so I have this sambhar powder....?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

so I have this sambhar powder....?!

Post by Bittu on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:05 pm

k so I think in 2009, impy gave me some sambhar recipe that I can't seem to find now. It entailed roasting some (five maybe) dry spices, then grinding them together. Thing is, I ground up a lot of it, thinking that I'll use it when I make sambhar later.

That time I made the sambhar, I think I fucked it up somehow. Don't remember why or what went wrong. Long story short, I never made sambhar again but I still have all those ground spices that I kept in a glass container with airtight lid. I opened it up this morning and the stuff still smells good.

Sooooo impy or anyone, what ARE those ground up spices? Can I get a sambhar recipe that will use these spices as-is? I want a recipe that doesn't take too much time or labor.

TIA x 100

Bittu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: so I have this sambhar powder....?!

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:35 pm

I can do that, bittu. Give me a few mins. Still cooking (making tamarind rice).

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:01 pm

thanks kin, no rush. I just ate golgappas. Now chillin with a Lightroom tutorial.

Bittu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Okay..free now Smile

It's been ages since I made sambar powder. Dunno what went into the sambar powder that you made. Impy shld be able to help you with that. I use MTR sambar powder (not sambar mix) to make my good ol' sambar.

Here's hwo I make it:

1. Boil toor dal in a pressure cooker. Mash it after done. Meanwhile,

2. Soak tamarind in hot water (if you don't have reduced tamarind).

3. Put the seasonings in a thick bottomed vessel. Seasonings: Put 1-2 tsp oil. When it's hot, put red chillies, jeera, mustard and curry leaves. Can add asaphoetida (spl?) and a few fenugreek seeds too. When mustard splatters, add cut veggies of your choice (radish, drumsticks (yeah, Razz), opo, onions, tomatoes, etc. Onions and tomatoes are a must. Add salt.

4. When veggies are 3/4ths done, add tamarind juice, sambar powder, some chilli powder, turmeric and more salt if needed. Boiling the veggies in the spiced liquid adds extra flavor.

5. When veggies are fully done, add mashed toor dal paste. Add more water if needed.

6. optional...i do this for a nice taste. I add a little besan to cold water, mix it without lumps and add it to the sambar mix in the pot.

7. Let it come to a boil. Keep stirring. Reduce heat and turn off heat after 5-10 mins.

That's it. Yummy sambar ready!

This is how I make it. Ppl can add their own methods.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:30 pm

thanks kin i luv u

Bittu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Smile. Thank you, Bittu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Bittu wrote:k so I think in 2009, impy gave me some sambhar recipe that I can't seem to find now. It entailed roasting some (five maybe) dry spices, then grinding them together. Thing is, I ground up a lot of it, thinking that I'll use it when I make sambhar later.
Hey, it's atleast 2 years old. Its flavor and aromas are all long gone and any sambar you make with it will just be glorified dal. Chuck it and get a pack of MTR Sambar powder from the local Indian grocer.

Merlot Daruwala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Bittu wrote:k so I think in 2009, impy gave me some sambhar recipe that I can't seem to find now. It entailed roasting some (five maybe) dry spices, then grinding them together. Thing is, I ground up a lot of it, thinking that I'll use it when I make sambhar later.
Hey, it's atleast 2 years old. Its flavor and aromas are all long gone and any sambar you make with it will just be glorified dal. Chuck it and get a pack of MTR Sambar powder from the local Indian grocer.

LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Finally figured out the mystery of the ground spices. I think Max recommended this cookbook - Dakshin Vegetarian Cuisine from South India. In it, there are a few "sambhar podi" recipes that say "store in an airtight container and use as required", which is exactly what I did.

Annoying fucking book though. Has no recipes of idli or dosa. WTF x 100

In the sambhar podi recipes, it calls for roasting each of the 12-14 spices INDIVIDUALLY then grinding them all together. F that.

Bittu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:42 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top