Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings

+10
bw
seven
southindian
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Vakavaka Pakapaka
smArtha
indophile
Propagandhi711
confuzzled dude
Seva Lamberdar
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings - Page 2 Empty Re: Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:

According to Goswami Tulsidas, the man who wrote the RamaCharitManasa, women deserve a beating from time to time. His exact words were:

Dhol Gawaar Sudra pashu Naari
Yeh Sab hai taadan ke adhikaari

The fact that a man should beat a haughty woman to destroy her arrogance is also prescribed in the Upanisads.

Does this make it a Hindu tradition?

Even in its isolation - without the context - it doesn't state beat them. It just says they can be hit (if necessary - implicit). It is of course wrong based on the present day's moral and ethics. But morals/ethics are not timeless. They are very much functions of space, time and the maturity of the society.  

Today almost all of us find it absolutely acceptable to earn and acquire as much as we are capable of and behave accordingly. If it means someone gets a lot more of the same natural resources than the other less fortunate we don't see any issues with it. However, in some distant future man kind may evolve to a point where we recognize the 'birth right' of every person born to have a proportional share of the food and other resources that the Planet itself offers them. At that point all of us will be looked down as someone who encouraged and carried out loot of justified share of existential resources from the poorer segment. Hope you got the message.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings - Page 2 Empty Re: Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:23 pm

smArtha wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
smArtha wrote:

It is okay if you are not aware of some customs or rituals of Hinduism. If someone adhering to those customs/rituals is phony, what do we call someone who makes conclusions based on information he is not aware of?
Well I read your response as there is no such custom. The bar is set high for Modiji because he is no ordinary Hindu he is a special Hindu who sees everything through Hindutva glasses

Is that some 'confuzzled' logic there. What about my response indicates that there is no such custom? And why should Modi even acknowledge any bars you set?
If you're aware of one you'd have let us know. Modiji is on the hook to adhere to the bars set by his masters at Nagpur (not me) there is noway around it whether you like it or not.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:World's first birth control!

10. Now, the woman whom one may desire with the thought, 'May she not conceive offspring!'--after inserting the member in her and joining mouth with mouth, he should first inhale, then exhale, and say: 'With power, with semen, I reclaim the semen from you!' Thus she comes to be without seed.

Such 'absorption' techniques and how to practice/master them are part of some tAntrika texts. They talk about accomplished masters employing these methods to suck in 'mercury' (actually some secret doped form of it) to attain 'eternal' virility and fertility.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:48 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

If you're aware of one you'd have let us know. Modiji is on the hook to adhere to the bars set by his masters at Nagpur (not me) there is noway around it whether you like it or not.

Sorry for expecting some basic knowledge from a 'convert masquerading as a Hindu'. mAtru dEvO bhava and pitru dEvO bhava are some of the basic things taught from upanishads to pedda bAla siksha. And what better occasion than birthday to remember and honor the very cause of such birth and life.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:10 pm

HBD dear PM!
Wishing you a healthy n long life ahead. Happiness n success too:)Smile

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:14 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:I'm not aware of any Hindu custom that tells you to take blessings of  elders on birthday. What kind of Hinduism is he practicing? Modiji appears to be a phony Hindu

In any case , Happy birthday Modiji
It IS a hindu custom to take blessings of elders on birthdays and other occasions (It isn't a hindu custom to blow away candles on a cake on birthdays though). A mother is given the highest status in hinduism. 'Matru devo bhava' isn't there in any other religion. A mother is equated to god.
Yes to seeking elders blessings but not sure of celebrating birthday that probably is a contaminated custom adapted recently; what will happen to the sanctity of Hinduism if pure Hindu souls like Modiji are practicing pseudo Hindu customs such as this. Not a good sign. I really feel for my Hindu brethren
Oh seriously? Haven't you heard of Sri Krishna Janmashtami that is being celebrated all over India for centuries? It's the birthday of Krishna, fyi. It isn't something new.

If you don't know about Hinduism, pls don't talk about it. It's pretty disgusting that people's hatred for Hindus and Modi turns even a simple gesture of Modi taking blessings from his mom, who gave birth to him, into something intolerable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:24 pm

don't piss off mulla reddy any further. he's had it with y'all and is this close to suicide bombing something after friday prayers in reston/dulles area masjid

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:27 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:I'm not aware of any Hindu custom that tells you to take blessings of  elders on birthday. What kind of Hinduism is he practicing? Modiji appears to be a phony Hindu

It IS a hindu custom to take blessings of elders on birthdays and other occasions (It isn't a hindu custom to blow away candles on a cake on birthdays though). A mother is given the highest status in hinduism. 'Matru devo bhava' isn't there in any other religion. A mother is equated to god.
Yes to seeking elders blessings but not sure of celebrating birthday that probably is a contaminated custom adapted recently; what will happen to the sanctity of Hinduism if pure Hindu souls like Modiji are practicing pseudo Hindu customs such as this. Not a good sign. I really feel for my Hindu brethren

aren't t the first birthday, 60th birthday, 80th birthday  all celebrated in a grand manner? why do you say that the celebration of one's birthday is not a hindu custom? i recall having two birth days - a star birthday and a 'date of birth'. my father used to do an "archanai" at a temple on my 'star birthday' and some dessert was made at home, no matter where i was located.

you can probably question the calendar used.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Yes, same here. i was born on Durgashtami and every year I go to the temple on that day and mom also has an archana done on my name at the temple. I celebrate the 'date of birth' b'day by going to my favorite restaurant with my family.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Oh seriously? Haven't you heard of Sri Krishna Janmashtami that is being celebrated all over India for centuries? It's the birthday of Krishna, fyi. It isn't something new.
What do you do on JanmAshtami, take blessings of Krishna's mother?!
Kinnera wrote:
If you don't know about Hinduism, pls don't talk about it. It's pretty disgusting that people's hatred for Hindus
Hatred? for you, querying about a Hindu custom is hatred and you have the gall to accuse people of other religions as haters.
Kinnera wrote:
and Modi turns even a simple gesture of Modi taking blessings from his mom, who gave birth to him, into something intolerable.
Is that the Jihadist in you giving you that feeling.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:24 pm

smArtha wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Sorry for expecting some basic knowledge from a 'convert masquerading as a Hindu'. mAtru dEvO bhava and pitru dEvO bhava are some of the basic things taught from upanishads to pedda bAla siksha. And what better occasion than birthday to remember and honor the very cause of such birth and life.
Is that a arrogant Brahmin speaking? Is that what you're taught? we Brahmins are superior race, all others are chAnDAlas.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

aren't t the first birthday, 60th birthday, 80th birthday  all celebrated in a grand manner? why do you say that the celebration of one's birthday is not a hindu custom? i recall having two birth days - a star birthday and a 'date of birth'. my father used to do an "archanai" at a temple on my 'star birthday' and some dessert was made at home, no matter where i was located.
Shashtipoorthi is celebrated at the completion of 60 years, it is significant because Hindu calender is of 60-year cycle. I don't think the other two events you had mentioned are as common.
bw wrote:you can probably question the calendar used.
I did already; so far you're the only suCHer that said they go by Hindu calendar.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Birthdays celebrated on the 'star' day which is according to the lunar calender I believe. I remember getting new set of clothes and mostly we will go to temple in the evening to do the archanai and we would seek blessings from parents when we wear the new clothes. Mostly mom would make some sweet at home and share among nearby friends(kids)/houses.

I remember seeing a video of SG explaining about 60/80th b'day.

Indo mentioned that 'oil bath' on bday. I remember that is not a practice as some ayurvedic texts which forbids oil bath on birth/star day.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

According to Goswami Tulsidas, the man who wrote the RamaCharitManasa, women deserve a beating from time to time. His exact words were:

The fact that a man should beat a haughty woman to destroy her arrogance is also prescribed in the Upanisads.

What ppl are following is what makes a custom, not what Tulsidas said.

Show me the upanishad which said that.

7. If she should not grant him his desire, he should bribe her. If she still does not grant him his desire, he should hit her with a stick or with his hand, and overcome her, saying: 'With power, with glory I take away your glory!' Thus she becomes inglorious.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe15/sbe15098.htm

Hahaha! The judge who recently ruled that marital rape is legal must have had this in mind.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Shashtipoorthi is celebrated at the completion of 60 years, it is significant because Hindu calender is of 60-year cycle. I don't think the other two events you had mentioned are as common.

the first b'day celebration is pretty common - it is called "aandu niraivau" in tamil although i do recall someone telling me that their community celebrates the second birthday of the child and not the first.

as for the 80th b'day (sathabishekam), it is generally celebrated if both husband and wife are alive (and the husband crosses 80). it signifies having witnessed a 1000 new moons and usually happens after 81 or so. it is really not the 80th birthday.

both these are not just social affairs but involve religious rituals including homam etc. i have to say that your awareness of hindu rituals is rather suspect if you say that celebration of birthdays is not on!

bw wrote:you can probably question the calendar used.

confuzzled dude wrote:
I did already; so far you're the only suCHer that said they go by Hindu calendar.

that's about the only shot you can take at modi on this matter - not using the hindu calendar.

Last edited by bw on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:19 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
What do you do on JanmAshtami, take blessings of Krishna's mother?!

>>>>>>eh? What do you do on Christmas? Looks like you didn't know what to say when you are cornered and your assertion that birthday celebrations isn't a hindu thing was squashed.

Kinnera wrote:
If you don't know about Hinduism, pls don't talk about it. It's pretty disgusting that people's hatred for Hindus
Hatred? for you, querying about a Hindu custom is hatred and you have the gall to accuse people of other religions as haters.

>>>>You were not querying. You were making statements and ridiculing. Your intense dislike for anything hindu is quite apparent, not just in this post, but most of your posts over the months.
You can't hide it.

Kinnera wrote:
and Modi turns even a simple gesture of Modi taking blessings from his mom, who gave birth to him, into something intolerable.
Is that the Jihadist in you giving you that feeling.

>>>>the jihadist in you is the one who couldn't tolerate Modi doing even the simplest thing. You had to ridicule Modi and along with him, Hindus too. Who's the intolerant Jihadist here? Buddhi lo maree inta vakrata? You are getting worse day by day. Get a grip!

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:40 pm

bw wrote:
both these are not just social affairs but involve religious rituals including homam etc. i have to say that your awareness of hindu rituals is rather suspect if you say that celebration of birthdays is  not on!
If it is a regional practice or only practiced by a certain community (no prizes for guessing) and not by the majority then I don't think it can called a Hindu ritual at best it is a tribal practice.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:50 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:
both these are not just social affairs but involve religious rituals including homam etc. i have to say that your awareness of hindu rituals is rather suspect if you say that celebration of birthdays is  not on!
If it is a regional practice or only practiced by a certain community (no prizes for guessing) and not by the majority then I don't think it can called a Hindu ritual at best it is a tribal practice.

when the tribe is part of the hindu religion, it is also a "hindu" practice. that said, celebrating birthdays and going to temples on that day is not restricted to brahmins or to a specific "tribe" of the hindus. there are no fixed set of rules and rituals for a "hindu"  - different sects follow different rituals.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:10 pm

smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Even in its isolation - without the context - it doesn't state beat them. It just says they can be hit (if necessary - implicit). It is of course wrong based on the present day's moral and ethics. But morals/ethics are not timeless. They are very much functions of space, time and the maturity of the society.  

Today almost all of us find it absolutely acceptable to earn and acquire as much as we are capable of and behave accordingly. If it means someone gets a lot more of the same natural resources than the other less fortunate we don't see any issues with it. However, in some distant future man kind may evolve to a point where we recognize the 'birth right' of every person born to have a proportional share of the food and other resources that the Planet itself offers them. At that point all of us will be looked down as someone who encouraged and carried out loot of justified share of existential resources from the poorer segment. Hope you got the message.

I am not being judgmental about Tulsidas. Probably his views on women were shared by people across the world during the times he lived in. I am happy that you do not see things in black and white.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14 am

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:

when the tribe is part of the hindu religion, it is also a "hindu" practice. that said, celebrating birthdays and going to temples on that day is not restricted to brahmins or to a specific "tribe" of the hindus. there are no fixed set of rules and rituals for a "hindu"  - different sects follow different rituals.

In all the religions, there are four basic rituals which happen in one's life: ritual at birth, ritual at initiation, ritual at marriage / wedding and ritual at death. The birthday celebration every year is really a reminder to the ritual at birth.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Agreed. For rituals/practices to be termed 'Religious' they have to be faithfully followed by Sheep OR enforced by sacrificing Bakras. Again no prizes for guessing which those religious groups are that the new converts are too eager to preach about.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:59 am

Here's the real reason confused douche and doucheman are questioning this - they are still butthurt about Modi being the Prime Minister! Razz

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Is that a arrogant Brahmin speaking? Is that what you're taught? we Brahmins are superior race, all others are chAnDAlas.

Your presumptuous and cocky take on subjects, you have limited knowledge about, is spread all over this forum for everyone to conclude which kind of a person you are. I don't need to do anymore classification or categorization.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Cd
wake up man. whether you and i like it or not, Brahmins defined Hindu customs. they kept those customs and rituals alive. if they say it is a custom and have puranic proof, you do not have a leg to stand on.

just because you, me and jagan reddy does not believe in their rituals we cannot denigrate their rituals.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:17 pm

smArtha wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Your presumptuous and cocky take on subjects, you have limited knowledge about, is spread all over this forum for everyone to conclude which kind of a person you are. I don't need to do anymore classification or categorization.
That's right sir! That was me acting high and mighty questioning basic knowledge of peddabalasikha. Why don't you enlighten this pamarudu with your superior knowledge of Vedas and Upanishads, pandita or is it pandita putra

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:22 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cd
wake up man. whether you and i like it or not, Brahmins defined Hindu customs. they kept those customs and rituals alive. if they say it is a custom and have puranic proof, you do not have a leg to stand on.

just because you, me and jagan reddy does not believe in their rituals we cannot denigrate  their rituals.

They kept them alive or kept them too close to their chest which resulted into loss of majority of the knowledge. What has Jaganmohan Reddy got to do with this?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:37 pm

CD

You act so innocent. Ref: racket at Tirumala temple.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:09 pm

truthbetold wrote:CD

and what has that got to do with the Hindu ritual in question? Was he telling them that celebrating birthday is a Christian ritual?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 pm

What was this?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

What was this?
So curious about any gossip on non-Hindus but won't say a word about Hindus mistreating others. Is this typical Hindu trait?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

What was this?
So curious about any gossip on non-Hindus but won't say a word about Hindus mistreating others. Is this typical Hindu trait?

Okee... Let us talk about Hindus releasing Kashmir water form Dams to flood and destroy muslims in Pakistan...Your friend Hafeez was gossipping about hindus.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:09 am

truthbetold wrote:Cd

just because you, me and jagan reddy does not believe in their rituals we cannot denigrate  their rituals
I don't think anyone has provided a puranic proof showing Hindu origins of this custom other than vague references and phrases like matru devobhava and calling me a recent convert pretending to be a scholar like them (not displaying midimidi jnanam like them) and some other nice names

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2