Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why the stupid say they are smart

Go down

why the stupid say they are smart Empty why the stupid say they are smart

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 pm

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131125-why-the-stupid-say-theyre-smart

You're pretty smart right? Clever, and funny too. Of course you are, just like me. But wouldn't it be terrible if we were mistaken? Psychologists have shown that we are more likely to be blind to our own failings than perhaps we realise. This could explain why some incompetent people are so annoying, and also inject a healthy dose of humility into our own sense of self-regard.

Back to top Go down

why the stupid say they are smart Empty Re: why the stupid say they are smart

Post by Kris Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131125-why-the-stupid-say-theyre-smart

You're pretty smart right? Clever, and funny too. Of course you are, just like me. But wouldn't it be terrible if we were mistaken? Psychologists have shown that we are more likely to be blind to our own failings than perhaps we realise. This could explain why some incompetent people are so annoying, and also inject a healthy dose of humility into our own sense of self-regard.

>>>If stupid people knew that about themselves, they would be smart and therefore cannot be stupid. Besides, we have dads to provide us the reality check anyway.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131125-why-the-stupid-say-theyre-smart

>>>If stupid people knew that about themselves, they would be smart and therefore cannot be stupid. Besides, we have dads to provide us the reality check anyway.

as a self introspection, have often wondered, 'is this all what i am thinking is based on, or is there more to it'. many times it would turn out to be, 'that i didn't/don't know enough'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kris wrote:

as a self introspection, have often wondered, 'is this all what i am thinking is based on, or is there more to it'. many times it would turn out to be, 'that i didn't/don't know enough'.

>>>We don't know what we don't know. We just have to operate on the basis of our limited knowledge after a point.

A story from the Arabian nights:

The Sultan cannot sleep one night and calls his minister and asks him ' This is bothering me and I feel insecure. What is holding up the earth?'. The minister thinks about it for a minute and says ' why, everyone knows it is four giant elephants, your majesty!'. The next night, the Sultan calls him in the middle of the night and asks him ' what is holding up the elephants?' The minister promptly responds 'easy, it is a giant turtle'. Next night's question: 'what is holding up the turtle?'. The minister decides it is time to put an end to this 'It is turtles all the way down after that your majesty. Now go back to sleep' 

The moral of the story: We have to know when we hit our first turtle so we don't overthink ourselves into a bind.

Alternative moral: Middle Eastern sheiks are idiots and you can get away with anything, as long as you tell them what they want to hear.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Lol. Alternative morals are always more fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down