Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sivagAmiyin sabatham

4 posters

Go down

sivagAmiyin sabatham Empty sivagAmiyin sabatham

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:20 pm

the recent BN threads, idiotic as they were, brought to mind the novel sivagAmiyin sabatham (SS) by the late tamil novelist kalki. this is a much loved literary work, close to many a tamilian's heart. it's a semi-fictional account of the life of the pallavA kings narasimha varman (also known as mAmallan) and his father mahendra varman. kalki has basically written about the battles that raged between the two pallava kings and chalukya king pulukesi. while he faithfully adheres to the known and recorded facts, he fills in missing details with a fictionalized account. the three main fictional characters are sivagAmi the court dancer, her father the sculptor Ayanar chirpi, and the buddha bhikshu (monk), the dark and mysterious naganandhi adigaL. the fictionalized part of the story which holds the novel together is the tragic love story of narasimhan and sivagAmi. thanks to the moronic BN threads, i have been motivated to pick up the novel and give it another read.

some years ago, a group in the bay area did a BN dance drama based on SS and it got rave reviews. wish i could have watched it. aside -- good english translations of many of kalki's works are sorely  needed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

sivagAmiyin sabatham Empty Re: sivagAmiyin sabatham

Post by Hellsangel Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the recent BN threads, idiotic as they were, brought to mind the novel
Threads or posts? Who do you think posted most of those?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the recent BN threads, idiotic as they were, brought to mind the novel

whatever. discussions. don't lose the forest for the trees.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:03 am

Mr Muraleetharan and Mrs Uma Muralikrishna staged this dance drama for FETNA in the US. Perhaps you are referring to them?

it is my dream to stage this. Actually, to be a part of this production, i meant. I do not have the time nor the group to showcase this but going into my 40s, this is my goal! for sure. possibly by the time i turn 45:-) One can dream, can't one? :-)

At one point, i was obsessed with sivagami! 

Anyway, there is an audio book of this play, i think. Now, that would perk up my commute. 

MAX, ignore the toxic content in this board from time to time. So easy!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:23 am

Hellsangel wrote:
No kidding! It was one of the most interesting and lively topics / threads ... thanks to BK for starting it ("a question on bharat natyam"). Btw if some people, feeling very strongly and knowledgeable about BN, thought that it was a nonsense, then why didn't they make any comment or respond directly on that thread?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:44 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
No kidding! It was one of the most interesting and lively topics / threads ... thanks to BK for starting it ("a question on bharat natyam"). Btw if some people, feeling very strongly and knowledgeable about BN, thought that it was a nonsense, then why didn't they make any comment or respond directly on that thread?
Sevaji, as always, you are a genius.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:01 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Thanks Hellsangelji, and so you are, a genius, as always.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:09 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Thanks Hellsangelji, and so you are, a genius, as always.
Sevaji, no one can aspire to your level of genius.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:53 am

the most electrifying BN performance i've watched which held me spellbound for the duration was by someone who can certainly not be classified a spring chicken -- leela samson's solo performance of kalidasa's kumarasambhavam which i watched some six or so years ago.  i wish there was a video somewhere that i could share with folks here.

unlike CM in which i consider myself somewhat technically knowledgeable, i know little about the technical aspects of BN although my children have pursued it avidly.  i will never forget the imagery of shiva marching on the nandi bull accompanied by his gaNas, and kicking up dust and making a ruckus that she brought to life. that a person dancing alone could do so much story telling was a revelation to me.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:54 am

Impedimenta wrote:Mr Muraleetharan and Mrs Uma Muralikrishna staged this dance drama for FETNA in the US. Perhaps you are referring to them?

it is my dream to stage this. Actually, to be a part of this production, i meant. I do not have the time nor the group to showcase this but going into my 40s, this is my goal! for sure. possibly by the time i turn 45:-) One can dream, can't one? :-)

At one point, i was obsessed with sivagami! 

Anyway, there is an audio book of this play, i think. Now, that would perk up my commute. 

MAX, ignore the toxic content in this board from time to time. So easy!

i think i always rooted for the bikshu.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:11 am

i don't know if it's the same performance. do you have a link to muraleetharan and muralikrishna's performance?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the most electrifying BN performance i've watched which held me spellbound for the duration was by someone who can certainly not be classified a spring chicken -- leela samson's solo performance of kalidasa's kumarasambhavam which i watched some six or so years ago.  i wish there was a video somewhere that i could share with folks here.

unlike CM in which i consider myself somewhat technically knowledgeable, i know little about the technical aspects of BN although my children have pursued it avidly.  i will never forget the imagery of shiva marching on the nandi bull accompanied by his gaNas, and kicking up dust and making a ruckus that she brought to life. that a person dancing alone could do so much story telling was a revelation to me.

You must see what Anita Ratnam is doing these days. She is currently showcasing, a million Sitas. Phenomenal talent in the dance theatre arena.

Check her out, MAX

http://www.arangham.com/repertor/millionsitas/cs.html

I am sure there are YouTube clips of the Uma muralikrishna production. Google. You bring up "marching of Shiva on the bull", the single most masculine visualization (IMO) which gives me Goosebumps  just thinking about it. I learnt the kalakshetra choreography and have performed it twice, it did stand out from the rest of  my dandayuthapani style items in the showcase :-)

Please Google for Nandichol by Bhavajan Kumar. you will be impressed! he's uploaded a snippet, makes you crave for more.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:22 pm

thanks will check out  your recos.  i think the reason i liked the leela samson performance of the kumarasambhavam was that it completely shattered the wildly held belief (was also something i believed in) that BN is boring because it is emotionally one-dimensional, i.e. the pining of a nayika.  samson's performance that night was energetic, embracing a boldly masculine theme (as you said yourself), intense and dramatic.  she is a small woman, yet nobody watching that night could have been left without a sense of awe at her depiction of one of the most powerful male figures in the hindu pantheon.

incidentally reading SS also reminded me of this wonderful rock relief in mAmallapuram that is featured in the story:

sivagAmiyin sabatham 850px-Mahabalipuram_pano2
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum