Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most expressive classical dance...

+3
pravalika nanda
confuzzled dude
Vakavaka Pakapaka
7 posters

Go down

The most expressive classical dance... Empty The most expressive classical dance...

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:05 pm

.....what else! It's Kuchipudi. Swami raa raa....enjoy this Krishna shabdam

Back to top Go down

The most expressive classical dance... Empty Re: The most expressive classical dance...

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:16 pm

One more....so beautiful and enchanting!

Back to top Go down

The most expressive classical dance... Empty Re: The most expressive classical dance...

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:23 pm

...continue to enjoy...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:38 pm

The popular Jathiswaram. Performed by boys this time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Indeed. It is not only very expressive, it is the oldest in South India (13th century as opposed to 16th for Kathakali and early 18th for the current form of Bharatanatyam). Bharatanatyam, fortunately acquired the old name and its proponents peddle that it was started by Bharata muni. Well, all classical dances should trace their origins to Bharata muni.

Incidentally, Tanjavore was fortunate that artists from nearby areas (mainly from Andhra) moved there since the rulers (they were not Tamils - Nayakas and Marathas) fostered arts. Those who made bharatanatyam famous in Sarabhoji's court, were also not all Tamils. Chinnayya, Ponnaiah and Sivanandam had Telugu background.

Kuchipudi was originally used for stage plays. So, abhinayam, bhangimas as well as mudras were important. Bhamakalapam became famous.........

Now that AP is a state of its own, hopefully, Telugus take pride in supporting this great dance form.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Indeed. It is not only very expressive, it is the oldest in South India (13th century as opposed to 16th for Kathakali and early 18th for the current form of Bharatanatyam). Bharatnatyam, fortunately acquired the old name and its proponents peddle that it was started by Bharata muni. Well, all classical dances should trace their origins to Bharata muni.

Incidentally, Tanjavore was fortunate that artists from nearby areas (mainly from Andhra) moved there since the rulers (they were not Tamils - Nayakas and Marathas) fostered arts. Those who made bharatanatyam famous in Sarabhoji's court, were also not all Tamils. Chinnyaa, Ponnaiah and Sivanandam had Telugu background.

Kuchipudi was originally used for stage plays. So, abhinayam, bhangimas as well as mudras were important. Bhamakalapam became famous.........

Now that AP is a state of its own, hopefully, Telugus take pride in supporting this great dance form.

Thanks for posting.
scratch

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Just trying to make Max mad.

LOL.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:06 pm

ya that's why (from its origins of being street plays, Kuchipudi bhagavatalu) Kuchipudi is performed as ballets too and as group numbers. Bharatanatyam doesn't have that. 

Ya, heard that Vempati chinna satyam garu used to play women's roles as women weren't performing in those days, his Satyabhama role being famous in Bhamakalapam.

I am looking for a good Thillana on youtube, but not very impressed by any yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Kinnera wrote:One more....so beautiful and enchanting!

i've watched the krishna sabdam before and i didn't like her expresssions.  i think she did a rather nice job with the narthana ganapathim, lots of potential for greatness, i think. a pretty figure, nice dress and aabharanalu. thank you. But Kinnera, so many dances in one day? will people survive this onslaught of the telugus?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:50 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

i've watched the krishna sabdam before and i didn't like her expresssions.  i think she did a rather nice job with the narthana ganapathim, lots of potential for greatness, i think. a pretty figure, nice dress and aabharanalu. thank you. But Kinnera, so many dances in one day? will people survive this onslaught of the telugus
ha ha sorry. I just got into the mood. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Just trying to make Max mad.
Ya, ee arava vaallaki orvaleni tanam ekkuva. They are not as magnanimous as the telugus.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:58 pm

o d I s s I

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:05 pm

swapna wrote:o d I s s I

oh sure, what do they use for sedation?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Ya, odissi is good too. Glad you came out of your boundary and appreciating it. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:50 am

Kinnera wrote:
Ya, odissi is good too. Glad you came out of your boundary and appreciating it. lol!

I notice that you're still mired in yours.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 am

swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Really? Are you sure it is her? Just use the mirror!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

If I did, I'd see a malayalee who spoke fluent thamizh and malayalam, and has a deep appreciation of carnatic music, bharathanatiyam, and odissi, among other art forms. I would say that I like the malayalee kathakaLi if I actually did, but I don't.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:22 am

I would say (IMHO), the best expression of emotions/finesse is in Odissi. Though Odissi is mostly slower pace compared to BN. I have not seen much Kuchipudi performances.

I was able to watch some of this artist's performance live in an Austin Temple few years ago. Excellent.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:53 pm

once, maybe just once in my life, I want to put on kajal  like these BN/etc dancers... If they started making readymade kajal strips or something, it would help, but I don't want to try it myself as I don't know how to apply kajal. I know I will look deathly scary coz my eyes are small, asymmetrical (one is more cattish than the other), and plain stark ugly, so highlighting them with kajal or any eye makeup is usually not such a bright idea. But I wanna try, just for the heck of it.

talking of dancing, I had an abba playlist on last night, and was dancing around the kitchen (imagining I am on stage for an upcoming event). son goes, 'what's up with you? that song sounds old, is it from the 90s?' Sad I said, still dancing, 'nope, 70s'. He exclaimed 70s, like it was a black-and-white era, sorta how we imagined our parents. They do get regular dose of old music, and older has all 70s hindi songs in her playlist, but he is still learning...

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:15 pm

swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

If I did, I'd see a malayalee who spoke fluent thamizh and malayalam, and has a deep appreciation of carnatic music, bharathanatiyam, and odissi, among other art forms. I would say that I like the malayalee kathakaLi if I actually did, but I don't.
Kathakali is not the only classical form of dance from Kerala. Try watching Mohiniyattam. It is a more comprehensive dance form than Odissi (and is older than Bharatanatyam).  Odissi is not classified under the South Indian systems.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Odissi is not classified under the South Indian systems.

tell me how that's relevant.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:51 pm

swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Odissi is not classified under the South Indian systems.

You may be right. It is not relevant to you.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:

You may be right. It is not relevant to you.
LOL! He won't get your sarcasm. He fell flat in the other thread as veeu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:11 pm

swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Sucking up to tamils, which you always do as everyone here knows, doesn't amount to getting out of your hole...er boundary. I am glad you are appreciating something other than Bharadhanattiyam for whatever reasons. I don't care about the reasons. Yes, Odissi is a beautiful and very ancient dance form and very expressive too, like Kuchipudi.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Sucking up to tamils, which you always do as everyone here knows, doesn't amount to getting out of your hole...er boundary. I am glad you are appreciating something other than Bharadhanattiyam for whatever reasons. I don't care about the reasons. Yes, Odissi is a beautiful and very ancient dance form and very expressive too, like Kuchipudi.

woman, odissi is not tamil, and it wouldn't matter to me if it were.

here, briefly, is the moral of your story:

art + anger + insecurity + insularity = trash + pain;

art + courage to explore unfamiliar territory + awareness of what one likes = beauty + pleasure.

hth.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 pm

swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:

art + courage to explore unfamiliar territory + awareness of what one likes = beauty + pleasure.

hth.

How nice! May be, spread the wisdom to Kayal Vizhi, Wacko and other DKheads.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

hth.

How nice! May be, spread the wisdom to Kayal Vizhi, Wacko and other DKheads.

that's your job. do it yourself.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:28 am

swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:

hth.

The most expressive classical dance... 1-36353-showerdrape-tau-vanity-mirror-1364-zoom

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:40 pm

i have never been to an actual odissi recital, but have been watching a few performances on youtube lately after you mentioned this. you definitely have a point. it's got a completely different aesthetic than BN, but it is visually very appealing -- a lot of neLinjification that's not at all a part of BN.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Indeed. It is not only very expressive, it is the oldest in South India (13th century as opposed to 16th for Kathakali and early 18th for the current form of Bharatanatyam). Bharatanatyam, fortunately acquired the old name and its proponents peddle that it was started by Bharata muni. Well, all classical dances should trace their origins to Bharata muni.

i am sorry, but who exactly are these "proponents who peddle" the idea that it was started by bharata muni? the only person who does this AFAIK on this board at least is rashmun. he does this despite my painstaking posts in earlier threads that the name bharathanatyam is of recent origin (early 20th century), coined by establishment brahmins who decided to take it upon themselves to "clean up" chathir (or chattirattam), the devadasis' temple dance, to make it palatable for their daughters to pursue it.

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Incidentally, Tanjavore was fortunate that artists from nearby areas (mainly from Andhra) moved there since the rulers (they were not Tamils - Nayakas and Marathas) fostered arts. Those who made bharatanatyam famous in Sarabhoji's court, were also not all Tamils. Chinnayya, Ponnaiah and Sivanandam had Telugu background.

that is interesting! i'd like to read more about the tanjore quartet's telugu background. it wouldn't surprise me since there was significant exchange and interactions between tamil, telugu, and marathi scholars and artistes of that era. if they are indeed of a telugu background as you say, it is interesting that they chose an entirely tamil/sanskritic vocabulary to describe the grammar and basic modules of BN, and that they chose a nearly exclusive repertoire of tamil krithis that even today form the core of BN. yes i am well aware that there are many javaLis and some padams in telugu and in the more modern version, people have choreographed pieces from nearly ever indian language.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:54 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Indeed. It is not only very expressive, it is the oldest in South India (13th century as opposed to 16th for Kathakali and early 18th for the current form of Bharatanatyam). Bharatanatyam, fortunately acquired the old name and its proponents peddle that it was started by Bharata muni. Well, all classical dances should trace their origins to Bharata muni.

Incidentally, Tanjavore was fortunate that artists from nearby areas (mainly from Andhra) moved there since the rulers (they were not Tamils - Nayakas and Marathas) fostered arts. Those who made bharatanatyam famous in Sarabhoji's court, were also not all Tamils. Chinnayya, Ponnaiah and Sivanandam had Telugu background.

Thanks for posting.

But, then Andhra, Telengana, Kuchipudi and IndiaNatyam all came from Tamilnadu as they were all part of Tamil and Tamil Naadu at some time back.

Kuchi pudi itself is a tamil word. So there you go...

ThamizhillaiyaEl Onrum illai

(if there is no tamil, then there exists nothing).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Thanks for posting.

But, then Andhra, Telengana, Kuchipudi and IndiaNatyam all came from Tamilnadu as they were all part of Tamil and Tamil Naadu at some time back.

Kuchi pudi itself is a tamil word.  So there you go...

excuse me, uppili, do you have a more reliable source that the distal end of your alimentary tract? kuchipudi is a town in andhra pradesh, my brother-in-law's parents are from kuchipudi. kuchelapuram is noted as the city from where kuchipudi comes and it too is in krishna district in AP.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:45 pm

excuse me, uppili, do you have a more reliable source that the distal end of your alimentary tract? kuchipudi is a town in andhra pradesh, my brother-in-law's parents are from kuchipudi. kuchelapuram is noted as the city from where kuchipudi comes and it too is in krishna district in AP.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down