Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old emails

+6
seven
garam-kuta
SomeProfile
silvermani
garam_kuta
goodcitizn
10 posters

Go down

Old emails Empty Old emails

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:44 am

Was searching for some old email and I found all the emails that Sulekhinis sent me - all those handles that have long disappeared - all the way from 2003. Nostalgic.

I was shocked to realize that I was indeed popular among women and they trusted me. Those were the days when I did not post on religious politics.

Remember LJ (Max's favorite), Ritika, Scout, Wetsparrow, Maria (yep), Roja (this one has an amazing memory), and so on and on...?

I was actually searching for the earliest email from my schoolmates.

Hm...those were the good old days.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Old emails Empty Re: Old emails

Post by goodcitizn Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Was searching for some old email and I found all the emails that Sulekhinis sent me - all those handles that have long disappeared - all the way from 2003. Nostalgic.

I was shocked to realize that I was indeed popular among women and they trusted me. Those were the days when I did not post on religious politics.

Remember LJ (Max's favorite), Ritika, Scout, Wetsparrow, Maria (yep), Roja (this one has an amazing memory), and so on and on...?

Upps, you might have lost the Midas touch. Those names sure bring back memories!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 am

goodcitizn wrote:

Upps, you might have lost the Midas touch. Those names sure bring back memories!

Yes... Now reading some of those emails gives me a different perspectives. I suspect an underlying "love" in those letters without mentioning it as such (they knew I was married) or using any crass language or anything sexual. As always I am a late realizer... I counted some 22 different women...holy smoke.

I even have an email from VC before he became my enemy on "secular" discussion. He disappeared and Darwala showed up with almost similar views and I suspected for a long time both were one and the same. VC and I exchanged a few emails when you were in hospital on your welfare - you know around 2005-2006. BTW, I exchanged quite a bit emails with many Sulekhans - Bataburger, Hemanth, Playtpus...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:02 am

goodcitizn wrote:

Yes... Now reading some of those emails gives me a different perspectives. I suspect an underlying "love" in those letters without mentioning it as such (they knew I was married) or using any crass language or anything sexual. As always I am a late realizer...  I counted some 22 different women...holy smoke.

I even have an email from VC before he became my enemy on "secular" discussion. He disappeared and Darwala showed up with almost similar views and I suspected for a long time both were one and the same. VC and I exchanged a few emails when you were in hospital on your welfare - you know around 2005-2006.  BTW, I exchanged quite a bit emails with many Sulekhans - Bataburger, Hemanth, Playtpus...

hahaha... conflicted between rama and krishna? Laughing
just like காதல் and மோகம்..isn't it inevitable one leads to the other?

எண்ணம்போல கண்ணன் வந்தான் அம்மம்மா
பெண்மை வாழத் தன்னைத் தந்தான் அம்மம்மா
கன்னிப் பெண்ணைக் கட்டிக் கொண்டான் அம்மம்மா
கை விடாமல் காக்க வேண்டும் அம்மம்மா (எண்ணம்)

பொன்னை எடுத்து மாலை தொடுத்து
பூவும் பொட்டும் சூடி என்னை அள்ளி அணைத்து
கண்ணன் வழங்கும் இந்த உறவு
தென்றல் போல வானம் போல என்றும் வளர
பள்ளியறைக்குள் மெல்ல நடந்து
கண்ணன் வரும் நாள் என்று வருமோ (எண்ணம்)

ராதை மடியில் கண்ணன் இருந்தான்
கண்ணன் வேறு பெண்ணை நெஞ்சில் எண்ணியிருந்தான்
சீதை மடியில் ராமன் இருந்தான்
ராமன் வேறு பெண்ணை நெஞ்சில் காண மறந்தான்
கண்ணன் என்பது மோக வடிவம்
ராமன் என்பது காதல் வடிவம் (எண்ணம்)

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:03 am

goodcitizn wrote:

Yes... Now reading some of those emails gives me a different perspectives. I suspect an underlying "love" in those letters without mentioning it as such (they knew I was married) or using any crass language or anything sexual. As always I am a late realizer...  I counted some 22 different women...holy smoke.

I even have an email from VC before he became my enemy on "secular" discussion. He disappeared and Darwala showed up with almost similar views and I suspected for a long time both were one and the same. VC and I exchanged a few emails when you were in hospital on your welfare - you know around 2005-2006.  BTW, I exchanged quite a bit emails with many Sulekhans - Bataburger, Hemanth, Playtpus...
Yes, sounds like you were swamped with Sulekhanis in those years. Quite a lady killer.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Didn't you portray yourself as a 70+ year old for a while back in those days(2002-2003)? All those emails were like letters to grandpa. Who doesn't love a grandpa who has good advice for every freaking situation in life?
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:47 pm

silvermani wrote:

Didn't you portray yourself as a 70+ year old for a while back in those days(2002-2003)? All those emails were like letters to grandpa. Who doesn't love a grandpa who has good advice for every freaking situation in life?

welcome back.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:30 pm

I was watching a video interview of Rajiv Malhotra a few days ago, and he talked about first publishing his articles on Sulekha and getting hundreds of thousands of views. I was surprised to hear that and did some Googling to discover that, yes, he had indeed published several articles on Sulekha! Apparently, Sulekha was a respectable forum at one point for Indians to come together, publish their thoughts, discuss opinions, etc. It could have turned into a popular and influential portal for Indians worldwide. But then, the short-sightedness, greed for near term profits and the utter incompetence of the site's publishers killed it.

When I first came across Sulekha, I realized that there were 3 or 4 distinct communities (may be there were more that I was not aware of) - the news fans who had long, raging discussions in comments under news articles, the blog discussion people who had their own discussions in the blog comments, the Coffeehouse crowd and the chat group. There was some overlap among membership among these groups, but otherwise, each group had its own star posters, conversation styles, sub-cultures.

One unique thing about Sulekha, which distinguished it from all other sites across the world was the abundance of respectable, educated and even good-looking Indian women who actively participated. Those of us who have been trolling Internet forums for many years know how rare this is - it is hard to find online forums, especially anonymous ones (not closed non-anonymous forums like Facebook groups), where Indian women actively and openly participate. It is more common to find forums where Indian women are rare and/or don't identify themselves as women. When I first started participating, I was also struck by how many women on Sulekha reached out to me on their own through private messages. This is an even rarer phenomenon on Internet forums.

Saamiyaar - don't be like an Indian adolescent from the last century who thinks a girl "loves" him if she merely looks at him. Most of the women thought of you as an agony aunt grandpa who was ready to give advice on everything from breastfeeding to marriage and career counseling. On a forum where every other male member seemed to be only interested in getting access to "the thing", the women found you in a nice safe grandpa zone and so wrote to you.

In retrospect, I think social community on Sulekha was killed more by the petty jealousies and gossip of the female posters, than by any sleazy behavior by the male posters.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:42 pm

SomeProfile wrote:I was watching a video interview of Rajiv Malhotra a few days ago, and he talked about first publishing his articles on Sulekha and getting hundreds of thousands of views. I was surprised to hear that and did some Googling to discover that, yes, he had indeed published several articles on Sulekha! Apparently, Sulekha was a respectable forum at one point for Indians to come together, publish their thoughts, discuss opinions, etc. It could have turned into a popular and influential portal for Indians worldwide. But then, the short-sightedness, greed for near term profits and the utter incompetence of the site's publishers killed it.

When I first came across Sulekha, I realized that there were 3 or 4 distinct communities (may be there were more that I was not aware of) - the news fans who had long, raging discussions in comments under news articles, the blog discussion people who had their own discussions in the blog comments, the Coffeehouse crowd and the chat group. There was some overlap among membership among these groups, but otherwise, each group had its own star posters, conversation styles, sub-cultures.

One unique thing about Sulekha, which distinguished it from all other sites across the world was the abundance of respectable, educated and even good-looking Indian women who actively participated. Those of us who have been trolling Internet forums for many years know how rare this is - it is hard to find online forums, especially anonymous ones (not closed non-anonymous forums like Facebook groups), where Indian women actively and openly participate. It is more common to find forums where Indian women are rare and/or don't identify themselves as women. When I first started participating, I was also struck by how many women on Sulekha reached out to me on their own through private messages. This is an even rarer phenomenon on Internet forums.

Saamiyaar - don't be like an Indian adolescent from the last century who thinks a girl "loves" him if she merely looks at him. Most of the women thought of you as an agony aunt grandpa who was ready to give advice on everything from breastfeeding to marriage and career counseling. On a forum where every other male member seemed to be only interested in getting access to "the thing", the women found you in a nice safe grandpa zone and so wrote to you.

In retrospect, I think social community on Sulekha was killed more by the petty jealousies and gossip of the female posters, than by any sleazy behavior by the male posters.
Yes, I agree with the early years. What was your handle back then?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:17 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:I was watching a video interview of Rajiv Malhotra a few days ago, and he talked about first publishing his articles on Sulekha and getting hundreds of thousands of views. I was surprised to hear that and did some Googling to discover that, yes, he had indeed published several articles on Sulekha! Apparently, Sulekha was a respectable forum at one point for Indians to come together, publish their thoughts, discuss opinions, etc. It could have turned into a popular and influential portal for Indians worldwide. But then, the short-sightedness, greed for near term profits and the utter incompetence of the site's publishers killed it.

Yes, I agree with the early years. What was your handle back then?
pravallika

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Rashmun - what was my handle then?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:42 pm

SomeProfile wrote:

Nope.. I am not saying they were love letters...but reading them all over again after 10+ years make me interpret it differently. It could be caring for the grandpa or a dying old man....Razz [and but as long as people think of me that way....more power to me....Wink]

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Hmm.. why are you clinging to 12-13 years old e-mails?!

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

I dont delete any emails unless I was sked to - say with pics. None of these emails have any dirty secrets or anything to hurt anyone. These are not saved in any separate email. I use the same id for friends and relatives, and I considered these as friends. For instance, I still have my very first chat mate on my IM still talking - who I have never met. BTW, this email account have emails from a couple of class friends who are no more. So you see, I dont use and throw away my friends or backstab and hurt them - even if they became my enemies later (dont think anyone became one). Also, it took months of conversation and before I exev exchanged ids. In fact, I rarely asked anyone's id. I gave mine only after several months of confidence building. By then, they know my real persona.

I dont remember when I last made a new online friend (must be years). I have helped with net addiction in 3 or 4 cases, nagged a couple of them to study further when the chips were down for them, helped one from a forced marriage by her father (since married and has kid). So you see my presence here has been of some benefit to a couple of them at least.

Holding onto emails have no evil design bcz in my real life also I dont throw away anything.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:42 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Kyun ki Aunty bhi kabhi Unkil the.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Email them back n ask if they would like to join us here.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:55 pm

seven wrote:Email them back n ask if they would like to join us here.

Why would I do that? A couple of them followed me but quickly left. One from UK and another from US - a christian and a muslim (funny...rite?)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Why would I do that? A couple of them followed me but quickly left. One from UK and another from US - a christian and a muslim (funny...rite?)
Ping the Hindu women.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:19 pm

she is right.. we need to improve the number of women posters - not those women-name-handles plagued with much ambiguity

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:58 pm

seven wrote:

Ping the Hindu women.

Nope. the one reason why I have friends forever is bcz I dont ask or demand anything from them and dont put them in any awkward situation by trying to recruit for anything.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:40 pm

seven wrote:

Ping the Hindu women.

Nope. the one reason why I have friends forever is bcz I dont ask or demand anything from them and dont put them in any awkward situation by trying to recruit for anything.

Ok don't. I thought asking couldn't hurt. They're not going to Feel compelled To join if you asked if they were interested.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:47 pm

seven wrote:
seven wrote:

Ping the Hindu women.

Ok don't. I thought asking couldn't hurt. They're not going to Feel compelled To join if you asked if they were interested.

So that people like Flimmy and Rashmunullah can hound them out ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:29 pm

seven wrote:
seven wrote:

Ping the Hindu women.

Very good point. You shouldn't ask.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm

seven wrote:
seven wrote:
seven wrote:
Ping the Hindu women.

Very good point. You shouldn't ask.

LoL..you both can't be serious.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm Sirius. Why don't you invite your friends. I asked mine n they don't like the idea.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:09 pm

seven wrote:I'm Sirius.Why don't you invite your friends. I asked mine n they don't like the idea.

Smile

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:48 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
seven wrote:I'm Sirius.Why don't you invite your friends. I asked mine n they don't like the idea.

Smile

Please note down this evidence, your honor...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down