybe. depends on how popular your last name is.

LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:53 pm

maybe he read the names of students and when he found out the first name he remembered the full name from the attendance register.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 pm

seven wrote:maybe he read the names of students and when he found out the first name he remembered the full name from the attendance register.
Uff ! you are making her upset now. BK is hinting that she was so popular in college that all the teachers and students knew all the details about her.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 pm

seven wrote:maybe he read the names of students and when he found out the first name he remembered the full name from the attendance register.

lol don't think so. The timing was too fast. If he was figuring out my name from some register he read earlier, he would have taken a moment to respond to me. I spoke too slow and he spoke too fast. He had his next sentence ready before I could really finish saying my name. He was probably just expecting me to say my full name before he blurted it out, and he was probably nervous facing a bunch of students. And then fact that he turned abruptly and left. Totally suggests he knew my name beforehand, and was simply pretending not to know it but didn't do a complete job of pretending. There was no real reason to single me out in the first place too coz I was simply standing there with my classmates, wasn't standing out in anyway as far as the chaos is concerned. Anyway, this gave a chance for my friends to chuckle and reenact the scene that day.

PS: your reasoning is so much more rational and possible than the other idiot handle. No idea where he pulled out that theory from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 pm

b_A wrote:
Uff ! you are making her upset now. BK is hinting that she was so popular in college that all the teachers and students knew all the details about her.

hinting? i don't hint dude, that's your forte. i have said it out and loud and often. what do u expect in a college having under 10% girl population. every girl is popular.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:15 pm

b_A wrote:
ohhh kay! that was the point of story. i was distracted. kept waiting for the funny part. a punch line. something. then the story ended and i was like maybe its funny bcz someone in undercover id slipped. blew the cover by showing they know more than they are supposed to and that's why its funny. 

what the lol

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 pm

seven wrote:
b_A wrote:
ohhh kay! that was the point of story. i was distracted. kept waiting for the funny part. a punch line. something. then the story ended and i was like maybe its funny bcz someone in undercover id slipped. blew the cover by showing they know more than they are supposed to and that's why its funny. 

what the lol

ya well, doesn't need to be undercover handle i guess. for the students it was funny that the teachers gossip too, and to catch it red handed.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
seven wrote:
b_A wrote:

what the lol

ya well, doesn't need to be undercover handle i guess. for the students it was funny that the teachers gossip too, and to catch it red handed.
oh i see it now. didnt understand it at first bcz i was distracted.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
swapna wrote:

Memory fails me on the correct title. Calling him assistant professor just coz he was very new there and not our main teacher. Must be his second semester in. Must be in his early/mid 20s. He never took any of our classes in any capacity, and now that I think of it, this could be a lab from a different department.
to take a course means to enroll oneself in a course and attend it. it does not mean to be the instructor for the course. assistant professors, don't usually take courses.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 pm

swapna wrote:

My dear Swapiee...this is the effect of forgetting your roots and Indianess...which is not surprising....

In India a Professor "takes" a class for the students.

In US the Students "take" a professor's class.

P.S. This you will not find in any of your Queens dictionary.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
swapna wrote:

My dear Swapiee...this is the effect of forgetting your roots and Indianess...which is not surprising....

phlegmy's indian? he's a syrian christian malayalee

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
b_A wrote:

hinting? i don't hint dude, that's your forte. i have said it out and loud and often. what do u expect in a college having under 10% girl population. every girl is popular.
Even the ones that looked like UmaDeviKhatri ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:14 am

b_A wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
b_A wrote:

Even the ones that looked like UmaDeviKhatri ?

ya well in a big campus in early 90s india, half the size of tuntun is the max you got, and yes they would be popular too, just given unflattering nicknames.

btw, am so glad you 'hinted' uma devi khatri. You used to send me notes asking me personal info/gossip (which I didn't tell you of course), and then you said things like, 'I have heard you look like Leena Chandawarkar or (some other actress, Yogita Bali?), so which one do you look like'. And I had replied something like 'Why don't you ask the same sources who I looked like'. Later when I questioned some of your logic on such, you sent me a note saying that Petri told you that I didn't look like Leena, I looked like UDK. So I replied saying Petri is right. Ever since then you have been acting weird. I didn't know you hated fat people so much.

So anyway, when my friends began questioning 'why is b_a fighting with you so much, what's the background/history between you two', that's the only story I had. Now that you mentioned the name yourself, I now hope they will believe I was telling the truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:12 am

swapna wrote:

uppu auntTy, 

in the u.s., students take a professor's class; in india also, students take a professor's class, but our behenji doesn't know that.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:17 am

michelle2 wrote:
swapna wrote:

uppu auntTy, 

in the u.s., students take a professor's class; in india also, students take a professor's class, but our behenji doesn't know that.

This behenji (why am I demoted from aunty) does Hindi-to-English translations in her excitement. "class le li" -> "took the class"... etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down