This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Seva Lamberdar on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:28 am

KOZHIKODE: The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has launched a scientifically validated Ayurvedic drug (BGR-34) for type II diabetes here on Wednesday . The drug Blood Glucose Regulator-34 (BGR-34) was jointly developed by two research units of CSIR-the National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI) and the Central Institute for Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP).

The drug is made of extracts from six herbs including daruharidra (berberis aristata), giloy (tinospora cordifolia), vijayasar (pterocarpus marsupium), gudmar (gymnema sylvestre), majeeth (rubia cordifoila) and methika (trigonella foenumgraecum).

Speaking to mediapersons Dr A K S Rawat, senior principal scientist, CSIRNBRI said India is home to around 6 crore diabetics. "BGR-34 works by controlling blood sugar and limiting the harmful effects of other drugs," he added.

Dr CH V Rao, principal scientist of CSIR-NBRI said the key ingredients inhibit DPP-4 (an enzyme, which destroys the hormone incretin) and enhances insulin secretion. "The product passed a series of tests and showed hypoglycaemic (very low levels of sugar in the blood) activity in experimental subjects," he said. "The pre-clinical studies of the drug revealed significant reduction in high blood sugar level in diabetes induced subjects, demonstrating effects similar to that of the reference stan dard anti-diabetic allopathic drug. It was also found to improve Thyroid Function Test (TFT) and Kidney Function Test (KFT) and lipid profile significantly besides providing antioxidant activity . No side effects were observed during the course of the study," he added.

Dr Anil K R Sharma, vice president of Aimil Pharmaceuticals said the drug was priced at Rs 5 per tablet. "It is available on all major chemist counters in the state," he said. He said they chose Calicut to launch the drug as the global ayurveda fest was being held in the city.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kozhikode/This-ayurveda-drug-for-diabetes-costs-just-Rs-5/articleshow/50862873.cms


Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 4194
Join date : 2012-11-29

View user profile https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:37 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
The drug is made of extracts from six herbs including daruharidra (berberis aristata), giloy (tinospora cordifolia), vijayasar (pterocarpus marsupium), gudmar (gymnema sylvestre), majeeth (rubia cordifoila) and methika (trigonella foenumgraecum).

i've been drinking glioy juice (giloy stems soaked in water overnight -- the water) for over a month. my monthly blood glucose test is due. ill report improvements (if i notice any). finger glucose tests shows a noticeable fall but i do not trust finger glucose testing principle (it should always be from the same vein to maintain continuity and conform to established standards -- finger is capillary glucose and can fluctuate wildly). 

i'm very curious about this ayurvedic pill. bookmarking this thread. thanks!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Seva Lamberdar on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:43 am

u r welcome Brie, and good luck!  Btw I had heard long ago (in my village) about benefits of drinking water from "giloy" ... it will be nice to get the first hand report from you based on your own experience.

Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 4194
Join date : 2012-11-29

View user profile https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:50 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:u r welcome Brie, and good luck!  Btw I had heard long ago (in my village) about benefits of drinking water from "giloy" ... it will be nice to get the first hand report from you based on your own experience.
exactly! actually one of my boys in my firm (he is from UP) said that his grandmother used to grind this herb and make them drink it and it looked like milk (he was recounting his childhood experience -- maybe she mixed it with milk). now he drinks the extract they way i do and he introduced me to it. i googled and learnt that it (herb) was found principally in south india. the extract i drink looks dark green and tastes horribly bitter (to the common man -- i love drinking 80 proof whisky neat).

i'll post results soon. if my glucose not down i am throwing it away. (i'll try the ayurvedic pill then and see and might throw that away too if i see no results.)


Last edited by brie on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Propagandhi711 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:52 am

sounds too good to be true. they'd made billions if it were actually true and not quackery

Propagandhi711

Posts : 6597
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:55 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:sounds too good to be true. they'd made billions if it were actually true and not quackery

agreed!

i am amenable to trying all ayurvedic shit as long as it does not involve metals or heavy metals. homeopathy -- i will kill you if you use suggest a homeopathic pill to anyone.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:25 am

an uncle had type 1 diabetes at age 16ish back in 1940s... instead of following medical treatments he experimented with some herbal nonsense at age 18, went into a coma for 2-3 days and died.

do all this when you are not diagnosed with anything. once you are, stick to medicines please, and then do all this as a health supplement if you want to.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:08 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:an uncle had type 1 diabetes at age 16ish back in 1940s... instead of following medical treatments he experimented with some herbal nonsense at age 18, went into a coma for 2-3 days and died.

do all this when you are not diagnosed with anything. once you are, stick to medicines please, and then do all this as a health supplement if you want to.
agreed. i'm still alive after a month of giloy. OK getting sugar tested tomorrow

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Gudmar and methika are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Don't know about the other stuff; may be they are included for controlling the associated problems in diabetes (inflammation, kidney & cardiovascular issues......).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 5600
Join date : 2012-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Seva Lamberdar on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Gudmar and methika are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Don't know about the other stuff; may be they are included for controlling the associated problems in diabetes (inflammation, kidney & cardiovascular issues......).
It's just a diabetes type II cure, as the articles claims. As for BK's uncle having a bad reaction to some herb, he had diabetes type I, more serious kind.

Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 4194
Join date : 2012-11-29

View user profile https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Gudmar and methika are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Don't know about the other stuff; may be they are included for controlling the associated problems in diabetes (inflammation, kidney & cardiovascular issues......).
It's just a diabetes type II cure, as the articles claims. As for BK's uncle having a bad reaction to some herb, he had diabetes type I, more serious kind.

my uncle did not have a bad reaction to the herbs. he died because he didn't take insulin, the herbs did zilch, his sugar levels spiked, and he died as a result.

if someone you know has type 2 diabetes, i would strongly urge not to consider these herbs, or advice them. practice caution. insulin is the only known effective treatment. there is no cure, atleast no approved one. messing with sugar levels can have really bad consequences over the years. even the ones who are not so bad maintaining it eventually develop some related effects over the years.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Gudmar and methika are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Don't know about the other stuff; may be they are included for controlling the associated problems in diabetes (inflammation, kidney & cardiovascular issues......).
It's just a diabetes type II cure, as the articles claims. As for BK's uncle having a bad reaction to some herb, he had diabetes type I, more serious kind.
I know; the Ayurvedic one is intended for type II. Yes, BK's relative was not smart to use for type I. Thanks to research in your country, insulin was discovered and it saved millions!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 5600
Join date : 2012-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by garam_kuta on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:17 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Gudmar and methika are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Don't know about the other stuff; may be they are included for controlling the associated problems in diabetes (inflammation, kidney & cardiovascular issues......).
It's just a diabetes type II cure, as the articles claims. As for BK's uncle having a bad reaction to some herb, he had diabetes type I, more serious kind.

my uncle did not have a bad reaction to the herbs. he died because he didn't take insulin, the herbs did zilch, his sugar levels spiked, and he died as a result.

if someone you know has type 2 diabetes, i would strongly urge not to consider these herbs, or advice them. practice caution. insulin is the only known effective treatment. there is no cure, atleast no approved one. messing with sugar levels can have really bad consequences over the years. even the ones who are not so bad maintaining it eventually develop some related effects over the years.
how/what do you mean? those that stimulate insulin release?

garam_kuta

Posts : 3107
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Gudmar and methika are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Don't know about the other stuff; may be they are included for controlling the associated problems in diabetes (inflammation, kidney & cardiovascular issues......).
It's just a diabetes type II cure, as the articles claims. As for BK's uncle having a bad reaction to some herb, he had diabetes type I, more serious kind.

my uncle did not have a bad reaction to the herbs. he died because he didn't take insulin, the herbs did zilch, his sugar levels spiked, and he died as a result.

if someone you know has type 2 diabetes, i would strongly urge not to consider these herbs, or advice them. practice caution. insulin is the only known effective treatment. there is no cure, atleast no approved one. messing with sugar levels can have really bad consequences over the years. even the ones who are not so bad maintaining it eventually develop some related effects over the years.
how/what do you mean? those that stimulate insulin release?

i meant even the diabetic people who do a decent job at managing there diseases get something or the other down the line, e.g. neuropathy.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by garam_kuta on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Gudmar and methika are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Don't know about the other stuff; may be they are included for controlling the associated problems in diabetes (inflammation, kidney & cardiovascular issues......).
It's just a diabetes type II cure, as the articles claims. As for BK's uncle having a bad reaction to some herb, he had diabetes type I, more serious kind.

my uncle did not have a bad reaction to the herbs. he died because he didn't take insulin, the herbs did zilch, his sugar levels spiked, and he died as a result.

if someone you know has type 2 diabetes, i would strongly urge not to consider these herbs, or advice them. practice caution. insulin is the only known effective treatment. there is no cure, atleast no approved one. messing with sugar levels can have really bad consequences over the years. even the ones who are not so bad maintaining it eventually develop some related effects over the years.
how/what do you mean? those that stimulate insulin release?

i meant even the diabetic people who do a decent job at managing there diseases get something or the other down the line, e.g. neuropathy.

yeah- the human body, an extremely complex machine with networks so delicately controlled, further compounded by genetics that may largely influence predisposition to neuropathy, i gather

garam_kuta

Posts : 3107
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 am

the curious case of brie:

before giloy



after giloy



caveat - i have lost 3 kgs during this period of one month by dietary changes. i weigh 97.5 kgs now and my height is 6 feet. in february 2015 my weight was 95 kgs and my fasting sugar was 95 (then i became careless till i saw my weight shoot to 99.5 kgs in november 2015)


what do you advice?

to giloy or not to giloy?
to BGR-34 or not to BGR-34?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Your A1C is very good! Fasting glucose? It is slightly high but that can be due to different reasons. If you eat dinner early (good habit), perhaps, eat a couple of strawberries about 1/2 hr before going to bed.

I have a feeling that if you maintain your weight around 90 Kg, and exercise your muscles, you'll be fine.

Giloy? It is hard to tell if it helped. Weight reduction (3 Kg) alone can be the factor.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 5600
Join date : 2012-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:13 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Your A1C is very good! Fasting glucose? It is slightly high but that can be due to different reasons. If you eat dinner early (good habit), perhaps, eat a couple of strawberries about 1/2 hr before going to bed.

I have a feeling that if you maintain your weight around 90 Kg, and exercise your muscles, you'll be fine.

Giloy? It is hard to tell if it helped. Weight reduction (3 Kg) alone can be the factor.
thank you! i agree with you. i eat dinner late (right before bed) and that might be affecting fasting sugar. i think a weight of 90 kgs should be target! giloy etc. are secondary and not important right now.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:06 am

brie wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Your A1C is very good! Fasting glucose? It is slightly high but that can be due to different reasons. If you eat dinner early (good habit), perhaps, eat a couple of strawberries about 1/2 hr before going to bed.

I have a feeling that if you maintain your weight around 90 Kg, and exercise your muscles, you'll be fine.

Giloy? It is hard to tell if it helped. Weight reduction (3 Kg) alone can be the factor.
thank you! i agree with you. i eat dinner late (right before bed) and that might be affecting fasting sugar. i think a weight of 90 kgs should be target! giloy etc. are secondary and not important right now.
I was thinking along the lines of early dinner related hypoglycaemia in the night and the liver releasing glucose into the blood stream by the morning in insulin resistant conditions. Obviously, that is not the case here. If you are eating late and seeing an increase in fasting glucose, perhaps, the fat content of your (high carb?) dinner is not low, slowing down digestion. May be, drink more water with your dinner and cut down on the portions.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 5600
Join date : 2012-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by truthbetold on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:19 am

a slightly different question. Have you heard of quinoa? Is it any good?

truthbetold

Posts : 6586
Join date : 2011-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:00 am

truthbetold wrote:a slightly different question.  Have you heard of quinoa?  Is it any good?
i've heard of quinoa. we don't get it locally here so i have no idea.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This ayurveda drug for diabetes costs just Rs 5

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:10 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum