Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Example of large discussions (2600+ comments) on the other forum

3 posters

Go down

Example of large discussions (2600+ comments) on the other forum Empty Example of large discussions (2600+ comments) on the other forum

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Here's an example of large-scale discussions on the other forum (http://www.reddit.com/r/Coffeehouse/). It has over 2,600 comments on the below thread about the Obama healthcare bill:

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/gznyk/what_obama_care_has_done_for_me/

It seems to handle the many sub-threads and tangential discussions elegantly, and you never lose track of a particular thread of discussion or to whom you are replying and who is replying to you. This is one of the main reasons I'd like us to try the other forum for one of our mega discussions.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Example of large discussions (2600+ comments) on the other forum Empty Re: Example of large discussions (2600+ comments) on the other forum

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:40 pm

The other thing is that you can vote on individual comments. So, the most popular comments automatically go up to the top and become more visible, leading to more active discussions.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Example of large discussions (2600+ comments) on the other forum Empty Re: Example of large discussions (2600+ comments) on the other forum

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:01 pm

but reddit crashes at least once a week..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:07 pm

SomeProfile wrote:The other thing is that you can vote on individual comments. So, the most popular comments automatically go up to the top and become more visible, leading to more active discussions.

Is there some way to make the reddit interface have more visual cues to the structure? Right now it looks like a lot of text. I guess I kind of got used to the color cues for indenting -- although I hadn't liked it when Sulekha first implemented it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Admin wrote:
Is there some way to make the reddit interface have more visual cues to the structure? Right now it looks like a lot of text. I guess I kind of got used to the color cues for indenting -- although I hadn't liked it when Sulekha first implemented it.

I have been researching customization options for that site. AFAIK, the only way to customize the interface is by using CSS stylesheets. I have done very little work with stylesheets, but it isn't rocket science. We could do it if we wanted to. But like you mentioned with Sulekha, this is just something that your eyes get used to once you visit a web page a few times and become familiar with the layout. After that you instinctively work with the structure as it is.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Is there some way to make the reddit interface have more visual cues to the structure? Right now it looks like a lot of text. I guess I kind of got used to the color cues for indenting -- although I hadn't liked it when Sulekha first implemented it. [/quote]

you will get used to reddit's interface very quicky..

it is very good..if you have Reddit enhancement suite add on to your firefox..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:14 pm

SomeProfile wrote:
Admin wrote:

I have been researching customization options for that site. AFAIK, the only way to customize the interface is by using CSS stylesheets. I have done very little work with stylesheets, but it isn't rocket science. We could do it if we wanted to. But like you mentioned with Sulekha, this is just something that your eyes get used to once you visit a web page a few times and become familiar with the layout. After that you instinctively work with the structure as it is.

I tried reading this thread you posted, and I got a headache. Will spend more time on the site.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
you will get used to reddit's interface very quicky..

it is very good..if you have Reddit enhancement suite add on to your firefox..

What functionality does the enhancement suite give?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:33 pm

RES helps with the commenting.you can save comments..threads look readable..
if a comment has images or u tube videos it is easy to open without a new tab..
i don't know if you have it..if you are regular redditor it is very very helpful.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 pm

hi SP
i saw ur pm this morning. the site looks really harmless. like noone will know wat i am doing unless they realllyyy read everything. the page layout is not my fav and my desk is placed such that noone can see my screen unless they come to my side but i am open to any forum everyone likes.
do we have smileys on reddit?
also, last nite when i was taking my cursor to the red envelop, it said no new messages. thats y i didnt click on it Neutral

looks like this is gona be it.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:

RES helps with the commenting.you can save comments..threads look readable..
if a comment has images or u tube videos it is easy to open without a new tab..
i don't know if you have it..if you are regular redditor it is very very helpful.

Interesting. If we decide to use Reddit as our forum, I might check out RES. Thanks.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:38 pm

seven wrote:do we have smileys on reddit?

Probably no smileys. I didn't see them in the edit box help. Doofus seems to be more familiar with the site. He could confirm.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down