Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

death in the gunj

Go down

death in the gunj Empty death in the gunj

Post by Guest Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm

a period movie, based in 1978-79. Features some anglo Indians in bihar/Calcutta, and follows the turmoil of a young guy.

Stellar performances by almost all the actors i like, and i like period dramas in general... well made by debutant director konkana sen-sharma. Funny she directed her ex-husband (i think) in this. Was disappointed in the end, but that's coz i was so invested in the characters, and not coz i thought it was lame. Watchable...

Back to top Go down

death in the gunj Empty Re: death in the gunj

Post by ashdoc Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 am

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 am

The end of the movie becomes all too clear at this point , but it also seems meaningless . What does the director want to say , that people in the position of Shutu should end their lives ? That they should not try to improve or better their lowly position ? That they have no hope ? The critics are praising the film ( which is why I went to see it ) but as an ordinary person I could not make sense of the ending . 
hey that was a spoiler, not cool, coz based on the first scene, and leading to the last moment, you weren't exactly sure if this movie is about suicide or murder. Luckily, i avoid all reviews before i watch any movie. 

i don't know... this was the kind of movie you watch for the art. If all movies were made with the purpose of 'providing a teaching', it would get real boring real fast. I didn't see any justification of his suicide in the movie, so I am not sure why you got that message from it. It just showed a sad clueless audience that didn't realize the extent of his turmoil up until the end. In the movie most of them didn't know he had failed up until the end. They only knew he spends most time with them babysitting but they didn't know it's coz he was kicked out of the hostel. But the director gave us, the audience, a lot of subtle clues about his violent mindset, mostly when he's playing with the kid, and that's what was interesting to me. If there is a lesson from this, it is probably to get more vigilant about people around you who seem disturbed for one reason or another.

I have lost 3 acquaintances and 2 cousins to suicide. All had issues going on for a year or more leading to it, all had families trying to resolve it. None of their acts seem justified. All of their acts seemed preventable. The way our minds are conditioned, a suicide in NEVER justified. But still, a lot of people do it. That's how the movie was close to reality, I guess. Of course it was much more dramatized in the movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down