Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A post-Teachers Day surprise

Go down

A post-Teachers Day surprise Empty A post-Teachers Day surprise

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Just came across accidentally the following old, slightly bruised copy of my Ph.D. thesis defence notice (1978, p. 1-4) with many teachers' names on it. Certainly a nice find around this year's Teachers Day (Sept. 5'2018).  Thanks to all my teachers in the past, and a happy belated Teachers Day to everyone!

: Subhash C. Sharma 
(Sept. 8'2018)

----------
A post-Teachers Day surprise Ph-d-thesis-oral-notice-p-1-1    A post-Teachers Day surprise Ph-d-thesis-oral-notice-p-2-1    A post-Teachers Day surprise Ph-d-thesis-oral-notice-p-3-1    A post-Teachers Day surprise Ph-d-thesis-oral-notice-p-4-1
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

A post-Teachers Day surprise Empty Re: A post-Teachers Day surprise

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:27 pm

awesome Seva... 

I recognized some subjects there. Control Systems, part of electrical engg subjects that we had. Was in my 7th sem. We had a very eccentric bong teacher for it, who was known to be tough and fail people, even in vivas. I remember when I got up in the exam to ask for a (graph?) paper, that's when some kids realized they have to use it too, hehe.  And I did well in the viva too, the teacher himself looked at me with more surprise and delight. Now I remember ZERO of it. 

Last year my niece found a copy of my transcripts. Let me go and check what grade I got in that... 

Also ringing bell - thermodynamics, non-linear systems, etc. Part of other sujects, or math. Wow I have zero memory.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm

ok cool... my memory isn't so bad. 73/100 in theory (have to explain kids here that that's actually a decent grade), and 41/50 in practical (viva). 

A post-Teachers Day surprise POj9FGx

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Nice grades you got, R.V. - congrats. 

Thanks for the comment.

Btw, just for the record, Teachers Day on Sept. 5 every year in India celebrates the birth anniversary of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan.

Last edited by Seva Lamberdar on Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:16 pm

talking of teachers... 

i remember when we went back to India to get married, there was a lot of confusion and chaos, coz even until a week before the wedding, we didn't know if it will happen or not. Invitation cards were printed only then, and distant relatives were invited over phone with apologies (and some even got missed lol). 

but even in that chaos, XH managed to invite EVERYONE in town, including the canteen-waala in his high school. So on our reception stage, all the college teachers from his department (some of whom taught me too), walked up on the stage, and one of the teachers, obviously not recognizing me in my bridal avatar introduced themselves to me - 'hello, congratulations! we are all his teachers from his college'. I guess in the rush xh forgot to tell them that he was marrying a fellow student. I was too shy (it was loud on the stage and my voice is very low in general) to correct them at the time, so I just nodded, smiled and greeted them back, namaste, etc. Didn't want to break their cheerfulness with my correction. And then if even i had told them that i am their student too, it would have been awkward to stand there and wait for them to recognize me. Was funny though. 

Speaking of the wedding, grr... all our pics (from the 90s) are in bulky albums, with the plastic sticking to the pics. I bought a $200 printer to scan them all at home, but XH convinced me to return it coz - 'i can get it done much cheaper from costco'. Been 3 months. No costco, no pics. Let me go create a stink about it now.  Mad (meaning click a pic of them and send it to XH - i have calmed down with age that way)

(Sorry Seva, didn't mean to sabotage your thread)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Nice grades you got, R.V. - congrats. 

Thanks for the comment.

Btw, just for the record, Teachers Day on Sept. 5 every year in India celebrates the birth anniversary of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan.

oh yes i know Smile in high school, the 12 graders would teach all the younger kids for half day in school. Then for the second half, we would greet the teachers and present them a dance/drama/singing show prepared by kids from 6th-12th grades. 

Besides, you can hardly miss an occasion these days, thanks to whatsapp. I have 10-11 schoolmates who are now either teachers, or in school admin. So yeah, hard to miss this date.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 am

rasāsvāda wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:Nice grades you got, R.V. - congrats. 

Thanks for the comment.

oh yes i know Smile in high school, the 12 graders would teach all the younger kids for half day in school. Then for the second half, we would greet the teachers and present them a dance/drama/singing show prepared by kids from 6th-12th grades. 

Besides, you can hardly miss an occasion these days, thanks to whatsapp. I have 10-11 schoolmates who are now either teachers, or in school admin. So yeah, hard to miss this date.

Some more info. in the following about Dharamshala (including the college there I attended for my gr. 12 / pre-engineering, 1964-65).

The IPL cricket matches played in Dharamshala these days are held in the Govt. college Dharamshala stadium, with beautiful Himalayan (Dhauladhar mountain) background and only about a km from the college campus. There is also a large Buddhist monastery in Dharamshala (in the suburb 'McLeod Ganj'), which I think had started after His Holiness The Dalai Lama and his followers settled down in India in Dharamshala area after leaving Tibet during early 1960s. The Dalai Lama was then just a young man in his twenties; I saw him a number of times during his visits to Kangra where I used to be a student (G.A.V. Hr. / Sec. school Kangra) from 1961 to 1964.

I usually still go and see my old college a few times at Dharamshala whenever I am in India visiting my relatives in H.P. Incidentally, when I was building a house in Ansoli (my ancestral village near Dharamshala) during a visit to India in 2005, I happened to get the opportunity to deliver the following lecture (based on my study of the Vedas and other ancient texts) to a large audience (including some newsmen) at my old college,
"General social, philosophical and religious misconceptions about Hinduism": http://www.geocities.ws/lamberdar/misconceptions.html

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down