Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

memories

2 posters

Go down

memories Empty memories

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:02 pm

I think i was 9 or 10 years old when we went to Rameshwaram. Early 80s. It was a women's and kids' trip. Mom, we 3 kids, and one fam friend aunt. 

I remember the journey a little bit. It was an impromtu plan and hence no reservations. So I think we took a bus from kodai kanal to somewhere  and then we somehow crammed into a women's compartment to rameshwaram. It had wooden bench seats, and was filled with fisherwomen with fish and stank like crazy. We somehow survived that and checked into a reasonably clean hotel right next to the shore. Woke up early next morning, and walked to the beach. I remember my mom and aunty being a little bit flustered, but didn't think much of it. It was a glorious sunrise, and we three took a nice dip in the cool water. In those days, it was rare for us to have pictures taken, but we have a couple of really good pics of us in water. 

I was witnessing another each coast beach sunrise today. A bit later, I facetimed home and showed mom and rest the view. Then I said, 'Rameshwaram waali feeling aa rahi hai'. From the back bro said, 'you mean of all the people sitting along the shore with their backs turned to the sea?' I was like, huh? All began laughing. Someone said, 'maybe now they don't do potty on the beach, people are more strict now about these things'. I was like - what are you talking about? I have no memory of that. And bro is like - the moment you said 'feels like rameshwaram', that's the feeling i got. 

Lol. I have either selective memory, or was too young to notice before being pushed over by my mom. I was like - if people were pooping there, why did we go in the water? So then they said - no we walked up a lot to an area where people were bathing. I do have a vague memory of being pushed to walk away a lot, but didn't catch, or don't remember this being the reason. 

Same trip. Different sibs. different memories. 

Today, kids and I talked over lunch. We named each trip we been to together, and ask each other what visual comes to mind the moment we talk or think of that trip. Somehow mine were always the prettiest memories, with only few random visuals. An interesting exercise though.

Back to top Go down

memories Empty Re: memories

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:25 pm

typos lol east* coast

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:55 am

Is this the trip with Madhur aunty?Smile
I remember a trip when I was 5 when we visited various temples, but my parents dropped the kids off at my uncle”s place and went to Rameshwaram on their own.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:12 am

Oh wow you remember that story! Yep it was with her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:10 am

rasāsvāda wrote:I think i was 9 or 10 years old when we went to Rameshwaram. Early 80s. It was a women's and kids' trip. Mom, we 3 kids, and one fam friend aunt. 

I remember the journey a little bit. It was an impromtu plan and hence no reservations. So I think we took a bus from kodai kanal to somewhere  and then we somehow crammed into a women's compartment to rameshwaram. It had wooden bench seats, and was filled with fisherwomen with fish and stank like crazy. We somehow survived that and checked into a reasonably clean hotel right next to the shore. Woke up early next morning, and walked to the beach. I remember my mom and aunty being a little bit flustered, but didn't think much of it. It was a glorious sunrise, and we three took a nice dip in the cool water. In those days, it was rare for us to have pictures taken, but we have a couple of really good pics of us in water. 

I was witnessing another each coast beach sunrise today. A bit later, I facetimed home and showed mom and rest the view. Then I said, 'Rameshwaram waali feeling aa rahi hai'. From the back bro said, 'you mean of all the people sitting along the shore with their backs turned to the sea?' I was like, huh? All began laughing. Someone said, 'maybe now they don't do potty on the beach, people are more strict now about these things'. I was like - what are you talking about? I have no memory of that. And bro is like - the moment you said 'feels like rameshwaram', that's the feeling i got. 

Lol. I have either selective memory, or was too young to notice before being pushed over by my mom. I was like - if people were pooping there, why did we go in the water? So then they said - no we walked up a lot to an area where people were bathing. I do have a vague memory of being pushed to walk away a lot, but didn't catch, or don't remember this being the reason. 

Same trip. Different sibs. different memories. 

Today, kids and I talked over lunch. We named each trip we been to together, and ask each other what visual comes to mind the moment we talk or think of that trip. Somehow mine were always the prettiest memories, with only few random visuals. An interesting exercise though.
It seems you were looking at the positive side of things (like at a glass half-full, instead of half-empty) -- good quality. 

Anyway, here is something on the title of this post ("memories") --
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:34 am

beautiful song in a beautiful voice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content