Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Martian

5 posters

Go down

The Martian Empty The Martian

Post by Kris Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:28 am

Cool movie. Matt Damon is the main character. He is presumed dead and is left behind on Mars during a mission. It turns out he is alive. The movie - a tad long- is about his survival with faith and application of intelligence and his sense of humor. There is a daring rescue in the end. Apparently, the movie gets much of the science right too, although not about the lack of water on the planet. Definitely worth watching. I am tempted to go see it again.

Kris

Back to top Go down

The Martian Empty Re: The Martian

Post by seven Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:48 am

No aliens on mars? Sad

Where do they live if not on Mars :sigh

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:02 am

seven wrote:No aliens on mars? Sad

Where do they live if not on Mars :sigh
>>It was summer and they had all gone to Disneyland. I understand Space Mountain was their favorite ride Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:28 am

The science may be fine, but I question the title. If spending a few days on Mars make one a Martian, I'm an American.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:17 pm

The discussion started with - If we cannot travel faster than light, and to find life on another planet, many light years away, how can it be? We as a mankind can never reach another planet ever? Unless someone comes to us? Reaching Mars appears such a small deal when thought in terms of the Universe. All the stars we see in the night, are from our galaxy, and there are zillion other galaxies! What are the chances that life exists elsewhere? 110%!

So how do we travel to these far off places, even in theory or imagination?

The last time I talked about this to my daughter when she was about to enter 2nd grade - father and daughter had concluded that perhaps we should send a young couple, who'd produce a baby, the baby would grow up, and travel even further.

But then I questioned the basic assumption recently - why cant we travel faster than light?

Only to learn further on time dilation. Reminded me of movie Intersteller. 

Time Dilation - "In the theory of relativity, time dilation is a difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from a gravitational mass or masses."

In simple terms - when a thing travels at such speeds (close to light), the time changes i.e. faster you travel with a reference point, slower your time. The higher your gravity, slower your time.

So, a planet with highest of gravity and highest of speeds, one second there could be 1 month in Earth terms.

And it has been proven, scientifically - this time dilation.

So, in theory - if we could send a man on a spaceship at age 20 at the speed of light to travel for 40 years (in Earth's time), to reach someplace in 40 light years - s/he would have actually travelled 381 light years!

Amazing, eh?

How mankind learns is by passing down the info to future generations. But if Earth were to die, everything that we have learnt/discovered, including the internet will die. And, it will have to be started all over again, on some other planet.....

Hmmm...

random ways of the Universe, some in NASA claim that there are parallel Universe, whatever...
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:37 am

Kris wrote:Cool movie. Matt Damon is the main character. He is presumed dead and is left behind on Mars during a mission. It turns out he is alive. The movie - a tad long- is about his survival with faith and application of intelligence and his sense of humor. There is a daring rescue in the end. Apparently, the movie gets much of the science right too, although not about the lack of water on the planet. Definitely worth watching. I am tempted to go see it again.

I like Matt Damon as an actor. Is the lone survivor part similar to that of Tom Hanks in Cast Away? I plan to watch it when I get back to Chicago next month. Hopefully it's still around in theaters.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down