Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Indians make Coimbatore their second home

Go down

North Indians make Coimbatore their second home Empty North Indians make Coimbatore their second home

Post by Guest Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:21 am

Amit Tiwari, a Central Government employee, came to Coimbatore from Bihar three years ago following his transfer. New to the language and culture of Tamil Nadu, he says, “Language was a barrier initially. I especially found it difficult when I went shopping in the city or to the saloon.” However, now, he prefers to continue staying here.
Having worked in Bengaluru and Chennai, Sonam Tripathi, an IT professional says, “Coimbatore has every thing I expect and is a secure city for women.” However, the IT industry needs to grow further here, she says.
For many like Mr. Tiwari and Ms. Tripathi, Coimbatore is a second home. Though they came to the city only because of work, they now find it a comfortable and secure place.

Coimbatore is home to a large number of people from other States. Some are businessmen, professionals and students. Some moved to the city decades ago with their family. Though the city is fast turning into an education hub, better healthcare facilities and pleasant weather, increasing cost of living is an issue. Samir Deb Roy, an ex-serviceman from Kolkatta, says, “residing in Coimbatore for almost four years, I must say that the cost of living is high, though it is a well-maintained place and travelling is easier.”

According to Harish Kothari, who is a committee member of the Gujarati Samaj, Coimbatore, “over 700 Gujarati families are here. Earlier, R.S. Puram had a great number of Gujaratis. Now, there are Gujarati families living across the city.”
“Almost 70 per cent of Gujaratis are into textile business. However, there are people who work in the Government departments and professionals who have moved to Coimbatore,” he adds.

Divya Bafna, a Rajasthani, came to the city four years ago with her family. “My husband is into business (plywood). People here are hospitable and I have never felt it difficult to shop or travel as a large number of people speaks English,” she says.
Communities from different states organise their local festivals and celebrations and have brought their art forms to the city. There are regular fairs of handicrafts from various north Indian States.

With more people coming to the city to work here, there is however, a need for better train connectivity to the north Indian States.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Coimbatore/North-Indians-make-Coimbatore-their-second-home/article14509980.ece

Back to top Go down