Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World's Best Dosa

+9
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
Vakavaka Pakapaka
confuzzled dude
MaxEntropy_Man
bw
Seva Lamberdar
Hellsangel
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The World's Best Dosa - Page 2 Empty Re: The World's Best Dosa

Post by Bittu Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 pm

OP, I have not interacted with you much but if this is the kind of content you post.....lawl

Going by the enthusiastic replies, this kind of content is appreciated here...lawl x 100

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:32 pm

BW,

You avoided answering my question by using "I" and "some".  That is just for my cultural curiosity. 

NI's learnt to consume sambar from SI intellectuals who traveled to north (kolkatta and later to Delhi to serve the british).

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:06 pm

truthbetold wrote:BW,

You avoided answering my question by using "I" and "some".  That is just for my cultural curiosity. 

NI's learnt to consume sambar from SI intellectuals who traveled to north (kolkatta and later to Delhi to serve the british).

tbt, honestly, i don't know if most tamilians eat dosais with a ton of sambaar. most folks in my family don't *need* sambar when eating dosais - they eat it with molagapodi(gun powder?), chutney at times and sometimes, with sambar, if any around.

several north indians i know cannot eat dosai unless it is stuffed with potatoes and served with a lot of sambaar. in fact, many of them used to ask for extra sambaar at the restaurants and i used to ask them to order a bucket of sambaar.

in any case, the point of my flippant post was the pronunciation of 'sambaar'. most north indians i know say "saaaamber" instead of "saambAr".

on another note, i love the dosa/dosai discussion on SUCH and never get tired of it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:07 pm

bw wrote:

tbt, honestly, i don't know if most tamilians eat dosais with a ton of sambaar. most folks in my family don't *need* sambar when eating dosais - they eat it with molagapodi(gun powder?), chutney at times and sometimes, with sambar, if any around.

several north indians i know cannot eat dosai unless it is stuffed with potatoes and served with a lot of sambaar. in fact, many of them used to ask for extra sambaar at the restaurants and i used to ask them to order a bucket of sambaar.

in any case, the point of my flippant post was the pronunciation of 'sambaar'. most north indians i know say "saaaamber" instead of "saambAr".

on another note, i love the dosa/dosai discussion on SUCH and never get tired of it.

a) ditto.
b) glad to be of assistance.

haha @ saamber; rhymes with amber. so if you had that at the well known mountainview restaurant, you'd be having saamber at amber.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:57 pm

OK....lemme:

BW is a pseudo Tamil...Razz

Tamilans (and even most Southies) dont slurp smabar by glass. Hotels give a small cup of sambar and an equally small cup with Chutney. Some hotels - the Gowrisankar in CBE give 2 idles in a small plate immersed in sambar - if you ask for idly sambar. But, no one asks or gulps sambar by the glass. That is a typical ill-informed, Naarthie trait.

Oh, Masala Dosai is also a Naarthie trit. Southies rarely go for masala dosai. They go for onion roast, Ghee roast, family roast.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:03 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

P.S. I have decided to boycott Sarva Anava Bavan for calling Dosai a form of crepe.

they should change their name to "sarvan taaj bhavan"

basmati monkeys?

The World's Best Dosa - Page 2 Monkey10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:08 pm

bw wrote:

P.S. I have decided to boycott Sarva Anava Bavan for calling Dosai a form of crepe.

they should change their name to "sarvan taaj bhavan"

basmati monkeys?

The World's Best Dosa - Page 2 Monkey10

They meant bhanDAr (भंडार), treasury.

Sad that the symbol of (H)India is a tomb.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:18 pm

there is an indian restaurant we frequent for lunch buffets run by a telugu couple. as part of the buffet, i like it that they serve dosais plainly with a choice of sambar and at least three different chutneys - coconut, tomato, and onion to choose from. their dosais are always the way i like it, neither super crisp (which i hate) nor soggy and of a normal home made size. not the enormous variety that sticks out of your plate. they provide the potato-onion goop for the potato hounds separately. another plus -- they completely separate non-veg and veg items in different areas.  they truly understand what being vegetarian means.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:24 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

oh, i ordered "puttu kadala" and "appam stew" hoping to get some authentic kerala dishes. they served the puttu with chole instead of the proper kadala curry and appam with kurma. bleh!

the north indian woman i was with was also disappointed since she wanted to eat authentic SI stuff.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:40 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

oh, i ordered "puttu kadala" and "appam stew" hoping to get some authentic kerala dishes. they served the puttu with chole instead of the proper kadala curry and appam with kurma. bleh!

the north indian woman i was with was also disappointed since she wanted to eat authentic SI stuff.

Oh wait... this shitty Saravana Bhavan is located where ?...???

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:19 am

Bittu wrote:OP, I have not interacted with you much but if this is the kind of content you post.....lawl

Going by the enthusiastic replies, this kind of content is appreciated here...lawl x 100
Yeah, bekaar thread Bittu. It's not even worth your attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is an indian restaurant we frequent for lunch buffets run by a telugu couple. as part of the buffet, i like it that they serve dosais plainly with a choice of sambar and at least three different chutneys - coconut, tomato, and onion to choose from. their dosais are always the way i like it, neither super crisp (which i hate) nor soggy and of a normal home made size. not the enormous variety that sticks out of your plate. they provide the potato-onion goop for the potato hounds separately. another plus -- they completely separate non-veg and veg items in different areas.  they truly understand what being vegetarian means.

Is this the joint on Rte 135 near Framingham station, on the way to the Ashland temple?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:26 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is an indian restaurant we frequent for lunch buffets run by a telugu couple. as part of the buffet, i like it that they serve dosais plainly with a choice of sambar and at least three different chutneys - coconut, tomato, and onion to choose from. their dosais are always the way i like it, neither super crisp (which i hate) nor soggy and of a normal home made size. not the enormous variety that sticks out of your plate. they provide the potato-onion goop for the potato hounds separately. another plus -- they completely separate non-veg and veg items in different areas.  they truly understand what being vegetarian means.

Is this the joint on Rte 135 near Framingham station, on the way to the Ashland temple?

no not that one. i know the place you mean, but haven't been there in many years. not sure if it still exists. this is further west off of route 9.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 am

How do you pronounce 'do-sais' ('dosais') .. 'do-says' or 'do-size'?

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

How do you pronounce 'do-sais' ('dosais') .. 'do-says' or 'do-size'?

seva - the hindi word for the number two + the greek symbol Ψ. say them together and you have dosai.
maybe the dosai is a northindian creation, because you put two ladles of batter together on the pan and each time it creates a hissing sound. do-sai. what do you think?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Oh, Masala Dosai is also a Naarthie trit. Southies rarely go for masala dosai. They go for onion roast, Ghee roast, family roast.
What is that 'Family roast'?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm

FluteHolder wrote:

It is huge almost 4 ft in diameter that a family of 4 can eat together. It works well for a couple with 2 or 3 kids of different ages.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:35 pm

FluteHolder wrote:

It is huge almost 4 ft in diameter that a family of 4 can eat together.   It works well for a couple with 2 or 3 kids of different ages.

why would they want to do that,? unless they are mental?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2