Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindi or No Hindi?

4 posters

Go down

Hindi or No Hindi? Empty Hindi or No Hindi?

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 am

"In many parts of south India, Hindi is a foreign language," Satish Deshpande, a professor of sociology at Delhi University, told the BBC. "In recent cases where a state has tried to cater to Hindi-speaking people over the regional population, there has been uproar because language is a part of their identity - it's a strong marker of boundaries in India."
"I found it very difficult to learn the Malayalam language because the people in Kerala, largely, do not even speak Hindi," Abdul Rehman, a construction worker from West Bengal, told BBC Hindi. "It was tough initially but I learnt it."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40959133

Would a SI worker from Chennai or Andhra, when he migrates to Delhi or Kolkata, complain that he finds it difficult to learn Hindi or Bengali because no one there speaks his native tongue.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Hindi or No Hindi? Empty Re: Hindi or No Hindi?

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 am

Another article on the generalization based on a single person's opinion / statement.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:53 am

If the jobs are in SI, smart NIs who end up working in SI will eventually learn the local language. I have seen Punjabis in Secunderabad speaking in Telugu, coastal Andhra and Kannadiga people in Chennai speaking in chaste Tamil and Telugus and Tamils in Bengaluru/Hosur speaking in Kannada. Necessity is the mother of invention.....

I have, however, seen some NIs who refuse to learn the local language. Usually, they end up returning back to places where Hindi is in common use. Such people usually end up impeding their own progress.......

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Read this

http://www.tamiltribune.com/13/0301.html

Article: Hindi Street Signboards in Madurai Removed

OUTLINE

1. Background

2. Tourist Revenue and Hindi Street Signs

3. Are We Accepting Hindi Imperialism?

4. Are We Opposed to a Third Language on Street Signs? No!

5. Are We Opposed to Hindi on Street Signs? Yes!

6. Hindi Street Names Sends the Wrong Message

7. When Indian Government does not Use Tamil in its Offices in Tamilnadu, Why Should We Put Hindi Signs in Madurai?

8. Additional Information

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down