Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanskrit-Tamil synthesis in Thirukkural

Go down

Sanskrit-Tamil synthesis in Thirukkural Empty Sanskrit-Tamil synthesis in Thirukkural

Post by Guest Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:29 am

I am informed that almost every second word in the very first couplet of the Thirukkural is a sanskrit word. This is also indicative of the fact that the author of this work was most probably a brahmin.

Back to top Go down

Sanskrit-Tamil synthesis in Thirukkural Empty Re: Sanskrit-Tamil synthesis in Thirukkural

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:06 am

Rashmun,

I dont think I ever read one of your synthesis posts. Because this is about kural I read this. Now I know at least some of your posts are born out of ignorance.

First couplet is

akara muthala ezuththellamm, aathi
pakavan muthaRRee ulaku.

Tamil and Sanskrit supporters may argue over the word pakavan (it could be Tamil, it could be Sanskrit. I am making a conclusion here). All other words are unarguably Tamil.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Sanskrit-Tamil synthesis in Thirukkural Empty Re: Sanskrit-Tamil synthesis in Thirukkural

Post by Guest Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmun,

I dont think I ever read one of your synthesis posts. Because this is about kural I read this. Now I know at least some of your posts are born out of ignorance.

First couplet is

pakavan muthaRRee ulaku.

Tamil and Sanskrit supporters may argue over the word pakavan (it could be Tamil, it could be Sanskrit. I am making a conclusion here). All other words are unarguably Tamil.

My tamil friend says it should be mudhatrey, not mutharree.

he says it should be bagavan, not pakavan.

aathi is from the sanskrit word adi meaning first. So aathi bagavan = adi bhagavan = first God.

ulaku, he says, is derived from the sanskrit word paralok meaning heaven or abode of the Gods.

So three out of the seven words in the very first couplet of Thirukkural are sanskrit words.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Yoiur Tamil friend lacks in the depth of her knowledge of Tamil.

mthaRRee is the correct way to type in Tamil. Unicode will type it in Tamil correctly. If you type muthatee, it will type wrongly.

ulaku and aathi are of Tamil origin. Ulaku from the root word ul and aathi from the root a.

Ask your Tamil friend to read
http://www.tamiltribune.com/tamil-etymology/index.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:13 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmun,

First couplet is

pakavan muthaRRee ulaku.

My tamil friend says it should be mudhatrey, not mutharree.

he says it should be bagavan, not pakavan.

aathi is from the sanskrit word adi meaning first. So aathi bagavan = adi bhagavan = first God.

ulaku, he says, is derived from the sanskrit word paralok meaning heaven or abode of the Gods.

So three out of the seven words in the very first couplet of Thirukkural are sanskrit words.

spoke with another tamil expert. he agreed with the statement aathi bagavan = adi bhagavan = first God.

However, he claimed ulaku is derived from the sanskrit word lokam meaning world (and not paralok as i had written in my previous post).

He also claimed that the word 'akara' in the very first couplet of the kural (given by KV in her first post in this thread) is derived from the sanskrit word 'akshara' meaning the alphabet.

If this is correct then four of the seven words in the very first couplet of the kural are Sanskrit words. (Or, in other words, more than 50% of the words in the very first couplet of the kural are Sanskrit words.)

Wow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down