Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

haider - NYT review

4 posters

Go down

haider - NYT review Empty haider - NYT review

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:00 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/movies/haider-puts-an-indian-twist-on-hamlet.html

has anyone watched this yet?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

haider - NYT review Empty Re: haider - NYT review

Post by Guest Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 am

I watched the movie and very disappointed with it. It's a third rated movie coming from a supposedly good director. I don't understand why it got high ratings in IMBD.

All the hullaboo about the movie being anti-indian army or anti-india is an overexaggeration. The movie is about the main protagonist and his mother. It's not about the Indian army. Nothing much about it in the second half. I didn't find the actions of the army unjustified. Here's a doctor who has a hardcore terrorist come to him for an emergency medical treatment. As a dutiful doctor, he does what he's supposed to do true to his profession. If i were a dutiful and responsible citizen, i would inform the police or the army after the treatment is done. Anyway, the army comes to know about it and the army does what it's supposed to do. It evacuates all the residents from their homes and surrounds the home. They get shot at by the terrorists inside the house. The army returns the fire and ultimately bombs the house. Fair enough! Any army of any country in the world would do the same. The doctor is arrested as are many other who are suspected of supporting or involved in the anti insurgency/militant/terrorist activities. Fair enough. The families worry about their dear ones arrested. Nothing unnatural there. There may be a little exaggeration iwrt to the treatment of the prisioners. Overall, you don't come out of the theatre feeling averse to the indian army. 
You do feel utmost disgust for the crazy, mentally unstable and irrational hero. He's stupid! I empathized with Tabu in some parts, got ticked off in others. 
Wrt the objectons about the last song being pictuarized in the backdrop of a burnt sun temple: no big deal. Don't be stupidly oversensitive. It was a crappy song anyway. 

Overall, i was like, 'is the movie over yet?' but forced myself to watch it coz it's a much talked about movie and i wanted to see what the whole deal is abt.

Now let go read the review...or maybe not!

Last edited by Kinnera on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:45 am

funny how bollywood tripe is worth watching if the review is done by foreign newspapers

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:59 am

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:01 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:funny how bollywood tripe is worth watching if the review is done by foreign newspapers

Indeed Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down