What are you drinking right now?

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by charvaka on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
charvaka wrote:So where in the US are you? (I am assuming you haven't taken to drinking on Tuesday mornings yet...)
I am drinking a Pinot tonight from the Santa Lucia mountains.

In NYC tonight and tomm. Was in Boston over the weekend. I love Pinot - haven't had any for a while now. Will pick up a couple of bottles at the dutyfree on the way back.
This one's pretty good -- Talbott. Also like Mark West and Foley... 2009 vintages get high marks.

charvaka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 pm

I want to get drunk once. For some reason, I never do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 pm

kinnera wrote:how much alcohol does it take for you guys to 'get drunk'? For eg, how many cocktail glasses of cosmopolitan?

>>>> More so than the number of drinks, it happened when I drank different types of booze on the same day. Learned my lesson very early on this. As far as the number of drinks go, I pretty much never go over three now -usually its red wine (cabs/merlots). Occasionally, it is margaritas with mex food.

Kris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 pm

kinnera wrote:I want to get drunk once. For some reason, I never do.
It's fine to get really drunk when you are under 30. Excessive drinking once you are older than 30 has bad consequences the next morning.

charvaka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Over three to get drunk. hmm. I'm just curious to know how it feels, how I behave and what I say when I get drunk. I never did even once in my life. Dad has a lot of resistance. They say I got his genes on that. I don't know.

I also want to try cigarettes once. Never did. When I mention it to my colleagues, they're like, 'don't even think abt it. It's so easy to get addicted'. Once is enough, etc, etc'. It's one of the things I want to do before I die.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:03 pm

charvaka wrote:
kinnera wrote:I want to get drunk once. For some reason, I never do.
It's fine to get really drunk when you are under 30. Excessive drinking once you are older than 30 has bad consequences the next morning.

Too late now, huh? Sad. I've been trying. i never succeeded. Maybe I didn't muster up the courage to try harder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Where are you based? Next visit, we'll book a couple of rooms and organize a party for CHers in the city to come over and get totally wasted.

Merlot Daruwala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Atl. I'm game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:46 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:New year's eve 2001: Total, rip-roaring, piss-in-ur-pants drunk on a full bottle of Bacardi.

Jan 1, 2001: Mother of all hangovers

Never again.

you mean all 750 ml of white rum? if i ever did that, i would have to be shifted to hospital for alcohol poisoning.

when i was in Goa, i once had Honey Bee (imbecile drink) and then beer. i was totally drunk. and only a year before that, i had several pegs of Blue Riband and puked my guts out until 4 PM the next day. two worst drinking sessions of my life.

Another Brick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:05 am

The scary part was I had absolutely no recollection of how the night ended. Worse still, there was a scary red spot in the white of my right eye - I was convinced I was about to lose my eyesight!

Surprisingly, I've never puked from drinking. Ever.

Merlot Daruwala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Surprisingly, I've never puked from drinking. Ever.

interesting. i know someone like that in real life.

Another Brick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 am

kinnera wrote:Over three to get drunk. hmm. I'm just curious to know how it feels, how I behave and what I say when I get drunk......
I also want to try cigarettes once. Never did. When I mention it to my colleagues, they're like, 'don't even think abt it. It's so easy to get addicted'. Once is enough, etc, etc'. It's one of the things I want to do before I die.

>>>> No, not over three to get drunk, but maybe a buzz- more so than I like. I tried cigarettes briefly, didn't care for it.

Kris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 am

Kris wrote:
kinnera wrote:how much alcohol does it take for you guys to 'get drunk'? For eg, how many cocktail glasses of cosmopolitan?

>>>> More so than the number of drinks, it happened when I drank different types of booze on the same day. Learned my lesson very early on this. As far as the number of drinks go, I pretty much never go over three now -usually its red wine (cabs/merlots). Occasionally, it is margaritas with mex food.

agree, the four times that I got drunk drunk (k, 3 times drunk, one time smashed), it was from a mix of drinks... vodka + wine... vodka + tequila shots (peer pressure from colleagues) .... as long as I keep it one type of drink, I am fine. And the moment I feel the buzz, after 5-10 minutes, I start diluting it with almost equal number of glasses of water... and then I don't change the venue or drink.

Having said that, kinnera, I try *not* to get smashed drunk, and would never want to either. I act silly. If outdoors, you have to make ur way home, and at home, who wants to get smashed anyway. I get real loud and talkative in just a little buzz, and I talk endless nonsense, make nonveg jokes, and I walk crazy. And after a while, am sleepy. Luckily, have never puked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

Having said that, kinnera, I try *not* to get smashed drunk, and would never want to either. I act silly. If outdoors, you have to make ur way home, and at home, who wants to get smashed anyway. I get real loud and talkative in just a little buzz, and I talk endless nonsense, make nonveg jokes, and I walk crazy. And after a while, am sleepy. Luckily, have never puked.

You talk more than your talkative self when you get drunk? LOL! See..I am curious to know how I behave when I get smashed drunk. A friend of mine who gets drunk pretty easily goes on a crying spree. The unstoppable crying about her husband not loving her as much as she loves him, he not caring abt her as much as she cares abt him goes on and on inspite of her husband and everyone else around cajoling her and trying to convince her that he too loves her like crazy and cares a hell lot abt her, etc. I'm sure her husband must be might pleased with her when she's drunk.

I hope my calm, demure self won't go on a cursing spree when I'm drunk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:18 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:23 am

what's with people and their wishes to get drunk and smoke? how difficult is it to do those things? just bring a bottle and empty it in about an hour. if you want to smoke, go to the convenience store and buy a pack and light one. why so much drama?

free tip of the day - fastu on a saturday and bring home a bottle of 100 proof red rum and a large can of beer. mix rum with coke/pepsi and drink. then drink some beer. don't eat anything. repeat the act. get drunk. haffun.

Another Brick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:51 am

kinnera wrote:I'm sure her husband must be might pleased with her when she's drunk.

Ugh. How could any husband stand -- leave alone enjoy -- such tawdry drama?? If he has an ounce of sense, that fellow will padlock his bar and prohibit friends from ever offering liquor to that woman.
kinnera wrote:I hope my calm, demure self won't go on a cursing spree when I'm drunk.

Calm? Demure?? What the who??

Merlot Daruwala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 am

Another Brick wrote:what's with people and their wishes to get drunk and smoke? how difficult is it to do those things? just bring a bottle and empty it in about an hour. if you want to smoke, go to the convenience store and buy a pack and light one. why so much drama?

free tip of the day - fastu on a saturday and bring home a bottle of 100 proof red rum and a large can of beer. mix rum with coke/pepsi and drink. then drink some beer. don't eat anything. repeat the act. get drunk. haffun.

this is why this forum is full of stud muffins and hipster rockstars.

Impedimenta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:25 am

Impedimenta wrote:

this is why this forum is full of stud muffins and hipster rockstars.
I am still in awe and shock.

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:34 pm

i think the sight of a drunk 30+ person is quite disgusting. i can't stand drunk people and older drunk people ought to be slapped senseless. don't think i've ever gotten drunk after i turned 25. i hate losing control.

MaxEntropy_Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:44 pm

cute!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote: don't think i've ever gotten drunk after i turned 25. i hate losing control.

Did you even try liquor before 25? Honestly....

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:55 pm

baileys irish cream liqueur with the best company ever....

Impedimenta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 am

Impedimenta wrote:baileys irish cream liqueur with the best company ever....

rajinikantham is in Edison, NJ?

Another Brick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 am

Another Brick wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:baileys irish cream liqueur with the best company ever....

rajinikantham is in Edison, NJ?

Vinodini, pliss to understand. Rajinikantham is God. Priyamvadai, blessed though she is, has not yet reached that level of spiritual enlightenment to go boozing with God. Also, God is recovering from a surgery and is not trying anything more potent than water for a while.

No saar, she's most likely referring to Robert Downey Jr. Or that contractor fellow who shows up to work in pista green shirts.

Merlot Daruwala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:53 am

i am drinking vaaterrrrrrrrrrr

Bittu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:49 pm

kinnera wrote:

eh? i don't understand. didn't you say your husband went to an IIT? hasn't he ever talked about what happens at the hostels the night the exams got done?

MaxEntropy_Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:26 am

Currently sniffing, sipping, swirling and pampering my discerning taste-buds with Goan feni + apple juice.

Merlot Daruwala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:56 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
kinnera wrote:

eh? i don't understand. didn't you say your husband went to an IIT? hasn't he ever talked about what happens at the hostels the night the exams got done?

asked him that Q now, and his ans was 'yeah, tried once or twice, but never to the point of getting drunk'. As my 19 yr old son who lives on campus says, there are always the ones who drink and party and the ones who don't. It's ones choice who one wants to mingle with.

I'm surprised that a small town tambram guy, 15-20 yrs ago (I'm assuming you are around 40) used to get smacked drunk before he turned 25. What i observed was that ppl of your generation usually start drinking regularly in their 30s, after their marriage and all.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 pm

what does being tambrahm and from a small town have to do with it? there are plenty in our community who drink regularly though not to the point of getting drunk. in my own case, growing up, i had male relatives who were either retired or actively serving army officers, and one uncle who was the president of the madras boat club. so alcohol was always a presence.

the point is, the two or three occasions i actually got drunk were before i was 25, in college. i am none the worse for it, but would hate to get drunk and act like an idiot now. there is an age for everything and one doesn't have to become damaged and become an alcoholic after one or two experiences of getting drunk. it's possible to grow up and have a drink or two once or twice a week and drink responsibly.

MaxEntropy_Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:53 pm

kinnera wrote:As my 19 yr old son who lives on campus says, there are always the ones who drink and party and the ones who don't. It's ones choice who one wants to mingle with.

your 19 yr. old is absolutely right. i saw those non drinker ones when i was in campus though i was not a part of them. make sure your 19 yr. old is not lying -- and i have no reason to believe he is lying but it does not hurt to be extra cautious.

I'm surprised that a small town tambram guy, 15-20 yrs ago (I'm assuming you are around 40) used to get smacked drunk before he turned 25. What i observed was that ppl of your generation usually start drinking regularly in their 30s, after their marriage and all.

yes i'm surprised too. all the tambrahms i know developed a fondness for drinking, not saying alcoholism, after their marriage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:03 pm

to further clarify, i'm talking of tambrahm guys (in the above post) who would report a headache on drinking half a glass of wine (before marriage that is).

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
yes i'm surprised too. all the tambrahms i know developed a fondness for drinking, not saying alcoholism, after their marriage.

are you saying tambrahm women drive their men to drink?

Propagandhi711

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

your 19 yr. old is absolutely right. i saw those non drinker ones when i was in campus though i was not a part of them.

LOL

Dunno why, and maybe I am not alone here, but I always love it whenever someone is scolding Max for being a bad boy, and he gets on the backfoot explaining/defending himself. Dunny why....

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:16 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

are you saying tambrahm women drive their men to drink?

of course. now chetan bhagat has already aired his displeasure at the minimum drinking age being 25 in india (or maharashtra -- not sure). evidently the guy loves his scotch. someone is driving him to drink.

http://twitter.com/#!/chetan_bhagat/status/76247939953082368

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Delicious!

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Do beers taste better if they are given these fancy names? Aphrodite? "La Fin Du Monde"?

Or is it just to make it all sound sufficiently snooty and separate it from the ordinary, lawnmower kinds?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 pm

blabberwock wrote:Do beers taste better if they are given these fancy names? Aphrodite? "La Fin Du Monde"?

Or is it just to make it all sound sufficiently snooty and separate it from the ordinary, lawnmower kinds?
Budweiser and Coors Light sound pretty fancy to me, Lucy.

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Do beers taste better if they are given these fancy names? Aphrodite? "La Fin Du Monde"?

Budweiser and Coors Light sound pretty fancy to me, Lucy.

Really, compared to "Aphrodite"?

Seriously, Snoopy, how can anyone drink a beer called Aphrodite, the Goddess of love? It sounds more like some dainty drink that to be sipped gently while filing one's nails. Is that how you drink it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Delicious!

whoa 9% alcohol. Seems like a good beer though.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/34

Bittu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:13 pm

blabberwock wrote:

Seriously, Snoopy, how can anyone drink a beer called Aphrodite, the Goddess of love? It sounds more like some dainty drink that to be sipped gently while filing one's nails. Is that how you drink it?
Really, Lucy? Only carbonated spring water has that distinction?

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

This is supposed to be a BEER - a man's drink. Can you imagine John Wayne sipping and swirling an Aphrodite?

In any case, there is no sparkling water called " Aphrodite" or "Venus". So there!

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Delicious!

tut..tut..the quintessential other foam is missin' Shocked Surprised

garam_kuta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:22 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

Forgot to shave again, dog?

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

Forgot to shave again, dog?

oops..my bad..nevertheless, the other foam missin' refers to your posts in the ' What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today?',

PS:since when we got so kosher about topics categories? Surprised

garam_kuta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
oops..my bad..nevertheless, the other foam missin' refers to your posts in the ' What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today?',

We have a dyslexic dog here?

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

We have a dyslexic dog here?

ha, ha..http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/247209.In_the_Mind_s_Eye

PS: don't be too shy..asking for a clue/help is OK for finding 'the other foam'

garam_kuta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
PS: don't be too shy..asking for a clue/help is OK for finding 'the other foam'

Sorry! No interest in learning Kokkeespeak.

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

Here you go Lucy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fin_du_Monde_%28beer%29

The name is said to derive from the European explorers' belief that they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America.[2]
However, a folk interpretation attributes the name to a marketing
agent, who upon being frustrated at not finding a satisfactory name,
exclaimed to his discouraged colleagues: it's not the end of the world!

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=14&spclty=1

Hellsangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:19 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top