Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neil Gorsuch

+6
Hellsangel
Idéfix
Maria S
Vakavaka Pakapaka
MaxEntropy_Man
pravalika nanda
10 posters

Go down

Neil Gorsuch Empty Neil Gorsuch

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:48 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Neil Gorsuch

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 pm

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/how-the-democrats-can-stop-neil-gorsuch

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:48 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2017/03/22/neil-gorsuch-regrets-to-inform-the-senate-that-he-is-not-god/?utm_term=.e9ef336e8b4a#comments

** he's elegant and nice in the confirmation hearings but i'm really really really worried. he's not really answered any qs, though in fact I only watched maybe 20 mins of it. Seems so nice and yet so scary.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Antonin Scalia disguised as a Hollywood star.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Antonin Scalia disguised as a Hollywood star.
yes, goddamn it, thank you. well put!

just check out the size of the cross on his wife. they are super-religious

https://www.romper.com/p/what-does-neil-gorsuchs-wife-think-about-his-court-opinions-shes-hugely-supportive-of-him-46376

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 pm

I wish I could catch at least 2-3hrs of it, hopefully will do that when I have time off but the senate conf is like super-edifying. I think it's must-watch TV.

in his exchange with cruz he mentions the hitchhikers guide. made me  pull out my dusty copy  that I never read.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm

you should leave this comment on other websites that you visit because it's so powerful and true. these guys scare me. we're just going to go backwards.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
yes, goddamn it, thank you. well put!

just check out the size of the cross on his wife. they are super-religious

https://www.romper.com/p/what-does-neil-gorsuchs-wife-think-about-his-court-opinions-shes-hugely-supportive-of-him-46376

Or as someone I know put it -- a fuckable Scalia.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 pm

She looks like Dracula who is ready to bite the victim on the neck.....

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 am

Cross on his wife..whoa, in this forum:)
Funny how it is all in the beholder's eyes..

*I was just thinking about Justice John Roberts..on this another (possibly historic day)..related to Health Care in the US. I was pleasantly surprised to see someone who is a conservative-republican, step out, tilt the scales and affirm ACA.  When I went back and looked at what possibly could have possibly made him do what he did on such a monumental decision, to me, the only thing which made sense was his own illness a few years before. Something he experienced when it comes to dealing with his health care, perhaps created empathy in him and he understood the struggles of others.

*Trying to be objective (letting go of the Merrick Garland tit-for-tat part)
and having watched parts of the Gorsuch hearings..the Trump choice could have been a lot worse.."gosh, golly, goodness" (as he says over and over again)..and of course "bigly"..may be a little goofy, but he is likeable and seems kind of refreshingly unhardened when it comes to ideology..

On a serious note..having been one, and around Episcopalians..in general, only few lean conservative, most are moderate, tolerant..even too liberal (if one can say that). So if that is any indication - a Catholic embracing Episcopalian denomination, because of his wife, think he will be moderate..can vote with either group, and this is a positive thing, imo.

*I still think a mother influences a man..more than any other woman in his life..what an interesting lady his late mother Ms. Anne Gorsuch Burford must have been! She seems well-accomplished (head of the EPA under Reagan), ..did not have an easy life, pretty, independent, spunky- warrior tough, and colorful:) 

Has an India connection: Used a Fulbright scholarship to study criminal law in India.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/22/us/anne-gorsuch-burford-62-reagan-epa-chief-dies.html

Kind of reminds me of Pres. Obama's mother's influence on him..traveled and lived outside of US.

If I had to guess, Gorsuch if confirmed, perhaps influenced by her, will be more independent and moderate in most important decisions.

I am more concerned about the future of Health Care in this country..what a mess.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:38 pm

Gorsuch has really poor judgement.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/03/21/opinions/judge-gorsuch-the-frozen-truck-driver-opinion-callan/index.html
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:18 am

Idéfix wrote:Gorsuch has really poor judgement.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/03/21/opinions/judge-gorsuch-the-frozen-truck-driver-opinion-callan/index.html

Yeah that's a doozy. The law apart, common sense! Some people seem to really lack it. What an idiot!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 am

Good Morning!

I don't know much about his rulings, and that particular one does seem bad.

There are so many big issues like women's reproductive rights, health care, which I am more concerned about.
At this point, looks like he is going to be confirmed, and seeing all the other awful choices Trump has made for his cabinet and people he surrounds himself, this person does not seem relatively speaking on the "list of worst - possibilities". Someone like Bill Pryor (who I know quite well- his background) will be really terrible, imo.

And it is my hope, looking at his background that he will have an independent streak in him, not vote with the conservatives all the time and..be more balanced. I could be certainly disappointed! 

Speaking of Health Care..kind of anxious to see what happens today..and in the next few weeks.

Hope you are doing well.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:00 pm

All's quiet on the Western front.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Indians are really screwed-up.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/neil-gorsuchs-ascent-highlights-washingtons-close-knit-legal-world-1491735601

Amid the bare-knuckles brawl over the Supreme Court, former Obama administration lawyer Neal Katyal broke with many Democrats to endorse nominee Neil Gorsuch, and Republicans in turn gave Mr. Katyal an unusually prominent role by having him introduce the judge at his confirmation hearing.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:51 am

Still think that he is better than others on the list *especially since he is replacing Scalia, and one can only hope that he turns out to have that independent streak, and will use discretion and surprise everyone at least from time to time.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Maria S wrote:Still think that he is better than others on the list *especially since he is replacing Scalia, and one can only hope that he turns out to have that independent streak, and will use discretion and surprise everyone at least from time to time.

Do not get fooled by the hollywood handsome looks. This guy is to the right of Scalia.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:Indians are really screwed-up.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/neil-gorsuchs-ascent-highlights-washingtons-close-knit-legal-world-1491735601

Amid the bare-knuckles brawl over the Supreme Court, former Obama administration lawyer Neal Katyal broke with many Democrats to endorse nominee Neil Gorsuch, and Republicans in turn gave Mr. Katyal an unusually prominent role by having him introduce the judge at his confirmation hearing.

A relatively low-cost and painless way for immigrants and second gen folks to rise politically is to align themselves with the GOP. This is difficult to do in the Dem party which already has plenty of minorities and is in fact often taken to task for pandering to minorities and immigrants. It's a crowded field. With the GOP it's a win-win.  The GOP needs to be able to defend itself from criticism of antagonism towards immigrants and minorities, and the minorities and immigrants need a platform where they're rare. Ergo a cheap solution is to align with the GOP. The GOP gets its token crazy smart Indian guy, and the Indian guy has the political field to himself with not much competition from other accomplished Indians. No surprises here.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

A relatively low-cost and painless way for immigrants and second gen folks to rise politically is to align themselves with the GOP. This is difficult to do in the Dem party which already has plenty of minorities and is in fact often taken to task for pandering to minorities and immigrants. It's a crowded field. With the GOP it's a win-win.  The GOP needs to be able to defend itself from criticism of antagonism towards immigrants and minorities, and the minorities and immigrants need a platform where they're rare. Ergo a cheap solution is to align with the GOP. The GOP gets its token crazy smart Indian guy, and the Indian guy has the political field to himself with not much competition from other accomplished Indians.  No surprises here.
Always a pleasure to watch you whine, Il Professore.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

A relatively low-cost and painless way for immigrants and second gen folks to rise politically is to align themselves with the GOP. This is difficult to do in the Dem party which already has plenty of minorities and is in fact often taken to task for pandering to minorities and immigrants. It's a crowded field. With the GOP it's a win-win.  The GOP needs to be able to defend itself from criticism of antagonism towards immigrants and minorities, and the minorities and immigrants need a platform where they're rare. Ergo a cheap solution is to align with the GOP. The GOP gets its token crazy smart Indian guy, and the Indian guy has the political field to himself with not much competition from other accomplished Indians.  No surprises here.
Always a pleasure to watch you whine, Il Professore.

things are tough out there for a liberal immigrant brown professor, man. brutal

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:11 pm

anyone else get the feeling on this thread that a certain fellow has homo/bi-sexuality in his present/future?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:anyone else get the feeling on this thread that a certain fellow has homo/bi-sexuality in his present/future?
He already has a thing for Trudeau and CNN's Anderson Cooper.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Maria S wrote:Still think that he is better than others on the list *especially since he is replacing Scalia, and one can only hope that he turns out to have that independent streak, and will use discretion and surprise everyone at least from time to time.

Do not get fooled by the hollywood handsome looks. This guy is to the right of Scalia.

Looks + Cross - good luck talking sanity to St Mariamma!  Rolling Eyes

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Hope you guys have watched this movie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_of_Genius_(film)

I remember a nice dialogue in this movie (based on a professor's  invention stolen by Ford Motors):    'Judgments are written by checkbooks....'.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 am

Has any hearing in recent memory resulted in a judge/official NOT being confirmed? What is the purpose of the hearings? Is it just kabuki theater or is there a productive purpose to it?
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 pm

silvermani wrote:Has any hearing in recent memory resulted in a judge/official NOT being confirmed? What is the purpose of the hearings? Is it just kabuki theater or is there a productive purpose to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bork
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

oh wait, 'neal and neil!"

http://abovethelaw.com/2006/08/neal-katyal-the-paris-hilton-of-the-legal-elite/

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
silvermani wrote:Has any hearing in recent memory resulted in a judge/official NOT being confirmed? What is the purpose of the hearings? Is it just kabuki theater or is there a productive purpose to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bork

By "Recent memory" I meant recent memory of CHers, not from history itself. Were you already in the US in 1987 and following such news?
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm

No just a curious American history buff.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down