Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'In my religion, meat is Ma Kali’s prasad': A Shakto Hindu objects to enforced vegetarianism

Go down

'In my religion, meat is Ma Kali’s prasad': A Shakto Hindu objects to enforced vegetarianism Empty 'In my religion, meat is Ma Kali’s prasad': A Shakto Hindu objects to enforced vegetarianism

Post by Guest Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:34 pm

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will enforce a two-day ban on the sale of meat and shut its slaughter-house during the Jain festival of Paryushan. Gurgaon in Haryana also has such a ban. Thankfully, I live in the jurisdiction of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, where chickens, goats and cows can be slaughtered all the time and sold throughout the city without sensitivities being ruffled. However, the meat bans put into place in several other Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled states in response to the demands of their political backers are worrisome to my faith and me.

I belong to a clan of Shaktos (devotees of the Mother Goddess or Shakti) and we worship Ma Durga and Ma Kali. It’s my fortune that I live in Kolkata’s Chetla locality that is across the nearly-dead Adi Ganga (the original flow of the Ganga) river from the powerful divine seat of Ma Kali called Kalighat. This Shaktipeeth is one of the holiest sites of our Shakto universe. Here, our people have always offered animals as sacrifice to our divine mother. We consider this meat as Ma Kali’s prasad. For those who can’t afford to sacrifice a whole goat, the meat of animals that have been offered to the goddess are sold from small outlets near the temple.

When parts of Ma Sati’s dead body fell onto earth, each of those sites became a Shaktipeeth. Of the 51 Shaktipeeths on earth, Bengal is blessed with 16, of which West Bengal has 11. Some are in Assam and Nepal. At most of the Shaktipeeths, animal sacrifices are almost a daily affair. It‘s a part and parcel of our faith. By pushing a certain Hindi-belt consensus of certain communities on the question of animal slaughter and meat-eating, people like us are being reduced to second-grade Hindus. This is also why our practices need to be protected from this brand of virat Hinduism that privileges certain religious practices over others.

https://scroll.in/article/755412/in-my-religion-meat-is-ma-kalis-prasad-a-shakto-hindu-objects-to-enforced-vegetarianism

Back to top Go down

'In my religion, meat is Ma Kali’s prasad': A Shakto Hindu objects to enforced vegetarianism Empty Re: 'In my religion, meat is Ma Kali’s prasad': A Shakto Hindu objects to enforced vegetarianism

Post by Guest Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:55 pm

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Not-Just-Bengalis-Eat-Meat-During-Durga-Pujo-Meet-Indias-Other-Devout-MeatEating-Hindus/#.nj27xdah1

Back to top Go down

'In my religion, meat is Ma Kali’s prasad': A Shakto Hindu objects to enforced vegetarianism Empty Re: 'In my religion, meat is Ma Kali’s prasad': A Shakto Hindu objects to enforced vegetarianism

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down