Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was the "Father of the Nation" a racist?

5 posters

Go down

Was the "Father of the Nation" a racist? Empty Was the "Father of the Nation" a racist?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:06 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/03/what-did-mahatma-gandhi-think-of-black-people/

Back to top Go down

Was the "Father of the Nation" a racist? Empty Re: Was the "Father of the Nation" a racist?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:36 pm

this only shows he was human and it's likely he evolved as time went by. it is unfair to judge a man whose thinking was still being shaped. we know a lot more about the man and his creed during his post south-african period.
south africa is a blip.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Was the "Father of the Nation" a racist? Empty Re: Was the "Father of the Nation" a racist?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this only shows he was human and it's likely he evolved as time went by. it is unfair to judge a man whose thinking was still being shaped. we know a lot more about the man and his creed during his post south-african period.
south africa is a blip.

The following extract is from the 1941 reprint of Pandit Nehru's autobiography, Towards Freedom,  pages 72 and 490.
-----
Gandhiji, indeed, was continually laying stress on the religious and spiritual side of the movement. His religion was not dogmatic, but it did mean a definitely religious outlook of life, and the whole movement was strongly influenced by this and took on a revivalist character so far as the masses were concerned...I used to be troubled sometimes at the growth of this religious element in our politics, both on the Hindu and the Muslim side. I did not like it at all...

Even Gandhiji's phrases sometimes jarred upon me--thus his frequent reference to Rama Raja as a golden age which was to return. But i was powerless to intervene, and i consoled myself with the thought that Gandhiji used the words because they were well known and understood by the masses. He had an amazing knack of reaching the heart of the people.....

During my tour in the earthquake areas (in Bihar), or just before going there, i read with a great shock Gandhiji's statement to the effect that the earthquake had been a punishment for the sin of untouchability. This was a staggering remark and i welcomed and wholly agreed with Rabindranath Tagore's answer to it...And if the earthquake was divine punishment for sin, how are we to discover for which sin we are being punished? for alas! we have many sins to atone for...the British government might call the calamity a divine punishment for civil obedience, for, as a matter of fact, North Bihar, which suffered most from the earthquake, took a leading part in the freedom movement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 pm

I do not have any respect for this Gandhi.

In 1938, the PM of Madras Province was Rajaji of Congress. He ordered the shooting of anti-Hindi demonstrators. This hypocrite Gandhi, who was the leader of Congress, did not say a word criticizing it.

This is the same felloow who issued critical statements when British ordered lathi charge (cane charge) on Congress demonstrators.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:56 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:I do not have any respect for this Gandhi.

O M G.....This is the end of the universe.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:45 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:I do not have any respect for this Gandhi.

O M G.....This is the end of the universe.
>>>Gandhi did not rise to the level of Captain Pirabakharan, that prince of peace and commander of child soldiers. Ergo, he deserves no respect. He also did not commit suicide or engage in suicide bombings. He drops down a few notches. He did not engage in self- immolation for KV's pet causes that would have netted his family congratulatory notes from KV who fights the battle from a living room in a distant land, but why quibble over trivial details? So, he is not KV's hero

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:19 am

A real no-brainer, this new book on Gandhi. Nothing new about Gandhi in this book. According to his "My Experiments with Truth", he was a "normal" person  (like any other Indian at that time) while growing up and even as a young man in India, England and South Africa. His attitudes and views on life, including about people and discrimination etc. faced by them, changed over time (after his own experiences in South Africa and later in India). It's obvious that he was not against the blacks in South Africa because of their color (race), but perhaps due to other things (their lifestyle and other practices, not seen by Gandhi in India before going to South Africa).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down