Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the worship / prayer to Saguna Brahman

2 posters

Go down

On the worship / prayer to Saguna Brahman Empty On the worship / prayer to Saguna Brahman

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:04 pm

With respect to the scriptural qualification in the following about Narasimah, Rama and Krishna as worthy in upasana (worship / prayer) as Saguna Brahman, even though they appeared only briefly in the material world. 

Note the Bhagavad Gita narration related to God’s appearance and actions in the material world, specifically “janma karma me divyam evam … (“God’s  appearance and actions are divine  …),” the Bhagavad Gita: Ch. 4–9; “paritranam sadhunam, vinashayach dushkrtitam, dharma-samsthapnarthay … (“to free and to give relief to the noble, to annihilate the evil and the wicked, and to establish / restore righteousness..),” the Bhagavad Gita: Ch. 4–8; and  “Na ma karmani limpanti, na me karma phale spriyah.. (“God is neither bound to (by) action, nor attached to the fruit / result of action..),” the Bhagavad Gita: Ch. 4-14.

Although Narasimah, Rama and Krishna had only short / brief appearances in the world like any other human or animal, It is worth noting that their arrivals and stays in the world were quite unusual and different from other ordinary creatures (including humans), perhaps even in the extra-ordinary (divine) category (@ Ch. 4.9 in the Gita). Narasimah appeared through a column, Krishna’s “birth” took place in the very unusual circumstances too (in a jail cell, with the guards holding his mother a prisoner suddenly going to sleep, etc.). Similarly, Rama’s “birth” / appearance also was as a result of special boon from a sage and after much hue and cry and prayer to seek the end of evil in the world.

In addition, during the special appearances of Narasimah, Rama and Krishna, they undertook important missions (@ the Gita: Ch. 4.Cool which were beyond the capabilities of normal human beings, requiring them to fight against and get rid of sinners / evil-doers who had received boons for indestructibility (not losing to anyone).  Moreover, all their actions were performed without any attachment to the action and desire for fruits of the action, thus elevating them above and beyond Karma (@ the Gita: Ch. 4.14).

Therefore, in spite of the short appearances for Narsimah, Rama and Krishna in the world (like any other ordinary “jiva” in terms of life span), the unusual, extra-ordinary and divine nature of their appearances and actions / missions here, as indicated above and in accordance with the scripture (the Gita: Ch. 4.8, 4.9 and 4.14), clearly establishes them (Narasimha, Rama and Krishna) worthy in upasana as Saguna Brahman, unlike other living creatures or “jiva”.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

On the worship / prayer to Saguna Brahman Empty Re: On the worship / prayer to Saguna Brahman

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:22 am

another link - 
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=484791965056695&id=100005776877580
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

On the worship / prayer to Saguna Brahman Empty Re: On the worship / prayer to Saguna Brahman

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Incidentally, as indicated in the Rig Veda  ("They call him Indra, Mitra, Varuna, Agni, and he is heavenly nobly-winged Garutman; To what is One, sages give many a title they call it Agni, Yama, Matarisvan." RV: Book 1, Hymn 164.46) and further elaborated as monotheistic polymorphism in Hinduism in “Brahman (God) in Hinduism” .. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_aoi30gM1_nclBINnJpNXpoTDA&usp=sharing   (A9), God (basically as Nirguna) is given many a name (Agni, Indra and Surya / Savitar et al., as Saguna) during upasana (worship and prayer). Moreover, all these Saguna names for God (Brahman), such as Agni, Indra and Surya / Savitar et al., have various “eternal” nature-based potencies or upadhis associated with them, such as fire, rain and sun etc., respectively, to assist symbolically during upasana. In other words, fire, rain or sun etc. do not directly represent Agni, Indra or Surya et al. (names for Brahman as Saguna), but these merely reflect the potencies in the form of “eternal” nature-based symbols for Agni, Indra or Surya as Saguna Brahman.

Furthermore, with respect to two other special symbols used for prayer and worship, specifically Linga and Catur-bhuja (for Saguna worship of Brahman as Siva and Visnu, respectively), these probably arose during the post-Vedic era -- the former (Linga associated with Siva) according to the Vedic-era fire (in the case of Agni) and the latter (Catur-bhuja associated with Visnu) based jointly on the Vedic era rain (in the case of Indra) and sun (in the case of Surya / Savitar), as explained in “Saivite and Vaisnava interpretations of Brahman” …. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_aoi30gM1_nclBINnJpNXpoTDA&usp=sharing   (A40),
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:56 am

Seva - How do U differentiate Gods, Scriptures, Religions from Spirituality?

Whats the difference in your view. 

I was asked this when I went for the parent's interview to get my daughter admitted to Valor Christian High School.

Regards,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:31 am

TruthSeeker wrote:Seva - How do U differentiate Gods, Scriptures, Religions from Spirituality?

Whats the difference in your view. 

I was asked this when I went for the parent's interview to get my daughter admitted to Valor Christian High School.

Regards,
TS.
Hi TS,

Here is my take on religion v/s spirituality -- spirituality relates essentially to what is metaphysical, beyond the world of experience (involving and using senses / sensory organs etc.), whereas religion can include many things (related to spirituality as well as the world of experience). As for the occurrence of God(s) and scripture(s) in religion and spirituality, spirituality is more in understanding the true nature of God and soul while even using the scripture(s), whereas religion tends to use them (the ideas about God and soul etc.) practically in day to day lives (including through religious rituals and traditions, etc.).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi Seva,

Thanks for your reply.

To me - Any "one" religion is a "subset" of spirituality. A man's thought as to "Who am I? Why am I?" led to different religions.

So, a religion cannot be bigger than spirituality.

Spirituality led to one and more religions. Like Buddhism. Buddha sought, and found Nirvana. Like Guru Nanak - he sought and found that caste system in the name of name is so bad - that he declared - let all women be called Kaur and all men be Singh. He actually tried to kill caste system in Hinduism, being born a Hindu himself as Khatri just like Buddha was born a Hindu.

The point being - Spirituality is like Universe, and Religion like a Planet?

Dont U think?

Regards,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down