Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

glad i was able to take all this in more than fifteen years ago.

3 posters

Go down

glad i was able to take all this in more than fifteen years ago. Empty glad i was able to take all this in more than fifteen years ago.

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:09 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/us/climate-change-threatens-to-strip-the-identity-of-glacier-national-park.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

glad i was able to take all this in more than fifteen years ago. Empty Re: glad i was able to take all this in more than fifteen years ago.

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:04 am

I'm increasingly put off by the sheer shrillness of the climate-change breast-beaters.

Worst of all, the gall of a bunch of people who emit 17 tonnes of CO2 per capita to lecture us, who emit one tenth of that, on how we should forsake all economic development and continue to fester in our poverty, for the good of all mankind, all based on some tenuous linkages and broken models.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

glad i was able to take all this in more than fifteen years ago. Empty Re: glad i was able to take all this in more than fifteen years ago.

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:20 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I'm increasingly put off by the sheer shrillness of the climate-change breast-beaters.

Worst of all, the gall of a bunch of people who emit 17 tonnes of CO2 per capita to lecture us, who emit one tenth of that, on how we should forsake all economic development and continue to fester in our poverty, for the good of all mankind, all based on some tenuous linkages and broken models.

looks like you didn't even click on the article. i didn't see the word CO2 mentioned even once. it was just a description of the ecological effects wrought by climate change on glacier national park, which IMO is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. as for CO2, we have discussed this sporadically before, and it appears you remain unconvinced. the climate change breast beaters as you like to call them, at least have the humility to talk about climate change and the effects of CO2 in terms of probability models, unlike the jim inhofes of the world who are cocksure. in any case at least in the US, those who are on your side of this debate are the ones who hold the purse strings no matter how much obama like to rant and rave about this. so i expect no change.

here is another thought -- i am with you on any developed country lecturing india, but if the science is validated, i.e. validated to your satisfaction, the people who are most likely going to be affected first and before anyone else are people who live closest to nature, people who depend on glacier waters in the himalayas, and people whose living spaces are being consumed by the sea. they are more likely to be in the poorest places on the planet.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:30 am

Haha..I read the article. I was commenting on the sub-text of such articles and actually responding to another article a few days ago where the NYT specifically held up India as the holdout to a global deal on emission caps. I was too lazy to google the link to that, so vented out my outrage as a comment to your post. I didn't mean at all to belittle the tragedy befalling Glacier National Park Smile
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:17 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:I'm increasingly put off by the sheer shrillness of the climate-change breast-beaters.

looks like you didn't even click on the article. i didn't see the word CO2 mentioned even once.  it was just a description of the ecological effects wrought by climate change on glacier national park, which IMO is one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  as for CO2, we have discussed this sporadically before, and it appears you remain unconvinced. the climate change breast beaters as you like to call them, at least have the humility to talk about climate change and the effects of CO2 in terms of probability models, unlike the jim inhofes of the world who are cocksure.  in any case at least in the US, those who are on your side of this debate are the ones who hold the purse strings no matter how much obama like to rant and rave about this. so i expect no change.  

here is another thought -- i am with you on any developed country lecturing india, but if the science is validated, i.e. validated to your satisfaction, the people who are most likely going to be affected first and before anyone else are people who live closest to nature, people who depend on glacier waters in the himalayas, and people whose living spaces are being consumed by the sea. they are more likely to be in the poorest places on the planet.  

This is a standard argument of people who dont believe in climate change. Unfortunately, it will be countries like India, SE Asia and the middle east and Africa that will suffer the worst.

We just have to wait for 30 years to see the effect of the Chinkus diverting our major rivers and the retreating himalayan glaciers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:21 am

....Here it is just as I finished my previous post.... They used to deny 10 years ago, then admitted to building just one dam and now they are on to multiple dams. Dams are the first thing you build to divert the river downstream into a number of branches. Expect the drying up of Brahmaputra and the Mekong (which already is). Ruskies did this drying up of Arral Sea in just 15 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down