Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unliked?

4 posters

Go down

unliked? Empty unliked?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/24/us/politics/jeb-bush-ted-cruz.html

The endorsement came as aides to Mr. Cruz, who is unliked by much of the Republican leadership and many of his Senate colleagues, have been courting high-profile supporters to bolster his candidacy. The Cruz campaign has also sought support from Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, who dropped out of the race after losing his home state to Mr. Trump on March 15.

does the times not have editors on its staff any longer?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

unliked? Empty Re: unliked?

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:52 pm

You should apply, Il Professore. You have the experience.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/24/us/politics/jeb-bush-ted-cruz.html

The endorsement came as aides to Mr. Cruz, who is unliked by much of the Republican leadership and many of his Senate colleagues, have been courting high-profile supporters to bolster his candidacy. The Cruz campaign has also sought support from Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, who dropped out of the race after losing his home state to Mr. Trump on March 15.

Or, they have decided to follow American English in stead of the rigid Brit-Aristocrat English which not even the English follow these days.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Max, maybe NYT hired a NortHindian. Smile I mean, who other than NortHindians could speak and write like that?

How despicable and ruuuude.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/24/us/politics/jeb-bush-ted-cruz.html

Or, they have decided to follow American English in stead of the rigid Brit-Aristocrat English which not even the English follow these days.

my guess is that it has nothing to do with american or british english, but with facebook and the like/unlike phenomenon. they have tried to use the word as a past participle of "unlike" and it doesn't work, because "unlike" is not a verb, or at least was not a verb until facebook came along.  unlike means dissimilar, an adjective. the correct usage is "disliked" which is a past participle of the verb "dislike".

google confirms my suspicions. usually google will give its own dictionary entry before referring you to other entries. it brings up an entry for disliked but not for unliked. another indication that "unliked" is incorrect grammar -- as i am typing, the software that forumotion uses, is underlining unliked in red, but not disliked.

i am sure hellsangel can find some obscure dictionary entry in a childish attempt to contradict me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:02 pm

in fb, unlike is simply undoing a previous like.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:in fb, unlike is simply undoing a previous like.

i am aware of that, and that is my point. prior to fb, the word unlike was not a verb. fb made it a verb, and now these writers are using it as a verb, but in a different context. i find the process of how language evolves, fascinating.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 pm

You know, Il Professore, you should relax and take it easy. It is fairly obvious that the NY Times got a millennial to write this up. With all the cost cutting they have been having, it's no big surprise that their writers speak Facebookese.

A simple wiktionary look-up would have answered your question instead of all this drama.
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/unlike
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i am aware of that, and that is my point. prior to fb, the word unlike was not a verb. fb made it a verb, and now these writers are using it as a verb, but in a different context. i find the process of how language evolves, fascinating.

when my son had just begun speaking big sentences, guess he was 3 or 4, he used to add un to e'thing. Like, if we said, 'you are cool'. he would say, 'no i am uncool', which was fine. But then it got added to pretty much everything where an opposite was needed. he is untall, this is unhot, he is unsleeping... and so on. Oh we have so many funny stories of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

when my son had just begun speaking big sentences, guess he was 3 or 4, he used to add un to e'thing. Like, if we said, 'you are cool'. he would say, 'no i am uncool', which was fine. But then it got added to pretty much everything where an opposite was needed. he is untall, this is unhot, he is unsleeping... and so on. Oh we have so many funny stories of him.

correction: it was cute/uncute that got repeated often. Not cool/uncool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:18 pm

Hellsangel wrote:You know, Il Professore, you should relax and take it easy. It is fairly obvious that the NY Times got a millennial to write this up. With all the cost cutting they have been having, it's no big surprise that their writers speak Facebookese.

A simple wiktionary look-up would have answered your question instead of all this drama.
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/unlike
The meme in the article reminded me of you , Il Professore.
http://www.grammarly.com/blog/2016/tough-necessary-job-cutting-ones-writing/
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum