Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

grace under ultimate tragedy and loss

4 posters

Go down

grace under ultimate tragedy and loss Empty grace under ultimate tragedy and loss

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:46 am

one family's answer to the "what will you do if your loved one is taken away" question:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/04/16/end-anguish-drop-death-penalty/ocQLejp8H2vesDavItHIEN/story.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

grace under ultimate tragedy and loss Empty Re: grace under ultimate tragedy and loss

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:42 am

maybe i should have started another thread instead of diluting the emotions in this link....

you had posted a similar post during that lost airline time too. maybe such attitudes attract you because subconsciously you are trying to train yourself to behave similarly if any minor, or god forbid, major tragedy happens around you. or maybe you have seen people appreciate such a behavior and want to promote it. maybe that's a quest to become more civilized.

i have tried to think of this many times. when someone is going through a deep tragedy like the one above, does it really matter if they were able to display grace at some point, whether right after or two years later? what matters to me is the pain they felt, the new (or old) grief they are trying to adjust to, what are their thoughts, and if i can understand, empathize, or help them. Whether they were graceful expressing that, or whether they beat their chest out, or whether they broke things, the degree of pain that they feel within is still the same, and that's what that matters. It's not fair to comment whether one set is more respect-worthy than another in the same situation.

Likewise, if i am going through a tragedy, i don't want the tension if i should keep a hold of my bearings and display outwardly grace. if it happens, it'll be a natural me, maybe conditioned by my upbringing, or family, or national culture. whatever it is, it's my grief, whether i show it with courage, restrain, bitterness, or passion. (as long as i don't go out on a killing rampage or break law). That's what matters, not someone's judgement on how i portrayed it. 

there are my current thoughts that will churn and evolve more over time, and i will see if i can continue expressing that.

Back to top Go down

grace under ultimate tragedy and loss Empty Re: grace under ultimate tragedy and loss

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:22 am

The parents are pleading against the death penalty NOT for humanitarian reasons on behalf of the criminals BUT for their own benefit:

"As long as the defendant is in the spotlight, we have no choice but to live a story told on his terms, not ours. The minute the defendant fades from our newspapers and TV screens is the minute we begin the process of rebuilding our lives and our family."

Not bcz they think these bombers might be found innocent in some distant future, not because their crime does not deserve death penalty but bcz the story willlingness on with appeal after appeal affecting their own lives.

That is why in cases like THIS, the appeal process for death sentences should be short and quick.

Hey...we now even have nitrogen to execute. Just put these criminals under a mask and feed them Nitrogen gas from their Mercedes cars.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:52 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

The parents are pleading against the death penalty NOT for humanitarian reasons on behalf of the criminals BUT for their own benefit:

"As long as the defendant is in the spotlight, we have no choice but to live a story told on his terms, not ours. The minute the defendant fades from our newspapers and TV screens is the minute we begin the process of rebuilding our lives and our family."

Not bcz they think these bombers might be found innocent in some distant future, not because their crime does not deserve death penalty but bcz the story willlingness on with appeal after appeal affecting their own lives.

That is why in cases like THIS, the appeal process for death sentences should be short and quick.

Hey...we now even have nitrogen to execute. Just put these criminals under a mask and feed them Nitrogen gas from their Mercedes cars.
Ya, all that the parents want is a quick closure to this and not have it drag on forever, so they can move on in their lives. They don't want to be reminded and relive the horror over and over again.

The guy is 20 now. To be locked up for decades until the end of his life is horrible, maybe much worse than a quick death penalty. I once saw the guy (oslo?) who killed Dr. King on TV. He was so weak, old, with hands and legs chained. It was so depressing to see him. Horrible! That's no life to live. Life without parole sentencing is pretty brutal actually. It's least bit humanitarian. If the ones who are against death sentencing are under the illusion that they are the most humanitarian ppl on earth for opposing it, the news is that they ain't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:38 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:maybe i should have started another thread instead of diluting the emotions in this link....

you had posted a similar post during that lost airline time too. maybe such attitudes attract you because subconsciously you are trying to train yourself to behave similarly if any minor, or god forbid, major tragedy happens around you. or maybe you have seen people appreciate such a behavior and want to promote it. maybe that's a quest to become more civilized.

i have tried to think of this many times. when someone is going through a deep tragedy like the one above, does it really matter if they were able to display grace at some point, whether right after or two years later? what matters to me is the pain they felt, the new (or old) grief they are trying to adjust to, what are their thoughts, and if i can understand, empathize, or help them. Whether they were graceful expressing that, or whether they beat their chest out, or whether they broke things, the degree of pain that they feel within is still the same, and that's what that matters. It's not fair to comment whether one set is more respect-worthy than another in the same situation.

Likewise, if i am going through a tragedy, i don't want the tension if i should keep a hold of my bearings and display outwardly grace. if it happens, it'll be a natural me, maybe conditioned by my upbringing, or family, or national culture. whatever it is, it's my grief, whether i show it with courage, restrain, bitterness, or passion. (as long as i don't go out on a killing rampage or break law). That's what matters, not someone's judgement on how i portrayed it. 

there are my current thoughts that will churn and evolve more over time, and i will see if i can continue expressing that.
>>>Very good point. I think in this case it is just that the family does not want to dragged through the mud with appeals and further appeals. In general, I would be in favor of doing it away with the death penalty, if a lifetime sentence means exactly that. In other words, no getting out in x years for good behavior or no technicality-driven release, unless it is proven the person is innocent. Uppili pointed out in a recent discussion that in terrorism-related matters, someone sitting in prison becomes a bargaining chip in future acts of terrorism. This is a valid concern. I would rather that these be handled by military courts and allow them the death penalty option.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:44 am

Kinnera wrote:

Ya, all that the parents want is a quick closure to this and not have it drag on forever, so they can move on in their lives. They don't want to be reminded and relive the horror over and over again.

The guy is 20 now. To be locked up for decades until the end of his life is horrible, maybe much worse than a quick death penalty. I once saw the guy (oslo?) who killed Dr. King on TV. He was so weak, old, with hands and legs chained. It was so depressing to see him. Horrible! That's no life to live. Life without parole sentencing is pretty brutal actually. It's least bit humanitarian. If the ones who are against death sentencing are under the illusion that they are the most humanitarian ppl on earth for opposing it, the news is that they ain't.
Nice twist there! NRA gang uses similar (il)logic

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:22 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:maybe i should have started another thread instead of diluting the emotions in this link....

you're conflating two issues. my only purpose in posting this was to make the point that whatever their reasons, blood lust and revenge did not overcome their innate humanity. that's it. it's possible to cynically read this as a selfish move, but i believe these people are much like the majority of other people of this region opposed to the death penalty.

the second issue you raised is that of how people express grief. you are right that expressions of grief are both individualistic and cultural. loud and vocal expressions of grief (there is a word in tamil for this -- oppAri) make my heart race and make me very uncomfortable and jittery. i realize this is the norm in many eastern cultures including india, but that doesn't make it any easier for me. my grandfather and i drew much closer after my grandmother's death on account of our shared discomfort about this very thing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:35 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Nice twist there! NRA gang uses similar (il)logic
Nothing illogical if you get what i am saying. The sentencing in US is pretty harsh....nah, brutal. The commander guy the other day was sentenced to 27 yrs in prison for fraud. So, life without parole is pretty brutal too compared to the maximum sentencing of 14 yrs in India. It really doesn't matter if the guy is sent to the gallows or not. His life is finished anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:07 pm

btw, the reason for the life sentencing being 14 yrs in India is because the philosophy is: 'the sentencing is not to 'punish' the convict, but to 'reform him and bring about a change in him. !4 yrs is good enough for that and if he shows good behavior and seems changed, he's released before that.' Hence no life without a parole or multiple life sentencing in India. We do see the convicts being released on 'humanitarian' grounds on Gandhi Jayanthi and all.

Ya, Hindus are the most softest and humane ppl on earth. But, all that may be fine for others, not hardcore terrorists who are driven by religious ideology. As someone said here, the terrorists should be tried by military courts, not civilian in India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down