Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashdoc's movie review---John Wick

2 posters

Go down

Ashdoc's movie review---John Wick Empty Ashdoc's movie review---John Wick

Post by ashdoc Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Keanu Reeves plays John Wick , an ex underworld gangster who had left his crime career for getting locked into holy matrimony with his wife years ago .

Sure , a man may want to leave the underworld but does the underworld ever leave him ?? No...

The underworld to which he formerly belonged lays it's deadly arm on him again at the same time his wife has just died....
Worse , the Russian underworld gangsters not only steal John's car , but also kill the puppy his wife had given him as parting gift....

It seems that the death of the puppy left John more hellbent on revenge than the theft of the car....for it was the gift from his beloved wife....

And hell hath no fury like a John Wick wronged....

The director builds a great aura around John Wick's character---even hardened gangsters are supposed to quake in their boots at the very mention of his name....the father of the gangster who stole his car phones John Wick to try to pacify him....to no avail , but of course....

John has an entire armory stashed inside his house---everything from the latest pistols to modern telescopic sighted long range rifles to hand grenades are available to him....

The Russian mafia sends in men to kill John before he can kill them....
And do I even have to tell you that the legendary John Wick is waiting for them to strike and is all prepared....

Mayhem follows of course , and again---do I even have tell you that John Wick succeeds in killing all his would be assassins....after all , he has to live up to all the aura that the director has built around him....

The effect of the aura doesn't stop there---body bag disposal squads are waiting to dispose all dead bodies , and do so without batting an eyelid.....apparently they have seen John Wick carry out similar mayhems before and to them this seems to be regular stuff that John does....
Even the friendly neighborhood policeman comes dropping in , and leaves probably realizing what has happened---he does not have the guts to dare to search the house , for no one trifles with John Wick....

So what happens when John finally decides to go to the heavily guarded nightclub where the target of his legendary wrath is hiding ?? More mayhem of course....

Does John get his revenge ?? Do I even need to answer that....
Question is , does he get his revenge in style....??

For the answer to the second question , watch the movie....

The movie seems like a shooting game that has been heavily fixed so that bullets fired by John Wick's enemies generally don't find their target ( though they sometimes do ) , but John's bullets unerringly find their mark....all slam bang action....
And even when John has been caught and tied up , the bad guys' head honcho wastes his time giving rambling talks to John---does not just dispatch John with one bullet on his head....
When John escapes and attacks the bad guys' car , the head honcho does not mind chuckling to appreciate John's fighting skills..... 
Even the marksman hired by the russians for killing John ( played by Willem Dafoe ) seems to be more interested in protecting John than killing him....

The whole film self mocks itself throughout , as if it is telling the audience---don't take us seriously....
Needless to say , dead bodies pile up like anything , enough to keep an undertaker busy for weeks....
And inspite of all the violence that has been unleashed , where is the police ?? It practically doesn't exist in the movie....

So anything goes---a pile of destruction is created....
And amidst all this , the concierge at the hotel that he stays in ( it's for gangsters only ) receives John with a dead pan expression every time he comes back after unleashing a massacre---all this is daily stuff for the concierge , especially from John . Of course , the concierge does not mind adding some extra amount to John's bill when some of the killing happens in John's suite and the hotel has to do the cleaning up....

Now if you want to see more of this nonsense you can see this movie , but I am not recommending it....

Keanu Reeves does act okay , but the Russian mafia leader seemed more funny than menacing---for the task of creating menace was left to John....

But all his attempt at creating menace didn't impress me---I left the theater disappointed....so will you too I guess....

Verdict---Don't bother to watch this movie .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Ashdoc's movie review---John Wick Empty Re: Ashdoc's movie review---John Wick

Post by Hellsangel Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:36 pm

This was one of the most stylish movies recently made. Kind of reminds you of John Woo.

Rotten Tomatoes' ratings  don't agree with your review.

I think Peter Travers' review was spot on.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Hellsangel
Hellsangel