Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jaw-dropping mispronunciation in imitation game

4 posters

Go down

jaw-dropping mispronunciation in imitation game Empty jaw-dropping mispronunciation in imitation game

Post by swapna Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:23 am

was it the movie-maker's idiocy, (a correct depiction of) the ignorance of the british, or the unfamiliarity of a british woman of the 1940s with names she has only read about in the mathematics literature, but not said out aloud?

it occurs at 50:19 in the movie, when joan clarke is sitting on the lawn of bletchley park with alan turing, discussing work. here are comments I found on the internet about it:

www.quora.com/In-Imitation-Game-Joan-Clarke-pronounces-Euler-as-yoo-ler-Was-this-a-mistake

according to the comment by kethi-reddy, turing corrects clarke, but I don't remember that.

here are comments about the entire movie, including the mispronunciation, by mathematicians and computer scientists:

www.scottaaronson.com/bexpressionism

swapna

Back to top Go down

jaw-dropping mispronunciation in imitation game Empty Re: jaw-dropping mispronunciation in imitation game

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:56 am

I don't remember it from the movie but my math and fluid mechanics profs in the US pronounced it as something like "oiler" and that's how i've always said the name.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

jaw-dropping mispronunciation in imitation game Empty Re: jaw-dropping mispronunciation in imitation game

Post by Hellsangel Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:16 am

Teufel!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I don't remember it from the movie but my math and fluid mechanics profs in the US pronounced it as something like "oiler" and that's how i've always said the name.

yes, euler, being a german name, is indeed pronounced as "oiler," and there would be no excuse for a mathematician pronouncing it as "youler."

I've heard bbc's news readers refer to certain soccer players as "josay" (the 'j' as in jim), when the name is quite likely the spanish jose.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:24 am

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I don't remember it from the movie but my math and fluid mechanics profs in the US pronounced it as something like "oiler" and that's how i've always said the name.

yes, euler, being a german name, is indeed pronounced as "oiler," and there would be no excuse for a mathematician pronouncing it as "youler."

I've heard bbc's news readers refer to certain soccer players as "josay" (the 'j' as in jim), when the name is quite likely the spanish jose.

why dont you get busy writing them letters of indignation so you can relieve some of that pressure? if you're really really indignant, do what unabomber did and send them pipebombs.

somewhat ot, how did a part did your OCD play in w leaving you for a career in orange county while you grappled with your $110k 'consultancy' in arlington?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:37 am

Looks like Ammachi wants to fully live up to the Grammar Nazi reputation.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down