Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

would you like to live in a place like this?

5 posters

Go down

would you like to live in a place like this? Empty would you like to live in a place like this?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/indian-senior-community-part-growing-niche-090434012.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

would you like to live in a place like this? Empty Re: would you like to live in a place like this?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 pm

I would, though there's no need for me to move to florida. the suburbs in atl are great and the weather is perfect. But if such a community exists in atl, i'd downsize and move there and convince my friends to join us.

Back to top Go down

would you like to live in a place like this? Empty Re: would you like to live in a place like this?

Post by Kris Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Kinnera wrote:I would, though there's no need for me to move to florida. the suburbs in atl are great and the weather is perfect. But if such a community exists in atl, i'd downsize and move there and convince my friends to join us.

>>>I would like to retire to a simple rural life, a village if you will; preferably one named La Jolla. All kidding aside, I saw something like this advertised in the Bay Area. Not for me.. hanging around those seniors will drive me up the wall. I don't want to look inward. I plan on just going to India a couple of months a year, but otherwise it will be status quo. This contemplation of life thing is vastly overrated. It is just that period of time between birth and death anyway. What the hell else is there to contemplate?Smile Bring on the pizza and the booze, turn on the TV. Let's go. It's worked so far. Why can't it work for the next 40 years?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

so we can have live NI/SI & Hindi fights while bhangra-ing Smile I've heard of this place before, it is popular among Indians.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:so we can have live NI/SI & Hindi fights while bhangra-ing Smile I've heard of this place before, it is popular among Indians.

>>>That settles it. NFW.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Kris wrote:
>>>I would like to retire to a simple rural life, a village if you will; preferably one named La Jolla. All kidding aside, I saw something like this advertised in the Bay Area. Not for me.. hanging around those seniors will drive me up the wall. I don't want to look inward. I plan on just going to India a couple of months a year, but otherwise it will be status quo.  This contemplation of life thing is vastly overrated. It is just that period of time between birth and death anyway. What the hell else is there to contemplate?Smile Bring on the pizza and the booze, turn on the TV. Let's go. It's worked so far. Why can't it work for the next 40 years?

you will be one of those seniors too Smile

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
>>>I would like to retire to a simple rural life, a village if you will; preferably one named La Jolla. All kidding aside, I saw something like this advertised in the Bay Area. Not for me.. hanging around those seniors will drive me up the wall. I don't want to look inward. I plan on just going to India a couple of months a year, but otherwise it will be status quo.  This contemplation of life thing is vastly overrated. It is just that period of time between birth and death anyway. What the hell else is there to contemplate?Smile Bring on the pizza and the booze, turn on the TV. Let's go. It's worked so far. Why can't it work for the next 40 years?

>>>No. Have you seen those ads? Smile There is also the added fear of Uppili showing up to hit on the spinsters, who would have relaxed their criteria significantly by then. No, not happening.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:so we can have live NI/SI & Hindi fights while bhangra-ing Smile I've heard of this place before, it is popular among Indians.

>>>That settles it. NFW.

C'mon it won't be that bad. Rashmun will be waiting in puja room with a volume of mughal history books, and some artifacts depicting hindi popularity in Chennai. Uppili starts his day showing his love for Islam, shouting allah ho akbar @ 5 am on the dot.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>That settles it. NFW.

C'mon it won't be that bad. Rashmun will be waiting in puja room with a volume of mughal history books, and some artifacts depicting hindi popularity in Chennai. Uppili starts his day showing his love for Islam, shouting allah ho akbar @ 5 am on the dot.

>>A hobson's choice-- SUCH inside the compound, Sunnyvale outside. Story of my life..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>No. Have you seen those ads? Smile There is also the added fear of Uppili showing up to hit on the spinsters, who would have relaxed their criteria significantly by then. No, not happening.

i haven't seen them - what sort of mamis and mamas are there at these places? my desire is that i be gone by the time i reach a stage when i can't live a full life on my own. once my kids are on their own i consider my evolutionary function completed and will be ready to depart. sadhguru has changed my view of everything.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 pm

bw wrote: once my kids are on their own i consider my evolutionary function completed and will be ready to depart.

i am with you on this. i only ask that i have some fifteen or so years after the kids are on their own where i can ride my bike whenever i want and for however long i want without thinking about meetings, deadlines, or people who depend on me for their paycheck. after that i am good to go. this retirement home thingy is scary.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:19 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

i haven't seen them - what sort of mamis and mamas are there at these places? my desire is that i am gone by the time i reach a stage where i can't live a full life on my own. once my kids are on their own i consider my evolutionary function completed and will be ready to depart. sadhguru has changed my view of everything.

>>>WTH are you talking about? I want to see you beat the U man with a stick when you are 123 1/2, an opportunity you missed when you were 23 1/2. In all seriousness, I find these places depressing. The commercials I have seen show a bunch of old women bouncing big plastic balls and doing some basic exercises guided by women who themselves seem like they are well past their prime and there are some puja gigs. I am being extra nice to the boys these days so they will keep me in the style I am used to, after my 201k funds evaporate.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

i haven't seen them - what sort of mamis and mamas are there at these places? my desire is that i am gone by the time i reach a stage where i can't live a full life on my own. once my kids are on their own i consider my evolutionary function completed and will be ready to depart. sadhguru has changed my view of everything.

>>>WTH are you talking about? I want to see you beat the U man with a stick when you are 123 1/2, an opportunity you missed when you were 23 1/2. In all seriousness, I find these places depressing. The commercials I have seen show a bunch of old women bouncing big plastic balls and doing some basic exercises guided by women who themselves seem like they are well past their prime and there are some puja gigs. I am being extra nice to the boys these days so they will keep me in the style I am used to, after my 201k funds evaporate.

after i saw what some old people go through and how they are seen as a burden and a "problem" by their own children, i actually wish that people die at a reasonable age and not endure this misery. it is all very depressing especially since they are/were conditioned to thinking that children will take care of them. i have no such expectations from my kids but always remind them that they will have a crazy, cranky mom living with them Razz

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:51 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:

after i saw what some old people go through and how they are seen as a burden and a "problem" by their own children, i actually wish that people die at a reasonable age and not endure this misery. it is all very depressing especially since they are/were conditioned to thinking that children will take care of them. i have no such expectations from my kids but always remind them that they will have a crazy, cranky mom living with them Razz
*Sadhguru mode on*

Do not go gentle into that good night,  Old age should burn and rave at close of day
Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote: once my kids are on their own i consider my evolutionary function completed and will be ready to depart.

i am with you on this. i only ask that i have some fifteen or so years after the kids are on their own where i can ride my bike whenever i want and for however long i want without thinking about meetings, deadlines, or people who depend on me for their paycheck. after that i am good to go. this retirement home thingy is scary.

Then first stop cycling....it only prolongs your life...do what I do and become like me...a real big 203 pounder....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:10 pm

Kris wrote:
*Sadhguru mode on*

Do not go gentle into that good night,  Old age should burn and rave at close of day
Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas

oh, time to post my favourite poem on this topic

----------------------------------------
On Living                

I
Living is no laughing matter:
you must live with great seriousness
like a squirrel, for example—
I mean without looking for something beyond and above living
I mean living must be your whole occupation.

Living is no laughing matter:
you must take it seriously,
so much so and to such a degree
that, for example, your hands tied behind your back,
your back to the wall,
or else in a laboratory,
in your white coat and safety glasses,
you can die for people—
even for people whose faces you've never seen,
even though you know living
is the most real, the most beautiful thing.
I mean, you must take living so seriously
that even at seventy, for example, you'll plant olive trees
and not for your children, either,
but because although you fear death you don't believe it,
because living, I mean, weighs heavier.   
                    II
Let's say we're seriously ill, need surgery—
which is to say we might not get up
from the white table.
Even though it's impossible not to feel sad
about going a little too soon,
we'll still laugh at the jokes being told,
we'll look out the window to see if it's raining,
or still wait anxiously
for the latest newscast. . .
Let's say we're at the front—
for something worth fighting for, say.
There, in the first offensive, on that very day,
we might fall on our face, dead.
We'll know this with a curious anger,
but we'll still worry ourselves to death
about the outcome of the war, which could last years.
Let's say we're in prison
and close to fifty,
and we have eighteen more years, say,
before the iron doors will open.
We'll still live with the outside,
with its people and animals, struggle and wind
I mean with the outside beyond the walls.
I mean, however and wherever we are,
we must live as if we will never die.
                    III
This earth will grow cold,
a star among stars
and one of the smallest,
a gilded mote on blue velvet—
I mean this, our great earth.
This earth will grow cold one day,
not like a block of ice
or a dead cloud even
but like an empty walnut it will roll along
in pitch black space. . .
You must grieve for this right now
—you have to feel this sorrow now—
for the world must be loved this much
f you're going to say "I lived". . .

Nazim Hikmet
trans. by Randy Blasing & Mutlu Konuk

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/indian-senior-community-part-growing-niche-090434012.html

Some of my retired relatives moved into such a community called Astha in rajasthan. They were temporarily living in a rental flat in the same city before that as they were planning to move out of the country with their kids. But coz of health reasons of the husband, their immigration was not approved. So he bought this condo hoping that in case the wife can't move with the kids after he is gone, atleast she will have the support of such a community. They were quite happy there, lived about a year or two, made friends and had a decent social life both inside and outside that community as they were locals there for decades. When the husband passed away, the kids moved in the mom with them. Not sure what they did with the place.

What's the usual age range of such places? I have a mixed bag of genes when it comes to health and death. Some got sudden cardiac arrests and went kaput within minutes, after walking, talking, working, playing that day, and no troubling med history. While others got a wide range of things, and are reaching 80 +- 5, with varying degree of quality of life. All have been lucky enough so far to have an offspring caring for them and others pitching in when they can. Anyway, not sure which kind of genes I have got. Will find out within next 10 years whether I get hit by diabetes or not, and will take it from there.

We liked living with people our own age back in college/dorm, so should be fine living with oldies our age later too. However, not sure if the fascination was of same age or youth back then. Will find out lol.

Moving to India for this doesn't seem likely as of now, can't fathom moving out of NJ itself as of now, lekin let's see. If I live long enough, I would like to live in a senior friendly comfortable township, close enough to kids, most likely with XH *groan*.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down