Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the pilot who locked himself in the cockpit, pieceful????

+4
southindian
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
8 posters

Go down

Is the pilot who locked himself in the cockpit, pieceful???? Empty Is the pilot who locked himself in the cockpit, pieceful????

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:21 pm

...... Is this similar to 9/11? Who is involved - ISIS, Al Qaeda, a nut case.......???

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/pilot-of-crash-plane-was-locked-out-of-cockpit-report/article1-1330661.aspx

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Is the pilot who locked himself in the cockpit, pieceful???? Empty Re: Is the pilot who locked himself in the cockpit, pieceful????

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:...... Is this similar to 9/11?  Who is involved - ISIS, Al Qaeda, a nut case.......???

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/pilot-of-crash-plane-was-locked-out-of-cockpit-report/article1-1330661.aspx

not 9/11, but that egyptair crash from many years ago.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Is the pilot who locked himself in the cockpit, pieceful???? Empty Re: Is the pilot who locked himself in the cockpit, pieceful????

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:56 pm

EgyptAir 990

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:08 am

"Andreas Lubitz, the 28-year-old co-pilot "

Thank God he was just a crazy guy and not a Muslim.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:44 pm

i'm so sorry i bothered to read the papers today. everything is so freakin depresssing: plane crash, building on fire in the village. people spending cash to rebury king richard iii who died 500 yrs ago after his bones were found under a parking lot. cumberbatch was at the event. dea officials sleeping around with prostitutes supplied by columbian drug cartels. some of these stories i read twice just because i wasn't sure if it was a spoof or a joke or a parody.

at least when i was listening to the plane crash story there were a lot of pleasant french accents.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:12 pm

can you believe the salary for pilots is only about 150k to 200k per year?? this is a stressful job with so much responsibility. how can they be so underpaid?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:43 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:can you believe the salary for pilots is only about 150k to 200k per year?? this is a stressful job with so much responsibility. how can they be so underpaid?

in the US average salaries are far less than that. not sure where you're getting this range from. and for the guys who fly the small subsidiary airlines, the salaries are pathetic. i've heard of 30 to 50 k. the airlines don't pay for their hotel rooms when they have an overnight layover in a transit city, so they sleep in their cars. it's a dog's life. the ones who work for the big international carriers have a more comfortable life.

this crash is a little hard to understand and make sense of. what would compel a young guy with a decent career to go out and do something like this? even harder to understand when one generally thinks of germans as some of the most calm, organized, and rational people in the world.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:can you believe the salary for pilots is only about 150k to 200k per year?? this is a stressful job with so much responsibility. how can they be so underpaid?

in the US average salaries are far less than that. not sure where you're getting this range from. and for the guys who fly the small subsidiary airlines, the salaries are pathetic. i've heard of 30 to 50 k. the airlines don't pay for their hotel rooms when they have an overnight layover in a transit city, so they sleep in their cars. it's a dog's life. the ones who work for the big international carriers have a more comfortable life.

this crash is a little hard to understand and make sense of. what would compel a young guy with a decent career to go out and do something like this? even harder to understand when one generally thinks of germans as some of the most calm, organized, and rational people in the world.
no, i also came across those numbers 30-50K that you are talking about. i just didn't think it could be real so i didn't even process that information. maybe they do internships and that is a stipend? you know, those numbers don't make sense otherwise.

so i just looked at the numbers for large profitable commercial airlines, people with experience - senior pilots and captains and even that in my view is far too low.
it really cannot be that easy to fly a plane. i always imagined they were getting 500k annually.

the crash is sad, but he's also at a perfect age for schizophrenia or bipolar to manifest. on top of this bad hours, stinky pay.

i'm on the oppsite end of the spectrum with regard to the germans. i find them cold and unsympathetic. these are the people who gassed 6 million jews and destroyed the lives of millions of others. these guys are "efficient" like that. what surprises me is that they missed his mental illness on screening. that's alarming.
and i don't know if you remember this but when mh370 happened i proposed this possibility of lavatory breaks as one way an unstable pilot could take advantage of the situation and crash a plane. you see now?

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:15 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

i'm on the oppsite end of the spectrum with regard to the germans. i find them cold and unsympathetic. these are the people who gassed 6 million jews and destroyed the lives of millions of others. these guys are "efficient" like that. what surprises me is that they missed his mental illness on screening. that's alarming.
and i don't know if you remember this but when mh370 happened i proposed this possibility of lavatory breaks as one way an unstable pilot could take advantage of the situation and crash a plane. you see now?

in my experience that's a cliche. in a previous life, i worked for a large german conglomerate in their R&D division. my job was in the US, but i spent significant periods of time (a month to a month and a half every time) twice every year in germany. the folks i worked with were hardcore physical science and engineering people. they treated me with great warmth and hospitality. they didn't have to do this, but every evening somebody from the team would swing by my hotel and take me out for drinks and dinner at a nice restaurant. they knew i loved my beer (so did they) and so the conversation was always easy. with most of these folks once you get past the initial reserve they were really nice. it probably helped that nearly all of the folks i dealt with were seriously technical folks just like myself, and not upper management.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:19 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051301848.html

Under questioning from the board, Mary Colgan Finnigan, Colgan's vice president for administration, confirmed that Rebecca Shaw, co-pilot of the fatal flight, drew an annual salary of about $16,200. The board also said that Shaw once held a second job in a coffee shop while working as a pilot for the airline in Norfolk.
Asked whether Colgan expected Shaw to live in the expensive New York area, near her base in Newark, Finnegan responded: "Pilots are told what the pay scales are. Our pay scales are within the industry standard."
Later, asked whether Colgan made cost-of-living adjustments to assist employees in expensive areas, Harry Mitchel, Colgan's vice president of flight operations, said no program existed for pilots. But, he added, Colgan had such a policy for managers.
The testimony offered a rare, behind-the-scenes look into the regional airline world, which has grown as major airlines contract out service to small cities. Colgan, which is a unit of Memphis-basedPinnacle Airlines, was operating the Buffalo flight as a regional partner of Continental Airlines.
According to the Regional Airline Association, 74 percent of the nation's 640 airports with scheduled airline service are served only by regional airlines. There are 70 regional airlines in the United States. Pilot jobs at the airlines are often considered entry-level jobs in the industry. Mitchel acknowledged that Colgan jobs were a "stepping stone" to higher-paying positions at bigger airlines.
Pilots who work for major carriers flying large jet planes earn about $125,000 a year on average. Colgan, which has about 430 pilots, said the average salary is $67,000 for the captain of one of its Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 planes, the turboprop jet involved in the Buffalo crash. The average pay for a co-pilot is $24,000.
The safety board also delved into the commutes of regional airline pilots. According to the NTSB, 93 of Colgan's 137 Newark-based pilots identified themselves as commuters, including 49 who commute more than 400 miles and 29 who live more than 1,000 miles away.
Both pilots in the crash were based at Colgan's Newark office but lived elsewhere. Often, pilots commute by using privileges afforded to them by informal agreements among airlines that allow nonworking pilots to sit in a crew-only jump seat, or an open seat, at little or no cost.
Shaw, 24, had a cross-country commute. She and her husband lived with her parents in Seattle. The day before the accident, she left Seattle on an overnight FedEx flight. She arrived in Newark at 6:30 a.m. after a changeover in Memphis. The board has said Shaw sent numerous text messages through the day, an indication that she wasn't getting adequate rest. After a delay because of wind, the flight left for Buffalo at 9:18 p.m.
Marvin Renslow, 47, arrived in Newark from Tampa three days before the flight. He was observed sleeping in the airline's crew lounge, a practice forbidden by the airline, according to the NTSB.
The board has said it has found no evidence that either had accommodations in Newark.
Kathryn O. Higgins, an NTSB board member, called the long-distance commuting, crew-room sleeping and other fatigue-related factors "a recipe for an accident and that's what we have here."
She continued, "Where does that all come together for somebody to say, 'Wait a minute. What is going on here?' "
Colgan officials said the airline has made a number of policy improvements, including strengthening one that limits the pairing of inexperienced pilots in the cockpit. Colgan is in discussions with its pilots union on flight and duty time rules and commuting policies.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

in my experience that's a cliche. in a previous life, i worked for a large german conglomerate in their R&D division. my job was in the US, but i spent significant periods of time (a month to a month and a half every time) twice every year in germany. the folks i worked with were hardcore physical science and engineering people. they treated me with great warmth and hospitality. they didn't have to do this, but every evening somebody from the team would swing by my hotel and take me out for drinks and dinner at a nice restaurant. they knew i loved my beer (so did they) and so the conversation was always easy. with most of these folks once you get past the initial reserve they were really nice. it probably helped that nearly all of the folks i dealt with were seriously technical folks just like myself, and not upper management.
oh, i'm glad to know you had a much better experience with them.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:07 pm

The high Plane driver salaries are long gone. Those were the Union days. When airlines merged and merged and merged, union rights were curbed and clubbed. And the new recruits since the 90s dont belong to unions and hence are worked like dogs for a much less salary by the Ivy-league Looters who run these airlines.

*Have an experienced 777 /767 pilot in the family.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:38 pm

FluteHolder wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051301848.html

Under questioning from the board, Mary Colgan Finnigan, Colgan's vice president for administration, confirmed that Rebecca Shaw, co-pilot of the fatal flight, drew an annual salary of about $16,200. The board also said that Shaw once held a second job in a coffee shop while working as a pilot for the airline in Norfolk.

Pilot jobs at the airlines are often considered entry-level jobs in the industry. Mitchel acknowledged that Colgan jobs were a "stepping stone" to higher-paying positions at bigger airlines.
Pilots who work for major carriers flying large jet planes earn about $125,000 a year on average. Colgan, which has about 430 pilots, said the average salary is $67,000 for the captain of one of its Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 planes, the turboprop jet involved in the Buffalo crash. The average pay for a co-pilot is $24,000.
The safety board also delved into the commutes of regional airline pilots. According to the NTSB, 93 of Colgan's 137 Newark-based pilots identified themselves as commuters, including 49 who commute more than 400 miles and 29 who live more than 1,000 miles away.
Both pilots in the crash were based at Colgan's Newark office but lived elsewhere. Often, pilots commute by using privileges afforded to them by informal agreements among airlines that allow nonworking pilots to sit in a crew-only jump seat, or an open seat, at little or no cost.
Shaw, 24, had a cross-country commute. She and her husband lived with her parents in Seattle. The day before the accident, she left Seattle on an overnight FedEx flight. She arrived in Newark at 6:30 a.m. after a changeover in Memphis. The board has said Shaw sent numerous text messages through the day, an indication that she wasn't getting adequate rest. After a delay because of wind, the flight left for Buffalo at 9:18 p.m.
Marvin Renslow, 47, arrived in Newark from Tampa three days before the flight. He was observed sleeping in the airline's crew lounge, a practice forbidden by the airline, according to the NTSB.
The board has said it has found no evidence that either had accommodations in Newark.
Kathryn O. Higgins, an NTSB board member, called the long-distance commuting, crew-room sleeping and other fatigue-related factors "a recipe for an accident and that's what we have here."
She continued, "Where does that all come together for somebody to say, 'Wait a minute. What is going on here?' "
** this pilot probably got pissed off and crashed the plane into the alps. they need to talk about this topic more in the news.

** it's quite awful that they should be treated like this and yet are expected to perform at an elite level. a lot of these people in administrative positions with seated jobs are just puffed-up and lazy and need a tight slap in the face. they have zero understanding of what it's like to be in the field and in the air there's really no back-up personnel.

** and if pilots are getting so little, what about stewardesses?? sounds like it's better to work in mcd's or starbucks or even just sit at home and collect SS and unemployment benefits.

** actually my cleaning lady had mentioned that she previously was a stewardess at united airlines. i just blew it off.

** I think from now I will tip the pilot at the end of my trip. I just want to do my part.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:47 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
** I think from now I will tip the pilot at the end of my trip. I just want to do my part.

Hahaha...Pravu, first start tipping those poor Messicans who deliver your dinner in pouring rains, without thinking uncharitable thoughts about the legality of their presence in the US and the size of their families.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 am

southindian wrote:"Andreas Lubitz, the 28-year-old co-pilot "

Thank God he was just a crazy guy and not a Muslim.

Ya, thank God! Those 150 folks on the plane and their relatives are so grateful for this mercy.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:06 am

>>>The smaller airlines pay a lot less from what I understand.  Even with the bigger airlines, one of the trends is to fly in foreign countries like the Emirates where the pay is more generous. In any event, this must be a stressful job with being on the road quite a bit.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Hahaha...Pravu, first start tipping those poor Messicans who deliver your dinner in pouring rains, without thinking uncharitable thoughts about the legality of their presence in the US and the size of their families.
oh merlot, haven't you heard? I purchase and cook my own food  ever since I started my lifetime diet and now I don't deal with any more delivery people. the faces they'd make at me. ugh. if you knew how much money i was saving by eating in, you'd be very jealous. on the other hand someone like you who flies a lot should think about tipping pilots for your own personal safety. you might even want to tip the stewardess since you're so kind-hearted.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down