posture

View previous topic View next topic Go down

posture

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:50 am

i have always had a bad posture. There was a time when this used to be just a conversation topic, having a little or no consequence except for the aesthetic of it. Over time though, it did start becoming a problem. Stiff neck and shoulders, resulting in headaches. I didn't know all these were related until a massage lady pointed it out to me a few years ago. She saw all the tension in my neck, and said i better start fixing my posture now. She showed me the 'wall angel' exercise, which I learned half heartedly, and did half heartedly for a few days and forgot about it, coz it was so painful. I added this experience too to my shallow conversations. With time, every time i went for massage, i would get a comment how stiff my neck and shoulders were. Some said i take all my stress on my neck. Some said i have bad posture. All said this will cause a lot of issues. I would agree, but not do much about it. 

until recently, when i see more and more fallouts of my bad posture, compounded even more by my nature of work, and stressful life. Most recently, migraines and TMJ disorder. TMJ is probably also because of night grinding and/or clenching, which i did often. And chewing gum, and sleeping on stomach, among other things.  

So i began seriously researching the posture exercises, and found youtube videos on it. Then i began making others do the same to see if it's painful for them or not. Some seemed to do worse than me, people my age. Younger people had only mild pain. Hope they take it seriously. And then there were a few children show-offs, who would go up on the wall and just do it all effortlessly. Then i would go in and check their backs, straight. Shoulders, touching. elbows and hands, touching. Head, touching. can they hold it for a minute, how about 5? 

oh well, all the more reason to go fix it now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uzd_nFzj0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA3O0NVb-sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmEu3hTJnTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ooIhKYs7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZEu6ZOMhlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMI6YKANzxw

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by garam_kuta on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Hmm...TMI, is what I wanna say; and, I know what you're going to... ;-{)


garam_kuta

Posts : 3627
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:01 pm

TMI?  scratch

How? I thought I was sharing what I think other uncles and aunties here might possibly be going through, or maybe their nearies dearies... 
if there was anything inappropriate then i didn't catch it. a bit rusty these days i guess *shrug*

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by garam_kuta on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Scarlet O'Hara wrote:TMI?  scratch

How? I thought I was sharing what I think other uncles and aunties here might possibly be going through, or maybe their nearies dearies... 
if there was anything inappropriate then i didn't catch it. a bit rusty these days i guess *shrug*

my baad.. I should have thanked you first. i will fwd to a few I know.

nothin' of that sort, and you getting rusty...hmm..not gonna happen, i bet.

garam_kuta

Posts : 3627
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by garam-kuta on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:52 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
you getting rusty...hmm..not gonna happen, i bet.
aww... aaawwwww....

garam-kuta

Posts : 642
Join date : 2014-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by garam_kuta on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:05 pm

garam-kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
you getting rusty...hmm..not gonna happen, i bet.
aww... aaawwwww....

garam_kuta

Posts : 3627
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by pravalika nanda on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Scarlet O'Hara wrote:i have always had a bad posture. There was a time when this used to be just a conversation topic, having a little or no consequence except for the aesthetic of it. Over time though, it did start becoming a problem. Stiff neck and shoulders, resulting in headaches. I didn't know all these were related until a massage lady pointed it out to me a few years ago. She saw all the tension in my neck, and said i better start fixing my posture now. She showed me the 'wall angel' exercise, which I learned half heartedly, and did half heartedly for a few days and forgot about it, coz it was so painful. I added this experience too to my shallow conversations. With time, every time i went for massage, i would get a comment how stiff my neck and shoulders were. Some said i take all my stress on my neck. Some said i have bad posture. All said this will cause a lot of issues. I would agree, but not do much about it. 
 
** oh, that's too bad. my friend has this problem too. she's a surgeon and because of the nature of her work she is always craning her neck out just like computer people do. she got the aches pains and headaches. she saw her primary care physician, he did a xray of the neck for her and referred her to an ortho spine person. he reviewed the xray and it looked like she had something called cervical spondylosis. i don't know what exactly it is, will google later. he did a full examination on her and checked her motor strength in the different muscles groups and her reflexes and he advised her to get physical therapy for it and she's doing better after it. these kind of things you need to nip 'em in the bud. apparently he told her that if she has tingling and numbness or muscle weakness to go back to see him. that could be dangerous. apparently he was really cute too, she would've totally dated him if he was available.

pravalika nanda

Posts : 2371
Join date : 2011-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:11 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Scarlet O'Hara wrote:i have always had a bad posture. There was a time when this used to be just a conversation topic, having a little or no consequence except for the aesthetic of it. Over time though, it did start becoming a problem. Stiff neck and shoulders, resulting in headaches. I didn't know all these were related until a massage lady pointed it out to me a few years ago. She saw all the tension in my neck, and said i better start fixing my posture now. She showed me the 'wall angel' exercise, which I learned half heartedly, and did half heartedly for a few days and forgot about it, coz it was so painful. I added this experience too to my shallow conversations. With time, every time i went for massage, i would get a comment how stiff my neck and shoulders were. Some said i take all my stress on my neck. Some said i have bad posture. All said this will cause a lot of issues. I would agree, but not do much about it. 
 
** oh, that's too bad. my friend has this problem too. she's a surgeon and because of the nature of her work she is always craning her neck out just like computer people do. she got the aches pains and headaches. she saw her primary care physician, he did a xray of the neck for her and referred her to an ortho spine person. he reviewed the xray and it looked like she had something called cervical spondylosis. i don't know what exactly it is, will google later. he did a full examination on her and checked her motor strength in the different muscles groups and her reflexes and he advised her to get physical therapy for it and she's doing better after it. these kind of things you need to nip 'em in the bud. apparently he told her that if she has tingling and numbness or muscle weakness to go back to see him. that could be dangerous. apparently he was really cute too, she would've totally dated him if he was available.

hmm... in my case, it's the left side that's all damaged. Left side of the face hurts, left teeth hurt, and left shoulder and left side of the sternum/rib cage hurt during my exercise. and i have been noticing, but ignoring, a little tingling on my left index finger ever since i began exercising. Usually when you sleep on your own arm or something, it's the pinkie and ring finger that get ants, right? So index finger does sound a bit off... 

anyway, will try to avoid a doc for as long as possible, no money honestly. the last time I met a cutie doctor, he was a dentist telling me delicately about my weak jaw situation (and NOW i know why g_k thought of it as TMI, I think). i mean, available or not, am not gonna date my own doctor/dentist hehe. 

anyhoos, it could be a coincidence, but for years, i constantly slept on my left side too. Trying to change that habit, and it's TOUGH. But that's for another thread.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:05 pm

I've been having TMJ issues for the past five months or so. I am a terrible bruxer and been wearing a night guard for years, but i guess it finally took its toll on my TMJ. I've tried the muscle relaxants, anti inflammatories, hot packs and all, but nothing worked. It was only getting worse. The next option is to see an Oral surgeon. That is not a good option though. The prognosis of a surgery isn't great for TMJ issuues. The more noninvasive you are, the better it is for it. So i wanted to give the alternative medicine a shot. I started doing the acupuncture sessions. I was asked to take a total of six sessions, three sessions a week. Nothing happened in the forst two sessions. Then there was a dramatic improvement after the third session. I am done with five. One more to go. Almost 80% improvement! Seems like a miracle! Will see if i'll be totally fine and if so, how long it lastes. As of now, I feel positive about it. 
I chose the best of the best acupuncturist in town. That's very important. 

As for the neck issues, my physical therapist suggested something almost similar to the one that the woman suggested in the first video. I was told to do that as many times as i can in a day. It really works to help ease the neck pain. And yeah, one got to be conscious of one's posture *all the time*. The worst issues to have are the spinal issues. 

Btw, my insomnia issues are resolved. I discovered the cause. The solution for that is very simple. Following that and it's gone. That's another miracle!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 pm

didn't know you had tmj...

well i began having pain in one of my teeth in march. i should have researched more, coz the pain wasn't constant in one tooth, it shifted. After 2-3 weeks, i went to my dentist. He also could not figure it out, but said 'hmm, you have a cap in one of the teeth there. sometimes the nerves get irritated'. I am like really, the cap was 2 years ago. He goes YA it can act up even after 2 years. So i agree for a root canal, and since i wasn't convinced, I googled. almost e'one confirmed that this can be the case. So I go in for that. He said, 'the tooth behind it needs a small filling, so let's numb you just once and do both'. I am like ok. So we do that. I discover after 2-3 days, when the pain subsided, that the filling of that second tooth is too high. Sometimes it's hard to check the bite when you are numb. So i go back to him after a week. he fixes the filling. Then one morning, i woke up with my lower teeth pushing out my incisors, and deep pain there. So now I am freaked out. I am sure I will knock my tooth off one of these nights. I go back to him, it's April by now. I am convinced my bite from the last time is still not fixed, coz i was hitting random teeth at random times. He checks my bite, and says nope, the bite is fine. So he scraps a little bit of stuff here and there to reduce hitting. It was more of a placebo, coz he is a very conservative doc. I told him i tried buying mouth guards, but don't like them. He tried making a temp guard for me, but didn't work. At the end of the visit, his wife/accountant told me i have maxed out my insurance for the year. Great! So now I am stuck with this pain, and fear of losing teeth, and no insurance, and no more cleanings left for the year!

a month or so later, i check my insurance, and see i still have pool left to go to an orthodontist. So i go to a father son team. The son patiently hears my history, coz at this point i still believed my bite has been altered by the last procedure. He takes the x-rays, checks my bite, and said, 'nope, your bite is fine'. The father comes, tells me to get root canal done on whatever teeth are hurting me, and walks out. I am like what the hake. The son then talked me for another 5-10 minutes, and explained that my bite is off at times coz of my possible tmj.

so now i research tmj. I had always been told i could be a bruxer. and my daughter had told me long time ago that i could be having tmj issues. Anyway... I found videos that said if you poke here or there, it will hurt. and holee sheet, did it hurt. Since then i have been managing this. Everytime i found something, like acu pressure, stretching, strengthening, it would give me some temp relief. Anything is better than to take meds round the clock. I am at an ok spot right now, i think. My incisors don't feel like they will fall off when i tap my teeth, and i need to take alleve maybe 2-3 times a week. Most days I am ok.  Posture exercise and change of pillow did the final trick i guess. I have stopped doing strengthening exercises, coz i think it made it worse. Also, cutting off coffee and reducing tea. Thinking back, I had began having frequent coffee only from Jan this year. I have noticed my teeth hurt the days i drink 3 or more cups of tea a day. So i am avoiding it too. Can't wait for the year to turn around, and get some insurance again.

I don't have insomnia, just being tortured in my own bedroom by something faulty in the heating or vents. Last winter I tried to get XH to hear it. He would concentrate deeply, with his neck craned, and mine craned towards him, for about 30 seconds before i would ask, 'so? what do you think it is?' And he would go, 'i can't hear anything'. Seriously, the man is turning prematurely deaf. Anyhoos, today also, i woke up at 4 am from the noise, and turned my iphone app on. Slept fine until the alarm went off. But one of these days, I am gonna barge into his room to drag him to mine, or I will go downstairs and turn the heating off. That's definitely gonna wake him up, coz his room is the coldest in the house.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by garam_kuta on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Scarlet O'Hara wrote:didn't know you had tmj...

well i began having pain in one of my teeth in march. i should have researched more, coz the pain wasn't constant in one tooth, it shifted. After 2-3 weeks, i went to my dentist. He also could not figure it out, but said 'hmm, you have a cap in one of the teeth there. sometimes the nerves get irritated'. I am like really, the cap was 2 years ago. He goes YA it can act up even after 2 years. So i agree for a root canal, and since i wasn't convinced, I googled. almost e'one confirmed that this can be the case. So I go in for that. He said, 'the tooth behind it needs a small filling, so let's numb you just once and do both'. I am like ok. So we do that. I discover after 2-3 days, when the pain subsided, that the filling of that second tooth is too high. Sometimes it's hard to check the bite when you are numb. So i go back to him after a week. he fixes the filling. Then one morning, i woke up with my lower teeth pushing out my incisors, and deep pain there. So now I am freaked out. I am sure I will knock my tooth off one of these nights. I go back to him, it's April by now. I am convinced my bite from the last time is still not fixed, coz i was hitting random teeth at random times. He checks my bite, and says nope, the bite is fine. So he scraps a little bit of stuff here and there to reduce hitting. It was more of a placebo, coz he is a very conservative doc. I told him i tried buying mouth guards, but don't like them. He tried making a temp guard for me, but didn't work. At the end of the visit, his wife/accountant told me i have maxed out my insurance for the year. Great! So now I am stuck with this pain, and fear of losing teeth, and no insurance, and no more cleanings left for the year!

a month or so later, i check my insurance, and see i still have pool left to go to an orthodontist. So i go to a father son team. The son patiently hears my history, coz at this point i still believed my bite has been altered by the last procedure. He takes the x-rays, checks my bite, and said, 'nope, your bite is fine'. The father comes, tells me to get root canal done on whatever teeth are hurting me, and walks out. I am like what the hake. The son then talked me for another 5-10 minutes, and explained that my bite is off at times coz of my possible tmj.

so now i research tmj. I had always been told i could be a bruxer. and my daughter had told me long time ago that i could be having tmj issues. Anyway... I found videos that said if you poke here or there, it will hurt. and holee sheet, did it hurt. Since then i have been managing this. Everytime i found something, like acu pressure, stretching, strengthening, it would give me some temp relief. Anything is better than to take meds round the clock. I am at an ok spot right now, i think. My incisors don't feel like they will fall off when i tap my teeth, and i need to take alleve maybe 2-3 times a week. Most days I am ok.  Posture exercise and change of pillow did the final trick i guess. I have stopped doing strengthening exercises, coz i think it made it worse. Also, cutting off coffee and reducing tea. Thinking back, I had began having frequent coffee only from Jan this year. I have noticed my teeth hurt the days i drink 3 or more cups of tea a day. So i am avoiding it too. Can't wait for the year to turn around, and get some insurance again.

I don't have insomnia, just being tortured in my own bedroom by something faulty in the heating or vents. Last winter I tried to get XH to hear it. He would concentrate deeply, with his neck craned, and mine craned towards him, for about 30 seconds before i would ask, 'so? what do you think it is?' And he would go, 'i can't hear anything'. Seriously, the man is turning prematurely deaf. Anyhoos, today also, i woke up at 4 am from the noise, and turned my iphone app on. Slept fine until the alarm went off. But one of these days, I am gonna barge into his room to drag him to mine, or I will go downstairs and turn the heating off. That's definitely gonna wake him up, coz his room is the coldest in the house.

if you can narrow it down and localize it to specific area, why not leave a device for recording the sound?

garam_kuta

Posts : 3627
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:11 pm

i have i think. was told I am too sensitive about my sleep. Guess coz it echos the loudest in the middle of the night. And I ask him to hear late night, when there are a lot of surrounding noises. I know the exact vent it comes from. Daughter, whose room is next to mine, said she hears it too, but then she mocks me for being a light sleeper. Of course she mocks, coz she can't talk (or even whisper) on phone once I am in bed. Or she can't go down to have a midnight snack, coz I come running out of my room asking, 'is it you down there?'. God forbid if she opens the garage door to get a freezer snack. I run almost half way downstairs calling out her name. She is like, 'If you think someone broke into your house, don't you think you should stay put in your room ready to dial 911? Why do you run to see possibly harmful intruders?' anyhoos...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: posture

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum