Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please do not feed the protesters

3 posters

Go down

Please do not feed the protesters Empty Please do not feed the protesters

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 am

My favorite humor columnist so accurately captures the reason for my angst:

"Please Do Not Feed the Protesters

As someone who lives and breathes the news (especially if the words ‘wardrobe malfunction’ are involved) I have spent the last few weeks submerged under a wave of reports about ‘A New India’ – one that gets its jollies from watching an old man carry out the most boring suicide attempt ever.

You may have guessed by now that I’m not exactly an Anna supporter. This automatically makes me a vile, anti-national criminal who always cheers for the English team in Lagaan.

The problem is that Indians are an emotional lot, and that the average supporter’s idea of patriotism is like the average Sindhi’s idea of a good shirt – the louder, the better. This is what an interview with your friendly neighbourhood chest-thumper sounds like:

Journalist: So tell us, what exactly are your views on the JanLokPal Bill?

Protester: AAARGHH!! CONGRESS SUCKS!! INQUILAAB! AZAADI! SIMON GO BACK!

Journalist: Alright, but what are the provisions of the Bill?

Protester: OYE! RANG DE BASANTI! AAMIR KHAN! SHARMAN JOSHI! AND THAT MADRASI FELLOW!

Journalist: Do you even understand the implications of -

Protester: THIS IS ALL FAULT OF MIDDIA! ARNAB HAI HAI!

Journalist: Actually, I’m with you on that last one.

Like it or not, this affair at Ramlila Maidan is the closest we’ll ever come to Woodstock. This is the event we’ll tell our grandkids about, after which they’ll rip out our pacemakers with their bare hands...."
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Please do not feed the protesters Empty Re: Please do not feed the protesters

Post by Another Brick Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 am

and that the average supporter’s idea of patriotism is like the average Sindhi’s idea of a good shirt – the louder, the better.

hahaha.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 am

Oh, the irony of the appreciative comments on that blog (not unlike Merlot's on this thread)! How are all the "epic! I am dying laughing! brilliant" commentors who are jizzing their pants while reading that blog any different from Anna's supporters? Anna's supporters are shouting in loud shirts and those guys are jizzing in classy well-tailored pants, is that it? Gimme a break!

The bitter truth is that people are not left with any other option to change the corrupt system in India. Every democratic system and legal process available in India has roundly failed in curbing corruption. It is debatable how effective the Lokpal bill will be. Personally, I am very cynical and pessimistic about it myself. But at least those protesters are trying something. What are the guys who write such blogs, who comment on them, and who discuss them on forums like this doing? Giving each other hand jobs in online blog comments and snickering at 'average emotional Indians'?

If their sisters were harassed by roadside goondas and some average Indian with sincere intentions and a good heart protested against it, would these guys be pointing their fingers at the average Indian's loud shirt and unsophisticated protests, and giggling like silly girls?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down