Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dhoti (Veshti) ban now a cognizable offense

+4
nevada
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
8 posters

Go down

Dhoti (Veshti) ban now a cognizable offense Empty Dhoti (Veshti) ban now a cognizable offense

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:21 am

I think there should be a "Veshti Naal" in every week

For the sake of Hindians:

"Ek din ka Dhoti chalo ki oppice hai"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Dhoti (Veshti) ban now a cognizable offense Empty Re: Dhoti (Veshti) ban now a cognizable offense

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 am

nobody wears dhotis in TN.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Dhoti (Veshti) ban now a cognizable offense Empty Re: Dhoti (Veshti) ban now a cognizable offense

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 am

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/et-magazine/cocktail-conversations-veshti-vs-dhoti/articleshow/8324642.cms
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:nobody wears dhotis in TN.

That is not the point. If one wants to wear, that should not be banned.

I wear dhoti (wonly) whenever I go to India during summer...I can write a book on the expressions and experiences. Even my own FIL and wifey did not want me to wear Dhoti I went with them - but I refused to budge (I was not on official business and was not trying to impress anyone with pant/shirt - It was just one of convenience in that hot summer)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Nobody?

How abt this?: A bill seeking to remove the ban on wearing dhoti and other Indian traditional attire imposed by recreational clubs and others was on Wednesday passed by the Tamil Nadu Assembly.

The other indian traditional attire includes lungies/veshties, etc. Will it concern you now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Really ? when was the last time you went to a Temple in madras? When was the last time you went 50 km outside city boundaries? Can you say that farmers and villagers wear pants ? Can you say no non-metro guy enters the cities? Can you say all of them wear pants before comiing to cities?

So many questions waiting for your answers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Doesn't Chidambaram wear a Veshti? Was he ever stopped from entering any star hotels, exclusive clubs etc?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Really ? when was the last time you went to a Temple in madras?   When was the last time you went 50 km outside city boundaries?  Can you say that farmers and villagers wear pants ?  Can you say no non-metro guy enters the cities? Can you say all of them wear pants before comiing to cities?

tubelight saamiyar.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:51 pm

bw wrote:

Really ? when was the last time you went to a Temple in madras?   When was the last time you went 50 km outside city boundaries?  Can you say that farmers and villagers wear pants ?  Can you say no non-metro guy enters the cities? Can you say all of them wear pants before comiing to cities?

tubelight saamiyar.

(I know what he was "meaning".. he was saying no one speaks Tamil in TN.)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 pm

bw wrote:

tubelight saamiyar.

(I know what he was "meaning".. he was saying no one speaks Tamil in TN.)

he meant that no one eats 'dosa' in TN.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 pm

bw wrote:

tubelight saamiyar.

he recently received orders from HQ in nagpur and ratified by the PMO that the vEshti shall be banished in favor of the dhoti and that kerala will henceforth be referred to as keral.

i don't know why the english language dailies stubbornly refuse to use the word vEshtis. assholes the whole lot of them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

tubelight saamiyar.

he recently received orders from HQ in nagpur and ratified by the PMO that the vEshti shall be banished in favor of the dhoti and that kerala will henceforth be referred to as keral.

i don't know why the english language dailies stubbornly refuse to use the word vEshtis. assholes the whole lot of them.

is there an english word for veshti? else they have use "mundu" when talking about malayalees, veshti when talking about tamilians, dhoti when referring to the hindi speakers and so on.

much ado about nothing. the only solution is to come up with an english word for this raiment.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 pm

'dhoti' is sanskrit i guess. folks in my family use "dhoti" and "veshti".

"dhoti udithikko".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 pm

vEshti is sanskritic in origin. think vest and vestment (english and latin).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:vEshti is sanskritic in origin. think vest and vestment (english and latin).

...and dhoti isn't?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:vEshti is sanskritic in origin. think vest and vestment (english and latin).

...and dhoti isn't?

i don't know. could be. but this thread and the original article is about a law passed in TN. it's like a food writer writing about kadhi but referring to the thing in the article consistently as moar kuzhambu throughout.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:12 pm

nevada wrote:Doesn't Chidambaram wear a Veshti? Was he ever stopped from entering any star hotels, exclusive clubs etc?

I don't think he goes to "exclusive" clubs. ]

The guy who was stopped at the cricket club was a judge.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

...and dhoti isn't?

i don't know. could be. but this thread and the original article is about a law passed in TN. it's like a food writer writing about kadhi but referring to the thing in the article consistently as moar kuzhambu throughout.

if shorts are banned in TN, the writer should refer to it as whatever the tamil term for it? (what is it anyway!) since there isn't an english equivalent for dhoti/veshti etc, and dhoti has been the standard usage, i don't see anything terrible. it's just what's in usage. veshti isn't a tamil word either so why not use a word that most people understand?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:23 pm

on another note, kadhi and mor kozhambu aren't made of the same ingredients and it is plain wrong to use one for another. no chickpea flour in mor kozhambu and no coconut in kadhi.

are you saying that dhoti is more the panchagajam style of wearing and not the wraparound that the veshti is? that has some merit.

Last edited by bw on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:23 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

...and dhoti isn't?

if shorts are banned in TN, the writer should refer to it as whatever the tamil term for it? (what is it anyway!) since there isn't an english equivalent for dhoti/veshti etc, and dhoti has been the standard usage, i don't see anything terrible. it's just what's in usage. veshti isn't a tamil word either so why not use a word that most people understand?

vEshti is very much a tamil word. i was just explaining its etymology. nobody in my family except possibly the transplants to delhi say dhoti. btw, dhoti isn't an english word either.

the real curiosity is uppili's acceptance of the word.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 pm

the shorts analogy doesn't work. i'll let you figure it out.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

...and dhoti isn't?

vEshti is very much a tamil word. i was just explaining its etymology. nobody in my family except possibly the transplants to delhi say dhoti. btw, dhoti isn't an english word either.

the real curiosity is uppili's acceptance of the word.

we need an english word, in that case.

modiji says, uppili does.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the shorts analogy doesn't work. i'll let you figure it out.

what is the english word for veshti?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 pm

bw wrote:on another note, kadhi and mor kozhambu aren't made of the same ingredients and it is plain wrong to use one for another. no chickpea flour in mor kozhambu and no coconut in kadhi.

are you saying that dhoti is more the panchagajam style of wearing that not the wraparound that the veshti is? that has some merit.

yes you got it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:28 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the shorts analogy doesn't work. i'll let you figure it out.

what is the english word for veshti?

there isn't one just like there isn't one for idlis or moLaga vaththal. you could say dried red chillies. in that sense you could say white wrap around worn by men.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:on another note, kadhi and mor kozhambu aren't made of the same ingredients and it is plain wrong to use one for another. no chickpea flour in mor kozhambu and no coconut in kadhi.

are you saying that dhoti is more the panchagajam style of wearing that not the wraparound that the veshti is? that has some merit.

yes you got it.

okay, if you are referring to the accuracy of the term with respect to the style of wearing the garment, i understand. if it just a dosa/dosai thing, it is much ado about nothing.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 pm

veshti is a distorted form of the Tamil word "vetti", vetti comes from the Tamil word vettu (cut).

The word "thuNdu" (a small piece of cloth farmers and other village workers put on their shoulder comes from  *thuNiththal" (means cut). The word "thuNi" (cloth) also comes from *thuNiththal" (means cut).

vettu (verb) to veeti (noun) is like from uN (eat) to uuN (meal)

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:31 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:veshti is a distorted form of the Tamil word "vetti", vetti comes from the Tamil word vettu (cut).

The word "thuNdu" (a small piece of cloth farmers and other village workers put on their shoulder comes from  *thuNiththal" (means cut). The word "thuNi" (cloth) also comes from *thuNiththal" (means cut).

*groan*

did we not go through this already? start some new topic please.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:veshti is a distorted form of the Tamil word "vetti", vetti comes from the Tamil word vettu (cut).

we disagree on vEshti's etymology. i have no problems with thuNdu.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:34 pm

bw wrote:

*groan*

did we not go through this already? start some new topic please.

i just like arguing with myself. don't mind me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

we disagree on vEshti's etymology. i have no problems with thuNdu.
Is thuNdu same as towel? In Telugu, we call the local towels thundu gudda. Also, as vizhi writes, the cloth that farmers put on their shoulders is called thundu in Telugu.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 pm

A towel can be used as thundu but thundu is not necessarily a towel.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 am

bw wrote:'dhoti' is sanskrit i guess. folks in my family use "dhoti" and "veshti".

"dhoti udithikko".

We say "vEtti kattikidunga"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:30 am

bw wrote:'dhoti' is sanskrit i guess. folks in my family use "dhoti" and "veshti".

"dhoti udithikko".

buruda master, check PM. of course, i hope that you won't report me to rashmun for sending you unwelcome PMs.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:42 pm

>>>If CBSE schools adopt that policy, I am against it. Also, since it has some Sanskrit connection, there is a petition going around that the garment be banned altogether in TN.  Lungi may be okay, but I will have to see if that has Sanskrit roots. If yes, you know the next step. Stay tuned.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:49 pm

bw wrote:

"dhoti udithikko".

buruda master
, check PM. of course, i hope that you won't report me to rashmun for sending you unwelcome PMs.

Can you translate it in Thamizh?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:52 pm

bw wrote:

"dhoti udithikko".

buruda master, check PM. of course, i hope that you won't report me to rashmun for sending you unwelcome PMs.

I dont want you to send any of your "PMs" to me. You are welcome to send a PM "in-between" your PMs.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 pm

bw wrote:

"dhoti udithikko".

I dont want you to send any of your "PMs" to me. You are welcome to send a PM "in-between" your PMs.

yuck! what's with this adolescent talk?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>If CBSE schools adopt that policy, I am against it. Also, since it has some Sanskrit connection, there is a petition going around that the garment be banned altogether in TN.  Lungi may be okay, but I will have to see if that has Sanskrit roots. If yes, you know the next step. Stay tuned.
Craziness to the max! Obsession and craziness. I hope it doesn't lead all the way to self destruction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:13 pm

bw wrote:
bw wrote:

"dhoti udithikko".

yuck! what's with this adolescent talk?

Whattt? you expect men to be sensitive and understanding of women's problems but dont want them even to mention it ? This should be freely discussed in schools as part of sex education.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:13 am

bw wrote:
Whattt?  you expect men to be sensitive and understanding of women's problems but dont want them even to mention it ?  This should be freely discussed in schools as part of sex education.

i don't. i find it rather sexist and crude to mention such things for no rhyme or reason. i know that women like to milk it as well as an excuse for grumpiness but i am not really a subscriber of that.

yucky ...yes....nobig deal?....that too...

funny....what is ok for me is also not ok for me... half the time I can talk freely about PMS and half the time I cannot......life indeed is strange ...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down