Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thaumuturgy in the age of science -- a talk by V Balakrishnan

3 posters

Go down

Thaumuturgy in the age of science -- a talk by V Balakrishnan Empty Thaumuturgy in the age of science -- a talk by V Balakrishnan

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Entertaining talk. Two very interesting segments:

1) Listen from 42 where he is talking about how to recognize pseudoscience. He is talking about science but it has frightening echoes of the kind of behavior Trump engages in.

2) Listen to the segment starting at about the 54 min mark. Someone asks him about God and religion. I found his musings on God most unsatisfactory.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Thaumuturgy in the age of science -- a talk by V Balakrishnan Empty Re: Thaumuturgy in the age of science -- a talk by V Balakrishnan

Post by southindian Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:45 am

God

He or ANYONE knows about God exactly the same as you do.

i.e. Nothing! Smile

Religion

Religion was invented by humans. 

You may be following Religion version v5.3.5.6.7.899
 He may be following Religion version v7.3.5.6.7.7.23456

That's the only difference.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Thaumuturgy in the age of science -- a talk by V Balakrishnan Empty Re: Thaumuturgy in the age of science -- a talk by V Balakrishnan

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:48 am

southindian wrote:God

He or ANYONE knows about God exactly the same as you do.

i.e. Nothing! Smile

Religion

Religion was invented by humans. 

You may be following Religion version v5.3.5.6.7.899
 He may be following Religion version v7.3.5.6.7.7.23456

That's the only difference.

That's obvious, but I liked listening to the thoughts of someone I greatly admire as a teacher on a subject that has occupied a great deal of human mental space. Better than the Thursday night drunken rants we get on the subject from time to time.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Entertaining talk. Two very interesting segments:

1) Listen from 42 where he is talking about how to recognize pseudoscience.  He is talking about science but it has frightening echoes of the kind of behavior Trump engages in.

2) Listen to the segment starting at about the 54 min mark. Someone asks him about God and religion. I found his musings on God most unsatisfactory.  

He seems to be generalizing quite a bit based on his limited experience as an academic. There certainly are instances in which the established / existing industries and organizations are known to have dissuaded and posed roadblocks to new approaches and startups, even though he says that such claims and accusations are baseless.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down