Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How good or bad is your penmanship?

+6
Impedimenta
bw
seven
swapna
garam_kuta
goodcitizn
10 posters

Go down

How good or bad is your penmanship? Empty How good or bad is your penmanship?

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:31 pm

While rummaging through some old files at my mother's house I came across my notes from highschool. I was amazed how good my penmanship was compared to my handwriting these days. Is this typical?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

How good or bad is your penmanship? Empty Re: How good or bad is your penmanship?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Very typical.

Back to top Go down

How good or bad is your penmanship? Empty Re: How good or bad is your penmanship?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:44 pm

was bad. is bad. some days it's better, some days it's worse. that's coz my handwriting changes often.

My high school chem teacher was convinced I had multiple personality disorder, coz sometimes teachers begin remembering students' hand writing, and I always surprised her in my practical reports.

You know you are inconsistent when even your mom asks who wrote the address on the post that I mailed to her.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:was bad. is bad. some days it's better, some days it's worse. that's coz my handwriting changes often.

My high school chem teacher was convinced I had multiple personality disorder, coz sometimes teachers begin remembering students' hand writing, and I always surprised her in my practical reports.

You know you are inconsistent when even your mom asks who wrote the address on the post that I mailed to her.

Surprisingly my penmanship in Tamil is about the same. Perhaps it is because I don't write that much in Tamil any more or I use more print in my writing Tamil.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:53 pm

I constantly switch between print and cursive, sometimes, within a single paragraph! when writing cursive, some days they are beautiful slanted loops proving I went to a convent school. other times, every loop goes wrong, and sometimes looks like an insect crawled out of the ink bottle.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I constantly switch between print and cursive, sometimes, within a single paragraph! when writing cursive, some days they are beautiful slanted loops proving I went to a convent school. other times, every loop goes wrong, and sometimes looks like an insect crawled out of the ink bottle.

Trace, how about your signature?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I constantly switch between print and cursive, sometimes, within a single paragraph! when writing cursive, some days they are beautiful slanted loops proving I went to a convent school. other times, every loop goes wrong, and sometimes looks like an insect crawled out of the ink bottle.

:(ask my bro that. He has not been able to sell some shares of mine coz my signature doesn't match the original from years ago. I am glad I don't live in India any more. Even state bank refused once to do a transaction for me. So hear this out. Bro took me to a State bank branch to sort this out. I showed them my passport. Told them I am me. And YET they refused to pass my transaction. But they were nice, so they made me prepare a new signature card. On that  I signed 3-4 times. The lady there looked at it and then at me. Bro did a face palm. The signs there didn't match at all, according to her. To me they were the same. She tore that and made me sign another one. That was a little more acceptable.

Now whenever he wants me to sign on something, bro sends me the form, and a previous form, so that I see my last signature and try to do the same. Not to mention the number of times I get yelled yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Sad ask my bro that. He has not been able to sell some shares of mine coz my signature doesn't match the original from years ago. I am glad I don't live in India any more. Even state bank refused once to do a transaction for me. So hear this out. Bro took me to a State bank branch to sort this out. I showed them my passport. Told them I am me. And YET they refused to pass my transaction. But they were nice, so they made me prepare a new signature card. On that  I signed 3-4 times. The lady there looked at it and then at me. Bro did a face palm. The signs there didn't match at all. She tore that and made me sign another one. That was a little more acceptable.

Now whenever he wants me to sign on something, bro sends me the form, and a previous form, so that I see my last signature and try to do the same. Not to mention the number of times I get yelled yet.

Wow, that's some story. As you know, the signatures of certain celebrities are worth a lot of money, and usually you have an expert confirming the authenticity of such signatures. Wonder how these experts deal with celebrities in a similar situation as you.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Sad ask my bro that. He has not been able to sell some shares of mine coz my signature doesn't match the original from years ago. I am glad I don't live in India any more. Even state bank refused once to do a transaction for me. So hear this out. Bro took me to a State bank branch to sort this out. I showed them my passport. Told them I am me. And YET they refused to pass my transaction. But they were nice, so they made me prepare a new signature card. On that  I signed 3-4 times. The lady there looked at it and then at me. Bro did a face palm. The signs there didn't match at all. She tore that and made me sign another one. That was a little more acceptable.

Wow, that's some story. As you know, the signatures of certain celebrities are worth a lot of money, and usually you have an expert confirming the authenticity of such signatures. Wonder how these experts deal with celebrities in a similar situation as you.

Dunno. Nobody has questioned it here. But in India looks like everyone is a sign expert. I edited my post above. To me my 3-4 signatures looked pretty identical but she refused to accept it.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Dunno. Nobody has questioned it here. But in India looks like everyone is a sign expert. I edited my post above. To me my 3-4 signatures looked pretty identical but she refused to accept it.

Someone like Kris who is in the banking industry will have a good answer to this scenario.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Someone like Kris who is in the banking industry will have a good answer to this scenario.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:17 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:was bad. is bad. some days it's better, some days it's worse. that's coz my handwriting changes often.

Surprisingly my penmanship in Tamil is about the same. Perhaps it is because I don't write that much in Tamil any more or I use more print in my writing Tamil.

more print? scratch

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:10 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

more print? scratch
Is there anything other than print in tamil? each letter is separate, and not connected to the next. I've never come across any writing in tamil that might be called cursive.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:33 pm

I stumbled upon my diary from college last week. My handwriting was really innocent. Beautiful too. It's still the same, only a little mature.
My dad's handwriting was very beautiful n so was mine. I used to write one page everyday for practice. Both Hindi n English. How cute is that!
Teachers in school that taught me used to point out my sisters bad handwriting contrasting to my handwriting.
I won 1st, 2nd prizes for handwriting n caricature competitions.
My signature hasn't changed since 10th grade:p

I thot, Tracy, I was a lot like you. In this matter, I'm not.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:44 pm

My DH has this signature issue. His old icici account in India is still open bcz his signatures don't match the record. His handwriting is bad n I don't think even he can read it Smile)
Prolly bcz he's been typing for a long time.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

goodcitizn wrote:While rummaging through some old files at my mother's house I came across my notes from highschool. I was amazed how good my penmanship was compared to my handwriting these days. Is this typical?

mine is pretty much the same as it was back then. in fact, i think it is better Smile

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

swapna wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

more print? scratch
Is there anything other than print in tamil? each letter is separate, and not connected to the next. I've never come across any writing in tamil that might be called cursive.

When I write fast in Tamil, I connect certain letters with their loops, not always print each letter. For instance, when I write IRUTTU, IRUT will stay connected (similar to cursive writing) and TU will be printed. Not every word gets printed. That's what I meant. Not sure if this practice exists in Malayalam or Telugu.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:15 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:While rummaging through some old files at my mother's house I came across my notes from highschool. I was amazed how good my penmanship was compared to my handwriting these days. Is this typical?

mine is pretty much the same as it was back then. in fact, i think it is better Smile

Did you ever learn calligraphy?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:18 pm

seven wrote:I stumbled upon my diary from college last week. My handwriting was really innocent. Beautiful too. It's still the same, only a little mature.
My dad's handwriting was very beautiful n so was mine. I used to write one page everyday for practice. Both Hindi n English. How cute is that!  
Teachers in school that taught me used to point out my sisters bad handwriting contrasting to my handwriting.

I always enjoy seeing someone's beautiful handwriting! What is mature?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:25 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

i have dabbled in it a bit. i think the reason my writing hasn't suffered much is because i have always used a pen and paper to jot down things and am more comfortable writing things down on paper than using any electronic device.

i used to write letters regularly to my parents. my dad used to enjoy reading them over and over again and later tell me of any errors i had made. for him, phone calls were just for conveying things and not for extended conversation.

i don't write letters any more but i still use a lot of paper. trees be damned! Twisted Evil

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:34 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

i have dabbled in it a bit. i think the reason my writing hasn't suffered much is because i have always used a pen and paper to jot down things and am more comfortable writing things down on paper than using any electronic device.

i used to write letters regularly to my parents. my dad used to enjoy reading them over and over again and later tell me of any errors i had made. for him, phone calls were just for conveying things and not for extended conversation.

i don't write letters any more but i still use a lot of paper. trees be damned! Twisted Evil

My dad had a very nice handwriting and till the very end always used a fountain pen. I still read his old letters to me with admiration and nostalgia. I tend to scribble, and my handwriting is sometimes illegible even to me. Mad

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:48 pm

bw wrote:

i have dabbled in it a bit.

Perhaps that helps your penmanship. I tend to write more upright whereas many seem to prefer slanting slightly to the right.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

Perhaps that helps your penmanship. I tend to write more upright whereas many seem to prefer slanting slightly to the right.

yes, mine slants to the right. my school used to have handwriting competitions and i guess that motivated a lot of us to work on it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
seven wrote:I stumbled upon my diary from college last week. My handwriting was really innocent. Beautiful too. It's still the same, only a little mature.

Mature as in I found my letters written with much care n detail. Like S was artistic and I took time to write it bcz it was first letter of a new paragraph. And the dot on I was a perfect circle. I don't do that anymore. Also the strokes now are more confident, assertive n even though they're still the same, I am able to see more wisdom in them. Actually more innocence in my old handwriting.
I started reading what I wrote n it was sooo kiddish. Boring really. It felt so important back then ofcoz. So I guess it wasn't just my handwriting, but also the content that lacked maturity.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:29 pm

seven wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Mature as in I found my letters written with much care n detail. Like S was artistic and I took time to write it bcz it was first letter of a new paragraph. And the dot on I was a perfect circle. I don't do that anymore. Also the strokes now are more confident, assertive n even though they're still the same, I am able to see more wisdom in them. Actually more innocence in my old handwriting.
I started reading what I wrote n it was sooo kiddish. Boring really. It felt so important back then ofcoz. So I guess it wasn't just my handwriting, but also the content that lacked maturity.

Interesting. As for what I was reading from my highschool notebooks, they were just notes taken during class. Except for a few doodles that were funny, there was nothing to show what I was like back then. So what do you think of those who draw hearts over their I's? Laughing

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

yes, mine slants to the right. my school used to have handwriting competitions and i guess that motivated a lot of us to work on it.

We had no such competition so let that be my excuse! Very Happy

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 am

I must have the worst penmanship :-( actually, a colleague who looked at my recent writing said if he did not know me personally, he would have thought that I was a doctor or a male[or both] just from my writing :-)
Anyway, after reading BW's account, I am going to make an effort to write on paper rather than to reach for my electronic device to take notes.
Having said that, my daughter surprised me with her penmanship. She is into creative writing and I often see her write on paper with a pen rather than use her computer. That surprised me considering they took out cursive writing from the school curriculum. My son, I am sure will have horrible handwriting.

I have some letters written by my mom[when she was in the US for her treatment and I was in India in college] that I was looking at the other day. She had a beautiful handwriting and her vocabulary was just amazing. She knew at that time that she had lost her battle. She wrote to me a lot, one letter per week and I can use them till date as fodder for my personal growth.

I would have attached an image of her writing only if folks here did not use such [harmless] personal information for their own bloody amusement.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:49 am

Impedimenta wrote:I have some letters written by my mom[when she was in the US for her treatment and I was in India in college] that I was looking at the other day. She had a beautiful handwriting and her vocabulary was just amazing. She knew at that time that she had lost her battle. She wrote to me a lot, one letter per week and I can use them till date as fodder for my personal growth.

I would have attached an image of her writing only if folks here did not use such [harmless] personal information for their own bloody amusement.

Would love it if you share. Not for amusement, but coz I am a sucker for such things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:55 am

do people's handwriting change according to the pen they are using? Mine does.

Back in college, used ballpoint pen for regular use, but ALWAYS used a fountain pen for exams. That made my handwriting look a little more 'educated'. Cursive came easier with fountain pen for me. Also, my fave ink was royal blue (forgetting the brand), I think that's what it was. Not the usual blue that e'one used.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 am

seven wrote:My DH has this signature issue. His old icici account in India is still open bcz his signatures don't match the record. His handwriting is bad n I don't think even he can read it Smile)

My handwriting was never considered good but it was legible and decipherable. I can go back and read notes from my grad school even today. But I cannot say the same thing about notes from a meeting I took yesterday :-)

Regarding banks not honoring cheques/requests because of signature mismatch, I have a trick. Just create a situation that will force them to contact you and validate your identity. You can then turn it around and ask them to employ the same validations to carry out operations that you had requested. It worked for me with ICICI and AXIS banks.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:19 am

Impedimenta wrote:

don't!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 am

Impedimenta wrote:I must have the worst penmanship :-( actually, a colleague who looked at my recent writing said if he did not know me personally, he would have thought that I was a doctor or a male[or both] just from my writing :-)
Anyway, after reading BW's account, I am going to make an effort to write on paper rather than to reach for my electronic device to take notes.
Having said that, my daughter surprised me with her penmanship. She is into creative writing and I often see her write on paper with a pen rather than use her computer. That surprised me considering they took out cursive writing from the school curriculum. My son, I am sure will have horrible handwriting.

I have some letters written by my mom[when she was in the US for her treatment and I was in India in college] that I was looking at the other day. She had a beautiful handwriting and her vocabulary was just amazing. She knew at that time that she had lost her battle. She wrote to me a lot, one letter per week and I can use them till date as fodder for my personal growth.

Why did they take out cursive writing?

I could have posted a few examples of my dad's beautiful handwriting too. Not a good idea. It's like ... anything you say can and will be used against you.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 am

smArtha wrote:
seven wrote:My DH has this signature issue. His old icici account in India is still open bcz his signatures don't match the record. His handwriting is bad n I don't think even he can read it Smile)

My handwriting was never considered good but it was legible and decipherable. I can go back and read notes from my grad school even today. But I cannot say the same thing about notes from a meeting I took yesterday :-)

Regarding banks not honoring cheques/requests because of signature mismatch, I have a trick. Just create a situation that will force them to contact you and validate your identity. You can then turn it around and ask them to employ the same validations to carry out operations that you had requested. It worked for me with ICICI and AXIS banks.
Can you explain?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:47 am

All my school days I tried to adapt and improve my handwriting. But, I kept changing my style and never settled on one. So, basically I have no specific handwriting that can be identified as mine.

One advantage was I can "forge" many signatures and write - on a limited scale - like anyone else. I have forged my mother and father, and co-worker, bosses signatures, etc...in case of urgency. but I was that honest guy who would tell them after their meeting/day that I had already signed in their name.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:do people's handwriting change according to the pen they are using? Mine does.

I had a Parker fountain pen my grandfather gave me in college. My handwriting was more legible and better using that. It was also slightly bigger to hold so perhaps the grip was better. Ballpoint pens lack that traction I guess.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 am

Modesty aside, have heard that my penmanship is quite good.

Of course, it also depends on the intention..personal or work-related. If it is work and business matters and I am in a hurry is it not as good (but not really bad) as it is when I make time to write personal notes and letters.

And I do consistently write handwritten letters and notes (wrote two letters and one card this morning- have to go the post office during my lunch break to mail them)..I enjoy writing them (more than the million 
e-mails, dislike texting), almost therapeutic! I have fountain pens, ball point pens..don't really collect them..but do have all kinds of pens:)

My mother who is in her late 70s, has beautiful penmanship..not to mention the way she expresses herself..it has not changed even a little!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:00 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

All my school days I tried to adapt and improve my handwriting. But, I kept changing my style and never settled on one. So, basically I have no specific handwriting that can be identified as mine.

One advantage was I can "forge" many signatures and write - on a limited scale - like anyone else. I have forged my mother and father, and co-worker, bosses signatures, etc...in case of urgency. but I was that honest guy who would tell them after their meeting/day that I had already signed in their name.

Forging your parents' signatures is what almost every kid has tried at one time or another. My brothers were pretty good at it. I was so bad I couldn't even forge my own!

I have also experimented with various styles of handwriting but always went back to the one I started out with. My dad used to say that I needed to develop motor memory to write consistently. Unfortunately my motor seems to be losing a few pistons!

I seem to switch the way I write certain letters like f, r and b. That's another problem with consistency.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:10 am

Maria S wrote:Modesty aside, have heard that my penmanship is quite good.

Of course, it also depends on the intention..personal or work-related. If it is work and business matters and I am in a hurry is it not as good (but not really bad) as it is when I make time to write personal notes and letters.

And I do consistently write handwritten letters and notes (wrote two letters and one card this morning- have to go the post office during my lunch break to mail them)..I enjoy writing them (more than the million 
e-mails, dislike texting), almost therapeutic! I have fountain pens, ball point pens..don't really collect them..but do have all kinds of pens:)

My mother who is in her late 70s, has beautiful penmanship..not to mention the way she expresses herself..it has not changed even a little!

No need for modesty. Yes, we all try our best handwriting on greeting cards and such. Unfortunately for me, the slower and more carefully I try to write cursive, the worse it gets, although cursive is considered to be more personal. I print better when I write slower.

Maria, I had a feeling you had nice penmanship like the elegance of a springing gazelle!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 am

Aww, thanks a lot GC, a poetic man (flatterer) with good intuition:) 

Seriously, I can understand what you say. 

Good to see you good citizen!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:25 am

Maria S wrote:Aww, thanks a lot GC, a poetic man (flatterer) with good intuition:) 

Seriously, I can understand what you say. 

Good to see you good citizen!

Nandri, ThangaaL!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:14 pm

hi M akka, long time no hear. Hope you are well.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Hello Impedimentama!

Doing well, busy like you all:)

Hope you are doing well too.

take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 pm

This is a sample of the handwriting. Didn't notice then, but look how all the Ys are different.

Heh, xh would have written a pageful of inspirational speech, but I can never bring myself to write a variation of what's here.

How good or bad is your penmanship? OknpvPl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:This is a sample of the handwriting. Didn't notice then, but look how all the Ys are different.

Heh, xh would have written a pageful of inspirational speech, but I can never bring myself to write a variation of what's here.

but I can never bring myself to write *anything more than* a variation of what's here.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:This is a sample of the handwriting. Didn't notice then, but look how all the Ys are different.

Maybe try typing. You sure like to write a lot that way :p:p

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:53 am

seven wrote:

Maybe try typing. You sure like to write a lot that way :p:p

haha. no it's not about writing vs typing. I used to write approx 10 pages a week to xh when he came here for school. But in this case, it's like, I am in their face all the time. I was with them before going to school, and I am going back to them. They will see me just before they see that note in school. I mean, writing something too inspirational or lovey-dovey, seems too formal to me. I think they may get a little disappointed when comparing to others. But they get it when they are older. Atleast my d is now glad I was the way I was. She may have rubbished me a lot when she was younger but she thanks me now (I think/hope this is an ongoing thing, as she rubbishes me now about a lot of other things).

Once XH and I had both gone for one of her B2S nights, and while I wrote my usual 'i love you', I turned to look he was writing a page full of speech. But that's how it is now too. Older tests us sometimes. Like she would send the same picture to XH and me. I would reply, 'cool' or maybe a 2-3 word question like 'what is this' or 'where is this'. He otoh would ask 5-6 questions, and give a full comment on what he liked about it or a keep-it-up mumbo jumbo. She then screenshots both our responses and sends them to one another, thus making me feel like a total loser compared to him. *sigh*

Anyway, this made me go into my archives and dish out what I had written last year. Similar stuff. Also gives a hint to me that maybe I was much more impressed by his last year's teacher than I am this year. Last year, his teacher had loved him too. Oh Boy, will see how this year goes.

How good or bad is your penmanship? JKWLYxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down